Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Why does a 140-character limit compel someone to use as few characters as possible? It's like reading the classifieds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Brace yourselves, the annual Fangraphs organizational rankings are coming:

Dave Cameron posted:

With a new wave of front office talent crashing into front offices are furious rates, it’s nearly impossible to turn over a front office and not get an analytical upgrade in the process, but the Orioles may have accomplished exactly that this winter.

Such prose :allears:

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

I CHALLENGE THEE posted:

Just in case you wondered if fangraphs writers could embarrass themselves any more

http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/index.php/roto-riteup-september-7-2012/

"I don't know if I'll ever be known at all, but if I am, being called "that baseball writer guy who loves ponies" isn't so bad, really.”

In the last few weeks, I've read three or four Fangraphs articles and thought, "Wow, this is actually decent. You don't see that much on FG. Who wrote this?"

Turns out it was Jeff Sullivan. Every single time.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Everybody's favourite 11-time Sportswriter of the year:

https://twitter.com/ReillyRick/statuses/248897525795418113?tw_i=248897525795418113&tw_e=details&tw_p=tweetembed

I could find ten better writers at a My Little Pony convention posted:

Dear Seamheads: Please explain how Miguel Cabrera can be 1 HR away from a Triple Crown + some of u r still talking Mike Trout MVP? #GetCable

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

It's always funny to read baseball writers accidentally make a decent criticism of WAR, but keep building on it until they've narrowed all relevant statistics down to wins and RBI.

Let's watch our friend Jerry Green of The Detroit News do that now, shall we?
http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20120929/OPINION03/209290399/

quote:

ESPN claims that Trout merits the MVP award — despite Cabrera's possible Triple Crown — on the basis of WAR. This is not the kind of war that Ted Williams fought in twice amidst his Triple Crown-style seasons. Or the war that brought Willie Mays into the Army during his career.

It is that relatively new "Moneyball" style of crackpot Sabermetrics stat described as wins above replacement. Whatever that means.

Mike Trout's WAR numbers are juggled into a figure higher than Cabrera's.

Oh, my goodness!

WAR — and there are versions disseminated by both websites Baseball-Reference.com and fangraphs.com — includes more skills than pure hitting and hitting for power. Stolen bases are considered, a number that actually can be counted.

Fielding likewise counts.

Just how fielding figures in … well, you look and watch. And then guess, and perhaps the guess works. Or doesn't. And then the figure person tries to measure how an ordinary replacement player might compare to the established high-skilled player.

Once upon a time, the MVP was not decided on the basis of some imaginary numbers that are jammed into a murky, invented stat such as WAR.

Again, Major League Baseball has not had a rookie of Mike Trout's magnitude since Willie Mays in 1951. And the sport has not been adorned by a Triple Crown winner since Carl Yastrzemski in 1967.

Unlike WAR there is no stat in Sabermetrics known as LOGIC.

And oops, WAR does not figure in baseball's most important statistic — finishing in first place during the regular season. The Tigers are aimed — likely — for a first-place finish in their division now that all the white flags in Detroit have been ripped down.

A ballplayer who leads his team to a first-place finish — nothing could be more valuable.

There is no doubt that Mike Trout is first over Miguel Cabrera in both WAR I and WAR II.

But Cabrera is first in the American League.

The Tigers are currently seventh in the American League.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Since we can't rely on "invented" statistics to determine the MVP, it looks like we'll have to give it to whoever has the highest of the following non-"invented" stats:

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

hcreight posted:

He literally thinks this is how WAR works.

The best logical-extreme example of this kind of thinking were the people saying Peyton Manning should have won the NFL MVP last year without playing a game.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Guess who wrote a baseball article again :toot:

It's just a rehash of all the arguments for Mike Trout as AL MVP (that mentions WAR a convenient zero times), but he might as well do something between now and the 2014 House races.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Cameron had a rebuttal to Jim Caple's WAR article last week that basically amounted to "Well, WAR isn't the perfect statistic, but it's definitely the best one."

I think Jeff Sullivan and Dayn Perry are okay at Fangraphs, although they're less about analysis and more about kickin' rad GIFs and whatever NotGraphs is, respectively.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

The 2013 award for Saltiest Tears of the Year goes to Dennis Latta, a reporter who followed the University of New Mexico Lobos for 33 years and is quitting his job because they lost to Harvard.

http://deadspin.com/a-new-mexico-beat-writer-actually-quit-his-job-because-458421252

http://newmexico.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1486756

tinstaach fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Mar 23, 2013

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

So Jonah Keri wrote this in his Grantland article last week:

quote:

The notion of A-Rod playing for the Yankees or anyone else again might be merely hypothetical at this point, anyway. Baseball colluded against Bonds after the home run king hit .276/.480/.565 in 126 games for the Giants in 2007. From a PR standpoint, A-Rod has been 10,000 times the pain in the rear end Bonds was, and he’s nowhere near the hitter Bonds was when teams slammed the door in the San Francisco slugger’s face.

Most of SAS agrees with him, but is it a common thing for writers (at least, writers in the know) to call out the owners like that about Barry Bonds without even couching it?

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

MourningView posted:

Yeah people talked about it even at the time. It was pretty obvious what was going on there.

I was about to ask why the union didn't raise an issue, but then I remembered that Jon Dowd Bonds wasn't in the union.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

hahahahaha

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Hmmmm, hard to pick sides on this one OP.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Man my sarcasm really isn't coming through, of course I know that Bomani is a rad dude and Rovell is a balance sheet made flesh.

It's not even like Skip Bayless where he's saying inflammatory things just to get people to argue with him. A few months ago he was defending sweatshops because the market paid the workers what they're worth or some poo poo.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Katie Nolan deserves credit for being a Boston sports fan who isn't insufferable, and that's no small feat. Even Charlie Pierce couldn't go two paragraphs without whining about Deflategate in the last days of Grantland.

And this is awesome: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmRy-UfKysI

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Henchman of Santa posted:

The guy from Detroit Sports Rag broke a story about 105.1 switching from sports to classic rock, and he lost his mind because the Detroit News' Tony Paul tweeted "@DetroitSportsRag broke the story first" instead of ".@DetroitSportsRag broke the story first"

Didn't 105.1 get the contract to broadcast Lions games after 97.1 refused to fire Mike Valenti?

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Jonah Keri bringin' the pain:

https://twitter.com/jonahkeri/status/750439991830917120

fake edit: :laffo:

https://twitter.com/rembert/status/750468292746285056

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

MourningView posted:

The cooking articles were good when Burneko was doing them!

Dunno if you saw his article last week or so, but apparently Burneko had a Foodspin book deal lined up that fell apart when he wrote another Deadspin article trashing some Youtube personality who ended up being the best friend of his prospective literary agent

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Probably the stupidest people in this whole debacle are the ones going on and on about all the good journalism Gawker did, as if it were impossible for any other person or site to do that and not publish sex tapes and rape videos and refuse to take them down when asked by lawyers

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

In case you thought there was any room for self-reflection in this final week:

quote:

Indeed, Gawker’s record for accuracy is excellent. For a site as reckless as it is purported to be, there have been no Jayson Blairs, no conflict-of-interest or plagiarism scandals, no career-ending corrections.

rest in piss

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Uhhhhhhhh ever heard of a little thing called 500 Days of Kristin, I didn't see that anywhere else.

That whole series was trolling, right? I didn't read any of it

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

I wonder how Whitlock feels about Killer Mike calling him out by name in one of his songs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoR7GZQPTEc&t=63s

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

I'm just gonna pour out another one for The Onion SportsDome and Sports Show with Norm MacDonald instead of Bill Simmons.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

MikeCrotch posted:

I still miss Get Out Of My Face. Good times, good times

Oh my god, I totally forgot this existed. They made 40 of these! I know because I just watched them all back-to-back last night, and now I'm reading everything in Doc Brooks' voice. It's the perfect distraction from the blasted hellscape that is America's future.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Any Given Wednesday = Snot Boogie

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Sequels never live up to the hype

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Yeah, you know if this happened to someone from ESPN or Buzzfeed, they would have written 2 or 3 articles on it by now

e: small world, that tweet turned into a thread between Dan Szymborski and Lowtax

tinstaach fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jan 25, 2017

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

https://twitter.com/JimMiller/status/834822693178466304

Jay's coming back home :canada::toot:

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

GMG.jpg

(and this is technically sports journalism, as I clipped it from Deadspin)

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

On the one hand it's irresponsible to speculate, on the other hand it kiiiinda sounds like he got a DUI driving back from the Deadspin Awards.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Actually if he got booked for anything, the psychos at Barstool would have dug it up by now. Get well soon Drew.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Reading the comments, folk's: it's good this time

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

https://twitter.com/drewmagary/status/1082686376217362433

I hope the GMG union got him some good insurance

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

In other longform journalism news, Jon Bois just put out a 55-minute Chart Party :woop:

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

oh that's nice, I'm glad they're putting an 'our bad' on the radio so people will stop hounding them for working for absolute scumbags (again)

https://twitter.com/BarstoolBigCat/status/1102783914849038336

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Do these guys think that the jaw guards bolted on to everyone's helmets are some obscure fashion statement?

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

I want all Jontent to continue increasing in production time and runtime

I want his next Pretty Good to be released in May 2020 and take the entire month from start to finish

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

According to Deadspin, it's because Larry went on Lil' Ben's show. Sounds like a pretty sweet gig if, say, your whole brand is based around demanding all the oxygen in the room under the guise of "free speech".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

They should improvise crayon drawings of the jerseys, kind of like those twitter accounts that used Lego figurines to re-enact footage from the Olympics