Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I wasn't sure where to post this, but hopefully I'll get some useful replies in this thread. With The Tony Kornheiser Show off for the summer, what radio/podcasts should I listen to for entertainment and/or edification?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Vertical Lime posted:

ESPN's April-June primetime ratings are down some 32 percent from last year :stare:

http://deadspin.com/espns-ratings-a...dium=socialflow

Maybe we're finally getting smarter. Or the Western Conference finals were a dud.
The only things I would have watched during that period are early round coverage of The Masters and US Open (golf). Their coverage of the French Open (tennis) was abysmal and the legendary semifinal between Djokovic and Nadal was on NBC.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Tiger's only wearing a half-red shirt on a Sunday, and he's going to having an awful finish at the PGA Championship.

The headlines write themselves.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Hang Up and Listen is all kinds of amazing, but it only comes out once a week and I need my fix. Fortunately, they have 4 years of backlogs on their website, and it's interesting to see hear how things were different back in 2009 vis-a-vis Tebow: http://www.slate.com/articles/podcasts/hang_up_and_listen/2009/08/hang_up_and_listen_the_mighty_gator_edition.html

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

This is pretty hilarious: http://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2013/9/12/4721352/coach-k-is-madly-in-love-with-beyonce-claims-to-be-coolest-65-year-old

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Saw someone named Michele Steele reporting from Jets/Pats for ESPN. Didn't recognize her, Googled her, and it looks like she used to be a business reporter for Forbes. :wtc: Does ESPN just hire any pretty face?

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Sep 12, 2013

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Are we upset about Rick Reilly's piece because, even though it's clearly in jest, his position is wrong? :confused:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Whaaat? So Reilly really wasn't being sarcastic? :psyboom:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Sash! posted:

Golf and tennis would be greatly improved by screaming fans.

Also there would be snipers strategically scattered about to pick off anyone that yells "get in the hole" at golf.
There's no problem with constant noise. The problem is silence randomly interrupted by sound. If the same thing happened when a baseball player was trying to hit or quarterback trying to throw or a kicker trying to make a field goal or a basketball player trying to shoot a free throw, they'd all gently caress up too.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Mornacale posted:

Some basketball team really should try to get their fans to do this for opponent free throws.
Unfortunately, people are stupid and think that waving poo poo around and yelling will be distracting, ignoring the evolutionary capacity of humans to filter out white noise.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

That's the opposite of white noise :colbert:

(also that's literally white noise)

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I love PTI

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Toffile posted:

I never knew Kornheiser was a Bret Michaels fan.
I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic, but he's Lindsey Vonn to Wilbon's Tiger Woods.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

leokitty posted:

CBS Sports laid off a bunch of people including their two baseball columnists Scott Miller and Danny Knobler. They also scrubbed them completely from the site, meaning their archives are gone.
What if they're secretly being hired by Nate Silver's new ESPN FiveThirtyEight?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Hand Knit posted:

I'm not old enough to have the greatest memory, but I think there's maybe one or two other sporting related times in his life that might be more significant.
They showed Obama's press conference about Mandela. This is basically an impromptu Outside The Lines.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

What's a good alternative to ESPN for schedules/realtime scores?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

DJExile posted:

Everyone should like Katie Nolan, but i wouldn't be shocked if he liked her to a creepy degree
Isn't Simmons married?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Cool Buff Man posted:

Stop worrying about who Bill Simmons might have a crush on, probably
We're just jealous we can't act on our crushes like he can

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

DJExile posted:

http://deadspin.com/fs1-host-dan-o-toole-blasts-fox-sports-for-layoffs-1757823253

Dan O'Toole gives no gently caress and is teeing off on Fox Sports for the layoffs.
I remember when, early on, they were asked why they left TSN and said something like they couldn't turn down the opportunity.

I hope they land on their feet, but really, who didn't see this coming?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Sports purists should love golf then since a 300 yard drives counts the same as a 1" putt.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I always thought ESPN closed down Grantland because the network was losing cable subscribers and they couldn't afford to support a site that didn't make money. Is that not right?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Veshpo posted:

Teams whose tickets end up selling for significantly more on the secondhand market should probably raise their prices. Teams whose tickets sell for significantly less on the secondary should probably lower their prices.
You could, probably, raise Patriots tickets or something like that to $1,000 for the cheapest seats and still get a sellout.

That's clearly a terrible move for the fan base though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The Athletic financials feel like writers who are trying to get paid like Stephen A. Smith.