Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

PotatoJudge posted:

Matt Ufford was one of the SBNation / Vox people let go yesterday. I enjoyed his stuff from the KSK days.

https://twitter.com/mattufford/status/966711600802607106

Yeah this sucks, I know Uffsides was pretty lame but it was lame in an endearing way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

MourningView posted:

I'm pretty sure Dan Rubenstein (who also does The Solid Verbal outside of SBN) was one of the people let go but he hasn't said anything about it on Twitter yet

Oh so SB Nation literally aren't making videos any longer okay cool *deletes youtube subscription*

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Spencer Hall: Golf Journalist.

https://www.sbnation.com/features/2018/2/26/17027836/waste-management-phoenix-open-rickie-fowler-phil-mickelson

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Redgrendel2001 posted:

I've never really read him before, at least that I can remember, so I looked for recent stuff and this piece is loving magnificent.

https://www.sbnation.com/features/2018/2/26/17027836/waste-management-phoenix-open-rickie-fowler-phil-mickelson

This is going to be appalling but I only knew him as a ~twitter and podcast personality~ and never read his stuff but he is drat good.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The Delly career path includes winning a Championship though right

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah online chess is dope.

Actually Rainbow Six Siege is a great spectator eSport because they have excellent casting tools and the hilight players through walls so when you are POV you can see the guy hiding and wonder if they will see them in time etc.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Are there any "City" teams in the MLS? New York City, Philidelphia City, Boston City etc?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Oh I thought they were NY FC see what do I know.

Only thing better than Orlando City would be Orlando Wednesday or something.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

I've never understood why you wouldn't be unionised in a line of work as fickle to the owner's whims as being an Old Fashioned Newspaper Person but America, I guess.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
To be fair, before this were were focusing on "killing average" and now it's "lives ruined percentage", sure the book was a miss but we really changed the way we evaluate serial killers.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Like, Waited Lives Ruined+ (wLR+) was groundbreaking at the time.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Hell yeah

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

exploded mummy posted:

WWE and UFC follow the combat sports/pro wrestling models that have been around for decades at this point. It's not really anything new.

The talent should be unionized, but that's an entirely separate can of worms.

Wwe wrestlers are in no way independent contractors though. They are salaried employees with no benefits.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Jota posted:

ariel helwani is a massive dweeb and also absolutely awful and loving with him is one of the best things dana white has ever done

He is a giant dweeb but also Dana is a piece of poo poo who shits on reporters that do their job when it inconveniences him so it all evens out.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

I don't understand why people would visit the Athletic for the big European leagues when there are like, European websites in English that already have tonnes of excellent paid journalists covering all this?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
If the onion goes away society has failed imo

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
They used to cover everything, now they have like 4 writers to cover the remaining 8 shows that people still care about.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Unavision looking into selling Deadspin, Onion etc

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
So that sucks but whats the deal with no paramedics in an ambulance

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of, I read A Season On The Brink and despite it aging very poorly in A few areas, enjoyed it. Any other books like that worth reading?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
6 time NBA champion and they can never take that away from him. Unless he murders his ex wife and a waiter that is.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

R.D. Mangles posted:

YOU ARE BRIAN ORAKPO

"What the hell are we even doing here, man?"

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Wait, so what is the take here? A bunch of hand wringing about "the kids" playing the game "the wrong way?"

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

morestuff posted:

Vishnevetsky was their last good writer, Dowd has OK taste but his prose is boring

Vishnevetsky still writes on occasion but yeah, I used to Love the AV club.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Things were never the same after Klaw was replaced on the Baseball Tonight podcast.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
After Russia bowed out of WW1 the Allies performed better - Is Russa the new Ewing: my podcast.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Spoeank posted:

does FDR's death fall under the Ewing Theory

This is far better than mine.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

habeasdorkus posted:

Stalin (to Trotsky): The game has not changed, comrade. It has just gotten more fierce.

Trotsky, looking up to the man with the ice pick: get on with it motherfu

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

DJExile posted:

lmao these are gonna own

quote:

“Immediately, I’m like, ‘This is gonna be a shitshow,’” says Williams.

Incredible.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ilmucche posted:

The first episode of the mariners video series is amazing.

One error they mention nothing good about the Pilots but they did give us "ahh shitfuck".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I know we can't really lionize SB Nation rightnow, I mean, who the gently caress Furloughs the Shutdown Fullcast.

But god loving damnit that Mariners series is so good.

That youtube comment sums it up - "I could watch a Jon Bois series on how I personally was a giant idiot, and still enjoy it."