Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Wonder if the contracts allow them to walk away on the shutter of Grantland if they want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

That's maybe the most concise description of the problem with PFT at Barstool that I've heard.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Zeeman posted:

I just finished reading Upon Further Review, which is a book where a bunch of people wrote about what-ifs in sport, and it's mostly pretty good, but Jon Bois' chapter, entitled "What If Basketball Rims Were Smaller than Than Basketballs?", is one of the funniest things I've ever read in my life

I agree with every aspect of this post. I haven’t broken into a giggle fit at a book in a long time, but this did it. Don’t seek it out— just read through and come to it when you come to it. It’s much funnier that way, I think.

There’s also a companion podcast that did audio versions of some stories, including Robert Siegel’s report on the Brooklyn Dodgers’ 2018 move to LA, Jesse Eisenberg’s lament for single-handedly ruining the Phoenix Suns when he was a kid, and Steve Kornacki calling a sports show from a future where Bledsoe never got injured and Brady never played.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Noctone posted:

You really need to click through on the HamNo story though, it's not what you think.

I think he's referring to it appearing directly below a referral-link-laden ad for stuff on Amazon.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Tronc is a private equity firm, so they don't give a hot poo poo about what they actually produce. The plan is to buy the company with tons of borrowing, have the company assume liability for the borrowing, then extract as much money from the company as you can before it goes bankrupt. (It was this pattern that killed Toys R Us-- if it hadn't been for the massive amount of debt that the company was required to service by its private equity owners, it would have posted a continual profit.) It should be the sort of behavior that leads to long jail sentences, but this is America. NYDN is now on its death spiral, and tronc will probably announce its closure within a few years mumbling something about great regret.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

It’s also funnier this way.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Loving the six year gap here. New social media intern having a rough start.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

That’s like the worst response possible. That’s a “well every firing for the next year will go to court” level bad response. That’s a “the state AG sat up in their chair” level bad response. That’s a “fire this idiot as damage control” level bad response.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

In a perfect world, a rich dipshit who wants a public profile as a socially-conscious renegade would swoop in, dump a shitload of money on the current GMG staff to sweep them all up, and let them run a site as they want to.

In a perfect world.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Akileese posted:

So it looks like G/O is going after the editorial staff in full, not just Deadspin. Jason Schreier of Kotaku just made a cryptic tweet about not knowing what's next.

That might be that folks see the writing is on the wall.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Deadspin was like the one blog I visited directly. Such a loving bummer. I hope folks land places.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

I wonder when Magary's contract is up at Deadspin.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

A late contender for best resignation announcement, too.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Half the twitter comments on the official Deadspin post are calling me a scab so, honestly? That might be for the best.

I mean, you were part of Roth's last wave of pre-edited posts, right? That was basically him making sure you got paid for work you did before the walkout. That ain't scabbing.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

I am in the wrong thread entirely. Don't mind me.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

R.D. Mangles posted:

stick to sports

Oh no. Do I have to quit posting now? :ohdear:

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

I mean, SBNation is the site amongst their stuff that got hit hardest by the shutdown. If they were going to furlough people, it makes sense that it's from there, but it's still a huge bummer.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

General Dog posted:

It’s hard to overstate how good Jon Bois’ ongoing series about the Mariners is. Some significant fraction of all of the written words and podcast minutes that have gone to digesting The Last Dance should be going to this instead (although The Last Dance is also quite engaging).

Oh, absolutely; his MMA doc didn't hit quite right with me, but this Mariners one is excellent.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Aw hell yeah. Signing up when I get back to my PC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Media orgs can get libel insurance. Gawker died because the suit was deliberately targeted to fall into a gap in coverage that left Gawker on the hook.