Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Huego
Mar 12, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Aggro posted:

I mean, the staff of Defector cover women’s sports have historically covered them at a far greater clip than their contemporaries than, well, every sports site in history. So, I have the utmost confidence that they will. Giri will have many words about the US Open tomorrow.

For anything more, you’d probably need a site that only covers women’s sports.

Aggro posted:

Why would they do that? The NFL is a media behemoth that towers in popularity over every other major league in the United States. Magary is one of the site’s biggest draws, and he is primarily a football writer. The NFL just had its season-opening weekend, and many of the games were very good. They want to attract readers and keep them engaged...why not write about football?

I love that Defector can cover major sports and also have an article or two a day on less popular sports. I also enjoy the occasional long form on a sport that I couldn’t care less about (snooker, darts, rugby sevens, cornhole, whatever).

If there was a strong enough demand for an all-obscure sports or all-women’s sports blog, I’m sure it would exist.

Women are 51% of the population and you talk about them like they're some weird niche pizza topping people would only resort to after they'd gotten bored of pineapple and corn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huego
Mar 12, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

morestuff posted:

I hope they cover women's sports more often but this is real bad logic. If 51% of the population cared about the WNBA they'd be covered everywhere

for as we know, everyone is born with an innate list of hobbies, and marketing and media have absolutely no influence whatsoever. oh, how I would love to watch baseball, but sadly I was born a horseshoes-thrower and I'll die a horseshoes-thrower.

anyone else about to hitch up their cargo jorts and chide me that the way the world Is is the way it has Always Been and always Must Be can spare me. it's not natural to consider half the population an afterthought. that's a state of affairs that's been built and actively maintained by people like Aggro and you.

Huego
Mar 12, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

General Dog posted:

Defector’s primary purpose is to sell subscriptions. If they have quality writing about more niche sports and that stuff finds an audience, then great, but it’s not their job or the best use of their resources to go out of the way to create increased interest in other sports.

They have a finite number of writers with a finite number of hours in the day, priority number 1 is always going to be getting clicks.

Oh so, if I get you right, this is just the way things Are and therefore the way they Must Be.

Huego
Mar 12, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AsInHowe posted:

If the WNBA commanded as much attention as the NFL, it would be a better use of resources. But it isn't.

Oh so, if I get you right, this is just the way things Are and therefore the way they Must Be.

Huego
Mar 12, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

General Dog posted:

Defector does not have the means to unilaterally change how It Is, and to be viable under the correct subscription model must cater its coverage accordingly.

Huego
Mar 12, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Declan MacManus posted:

i think it’s okay to hold a thing that you are a direct subscriber and supporter of to a higher standard, especially considering that they have their own editorial standards and aren’t beholden to anyone except for (wait for it) the subscribers

so if you don’t want to subscribe to it because it doesn’t have enough women’s sports coverage, that’s valid. you can choose to subscribe later if they add more or not at all if they don’t. you are not ethically required to foot the bill for defector if you’re not happy with it, and it’s okay to express dissatisfaction with it given their high number of women on staff

One more point on this, and I'm not calling you out for it because your points here are good. I just want you guys to realize the way that you think.

This is the Defector masthead: https://defector.com/masthead/

There are five women on staff. Out of nineteen. That is not a "high number of women on staff." A "high number" would be more than half, i.e. disproportionate to the population. Defector has a high number of men on staff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huego
Mar 12, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Declan MacManus posted:

yeah, that’s fair. the bar is extremely low for sportswriters where 25% of a staff registers as good, either consciously or subconsciously and that’s a bias that i should work on

Thanks, that's really all I ask. Here's that excellent gymnastics article from the other day for anyone interested: https://defector.com/the-greatest-clusterfuck-in-womens-gymnastics-history-two-decades-later/

And while looking for it I spotted half a dozen other articles I wanted to read, so on the whole I'm still getting my eight bucks' worth from Defector even though IDGAF about football. Great sports writing can make a sport interesting and even create new fans, and I do believe Defector will do that for a lot of women's sports even though they got a slow start.