Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Carlosologist posted:

speaking of The Ringer, I really like their NBA stuff, very reminiscent of Grantland. wish Goldsberry and Lowe had jumped with Simmons but alas

Goldsberry's working for the Spurs now and I'd have to imagine even if Grantland was still around he'd have gone with that job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

OctoberBlues posted:

The Ringer is nice to have because there's some good stuff, but I don't check it every day like I did Grantland and I can't imagine I ever will.

Honestly for me all of the 'must-read' writers from Grantland (Zach Lowe, Kirk Goldsberry, Robert Mays, Bill Barnwell, Chris Brown, Shea Serrano, Rembert Browne, Wesley Morris) aren't on The Ringer except for Robert Mays and now they have him doing really short articles

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

GobiasIndustries posted:

I'm more disappointed than mad. I really liked Grantland but the new site is shifting farther away from sports than I really care for and a lot of the sports writing isn't really captivating.

There's literally no sports to write about right now

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Niwrad posted:

He said he wants to beat Vilerat's Mom to death.

Really it's a mercy killing to save her from having to watch the Chargers this season

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Short white guy that can't get laid is 100% my mental image of anyone that uses the term 'SJW' on the internet

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Adults talking out a twitter feud gives me a glimmer of hope for the future of discourse in America

Niwrad posted:

They just don't have the kind of writers that Grantland had. Some of the best people moved on to other ventures.

I think they should have put more effort into building out that podcast network. Simmons show feels half-assed, although maybe that's because he was putting most of the effort into the HBO show. Keepin it 1600 was a nice breakout podcast but I'm not sure if it has legs now that the election is over. Otherwise the rest just feel like mediocre podcasts about a topic with nothing distinguishing about them.

I actually think being in opposition is the best thing that could happen for Keepin It 1600's popularity.

Adun fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Nov 15, 2016

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

FMguru posted:

Very solid article. It nails the perfect adjective to describe The Ringer - "inessential."

It's just depressing that whenever I read the Ringer I can't help but think about how much better Grantland was

I really miss the more ridiculous Remebrt Browne articles like his last ever Grantland piece:

http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospectus/rembert-explains-sisqos-unleash-the-dragon/

Adun fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Nov 17, 2016

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Respect to Dan LeBatard

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Teemu Pokemon posted:

Am i wrong for unabashedly liking Le Batard? I feel like doing so is a thing that might blacklist me from being allowed to have an intelligent opinion on sports journalism, but I've always found his takes, hot and tepid, to at least be somewhat refreshing, and the fact that Bomani Jones likes him is good enough for me

I honestly just thought of him as some generic lovely ESPN talking head but I totally agree with you. Plus Highly Question is pretty entertaining

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Robert Mays and Bill Barnwell did a podcast together so it's all good

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

GobiasIndustries posted:

This actually would not be a bad deal for either side. Bill can keep doing his own thing but he gets access to their archives and reach for footage, they don't have to deal with Bill beyond letting him do documentary stuff which he seems to have a knack for.

How exactly is The Ringer doing anyway?

His podcast sponsors have seemingly improved from like MeUndies to Delta Airlines

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
They also axed Trent Dilfer

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Scaramouche posted:

Isn't Rovell also just fine and dandy with NCAA athletes not getting paid?

Of course. It would be off-brand for the NCAA to work for the benefit of athletes

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

milk milk lemonade posted:

Lowe and Barnwell anchored Grantland. Andrew Sharp was literally the worst. Shea Serrano's shtick got old insanely fast.

They had some fairly poo poo pop culture writers. That guy who's now at the Atlantic wrote some poo poo that he had to have been paid for (Rae Sremmurd) considering his other hobby was writing masturbatory navel-gazing tripe about going to Ferguson and wandering around or how great he is because he met he president. Greenwald was excellent, but more the exception than the rule. Their college coverage was god awful.

I can imagine The Ringer is struggling because not a single good writer came with Simmons. And it's too bad, because what is left after you take them out is a smorgasbord of terrible morons.

Edit: Kirk Goldsberry ruled. They also let that old rear end guy from Boston write huge articles bitching about Boston being persecuted. Simmons is an assclown.

Wait are you talking about Rembert because you could not be more wrong.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
People consume like 75% of internet content while at work. How exactly am I going to watch a video while pretending to work.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
If somehow the Original Grantland crew got together I would pay at least $10/mo just for access to the website and podcasts.

I can't be the only one willing to pay for good content

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Niwrad posted:

I don't like it but video ads bring in so much more revenue. Chasing clicks for written content is just not that profitable. And ad blockers are making it tougher everyday.

Maybe it's creating a bubble but they are seeing the trend of young people cutting the cord and consuming their video content online. More upside in trying to be the next generation's ESPN vs competing for clicks on Facebook with a thousand garbage clickbait sites to show ads with terrible CPM rates..

It just seems so stupid because it's not like people are cutting the cord and just trawling the internet for random internet videos to watch. It's people cutting the cord and then showing a willingness to pay for good content like Netflix/Amazon/Hulu/HBO

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Niwrad posted:

You're describing older cord cutters. Young cord cutters are watching YouTube, Twitch, Facebook, and Twitter videos. People mock popular YouTubers but they are getting millions of views per video which is a bigger audience than many shows on cable sports channels. And much more views than a well-written article on Buzzfeed or Vice.

This isn't the death of sports journalism. Fox and Vice just decided they didn't want to be in that field anymore. It's too competitive when your competition is anyone with the ability to setup Wordpress. I'm not saying I think the strategy will work, I just think the idea that written sports journalism is dying is silly. The opposite has happened. There are so many people and places writing about sports that the ability to turn a profit in the field has become incredibly difficult. And those that do are seeing their margins shrink.

While that's fair, older cord cutters are the demographic everyone wants because they can actually afford to buy poo poo.

I'm pretty curious about The Athletic, and for only $40/yr I'll give it a try once they start doing national coverage/local coverage of teams I care about

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

ElwoodCuse posted:

Using everyone's favorite code phrases:

All they do is dunk
One on one and 8 guys standing around
No defense
College game is better

I love the NBA but the NCAA tournament is consistently the most entertaining basketball because single elimination tournaments are dope.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

FuzzySkinner posted:

https://twitter.com/KFCBarstool/status/896460973271384064

I wanna kick the rear end of everyone associated with that absolute poo poo hole of a website.

gently caress them.

Doing the bare minimum of Twittering would show that he was responding to idiots on Twitter who were giving Barstool poo poo about making fun of some alt-right rear end in a top hat in this article.

I don't like most of Barstool's stuff but trying to call them out as Nazis or something is idiotic.

Edit: Goddamnit can't believe I'm spending this much time defending Barstool but if you read the Tweet right before the one you quoted he's literally calling these alt-right dickheads Nazis.

Adun fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Aug 13, 2017

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
I mean we all post on a website that became popular thanks to photoshops of Cambodian children during the Vietnam running away from Barney in terror so I'm having trouble getting too worked up about jokes made in bad taste

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Let's be honest pinstripes are pretty much modern day brownshirts

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
The minute they start covering my teams or a bit more national I'm absolutely signing up

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

AsInHowe posted:

Agreed. There's a certain segment of a potential audience that rejects Barstool that they could get, if they break free.

I dunno. I've subscribed to PMT for about a year now and I've never been on Barstool. It's pretty easy to separate the two.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Props to Sam Ponder for calling out the lovely behavior by Barstool. It'll be interesting to see how ESPN reacts (if they even do) given they're normally so against intracompany fighting

Adun fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Oct 17, 2017

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
PFT went from a pretty niche internet dude before Barstool to hosting probably the biggest podcast around and getting a show on ESPN.

It’d be completely understandable and human for him to feel some loyalty to Barstool even though he’s responsible for his own success.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Niwrad posted:

And PFT and Big Cat's boss demanding the Barstool name be on the show cost them the gig. I didn't think they needed to get out before but now it seems like that guy is going to hold them back.

According to their latest podcast the name was originally supposed to just be Pardon My Take. Two weeks ago Dave Portnoy apparently pushed to change the name to Barstool Van Talk which PFTCommenter was against.

So sounds like Portnoy tried to pull some bullshit at the last second which ended up loving over everyone. What an rear end in a top hat. Hopefully this speeds up PFT’s exit.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Springing it on ESPN with two weeks to go in a months long process though is super lovely.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Aww Rembert Brown is on the list too

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

General Dog posted:

I don't know if all the supporting facts about what the abolitionists wanted are correct, but if they are I think it's a reasonable argument. At risk of pushing us further astray, it would be like people saying now that all guns need to be confiscated by the government with no restitution for the owners. It would be a non-starter. It's not a perfect analogy since anything to do with guns whatsoever is a non-starter, but the same was probably true of slaves so maybe it is. I dunno, stop making fun of him, I see what he's saying.

This pre-supposes that human beings can be property. Obviously they can't so any law which treats human as property is wrong and is illegal.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Redgrendel2001 posted:

That's actually pretty mild for him and yeah the brother thing is weird. Totally opposite personalities.

Don't Rick and Skip Bayless have beef too?

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
It’s funny because there is no NY sports team worth covering at the moment

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

JoeCL posted:

For me personally the reason I cooled on Silver is that whatever the utility of his stats models in predicting elections, most of his actual political analysis has been virtually indistinguishable from any other random pundit. During the primary he wrote a column about how Trump voters might not actually vote or one of the many similar excuses people came up with for why Trump's polls didn't count. And it was virtually identical to all of the articles by other pundits on why Trump could never actually win. When you take away the statistical models he's basically a replacement level pundit.

Honestly feels like the Upshot is doing more interesting/newer things over the last few years.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Grayson Allen is a dickbag but he’s our national championship game winning dickbag. I can’t imagine anyone who’s not a Duke fan liking him though so wtf Seth Davis.

It’s like Bruce Bowen, although some how that dude parlayed being disliked by everyone into a TV gig.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Crazy Ted posted:

He easily could have been a lottery pick if he would have entered the draft after his Sophomore season, when his basic stats were 21/5/4 and a couple of steals per game with shooting splits of .466/.417/.849. He just hasn't improved at all since then.

Dude must not care that much about either A) money, or B) having an NBA career. The mock drafts I've seen have him at the end of the first round now.

I'm sure part of it is he doesn't care that much about A and B but his sophomore year he was definitely relying a lot on his athleticism/driving ability to score and that would've translated like poo poo to the NBA. He's become more of a shooter this year (although shooting at worse % than two years ago) which is the role he'd have to have in the NBA.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Even if they Uber wasn't lovely they are insanely unprofitable because you will not make money running a transit service in America, especially if you want to focus on the "customer experience" (i.e. not getting driven around in an old-rear end Ford Crown Vic) like Uber does. The old cab companies barely made thin profit margins because they didn't give a poo poo about customer experience and just cut costs as much as possible.

Uber doesn't do any of this poo poo. They don't own any cars and none of the drivers work for them. There are a poo poo load of valid criticisms about the gig economy but Uber's not a real cab company.

Also apropos for this thread I just bought a year's subscription to The Athletic and really like it so far.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Uber's losing money because it's expanding like crazy and blowing billions in autonomous vehicles while a shitload of companies that are well funded are trying to aggressively compete against them (Lyft, Via, Juno, Didi, Ola). The Athletic is like spending money on hiring a few dozen sports writers that come pretty cheaply. Margin costs of expanding to new cities/sports right now is incredibly low and there's no real competition for The Athletic.

Why the gently caress are people trying to compare The Athletic to Uber when it's more like the digital versions of the Times/WaPo/WSJ which are all doing very well right now. Do people somehow think sportswriters get paid a lot????

Each new Uber rider costs the company money. Meanwhile each new Athletic subscriber is almost entirely profit

Adun fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Mar 6, 2018

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
I mean they literally just raised $20 million. Think it’s going to be pretty hard for them to go out of business in a year.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Mahoning posted:

I think that advantage is "Sure, maybe that new shiny boat over there will sink eventually, but the one I'm on right now is already half under, and taking on more and more water every day."

But honestly, I think a huge plus for the writers is because the Athletic has no print edition, there are no deadlines for them to hit. You can see it in the writing too. Newspaper sportswriters typically have their story mostly written before the game is even over because they have a deadline to hit, and the writing suffers because of it.

Someone I know from college recently joined The Athletic to cover the Mets and the freedom to write better pieces was a big part of why he joined.

https://theathletic.com/245957/2018...r-the-athletic/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

uggy posted:

The athletic to me seems like sort of the end. If it goes under in a few years I imagine a lot of the writers they've brought in would leave the industry. Feels like we're just racing to the bottom.

I have nothing to back that up but this drastic hiring and leveraging of VC money feels like a change to the industry that won't last once the Athletic ends. Their payroll must be massive.

edit:

So they get paid to write a blog basically?

No