Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

stuart scott irl posted:

I object to this thread on the basis that Murray Chass is indeed completely horrible

I agree with this, Murray Chass is unmitigated trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Rule of thumb, if you see Boston Globe on someone's credential and it's not Fluto Shinzawa they loving suck.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Criminal Minded posted:

That's a fantastic name.

He's a solid hockey beat writer and a very very nice man.

I didn't know there was MMA journalism, is it carried on the wire?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

FairGame posted:

I guess it is easier to list out good stuff than bad.

To that end, there was actually a really good piece about the dude who hit the ball that killed Mike Coolbaugh. I want to say it was on ESPN.com but I cannot find it. If anyone manages to locate it, I'd hold it up as an example of good journalism.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/the_bonus/09/18/coolbaugh0924/

I believe that's it. S.L. Price is the author.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

leokitty posted:

This is a really wonderful profile piece about a kid from South Africa who plays baseball you should all read.

Gift is like the black Reggie Willits. I hope he makes the show more than anyone not named Disco Hayes.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

Yeah. And if you want to read the piece that got both Gary Smith and Joe Posnanski into sportswriting really, Hub Fans Bid Kid Adieu is the one everyone should read first(although no sports article is going to ever be as good as it). I know I mentioned Updike, but goddamn, I went and read it again and that's just gorgeous craft.

Ten Cent Beer Night is another classic, and is actually more relevant to me understanding the history of Cleveland now in the wake of LeBron leaving(it is not written in comic sans unfortunately).

Someone should update ten cent beer night to feature comic sans.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

A drat FOG posted:

This is really funny to me because I assumed Reggie Willits was black for the longest time before I actually saw him.

Me too, I thought for literally more than two years that Willits was black.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The broken bones posted:

Hub Fans Bid Kid Adieu is another amazing piece, I think it's one reason why baseball draws so much attention from quality writers.

There are so many good lines in that piece but my absolute favorite is

quote:

In 1946, Williams returned from three years as a Marine pilot to the second of his baseball avatars, that of Achilles, the hero of incomparable prowess and beauty who nevertheless was to be found sulking in his tent while the Trojans (mostly Yankees) fought through to the ships.

I love the humor of (mostly Yankees) juxtaposed with the classical analogy. It makes me smile every time.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Criminal Minded posted:

For the longest time I thought Jimmy Wynn was white, too.

Jimmy Wynn's black?

edit: well I'll be. He sure is!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

drat that dude has got a nice isoD.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Bigass Moth posted:

I bet Bill Simmons is really, really entertaining if you are a Boston sports fan.

bzzt wrong. Unless you mean entertaining in a Dan Shaughnessey way, in which case, yes.

Every once in a while he will write something that reminds you that one time he was pretty good and that he's a smart dude who just mails it in because he's a lazy jagoff. Roughly twice a year.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Captain Charisma posted:

Simmons has his moments. I liked that column he did about opening his eyes to sabermetrics through its usefulness in fantasy baseball.

That's one of the things I was referring to where you can see the talent underneath the layers of laziness and stupidity.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Reminder that Rick Reilly used to be an insightful journalist before he got fat off his ESPN paycheck.

That Citadel article is really outstanding.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Fag Boy Jim posted:

i'm not sure if this is the right place to bring this up, but does anyone think Deadspin has gotten really, really lovely in the last year or so? has it always been more about "look at the personal life of this ESPN anchor/sports columnist/Guy Who Hates Deadspin" than, you know, sports news?

plus they're always so insufferably catty, it gets on my nerves.

it's bro TMZ, if you just look at it like that, it totally makes sense.

AJ Daulerio is a giant fag though.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Tommy Craggs and Drew Magary are the only dudes I bother reading on Deadspin and Drew was always more humor/bullshit than sports related anyway.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Rick Reilly has also written some fantastic articles. Just like Simmons, it's a shame that he mails it in so loving much.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Jason Whitlock is in the midst of a live radio meltdown about how he is quitting/getting fired/who the gently caress knows.

http://player.streamtheworld.com/_players/entercom/player/?id=KCSP

:munch:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I cannot stress how good this is.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Jon posted:

Holy poo poo

"The people that don't know me, they're gonna attack me!"

It is literally a three hour window in to the mind of a crazy person on the radio.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Dave Kingman was a roid freak.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

swizz posted:

Just my opinion, but Deadspin has gone from a fairly entertaining and refreshing sports blog when Leitch was EIC to a hateful, snarky TMZ/Gawker hybrid that's almost unreadable at this point beyond Drew Magery. If they've gotten rid of Dashiell Bennett, that's at least a step in the right direction.

Craggs is good too but yeah that's pretty much the universal consensus.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

morestuff posted:

The bottom line would argue otherwise.

Didn't know I had to be so pedantic, I meant within this thread. I recognize that TMZ for sports is a totally reasonable business model, and in any event we weren't really talking about whether being a good sports blog is better for the bottom line or not.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I could literally poo poo out something better than that.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Hey King Felix too bad you couldn't magic Jose Lopez into something valuable, you could have won the award dedicated to being a good pitcher if you did!!!!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

stuart scott irl posted:

This is apparently an "article" by a "writer"

http://www.cleveland.com/tribe/index.ssf/2010/09/in_pitching_all_that_matters_a.html

the pitcher is the only guy charged with a win or loss because in loving 1890 or whatever that dude pitched the whole game come hell or high water, and even in loving 1890 people were calling bullshit on it because you also have to score runs in order to win.

(yes this is preaching to the choir)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The broken bones posted:

Who was the old school writer dude who wrote the "vorp blorp shmorp" article?

Was it Murray? he loves that topic. here is one

http://www.firejoemorgan.com/2007/02/this-is-why-this-site-exists.html

edit: here's the FJM vorp tag http://www.firejoemorgan.com/search/label/vorp

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Sep 15, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

A drat FOG posted:

Sabermetrics is such a broad field of analysis/study that I don't know if there is such a thing as a rational critique of it because basically what it means is finding newer and better ways to quantify baseball skill and performance. The metrics themselves aren't perfect but the whole point is to keep making them better than what we had before.

There are lots of critiques of individual metrics (like WAR or VORP or whatever) I'm sure you could find, maybe some other posters have links.

One valid criticism is that a lot of sabermetrics is fad based and not really well established in good mathematics or scientific critique. Hence the inability to find good critiques of a lot of metrics.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

trem_two posted:

I like how he labels Palmiero and Sheffield as "non-superstars" when both are comfortably above the 60 WAR threshold he set just two paragraphs earlier.

How old is Cameron? Sheffield was a legitimate superstar. So was Palmeiro.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

They seem to be doing OK this year so far. Last year it was sort of tryhard Prioresque stuff.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Copernic posted:

How does Steve Rushin get work?

that's written like poo poo but it's not even like top 100

also the point that people always unnecessarily say The National Football League is one I agree with so that may be clouding my judgment.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

D-Mac for the Red Sox, although it's not like there were alternatives.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Steve Phillips also likes interns. He really likes interns

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Did he actually write that or did he get his dad to do it for him?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

chutwig posted:

they set up this strawman of a basement-dwelling STATA geek who doesn't even watch games but just compiles numbers all the time

I am the strawman.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Yeah that poo poo was weird as hell.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

chutwig posted:

Confession time: I don't know much about Excel and certainly don't know how to do a multivariate regression. :(

SHUN.

Don't worry Excel is not great.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Badfinger posted:

The only thing I understand in this sentence is :(

Is Sabermetrics right for me?

best stick to the bunting cages son

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

uhh wait did anyone read Moneyball and think "this is an amazing statistical revolution" because if so :lol:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

repostin this from MLB

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/texas-rangers/post/_/id/4855927/jeff-francouer-exactly-what-team-needs-now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Let's take a trip down memory lane to when Rick Reilley didn't suck:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1064748/1/index.htm