Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

OFFICIAL SAS 90s REMEMBERER

Parlett316 posted:

drat I must a touched a nerve poster chutwig! Maybe you should take some mydol and settle down!

Shut up and take your casual misogyny back to TFF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

Groucho Marxist posted:

The dude who wrote this loving owns

I wonder if we'll ever meet this mysterious man :allears:

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

My grandmother hasn't watched a single baseball game since the Dodgers left. :smith:

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

Derek Jeter is loving Cooked

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

Bob Shabazz posted:

Mobutu Sese Seko is hardly some guy

He also most certainly did "thangs"

\

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

Are we allowed to post our own bad sports writing? Because I did a thing. It's a poem.

https://tinyurl.com/3q2vraj

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

Mornacale posted:

Traditional form is dead, free verse forever. Rhymeschemers :getout:

:colbert:

Sorry that you hate nice things. :mad:

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

Why don't you go write a technical manual about it, nerd

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

AlleyViper posted:

Too many modern players. Give the old timers some love :colbert:

L is for Lajoie

L is for Lofton
Thief extraordinaire
Ask where he's played
He'll say "everywhere"

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

Marcus Thames is like the river, but Eric Thames is apparently Thaymes which is stupid

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

Bigass Moth posted:

I know but looking back in history there aren't many 3000 hit guys who were in their prime except for maybe Pete Rose and Ty Cobb so it is still a big deal. Especially for a True Yankee.

God, I hate that last bit.

Player X approaches extremely rare milestone - "He's almost there, good for him :unsmith:"

Yankee approaches extremely rare milestone - "OH MY GOD WE'LL NEVER HEAR THE END OF IT :qq:"

e: i mean, it's true but come on this is a pretty cool thing happening

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

A drat FOG posted:

There is literally nothing cool or interesting about a boring rear end dude reaching an arbitrary round number of a marginally meaningful counting stat, it's not about gently caress da Yankees because I like the Yankees it's just really not interesting at all.

Baseball is futility

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

Badfinger posted:

And also the weird air of reporting where people are more focused on Paterno than on Sandusky. It may shock some people to learn that Joe Paterno is not, in fact, a child molester.

Guilt through inaction is still guilt, hth. He himself is not a child molester but he kept around a dude who was, and usually when someone has multiple accusations of molestation levied at him it's a smart idea to distance yourself from him. Penn State as a whole isn't really smelling like roses after this, but Paterno needs to realize that what he did was awful, but inexcusable in every sense of the word.

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

e: irrelevant

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

Holocausplay posted:

I agree that making a sign is not an invitation to be harassed, and assuming such is unreasonable, but, by the same token, publishing a person's name is not a call to harass them, and it's just as much of a leap to impute that motive to them. (If we wanted to stop dumbshit from being done with content from the internet, we'd have to shut down the internet. We can't even have a decently democratized encyclopedia without retards filling it with anime, Ron Paul facts or Ty Pepper shooting himself in the anus.) Anyway, there are anywhere from 69 to 420 reasons to post the girl's name, but it would take me over 9,000 seconds to explain them all, so just take one: lo, though they may not post alongside the denizens of SAS or share the rarified tastes of a Bob Costas, there are thousands of squalid, rutting proles in these United States who were curious about that memorable sign; they will click on even the most fleeting and insignificant information about it, and those clicks create money, which can be used to obtain goods and services. It's crass and materialistic and of almost zero informational substance, but if we wanted to put a stop to that, that would be another reason to shut down the entire internet, dynamite every local news station, set fire to every Features desk in America, remove the infographic as a phenomenon, end the national nightly news ten minutes earlier, get rid of cable news entirely, and on and on. I can sympathize with disdaining the profit motive, but aside from that, the act of printing that information is morally null, and any commentary about sexual politics or advocacy of terroristic threats online is little more than begging.

Yeah, but usually one consents to something like this. This was unsolicited, totally loving unwarranted, and when you have a ethics history of "questionable" ethics like Deadspin does, you're left thinking that they probably did it because they're huge loving dicks. If anything, the people responsible for publishing this should suffer the same fate. Real journalists (read: people with even a shred of moral fiber) don't pointlessly make spectacles of ENTIRELY private figures with no other reason or substance besides "hey guys dumb bitch make sign and dumb bitch has facebook!!!!!". What Deadspin did served nobody but their hit counter and the misogynist egos of their userbase and the people in charge.

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

Moe_Rahn posted:

the yankees should retire brad lidge's number because he was instrumental in their 2009 world series win

I'm all for it!

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

"Concepcion was the Ozzie Smith of his day"

well that would be all fine and good except that their careers overlapped by 11 years

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

leokitty posted:

If the Yankees started stinking their attendance would drop. It didn't actually go through the roof until they acquired A-Rod V:shobon:V

Attendance at the stadium from 2005-2008 was the most amazing thing. 2008 had exactly 7 games under 50,000 people :psyduck:

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

Cashman has been separated from his wife since 2009 so who he fucks is his own business and A.J. Daulerio is pretty much the worst.

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

How dead is radio btw

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

So, Sports on Earth. Crion's stuff I love, but goddamn if this isn't a dumb article: http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/47382842/

Haha, he got rejected by AJ, miss-spelled Mike McKenry's name, and generally lacked a point :pwn:

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

Michael Kay and Jon Sterling prove that, against all common sense and capability, showing up to work every day without fail will Get You Places

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

This is totally unrelated to the discussion at hand, but I feel like it merits saying that Crion might be my favorite sports journalist. Unironically. Every article is thoughtful + well written + also funny. Good on you, sir.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

Crion posted:

hello, Dad

I am simultaneously the dad and the tiny babby