Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

So Skip Bayless thinks it's "crossing the line" to bring up his high school career, even though I seem to remember him being the one to always bring it up and talk about how he could beat Lebron in a "clutch" free throw competition etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

I feel like it says a lot when Bill Simmons of all people suggests that people shouldn't pay attention to, or care about, First Take.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

So does anyone think ESPN's annual "study" of the body form has any actual merit beyond the loads of views and attention it obviously gets.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

Soccer will never become a true "Big 4" sport because the MLS is terrible. Who the hell wants to watch a quality of play similar to a D-league or minor league team? Unfortunately the actually good clubs are all in UK, Spain, Brazil etc and I can't imagine the sport getting truly "popular" in America when the average American cannot even attend a game of where the true competition lies. No one cares who wins whatever MLS's championship is even called, no one on the street could tell you who won it last year. Slightly more people could tell you who last won the Champions or Premier league, and slightly more could tell you who has won the last World Cup. All that leaves for soccer is team USA, which does seem to get a lot of attention when they are playing legitimate competition (not random island nations for qualification reasons), but of course the international teams play on a rather limited basis.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

http://deadspin.com/richard-sherman...-cal-1506821800

Can't write to see sports journalists respond by explaining what they really mean when they call someone a thug and why hockey and baseball fights are different than if (black) nba or nfl players fought.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

ESPN News Services posted:

"All we did was play situational football," Sherman told the website in an interview held during one of the Seahawks' postgame victory parties. "We knew what route concepts they liked on different downs, so we jumped all the routes. Then we figured out the hand signals for a few of the route audibles in the first half."

Sherman had drinks in his hand as he spoke, themmqb.com said, but according to the website he seemed much more interested in talking about the game and described how he and his teammates accurately called out Denver's plays based on Manning's hand signs.

Real question: why is the bolded sentence even in the article? I read it and still have no idea what point it is trying to convey. Is it to imply Sherman was drunk and therefore his quotes should be taken with a grain of salt? And if so, why not just state that directly? So weird.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

Kibner posted:

I have a 40 minute drive to work and switch between that, NPR, and my own music.

I do a 30 minute drive and like sports enough to be posting about them on the internet, and I never considered sports radio to be an actual option. Anytime you listen to sports radio, you would be better served listening to a podcast, including sports ones. It's not like the bar is very high either.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

I don't know how many people in this thread also follow auto racing, but, um, prepare yourselves for some hot loving takes when people wake up tomorrow and realize that Tony Stewart killed a fellow driver.

I posted it in its thread, but that will be the biggest sports story of the century thus far because holy loving poo poo

This post is exactly the type of hyperbolic sports writing that we mock in this thread. What the hell are you talking about? "biggest sports story of the century" are you insane? It's less big than Lebron's letter to go to Cleveland or like that football player who got catfished. It's NASCAR.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

MourningView posted:

Looks like Matt Hinton is on staff at Grantland now. When the site first started out their college football coverage seemed like a complete afterthough (probably because Simmons doesn't give a poo poo about college sports) but between Hinton, Holly Anderson, and the occasional Chris Brown piece it might be the strongest part of the site now. I assume that's mostly Sharp's doing.

I wish Grantland's NFL coverage was better, especially considering it's the most popular sport. I guess my opinion is heavily influenced by the fact I don't care for Barnwell's articles.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

sba posted:

I hope he quits, he has enough clout that he could do a $7-10 a month site/podcast and live just fine.

It's pretty likely his contract has many protections for ESPN including non-compete type stuff and the fact ESPN likely owns many of things he is associated with including his podcast and everything relating to Grantland. It would likely be a huge legal battle if he quit on bad terms with ESPN to start up new endeavors.

The B_36 posted:

Not to defend ESPN, but isn't there a possibility that Simmons comments could be construed as libelous against Goodell? He blatantly called him a liar, and he would have to actually prove that is the case to avoid being sued for that right? I haven't followed this Ray Rice case, but how hard/easy would it be to prove that Goodell lied in his press conference and had actually seen the tape? At least I could see ESPN saying that's why they suspended him - to avoid them being drawn into a lawsuit.

No there is not. The NFL would have to prove that Simmons didn't actually believe Goodell was a liar and was just stating it as a way to harm the NFL. As a legal matter, he can call Goodell a liar just like we can without getting sued by the NFL.

So It Goes fucked around with this message at Sep 25, 2014 around 01:27

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

ESPN put up an amazing #hottake. The condescending tone the piece maintains throughout is really a work of art.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs/201...ps-managing-win

quote:

So there you go. It was complicated. It was confusing. And you know what else?

It worked.

Somehow or other, whether the outside world approved or not, it worked. So maybe that's all that mattered. How about that for a theory?

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

http://thebiglead.com/2014/11/17/st...rre-radio-rant/

ESPN talked about journalistic standards when suspending Bill Simmons and its hard to see how this wouldn't violate them.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

When you read these sites on mobile, do they also have half the phone screen being taken up by useless poo poo? Literally the entire left half of the screen is taken up with the article links and a comically intrusive sidebar for social media sharing. http://i.imgur.com/nRnaj4x.png. You have to scroll so much because so much space horizontally is being used.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

sportsgenius86 posted:

I wish Wilbon was willing to run a site like that.

Wilibon has the pretty much the same opinions and mindset of Whitlock minus the Wire references.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

He wasn't fired either despite what that deadspin article asserts. I mean I understand an employer choosing to not extend a contract can be the same thing as firing, but it isn't even clear yet that is actually what happened versus Simmons himself choosing to not re-up the contract, or most likely a combination of both. Seems like the type of misleading title that deadspin would mock if another outlet wrote it.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

"We tried to make it feel like it was more than a job these last four years, but right now, itís still a job and Grantland is still being consumed and judged by the general public (with unusually high standards, too)."

What is this referring to? The transgender putter story? Why does Simmons think Grantland is judged with unusually high standards?

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

One person I hope survives any incoming Grantland changes is Jonathan Abrams. I feel like he churns out the best work but I can't imagine writing a monthly in-depth profile of an athlete is very lucrative beyond the "prestige" factor. While they have a tendency to be puffery, I do enjoy his articles and hope they continue to find a home at Grantland or somewhere else.

I thought about this after reading his article today on Mozgov. I remember enjoying his pieces on Mike Miller, Josh Smith, Draymond Green, and Mike Conley as well.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

ESPN literally shows a spelling bee every year, not to mention stuff like a hot dog eating contest, pool, bowling, poker, nascar, golf, competitive cup stacking, and even chess but people like to draw a line at e-sports for some reason.

Seriously though, the spelling bee is super dumb. ESPN should show those high school math competitions too while they are at it, and maybe the finals for a national debate club competition.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

I love The Wire but Whitlock having a twitter avatar of a Wire character and a bio that lists David Simon as one of his influences is such pseudo-intellectual bullshit that comes off as a desperate attempt to appear cultured.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

Niwrad posted:

The ESPN PR twitter feed keeps promoting these tweets as if it's some kind of favor they are doing to writers by honoring legally binding contracts.

I would think a lot of those writers would prefer a severance package and the freedom to go start work somewhere else immediately instead of probably getting buried and losing the freedom and specific editors they had in grantland (i.e. Zach Lowe won't be writing espn.com articles about mascots and use youtube links breaking down certain plays).

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

Ribsauce posted:

I wonder who at ESPN wrote that article for Greg Howard. It might as well be a press release saying "It isn't our fault, blame Bill Simmons." How can they cry he got 4 people to leave 3 weeks before they shut it down? People aren't stupid. They knew it was going to be shut down and hit the door hard and fast. If ESPN thought editors mattered they wouldn't have them as at will employees.

ESPN acted like passive aggressive babies for the last 5 months and now they want to complain about Simmons poaching talent? Maybe don't treat everyone like children by deleting mentions of any former employees in a podcast and then suspending the "offenders" on the fly (I am 100% convinced this is what happened to the Barnwell and Mays podcast). Gee, I wonder why no one is loyal to you

Taking the article at face value, he told the people to not tell anyone they were leaving until they left. This is, in fact, a "douche" move regardless of at-will employment. The standard is to submit a two-weeks notice when employees leave at-will employment to let the company find/hire/train a replacement. Simmons apparently demanded they not submit a notice.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

I mean they're free to do what they want but I have personally left two weeks notice from at-will jobs I've quit as does pretty much everyone I know who is a working professional and doesn't have a vindictive desire to burn bridges and references, not to mention not desiring to harm former co-workers who have to take up your work you left them with no notice in the meantime (even assuming the company isn't going to close soon). It's not about whether its mandatory or not, that's not the point. I do live in a very heavy employer-friendly state for what its worth (i.e. the south).

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

MourningView posted:

It is pretty dumb to expect someone to extend a courtesy to an organization that has no intention of doing the same to them. If companies are going to reap the benefit of having employees as at-will then they can suck it up and take the extremely minor in comparison downsides of that as well. ESPN apparently didn't give any of their current editors notice that they were shutting the site down so they could go find new jobs in the meantime.

It's not even 100% about whether they not owe ESPN specifically. Assuming those 4 editors actually did significant work and weren't worthless, I imagine the remaining editors at Grantland itself did not appreciate having to work 20 extra hours for the following month when the 4 editors that left could've just simply given notice instead of following Simmons grudges (assuming they did not in fact quit the same day/week Simmons said he'd hire them). I'm not saying the editors should have stayed on any longer than the did, it just don't see how it isn't douchey to not give notice of your plan to leave that wasn't some spur of the moment thing.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

Ribsauce posted:

I can't tell what is more ridiculous:

Feeling sorry for a company that laid off 5% of their workforce 3 weeks ago because 4 employees, not under contract in any way, left without notice. These employees would all be unemployed today anyway since they were at Grantland not under contract (they were at will).
or
Placing faith in a single unnamed source in a Greg Howard piece that reads (and might be) like a ghostwritten ESPN press release.

If those employees gave notice, they would not be unemployed today because they would have quit at the exact same time earlier to go join Simmons and would currently be with Simmons. The only difference would be the notice given before they left weeks ago. Goons have grown up in some crazy hostile work atmospheres where giving notice before you leave is equivalent to being a company shill/apologist and where its corporate brainwashing to consider it crappy your coworkers have to do your work for weeks just to make your new boss happy for his personal grudge when all you need to do to avoid that is simply inform you're leaving. Or somehow its assumed giving notice means staying past your intended last day as opposed to leaving that exact same last day like you always intended and just simply informing its happening, not intentionally keeping it secret because your new boss demanded it out of pettiness.

For the record, I don't feel "sorry" for ESPN at all. That doesn't change how screwed over the former Grantland workers get when they are caught in crossfire between some ridiculous blood feud.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Not saying I have any idea what ESPN would have done, and YMMV, but overwhelmingly the experience of me and everyone I know is if you give your employer 2 weeks notice the employer will immediately terminate and your former co-workers will be screwed anyway. HR departments are usually super paranoid about having workers around they know have already accepted a job from another company.

If this is actually true then I suppose you are right that YMMV, it's certainly not something I or anyone I know has experienced. I personally find it hard to believe ESPN would respond to notice by immediate termination, which seems ridiculous and implies the day-to-day job those editors did were non-important/worthless. Maybe they were, IDK.

So It Goes fucked around with this message at Oct 31, 2015 around 01:46

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

straight up brolic posted:

who cares? if you didn't want to do the above and you were at-will employee you would have no ethical or contractual obligation to do so.

"gently caress you, got mine."

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

Jummy posted:

Not really, just exercising the same rights the company has.

ESPN almost certainly would have given severance upon termination.

If you hate your employer, then sure do whatever, no one is arguing it is a legal requirement or anything. The whole context of how that came up is with the Grantland writers, and those people intentionally not giving notice at Simmons request (assuming that article is even true, which to be fair might not be) doesn't screw over ESPN who doesn't give a poo poo and was apparently ready for Grantland to end, it screws over Grantland itself, especially the remaining staff that now needs to work extra to do their editing jobs, or publish unedited articles or something. All I ever said to start this was, taking the deadspin article at face value, it is a "douche move" to request your new hires specifically not to give notice of there imminent depature. Can't believe how controversial that is, or why some people keep talking about contractual and legal obligations, when all I ever said was its a "douche move".

Dutchy posted:

I don't think I've ever seen someone do the "gently caress you got mine" thing where the "you" in question is a gigantic corporation

Do you consider Grantland a gigantic corporation? Do you really think not giving notice of incoming staffage shortage doesn't hurt Grantland?

So It Goes fucked around with this message at Nov 1, 2015 around 21:44

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

Holy poo poo we get it, you don't like Peter Thiel. Who cares if its because of personal knowledge or not?

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

If it is a joke, I legitimately don't understand what the joke even is

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

A decent read about ESPN's new sportscenter, the six.

https://www.theringer.com/2017/9/13...scenter-the-six

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

Honest question because I can't remember: why did curt schilling get fired? Was any reasoning ever given by ESPN? I mean I know it was because he's a piece of poo poo and made bigoted Facebook posts or whatever, but I don't know if ESPN ever gave formal acknowledgement about it. I'm sure the situation is already being compared by twitter users with stoner frog avatars.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

C. Everett Koop posted:

and the woman he insulted will end up losing her job and being blackballed.

There's no way this happens.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

http://www.theringer.com/platform/a...ag-bill-simmons

This has gotta be one of the stupidest column premises Iíve ever seen.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The only bad thing about that column is the presence of Gladwell

The entire column was a Gladwell piece. It couldíve been in Outliers.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

Itís kinda crazy Facebook didnít think counting 3 autoplaying seconds as a view wouldnít come back to hurt them. Maybe they decided the gain they would get from doing that while growing would outweigh the fraud claims and penalties they pay up later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

Hereís a piece by a former SI writer that delivers packages for Amazon now:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/a...-amazon/578986/