Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Jon Heyman is a birther

If albert pujols wants to beat $200M 9-yr cardinals offer, he should produce birth certificate. skepticism abounds over 31 claim

:ughh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

hcreight posted:

Oh hey, they didn't cheer for an abhorrent politician.

Do they get a second lifetime pass if they don't boo after the national anthem on MLB Opening Day?

Before the Winter Classic in Philly, the Canadian National Anthem was sung for some reason.

That got booed

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Nut Bunnies posted:

Jon Heyman made a "best signings of the offseason" list. It's worse than I could have ever imagined.

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/33714192/34892221

1. Francisco Cordero 2. Brad Lidge 3. Carlos Beltran 4. Ryan Madson 5. Alex Gonzalez 6. Joel Pineiro 7. Chris Capuano 8. Paul Maholm 9. Lyle Overbay 10. Jon Garland 11. Ryan Spilborghs 12. Mike MacDougal 13. Kosuke Fukudome 14. Micah Owings 15. Jonny Gomes 16. K-Rod

This is the worst thing I've ever read.

Good god :stonk:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Tae posted:

Hey, you might say the phrase they used for Lin is just an expression. Could happen to anyone, right?

Or...maybe this is just what they do.

I'm getting the feeling this ESPNM headline guy is trying to be the NHL.com pun guy, but failing quite miserably.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

Question for baseball people: is there a consensus on Lincecum's delivery at all? Wasn't there a big hubbub about how his dad was a mechanic and that his athletic delivery puts less stress on the arm than most windups? And now that article says that he's a ticking time bomb. What gives?

I remember the dude on Hardball Times who used to analyze pitching motions was in love with Lincecum, so I don't get it.

I always thought Lincecum's leg was more likely to implode than his arm. The amount of weight and stretch on his leg during in his delivery seams unreal, especially when he does it 100+ times a game.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

stuart scott irl posted:

I think I'm more tired of the "Bayless is just an IRL troll! heh you gotta give him credit!" narrative than Skip Bayless himself

Is there any proof whatsoever that Skip is a "professional troll" and the "professional troll" is not some half-baked rationalization to explain the fact that nobody can be that dumb?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Niwrad posted:

Wouldn't someone like Stan Van Gundy be good on the show? I always think a coach would make a great addition as they see things in the game differently from everyone else. Phil would be unique too.

Not NBA specifically, but I'd like to see more refs on pre-game shows in general. Kerry Fraser (retired NHL ref) writes a column for TSN every now and then and there's usually an interesting tidbit in them. Refs definitely see the game differently, and their expiernces would be cool to hear, I think.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Between Soccer, Hockey, and F1, NBC is going all in on sports Americans don't watch.

NBC owns

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Deathlove posted:

http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/9338962/when-beautiful-game-turns-ugly

When The Beautiful Game Turns Ugly - A journey into the world of Italy's racist soccer thugs.

Pretty great.

This is a pro-read, even if you're not a soccer fan

Lazio :frogout:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Benne posted:

SB Nation's latest longform talks about the greatest sport of all time.

:swoon: MOTHERFUCKING BATTLEBOTS :swoon:

http://www.sbnation.com/longform/2013/6/18/4438250/battlebots-robot-wars-combat-oral-history

The pro-est read, right here

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

GOOMF :allears:

That was the best Internet show

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Kalli posted:

Some folks over at Deadspin take a look at what Sportscenter covered last year:

http://deadspin.com/what-i-learned-...dium=socialflow

Hockey got more coverage than NASCAR what? Didn't expect that at all. Suck it NASCAR :smug:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

It's definitely an eyebrow-raiser that ESPN showed more NHL highlights, a league it doesn't own the rights to, than NASCAR highlights. Of course, now that NASCAR has packed up and signed a $4.4 billion deal with NBC, we can probably figure out why.

Really? When did this happen and how did I miss it? NBC has all the major auto racing "leagues" now, which is super cool. If NBC brands this the right way, that would rule and really help them.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

MourningView posted:

There are substantially more hockey games than NASCAR races so I'm not sure why you think this is weird or something nefarious.

There's the narrative of NASCAR being the "fastest growing spectator sport" along with super high attendance numbers. I don't have numbers so I could be misremembering that. Furthermore, NASCAR is way more popular than hockey will ever be (sadly) so I would assume ESPN would reflect that. And the "ESPN hates hockey" has been A Thing for a while now so NASCAR should pass hockey by default just because hockey can't get any time.

MourningView posted:

Yeah hockey's a niche thing here. That doesn't make it a bad sport or anything (I don't passionately follow it because I'm usually tied up in basketball that time of year, but I started following the Ducks a bit after moving here and enjoyed it; please don't tell hockey fans), but I don't think it's ever going to get a huge audience. Which is fine. The people who love it really really love it, and that's cool.

:respek: that's cool MV.

Kibner posted:

Don't MLS stadiums have larger capacity stadiums and play far fewer games than the NBA?

Depends. Most stadiums are around the 20K mark, same as NBA but you have a few teams piggyback NFL stadia which skews things. And yeah, MLS teams play slightly less than half the games NBA does

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Vertical Lime posted:

Jason Whitlock is coming back to ESPN:

http://www.thebiglead.com/index.php/2013/08/14/jason-whitlock-has-left-fox-sports-to-return-to-espn/

Who cares about burning bridges when there's a war to win

Noooooooooooo

What did we do to deserve this?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

What did Jen Floyd Engel write to earn "The Worst Columnist in America" distinction over the Rick Reily Redskin thing? And Rick Riley in general.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

morestuff posted:

Yeah, I'd rather a columnist be willing to change their mind than entrench.

Jubs posted:

But to never acknowledge his drastic difference of opinion is a common theme these days.

Speaking of which, back in the spring, Heath Evans wrote some article which said the Chip Kelly would be the worst NFL hire of all time.

:laffo:

The other day, he was on Philly radio and instead of owning up to his stupidity, he blamed his editors instead.

Heath Evans is the worst

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

swizz posted:

David Hill's recent article on Grantland, entitled "Can't Knock the Hustle", is a fascinating look into the world of modern billiards and a really fantastic read

Also definitive proof that momentum is A Thing

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Get this man a Something Awful Forums Account.

He already has one

Kyooooooooooon

Yeeeeeeeeeeees It's party time

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

The B_36 posted:

The content of her apology seemed fine actually, despite using that opening line for it. It didn't seem like she was trying to subtly blame other people for gettting offended, and took responsibility for it herself.

I'd be more shocked that it took her until now, TYOOL 2015, to realize that dressing in blackface is incredibly stupid and racist.

There's a reason why "White Australia" was An Official Thing for a long time

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Groucho Marxist posted:

Who even knows about election season for 538 considering that Nate Silver screwed the pooch on his UK election predictions and then went on a big baby rant about how the polls are broke the next morning.

Tbf a lot of people screwed up the UK elections

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Is Goddell worse than Mark Emmert or who whoever runs the IOC?

:iiam:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

There are things about Reddit that are Bad

People like reading about things that are Bad

By writing about the things about Reddit that are Bad, Gawker ensures that people will read stuff

Now you understand. Congratulations.

If this is about the Conde Nast thing, I thought they cut ties with Reddit a while ago

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Mornacale posted:

Posting that particular thing is pretty scummy, but I can appreciate the impulse to refuse any outside request (in particular from a rich and influential individual) to change or remove content in the media.

Right, but how does that apply to Hulk Hogan?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

e: unless you were saying "how does 'rich and influential' apply to Hulk Hogan" in which case I missed :thejoke:

this

dude's a joke at this point

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Kalli posted:

To update, Tommy Craggs and Max Read, executive editor and EIC respectively have resigned from Gawker.

Is this over Conde Nast, The Hulkster, or both

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Debate & Discussion is discovering the magic of Whitlock for the first time after he wrote something re: the Missouri controversies.

link pls

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

chunkles posted:

You didn't post that dude's picture

e: Josh Innes was a loving idiot in Houston too

Please don't post pictures of me on the internet tia

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Christ Pseudoscientist posted:

https://twitter.com/AriMelber/status/706972050670415872

Am I reading that wrong or is the hotel responsible for only half?

Where's the stalker gonna get 28 million from?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Gawker sucks

Hulk Hogan also sucks

That's my hot take

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Gawker sucks, Hulk Hogan also sucks

I wish Hogan won, but got $0 in damages

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino always used to speak through an interpreter when he was Southampton manager. He knew English, but it wasn't strong enough to completely articulate what he meant but know he knows enough to ditch the translator

I thought Poch used the translator to openly gently caress with the media

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Is Pat Forde the one that changes mock draft retroactively to make him look better?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

And at the end of the day, Screamin' A will be the last man standing

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Kalli posted:

Adam Jones pointed out that a chunk of Red Sox fans are pretty racist, but that's not enough for Albert Breer, he demands the evidence:

https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/859444511461830656

just tweet SoilingOfOldGlory.jpg at him

Its not that hard

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Shooting a ball into a hoop from 24 feet out is in fact, kinda hard

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

I'd like the NBA a lot more if the intentional fouling at the end of games was banned

that poo poo is awful

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

DeimosRising posted:

Limp Bizkit and the Emininems caused Trump and internet Nazis. Well developed thesis there Hannah Arendt

To be slightly less flippant, you're giving being a dimwit as a teenager way too much credit. The increased public presence of the far right has everything to do with the systemic consequences of the 2008 economic collapse, and the many interests in directing the response to that away from left wing organizing and towards reactionary bullshit, and nothing to do with 14 year olds calling each other homos in 2003

I'm pretty sure Eminem is not a Trumpist

Find that anti-Kid Rock freestyle

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

How many Bayless' are there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

DJExile posted:

I get the wondering from OTL, and they're not entirely wrong to ask it because there really hasn't been that much coverage about Nassar, but come the gently caress on, guys.

Compares to how much coverage the Aziz Ansari story got, Nassar is flying completely under the radar which is unfortunate