Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dadjokes
Feb 9, 2015
This page is the longest period in human history that Taylor Swift has not come up in a discussion that also involves Molly Lambert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dadjokes
Feb 9, 2015
It seemed long for a while everything that she wrote she would take a crazy detour to talk about Taylor Swift. Like Simmons and the Harden trade levels of just having to always talk about her.

dadjokes
Feb 9, 2015

Henchman of Santa posted:

We actually did at one point have a soccer team called the Detroit Rockers, so this would split the difference.

Did the Rockers become the neon/safari or was metro Detroit blessed with two indoor soccer teams in mid 90s?

Also I just realized that the vipers also probably got their name as a dodge tie in as well. All with better names then Detroit city fc. At least dcfc goes by le rouge which I think is a pretty good nickname.

dadjokes
Feb 9, 2015
The first and second years of DCFC games were a lot of fun I thought just because it did seem pretty chaotic and unorganized. But then it just got really out of hand with the you can only stand here if you’re a part of this group, need to know all the chants, etc. just let me smoke weed in the stands and heckle college kids. Double lol at the supporters groups meeting up in like Plymouth and then driving down before games who would then unironically chant City Till I Die for 90 straight minutes.

But I do think it’s pretty impressive what the team has been able to accomplish in such a short amount of time.

dadjokes
Feb 9, 2015
Has the quality of guest of PMT gone down with all of the lovely stories about Barstool? It always seemed like they had some pretty visible athletes and other media folks on a lot back when I listened to it about a year ago. Since the ESPN show it’s seems like there are more and more stories about how gross Barstool is overall, and I would think that at the very least some of the other media companies would have their people steer clear.

Also the excuses on PMT were getting thin and tiring then. I can’t imagine what they are like now.

dadjokes
Feb 9, 2015
I was talking to someone about newspapers the other day, and it kinda got me thinking - has there ever been a columnist/journalist/local sports personality that has made the jump to a front office or coaching job? It seems like some more stats focused writers have gotten gigs with teams, but thinking back to the traditional columnist or radio host have their been any? I'm not sure if Matt Millen counts because gently caress Matt Millen and also because he was a former player and not just a sports caster.

I vaguely remember hearing that Bill Simmons was up for the Timberwolves job at some point, and I would like to think some NHL owner in the 60s or 70s after getting criticized for a while said "You do it then jackass", but sort of drawing a blank otherwise. Slight caveat here is keeping it to North America as I've heard stories in Brazil and Italy of journalists being named soccer managers.

dadjokes
Feb 9, 2015
The more stats focused writers get in with some frequency and that makes a ton of sense, and I knew that it happens with more regularity. I just specifically remember how much Mitch Album seemed to position himself as the be all know all of sports in Detroit, and how all the teams wanted to know his opinion/get his blessing before making a move. I get the self aggrandizing is off the charts with him and I would think that its probably similar for writers of his stature and time frame.

At first I was thinking it was odd that it doesn't happen more considering the contact and crossover in a relatively small sphere, but its probably not that different from thinking why aren't people clamoring for the NYT editorial board to run for political office/department appointments. And no one but people who are on the NYT editorial board would ever think thats a good idea.

Simmons being a GM would just be further conformation of hell world, but the idea that at every away game on the video screen they played the billionaires should pay for their own loving stadium clip would almost be worth it.

dadjokes
Feb 9, 2015
Has anyone done a which ringer employee is this character from the wire article but it only uses the white characters from the show joke yet?

dadjokes
Feb 9, 2015
I don’t understand anything anymore.

dadjokes
Feb 9, 2015

gloom posted:

Josh Hawley is super fash, for perspective. It's pretty telling that he's praising Whitlock. God, Whitlock is so terrible. He and Breer are my two least favorite sports media types. Guaranteed terrible takes every time, just complete knobs, and enablers of the worst sort.

Oh I get that Whitlock is trash. I just meant more everything in general. Imagine being anyone, let a lone a public figure, and being like Hitler really made a good point here and people got to know about it.

I saw a story about the Ivys shutting down football (I think it was all fall sports), and people were going off. But this is after a lot of big time programs said they were already having Covid issues, an MLS team just pulled out of their tournament, etc and it was just people saying lol look these pussy liberals.

dadjokes
Feb 9, 2015
I just don't understand where or how Simmons as a voice fits in the current media landscape. While I don't listen or watch SAS or Skip I can appreciate their art of trolling and takes. I also understand the sort of right wing/conservative local media sphere where I think there is an inherent ceiling to the potential audience for some one to gain a following as a big fish in a small pond kind of way. But who is the audience for Bill? Is it just an inertia thing?

I get that at one point he may have been ground breaking and I do think that he has/had a great eye for talent (I really enjoyed Grantland but checked out on the Ringer a few years ago) but who in 2021 is looking for a coded reference to sidenote 80's rockband?

dadjokes
Feb 9, 2015

Dexo posted:

Lol rip

It’s not great.

What I don’t understand is why not keep the full price ad free and the cut rate ad supported? My subscription was up 9/28 so I’m not burned but I would be beyond pissed if I had just started a new yearly cycle and they did this.

dadjokes
Feb 9, 2015
When I cancelled my Athletic subscription the before you go banner was still promising an ad free experience. Glad to see they are keeping it seamless and unobtrusive or however they worded it.

Have any numbers released since NYT bought them out?

dadjokes
Feb 9, 2015
Haisley has to be a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dadjokes
Feb 9, 2015

General Dog posted:

When you write things that you know will be poorly received by the reader, does it make you brave or just a jackass? I’ll leave that one to the philosophers

This phrase is written in cursive on the walls of The Just Asking Questions Dojo.

Normally I just sort of skip over his articles, but he fell back immediately on if you disagree you must be a tech bro racist that maybe made it feel like bad attempt at humor. Like the bit is he’s a dumb American soccer fan kinda thing and years ago it was funny because who cares about soccer and now it’s ok because they have actual good soccer writers on staff. He’s been dire for years and it just doesn’t make sense.