Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Holy Diverticulitis
Dec 8, 2009

damn good anus! and hot!

Zeeman posted:

Joe Posnanski eviscerates Murray Chass:

http://joeposnanski.si.com/2010/12/13/blogger-ethics/
"Lovely. Now, Chass was obviously emotional about Miller missing the Hall of Fame — it seems that before he was a New York based blogger he spent some time working in the mainstream media and covered Miller."

lmao, Joe Poz is so much fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holy Diverticulitis
Dec 8, 2009

damn good anus! and hot!

R.D. Mangles posted:

I got a subscription to SI as a gift, but I can't really stand the magazine since their editors ignore or possibly even encourage awful tortured over-written crap in all of their features in an attempt to gussy them up. Here's one cringe-inducing example from the recent article on Roddy White by Ben Reiter:

Even worse is when there's some pointless tortured metaphor that carries throughout the whole feature.
Those portentous and tortured introductions always get about 100x better if you imagine them being said in Ridley's voice from the intro to "The Right Stuff."

There was a demon that lived on the field. They said whoever challenged him would die. Their control would freeze up. Their delivery would buffet wildly, and it would disintegrate. The demon lived at #1 on the all-time list, seven hundred and sixty-two career home runs, where the ball could no longer move out of the way. He lived behind a zone through which they said no strike could ever pass. They called him Barry Bonds.

Holy Diverticulitis
Dec 8, 2009

damn good anus! and hot!

Primo Poster!!!! posted:

Those portentous and tortured introductions always get about 100x better if you imagine them being said in Ridley's voice from the intro to "The Right Stuff."

There was a demon that lived on the field. They said whoever challenged him would die. Their control would freeze up. Their delivery would buffet wildly, and it would disintegrate. The demon lived at #1 on the all-time list, seven hundred and sixty-two career home runs, where the ball could no longer move out of the way. He lived behind a zone through which they said no strike could ever pass. They called him Barry Bonds.
I totally shoulda added this at the time:

Then they built a small man, a DA, who said he could break Barry Bonds. And sportswriters came to the high-desert of California to write it. They were called assholes. And no one remembered their names.

Holy Diverticulitis
Dec 8, 2009

damn good anus! and hot!

A drat FOG posted:

Enlighten me, what characteristic of being a woman could make it harder to write a sports column? Is it the clit?
The intense pressure of late-inning games makes Heidi Watney hysterically pregnant all the time.

Holy Diverticulitis
Dec 8, 2009

damn good anus! and hot!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

varitek is actually the cause of this
Remember in the 2004 ALCS, when someone opened a door to the women pool reporters in the press "box" and a wave of menses cascaded out like the elevator of the Overlook Hotel?

Holy Diverticulitis
Dec 8, 2009

damn good anus! and hot!
Johnny Damon used to come to bat to Folk Implosion's "Nothing's Gonna Stop the Flow" after his palpable male charisma made Jackie MacMullen get uncontrollable "pussy stigmata."

Holy Diverticulitis
Dec 8, 2009

damn good anus! and hot!

Mornacale posted:

I don't know, I pretty much agree that voting Republican is the moral equivalent of setting someone on fire.
After privatizing the fire department and replacing water faucets with vending machines.

Holy Diverticulitis
Dec 8, 2009

damn good anus! and hot!

Copernic posted:

Jay!
At the end of the arraignment, the Judge assigned Marriotti negative points, slammed his gavel down and shouted, "NEXT CONVICT!"

Holy Diverticulitis
Dec 8, 2009

damn good anus! and hot!
The problem is it's a slippery slope from one to the other.

Holy Diverticulitis
Dec 8, 2009

damn good anus! and hot!

Fisticuffs posted:

Off-topic but I really need to know what the quote in your avatar is from
It's a paraphrasing. You should really watch this whole thing, but this link'll take you right to the part.

Holy Diverticulitis
Dec 8, 2009

damn good anus! and hot!

stuart scott irl posted:

this made me sad
I think your sympathy does you credit, but the person that's underneath all that nuttiness is kind of a jerk. If you start to feel sad for him again, try to think of something else to cheer up. Like Ryan Howard's contract.

Bigass Moth posted:

So I guess we can add "attitude" and "stuff" to a checklist of what makes a good baseball player along with grit, heart, and intangibles?
Calm eyes.

Holy Diverticulitis
Dec 8, 2009

damn good anus! and hot!

Crazy Ted posted:

Scott Raab, a writer for Esquire, tries to pen a new nickname for Dirk Nowitzki.

http://twitter.com/#!/Scott_Raab/status/70760366099005440

Oops...
How difficult is it to come up with something like Nowitzkrieg, really?

Holy Diverticulitis
Dec 8, 2009

damn good anus! and hot!

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I really enjoyed this piece myself, and I suspect that when Jones starts writing about baseball instead of about himself writing about baseball...
Good luck with that. Now that he's been released from the boundaries of more conventional journalism and into the solipsism of the new journalism style, there's no more governor on his need to let you know that he is a Very Important Person Who Thinks Thoughts That You Read. You could replace that dude's blog with the "AWESOME COUGARS" photo and the content wouldn't change.

Although he and Simmons are both so thin-skinned that seeing him find a home on Simmons' site is like wrapping a quail egg in tissue paper.

Holy Diverticulitis fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jun 9, 2011

Holy Diverticulitis
Dec 8, 2009

damn good anus! and hot!

Nerokerubina posted:

The most feared pitch-caller of his generation.
Nothin but heat, right down the middle of 5'8" off the ground...

Holy Diverticulitis
Dec 8, 2009

damn good anus! and hot!

haljordan posted:

Truth. I enjoy seeing on-screen graphics about the 5 players with the most home runs during a night game, following a day game played on the East Coast in which more than 1500 hot dogs were sold at the concessions stand.
Technically, message board posting could be construed as "microblogging," Mr. Chass.

Holy Diverticulitis
Dec 8, 2009

damn good anus! and hot!
The ball disappeared into the white clouds of the outfield lower reserve, where the ball landed. Before then, it soared against the nimbus of some really expensive seats, which were higher than the other seats — 20,000 feet higher. This moment's grace manifested itself as if skywritten by the hand of God in puffs of white: "Baseball," against the backing firmament of "ARMITRON."

Holy Diverticulitis
Dec 8, 2009

damn good anus! and hot!

zakharov posted:

I don't know who told Ian O'Connor he was the next Roger Angell, but I want to punch them.
Better to have Roger Angell murder him and kill himself.

Holy Diverticulitis
Dec 8, 2009

damn good anus! and hot!

BackInTheUSSR posted:

Three, god dammit Deadspin stop loving caring so much, you petty bitches.
This is probably the most persistent and reductive response to internet crit — "you're just caremad" or "you're just jealous" — and I really don't get it. Deadspin covers sports media, especially online sports media. It's also in the business of talking about popular things of interest to the readership. Like it or not, Grantland's easily the biggest online sports media story of the year, and it's helmed by an insanely popular dude. Of course Deadspin's going to talk about it; we all are, too. What else should they do? Something that's not their job?

Besides, it's not like Grantland didn't set the tone for this and establish the standard of the discussion. It was pitched with a lot of aspirational rhetoric about being a haven for high-quality longform journalism, promoting and mainstreaming the most lauded form of sports journalism for the online world. Simmons took off his Daniel LaRusso helmet and said, "I'm Bill Simmons, and I'm here to rescue you! I'm here with Malcolm Gladwell!" Okay, but if you're going to bill yourself as a repository for that kind of high-quality product, people are going to take you at your word and hold you to it. At worst, Scocca's accepted their standards and said, "You are not meeting them," by pointing out that they had a shameful first week of basic errors that went unacknowledged and were "disappeared" without citation, and now they've moved on to meeting their journalistic bona fides by hiring a guy who repeatedly committed the most fundamental sin in journalism.

If Grantland had been billed as a vanity project for a waterheaded cultural critic with a luddite homer streak, featuring an all-star cast of navel-gazing narcissists, a corporate boardroom junk-science pimp and some forgettable TV-talk Tumblr bimbo, nobody would have given a poo poo. But they made their bed, and now other journalists — many more than just the Deadspin staff — are now making sure they lie in it.

Or maybe they're all just :qq:ing real hard because the "u mad? idiot fucker bitch" button is glowing on their PCs.

Holy Diverticulitis
Dec 8, 2009

damn good anus! and hot!

Mornacale posted:

The fact is that Deadspin can do no right as long as Daulerio is running the show, because anything they write is tainted with his long history of being an unethical hack (and a smug rear end in a top hat about it to boot).
That's just silly. One of the reasons Craggs stated for staying at Deadspin was the leeway he had to write what he wanted without interference, because that's how Daulerio runs his ship. Scocca was brought in to have his own brief and try to do harder journalism crit and work with other writers, but he's also basically on his own to do stuff that interests him. If Daulerio's some kind of tentacular stain on the entire organization, he sort of sucks at actively doing that.

Pigeonholing Deadspin as solely a sports journalism site is silly for the reasons you stated, but thinking of it as basically a rumor-mongering dick factory is equally mistaken. In the last year, they published leaked financial reports from an NBA team and a handful of MLB teams, showing how ownership buries profits, cooks the books for tax breaks and manipulates the discussion with fans and with cities — to say nothing of other MLB teams, in terms of revenue sharing — to falsely claim greater financial burdens than actually exist. Those were really sharp pieces of work that contributed enormously to the ownership/fan dialogue. Both were written during Daulerio's stewardship.

Holy Diverticulitis
Dec 8, 2009

damn good anus! and hot!

Mornacale posted:

I meant that Deadspin is going to get a bunch of criticism no matter what it does, because of the rep that Daulerio has built it.
Ah, I couldn't tell if your "do no right" was about your own attitude or a general one. My bad, man.

Holy Diverticulitis
Dec 8, 2009

damn good anus! and hot!

CLAMBO! posted:

I don't know if this counts as journalism but I really enjoyed this article. It's the David Foster Wallace NYT bit on Federer. I only link it because it keeps popping into my head as I've been reading Grantland, then unfairly compare those guys to DFW and they fall so far short.
What are you talking about? They have footnotes and solipsism and everything!

Holy Diverticulitis
Dec 8, 2009

damn good anus! and hot!

The broken bones posted:

who needs meticulous note taking when you can just ramble for 3000 words
Let me tell you about the greatest* baseball game I've ever seen.

[writes 5,000-word article about an American All-Stars vs. Boston Red Sox best-of-seven series of "RBI Baseball" from a stoner's living room in Milpitas in 1990.]

- What is "meaning," anyway?

Holy Diverticulitis
Dec 8, 2009

damn good anus! and hot!

barkingclam posted:

[0:01-0:33] What, you mean you don't like it when Klosterman writes 2000 words about an instrumental 70s rock track and tries to straddle a line between being snarky and insightful?

[0:34-1:01] Especially when it's centered around him breaking down a youtube video, second by second? Or filled with anecdotes about growing up in a small town? What if I told you it's also packed with references to 80s hair metal?

[1:02-1:03] This is definitely the part of the song I like the least.

[1:04-1:30] The way he structured that piece isn't an awful gimmick at all, it's a really cool way to appreciate a guy who today records music written by Ron Hubbard
Skip past the Mark Ames and Exile-standard slamming of appearance and ad hominem and get to the bottom and the gut of why Klosterman is horrible. Ames is always all shotgun and little concern for how he hits the target, but eventually the blasts just land. I know pimping your own poo poo here is usually bad form, but I thought initially that Grantland sucked poo poo, and I haven't had any reason to reconsider. Klosterman has a position for being insightful about sports precisely because the criteria for being insightful are set so low and established by someone with all the cash. Money talks and talks and talks and talks and talks. Now with footnotes.

Holy Diverticulitis
Dec 8, 2009

damn good anus! and hot!

Heaf posted:

They did that thing about BYU's honor code last year and that was decent enough. Not really anything exceptional, anymore.
That piece was written in April. Craggs' bit on NBA teams manipulating balance sheets to hide profits and maximize loss isn't even two months old.

Holy Diverticulitis
Dec 8, 2009

damn good anus! and hot!

MorningView posted:

Dalerio basically made his career by looking over Stu Scott's shoulder while he sent a text (or more likely making a story about doing that up)
Daulerio and Leitch worked together on a different magazine before founding Deadspin together. Then they worked together for a couple of years. On Deadspin. But, apart from everything you just wrote, you're 100% correct.

"I detect Deadspin, therefore bad!"

Holy Diverticulitis fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Aug 27, 2011

Holy Diverticulitis
Dec 8, 2009

damn good anus! and hot!

MorningView posted:

His Super Bowl coverage was the first thing he did on Deadspin that got him a lot of attention, and the Stu Scott text was the most famous thing to come out of that.
I don't think there's any dispute Daulerio's not a great writer, but what someone gets famous for isn't a fair sample. Bill Buckner wasn't a ground ball sieve. He did serviceable work for years, which would have earned him a position lots of places. (That was probably the rationale for selecting him as Leitch's successor; giving him management reigns wouldn't take away from long-form output.) But talking about that doesn't fit the narrative of "Worthless Smut Dealer!" so whatever.

quote:

I don't know why you are so desperate to defend a guy who thinks pictures of athletes' penises or who random ESPN employees are loving are worthy news stories. I'm sure Deadspin has some good pieces here and there, but it's largely a lovely tabloid.
I'm partly being contrarian (I LOVE YOU, BAYLESS), partly tired of reductive boilerplate (and the impulse to categorize Deadspin' work, file it under one of a series of behaviors, force agency upon it), and partly of the opinion that the narrative for journalistic organs swings into action late. Last year, the crowd was late to get impatient with Deadspin; the site cruised on goodwill from previous years, when the patterns of that tabloid style were established and worsening. The GQ piece on Daulerio was so belated, like, "Really? You just got on this?" But that dissatisfaction swung into action after the site's nadir, and that late pendulum swing is probably going to persist even if they do everything right. The narrative is now "SMUTTY TRASH!" so even if some of their recent moves (like bringing in Scocca) starts to change their output editorially, it'll be marginalized in favor of the prevailing "common sense."

Holy Diverticulitis fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Aug 27, 2011

Holy Diverticulitis
Dec 8, 2009

damn good anus! and hot!

MorningView posted:

Right but I wasn't arguing that it was the only thing he's ever done, I was saying that it was the thing that initially brought him to the attention of a wide audience. And it was mostly for the sake of a joke, although I do think that particular story set the tone for a fairly large percentage of the work he's done since.
My mistake, man. I didn't mean to misread you.

Holy Diverticulitis
Dec 8, 2009

damn good anus! and hot!
I know this has probably been posted in a bunch of NCAA threads, but when something this thorough and well-written appears, it should probably get posted in this thread, too, just so nobody can miss it:

The Shame of College Sports

Edit: I'm still reading it, and it just gets more damning, more complete, more muckrakingly wonderful. College sports were already structurally indefensible, but this condemns the entire edifice from the foundation upward.

Holy Diverticulitis fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Sep 15, 2011

Holy Diverticulitis
Dec 8, 2009

damn good anus! and hot!

Akileese posted:

Wait is it a real magazine, like people actually spent actual working hours making this?
Over the years I've had a lot of magazines start appearing in my mailbox for free, but ESPN is the only one that's actually seemed insulting.

Holy Diverticulitis
Dec 8, 2009

damn good anus! and hot!

Crion posted:

I don't really know if this counts as sports journalism because I don't give anyone a blowjob for playing the right way, but:

http://www.mrdestructo.com/2011/10/seven-games-in-september-part-i.html

The thing I posted in that thread that one time last week has been cleaned up, fact-checked, de-adverbed and generally made a lot more readable, and I will now stop posting about it forever.
I think this makes it count: http://deadspin.com/5847736/read-this-ode-to-baltimores-valiant-last-stand-and-bostons-unexpected-collapse

:golfclap:

Holy Diverticulitis
Dec 8, 2009

damn good anus! and hot!

Mornacale posted:

Please, for the love of god, tell me that woman is not a professional writer. I don't want to believe that someone who gets paid to write words unironically and repeatedly uses "epic fail".
Welcome to the world of idiots. Thanks, Team Barry!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Holy Diverticulitis
Dec 8, 2009

damn good anus! and hot!

Mornacale posted:

I'm saying that this piece reads to me exactly as if it were a blog written by a downtrodden Boston fan or terrible member of the national media. Given Schur's stellar record, I found it disappointing.
I'm sympathetic to Michael Schur more than I would like to be. I find it odd and discomfiting that he and I share lots of opinions. That said, this was a poor and tossed-out response that didn't persuade and at best gets relegated to the self-pity pile. He's better than that.

Holy Diverticulitis
Dec 8, 2009

damn good anus! and hot!

nasboat posted:

I don't really see what makes this so fantastic a piece. A majority of it is him just giving smarmy responses to a Bill Simmons column. Anyone can 'MST3K' another person's writing -- doesn't make it good or worthwhile.
Hey, the bold-quote + reply format is FJM, not MST3K. :slick:

While some of the responses are certainly smarmy, and while smarm doesn't equal quality, that detracts from the fact that the rest of the piece illustrates good and worthwhile points about Simmons' argumentative inconsistency (incompetent ownership who somehow simultaneously provide a superior intellectual strategic example), his want of perspective in terms of the league's attempts at expanding the product (see: targeting overseas markets, expanding digital availability) and his contradictory claims for necessary action going forward (the NBA needs to expand, but his plan relies on contraction and consolidation). The author has another good point in that this is another case of Simmons' insinuating the value of considering outside perspectives, which is of a piece with his habit of claiming that he can solve franchises' problems, should be considered for a GM position—but, "Hahaha, I was just kidding about that." It's a passive but repeated form of self-promotion.

quote:

Not to say I agree with Simmons or anything (seems pretty well-known that he means well but is off-base with many of his ideas, especially regarding the lockout), but the fervor with which other lesser-known writers trip over each other to get out there and attack his stuff is hilarious.
More Readers ≠ Better Than. It's irrelevant whether this guy is less of a household name; he happens to have had a cogent and thoughtful reply (if, yeah, a bit smarmy). Also, part of the reason that other writers don't really feel circumspect about getting out there and ripping on his stuff is because Simmons has carefully packaged that opportunity for them. He's always presented himself as an everyman or everyfan, which means that he's essentially said that anyone who responds to him can respond to him as a peer. That's what makes it funny when he occasionally pulls the huffy "well, these people don't get it, they're just bloggers" routine and when his fans take up that argument in support of him. It's not a winning strategy when you've crafted a persona that makes you indistinguishable from a blogger yourself.

Anyway, if you want to read a non-smarmy reply to Simmons, there's a good one here. (Hat tip to Vbabby, who rules.)

Holy Diverticulitis
Dec 8, 2009

damn good anus! and hot!

nasboat posted:

Just gonna leave this here. People getting picky about the use of the word "we" in sports is a gigantic pet peeve of mine (yes, my pet peeve is people who complain about it, not people who do it), and the fact that a good writer wasted time and effort to put this piece together makes it even worse.
Oh, man, I completely forgot about this. Have you ever read how this dude deals with critics online and how much time he spends on people who don't think he's awesome?

This whole Slate piece from Scocca is riddled with links to this dude flying off the handle about everything, but this message board post against a "nobody" just ends it:

Chris Jones posted:

You're very brave, daemon, a regular folk hero. Your crusade against my blog should earn you medals, totems erected in your honor. You jumped into the fray like a regular trenchman, your bayonet flashing, your blood pumping.

You're calling me pathetic? Jesus. But here you go. This is what you're asking for, and I aim to please:

"If you don't care whether your writing earns an audience, or money, or an award, then you will never, ever earn any of those things with your words. You will be a failure."

You seem to be confusing the word "or" with the word "and."

If you don't care whether your writing earns any of those things—and I'm talking about journalism here, not poetry, not screenwriting, not literature, but journalism—then you will not make it. That's a fact. That's a pure unavoidable fact of this business. Because it's a business. It's market-driven. It's customer-driven. That's how it works. And if your supremely talented friends tell you—when you beg them for crumbs of wisdom, which they brush off their table for you—that they have somehow made it without giving a poo poo about any of those things, they are either aberrations or liars.

Now, let's get to the heart of the matter: you. I can't be certain why you didn't make it, because clearly you didn't—you know writers with my exact job, but you're not one of them, are you?

Luckily, though, I have an idea.

Maybe your friends are twice as talented as me, but I'll bet a considerable sum of money (because I care about money; I'd rather have it than not, which I know makes me crazy) that you're not one loving eighteenth as good as the Mystery Them.

I would also bet every penny I've ever earned that you would give a nut to have what I have.

I'm sorry you're so sad. But daemon, don't blame me for your failings. Don't blame me that the blog I write for fun has a larger audience than you'll ever know.

Oh, I know, brave, sweet daemon, your feelings were stung by what I wrote, and you're trying to make excuses—as you no doubt have for your entire life—as to why you didn't make it.

I'll tell you why. Because you aren't good enough.

And I know you're going to write, Oh no, I have made it! I'm really happy with my life! I'm better than you even! Look how angry you are! Look how insecure you are!

But here I am, and I know you're not anywhere close to me. I know you're just another anonymous Internet gangster, like jgorden, your partner in pussydom, trying to make yourself feel better, trying to prove to all your online friends that you have big balls when it comes to picking fights when you know you'll never have to show your face or your name.

But they know about you, too, daemon. We all know. We all know you didn't make it. We all know you advocated lying on this thread, the issue that you never addressed again.

We all know you're a coward. We all know you're a twat.

Now, here's what I'm going to do. I'm going to go sit with my wife on the couch and watch a movie. And after, I'm going to go to bed, and I'm going to wake up, and I'm going to be me, and you're still going to be you, and that will make me happier than you can ever imagine.

Thank you.
Jeet Christ.

Holy Diverticulitis
Dec 8, 2009

damn good anus! and hot!

stuart scott irl posted:

I know Deadspin is eternally the penis website around here for some reason but Craggs wrote a loving awesome thing about Tebow http://deadspin.com/5856237/

Which included a thorough drubbing of this piece of poo poo column: http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Tim-Tebow-why-the-heck-do-we-hate-him-110211
The Word:Ownage ratio in that column is loving phenomenal.

Anyway, just thought I'd share this from obese shitsack Scott Raab:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKXQaXwF3cQ

Holy Diverticulitis
Dec 8, 2009

damn good anus! and hot!

dokomoy posted:

One of this mornings sportscenters aired a piece by Buster Olney on the front office situation of the Red Sox. In the piece he quoted an unnamed team executive comparing the Sox front office situation to the battle for Gaza.
Theo Epstein bombed everything and then pulled out, and now everybody's slowly starving to death?

Holy Diverticulitis
Dec 8, 2009

damn good anus! and hot!
This is bullshit:

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=15644

I don't know who these guys are, but I will NOT be reading Baseball Prospectus again anytime soon if this is the kind of riffraff that they allow to sully their webpages. User should lose posting privileges for ALL the hours.

Holy Diverticulitis
Dec 8, 2009

damn good anus! and hot!
edit - something something internet

Holy Diverticulitis fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Dec 10, 2011

Holy Diverticulitis
Dec 8, 2009

damn good anus! and hot!
Deadspin should publish both names. There is a direct equivalency between someone from the internet sharing the name of someone they saw on television and someone who made a huge sign about the people in her personal life with the intention of sharing it with 70,000 people and catching the eyes of broadcast television cameras beamed nationally to over 10 million others. Deadspin's gender politics are nauseating. If this girl has told us anything, it's that her personal life is nobody's business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holy Diverticulitis
Dec 8, 2009

damn good anus! and hot!

Transfatuation posted:

Making a humorous sign is not remotely an invitation to be harassed online/offline/anywhere, and if you can think of a single legitimate reason to provide her identity beyond that, I will paypal you 14 dollars and 88 cents.
I agree that making a sign is not an invitation to be harassed, and assuming such is unreasonable, but, by the same token, publishing a person's name is not a call to harass them, and it's just as much of a leap to impute that motive to them. (If we wanted to stop dumbshit from being done with content from the internet, we'd have to shut down the internet. We can't even have a decently democratized encyclopedia without retards filling it with anime, Ron Paul facts or Ty Pepper shooting himself in the anus.) Anyway, there are anywhere from 69 to 420 reasons to post the girl's name, but it would take me over 9,000 seconds to explain them all, so just take one: lo, though they may not post alongside the denizens of SAS or share the rarified tastes of a Bob Costas, there are thousands of squalid, rutting proles in these United States who were curious about that memorable sign; they will click on even the most fleeting and insignificant information about it, and those clicks create money, which can be used to obtain goods and services. It's crass and materialistic and of almost zero informational substance, but if we wanted to put a stop to that, that would be another reason to shut down the entire internet, dynamite every local news station, set fire to every Features desk in America, remove the infographic as a phenomenon, end the national nightly news ten minutes earlier, get rid of cable news entirely, and on and on. I can sympathize with disdaining the profit motive, but aside from that, the act of printing that information is morally null, and any commentary about sexual politics or advocacy of terroristic threats online is little more than question begging.