Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«3 »
Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Weebly posted:

I know this was in another thread but I think it applies better here. Why do people hate Dan LeBatard? He always comes across as a laid back guy, who is mildly funny. Never comes across like a skip bayless blowhard.

I agree. He says his share of stupid poo poo, but he comes across as so much less arrogant about it. Kornheiser and Wilbon are so ridiculously dismissive and sure of themselves no matter how often they are wrong. LeBatard seems to understand that he's a doofus who is just guessing like everyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

BackInTheUSSR posted:

I knew he was fairly hated around the Deadspin circle but they linked to this piece he wrote, and wow. http://espn.go.com/espn/page2/index?id=4892536

I don't.

Understand.

What is wrong.

With that.

Article.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Ribsauce posted:

I was pretty excited about Grantland because I have always felt long form sports journalism needed a stronger foothold on the internet. So far I am really enjoying most of the content.

The article about sports on a DVR is spot on. I simply cannot watch sports if they are not live. I DVR NBA games all the time but never watch them if it is not live. My dad does a hybrid version of recording, he has it down where he will record the game and then start watching from when the 1st quarter is actually ending* and he has it timed so he can skip commericals and catch up to the game being live with about 8 minutes left. I cannot even do that. I never thought about it, but that point about the commercials upping the drama is spot on. On the rare times I have to DVR a game I go to insane extremes to not find out the score. It is just flat out impossible unless you watch it right when you wake up or something.

Everyone stay off Ribsauce's lawn.

Seriously though, the joy of being able to watch two football games in the same span it takes to watch one live, while both games are being played, far outweighs any of the negatives. My wife is a Steelers fan, we watch the start of the game live until the first commercial break, then pause it. Then, if the Raiders are playing, I'll have had that game on the other tuner. Switch to that game, watch it until we catch up to live and the first live commercial, pause, switch back. loving awesome. I do admit, you have to sort of blur your vision to the ticker and do a "la la la, I can't hear you" when they switch for a highlight, but it still works out most of the time.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Ribsauce posted:

Would it be the same to you if you recorded the Raiders and then watched it after the Steelers game even if you did not know the outcome

The same? No, because by definition it's not. But does it ruin the experience? No. If you don't know the outcome, the senses of anticipation and excitement are all in your head.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

GoutPatrol posted:

But this is the first thing I have ever seen/read that successfully taught me the how cricket works.

The first thing I think of when I hear "Cricket" is this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0jPaTmWF5I
There's a tiny clip of this in Take Him to the Greek, this is the full skit.

Now that I have a rough idea of how the game is played, I think of this: http://www.videodetective.com/movie...-trailer/533796

They cut off the end of the play though. And The Fantastic Mr. Fox rules.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

haljordan posted:

McCourt might be a horrible owner, but is there any real proof that ANYTHING he did/did not do lead to the Bryan Stow incident? Unless there's footage of him fleeing the scene wielding a steel pipe, seems like a useless thing to include in the article.

I think the head of security called McCourt the day of the game and said, "Sir, we need you to come out and help with security for tonight's game," and McCourt said, "I can't, I have a squabbling session scheduled for tonight."

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

It has to be said that Simers long ago gave up any claim to being a real columnist. He's a print version of Skip Bayless, except his stuff is even more obviously meant to piss people off. Seriously, he barely tries to hide it.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Just caught this on Sportscenter. DVRd it so I could get it verbatim:

Cindy Brunson
"John, Kevin Kolb has started just seven NFL games, the Cardinals are giving up a lot to get him. How big of a risk is this for Arizona?"

John "NFL Insider" Clayton
"It's a big risk if he fails but it's not a big risk if he succeeds."

Where would we be without that kind of insight?

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Politicalrancor posted:

thats a pretty good nugget

Lofty nugget.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

rebel1608 posted:

He's talking about a game that actually counted last year (yes the Texans were shameful thanks for asking)

Peter King and sample size, two concepts that don't go together. Using his idiotic metric you can make a lot of lovely QBs look really good.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Michael Wilbon/Bill Plaschke/Generic idiot:
"This SABREmetric junk has to go, these bunch of loser stat heads in their basements with their computers, reducing the game to numbers, it's all junk."

Next topic, the Cy Young race:
"Joe Blow is leading the league with 24 wins and he has the best ERA, he should win it."

That's the part that's always cracked me up. It's not that they are against stats, if they were, they'd be anti-baseball. It's that they are against stats that they don't understand and are too lazy to learn. My knowledge of advanced stats is rudimentary at best, but their rise in prominence rekindled my interest in baseball.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Crazy Ted posted:

It's only tangentally related to sports journalism but I'm gonna post it because it's the New York Post and it's NWS.

http://www.sportsgrid.com/mlb/new-y...fi-a-rod-cover/

I've got a pretty hosed up sense of humor (kind of hard to read SA for 10 years if you don't) and I think that's sad. It's the kind of thing you get in an email fwd. from the guy who sends racist Obama jokes.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Zeeman posted:

So apparently steroids help you get shots on goal

I know jack about hockey and that was the first loving thing I thought. What an idiot.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Mornacale posted:

Honestly, I'll defend that. Unlike baseball, where the effect of steroids is pretty questionable, it's fairly certain that steroids can help make someone a stronger, faster skater; this would increase a player's chance to get open, and hence get shots on goal.

That said, the allegation itself is retarded and who gives a gently caress anyway?

Ok, makes sense. As an outsider to the sport, I was thinking along the lines of someone like Gretzky, who not only wasn't ripped or large, but didn't look particularly healthy (I remember seeing a picture of him without a shirt on and thinking, "Holy poo poo, I'm bigger than him."). But that's probably not fair of me since I'm using one freakish example rather than the norm.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Jota posted:

Good take

RACK HIM.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Mornacale posted:

I imagine that the idea of statutes of limitations is that if a person has demonstrated a lengthy enough period of good behavior, then we might reasonably assume that they are already rehabilitated and no longer a danger to society.

There's also the fading of memories by witnesses, lost or compromised physical evidence...

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

peepoogenderparts posted:

Alongside Bill Plaschke's book about Tommy Lasorda, it is easily the worst book I've ever read.

For those of us who missed it, could you give a brief rundown of what Plaschke's Lasorda book was like?

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-s...-214155766.html

Regarding a Anquan Boldin's cheap shot today:

Idiot posted:

Dan Dierdorf expressed surprise that the officials didn't throw a flag on either the holds or the end game, but I'm pleased they didn't. The play was dirty, a little ugly and wouldn't be tolerated on a game-to-game basis in the regular season.

This is the playoffs, though. The normal rules don't apply. Don't decide the game with whistles, let players decide the game themselves. And if that involves a little extracurriculars after the play is over, so be it.

But if a player commits an infraction -- gently caress, never mind. Jesus Christ.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

haljordan posted:

I'm not saying Sabermetrics is the Alpha & Omega in judging sports performances, but it'd be nice if someone could write a criticism that shows they actually know what any of those stats measure. Every time I hear a radio DJ or read a sportswriter's rant, they don't even bother. They just make dumb, punny jokes about VORP and poo poo.

Holy poo poo, this. It's common to hear something like, "VORP, what is that, something from Star Trek, NEERRRRRRRDS, pocket protectors, mom's basement...." Then in the next segment, "Joe Blow should get the Cy Young because [lists statistics]."

They aren't against statistics, they are against statistics that they are too lazy to learn about. They won't criticize them substantively because they aren't capable.

One other thing. You know who I've seen criticize Sabermetrics the most? Guys who are into Sabermetrics. I've repeatedly seen them lay out why this stat isn't the final word, or why that stat doesn't paint the whole picture.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Medical Sword posted:

I think it's less "sabermetrics people criticize sabermetrics" and more that people who are into sabermetrics are (rightly) skeptical by nature about the application of statistics and want to encourage a broader knowledge base in people who don't know anything or much about sabermetrics than "I just discovered OPS+. *ranks all players by OPS+"

That's more or less what I was trying to say.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

OctoberBlues posted:

I don't think this is really new. When ESPN has Did You Know in the 90s, wasn't it mostly random crap like that?

Hell, when I was a kid, one of the alternate PBP announcers for the Dodgers (Vinny would do three innings then sit for three) named Ross Porter did this constantly. I used to make fun of him for stuff like, "Orel Hershiser is 10-7 when [insert completely irrelevant, random, idiotic situation or condition]."

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

leokitty posted:

I know that things are different in the outside of SAS world but does anyone give a gently caress? I have heard zip from anybody at work, in the neighborhood, etc

I'm baffled by it. It's not like Cashman is a household name. He's not a "family values" maniac whose hypocrisy deserves exposure. He was already separated from his wife. What the gently caress is Daulerio thinking? Normally when he does scummy stories, you can at least grasp why he's doing it.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

quote:

Eli and Peyton now have as many rings as you combined over the past five years. You haven't sniffed one in seven.

Someone doesn't know what "sniffed" means. If you make the Superbowl, you have sniffed a ring. If you make the Superbowl and have the lead late, you've sniffed a ring.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

That's the part of the article you are targeting?

I pretty much knew what the article would be like, so that part jumped out at me.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

barkingclam posted:

At least Reilly laid off on the dental jokes this time!

What a coLincidence! I guess Reilly was just maiLin' it in!

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

BackInTheUSSR posted:

There are bits that are interesting but I thought it was too long and went into too much depth about mergers, acquisitions, MNF/SNF, etc. The best nuggets are from disgruntled commentators who don't really care what ESPN The Brand thinks about their comments. Stephen A was candid, anything about Olbermann was great, and the parts about the culture at early ESPN being incredibly sexist (and also basically one giant orgy) were interesting.

I haven't finished it yet, but this is pretty much a perfect review. I get the feeling that they couldn't get as much juicy gossip as they had anticipated, so they had to fill space with some seemingly endless business stuff that populates much of the early part of the book.

And yeah, the Olbermann stuff is great. The guy is a magnificent bastard.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

toadee posted:

I'm surprised that concern for jockey safety, let alone even a modicum of compassion for the horses hasn't caused more to be done by now.

Go to TVIV and read the last five or so pages of the thread for the HBO show Luck. They were recently canceled because of low ratings and that they managed to have three horses die during production.

There's a lot of people in that thread and elsewhere more or less hand waving the deaths of the horses. Everything from, "Real racing is worse," to "poo poo happens." I've pointed out that a shitload of movies have managed to do big horse racing scenes and not hurt a single horse, doesn't seem to get through.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

They deal with vague generalities because it immunizes them from being wrong. If you cite specific tactics and objective things like Cuban did in that video, you can be proven wrong (not to mention you actually have to pay attention, watch something other than the guy with the ball, etc.).

If I talk about: grittiness, guttiness, wanted it more, momentum, doesn't know how to finish, chokes in the end, clutchiness, and on and on, it's meaningless and just about impossible to argue with.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Kalli posted:

Jeremy Schaap wheeled out for one of those 'serious news' pieces on sportscenter : "Only the most most sycophantic dead enders remain in Paterno's camp. Needless to say, his son Jay Paterno is standing his ground."

Wait, he actually loving said that?! That's spectacular.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Kalli posted:

Yeah, I was shocked he actually said that, and followed it up with a disastrous clip from Thursday's Jay Paterno interview.

Found it!

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=8166061

The specific remark is at about 2:05.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Perhaps the most horrifying thing about this thread is that the writers who are most obviously horrible and get lots of mentions here are frequently perpetual award winners. Plaschke has won several writer or columnist of the year awards in a row. Peter King just won some honor.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Badfinger posted:

King has chosen to turn his columns into 1500 word rambles about slop and garbage, but is fundamentally and technically a sound writer.

I don't know, a good chunk of the poo poo that Kissing Suzy Kolber dumps on him every Monday is his mangling of the written word. Unless you mean he has chosen to turn his columns into slop in every area, including grammar.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Grozz Nuy posted:

It seems like there's a key difference between those two men but I can't quite put my finger on it...

I'd go with the fact that cheater or not (har), Barry Bond's is an unqualified rear end in a top hat, one of monumental proportions. Doesn't mean it's fair, but that's how it goes.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Moe_Rahn posted:

So is Lance Armstrong.

You know what I mean.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Badfinger posted:

From many non-interviewer observer reports, Mr. Armstrong is a tremendous jerk in a lot of ways.

I understand that. But on a day-to-day, interaction with the press and most fans basis, he's not. That that might be an act is believable, but with Bonds, you never had to guess, the guy was a prick to just about everyone just about all the time. Some of the stuff about him in Game of Shadows is cartoonish.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Mornacale posted:

At least Deadspin has, to the best of my knowledge, yet to publish video of an actual surprise sex. So they're beating out Jezebel.

Maybe.

GQ Magazine posted:

For the rest of the afternoon, Daulerio and the woman traded five e-mails. Finally, before handing the matter off to Darbyshire, Daulerio wrote, "It's not getting taken down. I've said that. And it's not a very serious matter. It is a dumb mistake you (or whomever) made while drunk in college. Happens to the best of us."

The next day, though, he and Darbyshire decided that removing the video was "the best course of action," Darbyshire says. But by then it had migrated to other sites. And a couple of days after that, Daulerio received a panicked call from the girl's father. "He had this basic breakdown on the phone," Daulerio recalled. "The guy is like, 'You gotta understand, I've just been dealing with watching my daughter get hosed in a pile of piss for the past two days.'"

Daulerio now says he wishes he hadn't run the video. "It wasn't funny," he says. "It was possibly surprise sex. I was trying to kind of put it in that same category [as the Dallas video]. I didn't really look at the thing close enough to realize there's maybe something a little more sinister going on here and a little more disturbing."

http://www.gq.com/sports/profiles/2...y#ixzz28JpKqZbT

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

jyrka posted:

Honest enough mistake to make. No big deal at all.

Typo. "The White" are all really close to the letters that form, "Sand Monkeys."

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Bigass Moth posted:

If reading is hard, local radio guy makes an ill-advised tweet about Desmond Howard and then Kirk Herbstreit flexes his Buckeye muscles to get him fired. I've met Kirk before and, surprise, he was a total douche then as well.

They don't present any evidence of it, but I can believe something happened. That remark was so tame compared to the typical stuff shock jocks get away with on the air. Hell, those two assholes that joked about Weird Al Yankovic's parents dying when he was a guest on the show are still on the air.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Blitzer did do some nice work on Skyfall though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Crossposting from the NCAA thread: In light of the Hope Solo/Jerramy Stevens saga, here's the Seattle Times investigation into the behavior of Jerramy Stevens. This story does what all good investigative journalism should: It gets out of its own way and lets the facts tell the story.

My jaw hurts from gritting my teeth reading that story. gently caress.

«3 »