Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

adsfffyoao

Vertical Lime posted:

[...] Colin Cowherd [...] Two and a Half Men [...]

Worst thing in human history

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

adsfffyoao

There has GOT to be someone better than Denis Leary to associate with Boston. Even for Boston he's an insufferable rear end in a top hat

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

adsfffyoao

I laughed a lot harder at the ridiculously long pause at the end, before I realized they just paused the DVR

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

adsfffyoao

Holocausplay posted:

Deadspin should publish both names. There is a direct equivalency between someone from the internet sharing the name of someone they saw on television and someone who made a huge sign about the people in her personal life with the intention of sharing it with 70,000 people and catching the eyes of broadcast television cameras beamed nationally to over 10 million others. Deadspin's gender politics are nauseating. If this girl has told us anything, it's that her personal life is nobody's business.

Making a humorous sign is not remotely an invitation to be harassed online/offline/anywhere, and if you can think of a single legitimate reason to provide her identity beyond that, I will paypal you 14 dollars and 88 cents.

edit: I spent 6 minutes writing and erasing further comments and got beaten to my main point, but my offer stands

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

adsfffyoao

Holocausplay posted:

lo, though they may not post alongside the denizens of SAS or share the rarified tastes of a Bob Costas, there are thousands of squalid, rutting proles in these United States who were curious about that memorable sign; they will click on even the most fleeting and insignificant information about it, and those clicks create money, which can be used to obtain goods and services. It's crass and materialistic and of almost zero informational substance, but if we wanted to put a stop to that, that would be another reason to shut down the entire internet, dynamite every local news station, set fire to every Features desk in America, remove the infographic as a phenomenon, end the national nightly news ten minutes earlier, get rid of cable news entirely, and on and on.

This is a very, very spurious definition of "legitimate" and your own wording appropriately reflects that. I think we all knew the `reason` they did it was for pageviews and ad money and what have you, but if you're going to invoke a righteous "they did nothing morally wrong" sort of response, there should really be some address whatever of morality besides a slippery slope argument of "this is all the internet is anyway."

(That said I will freely admit to wishing to violently destroy cable news and I still like Mr. Destructo enough to donate approx. 15 dolers to it if need be)

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

adsfffyoao

I was thinking more along the lines of "reflecting journalistic integrity" than "pragmatic/advantageous" in my use of "legitimate" but admittedly that can be a loaded term. I'm sure it helps their bottom line to do this sort of thing and I don't begrudge them for that any more than I do their audience, but that doesn't stop me from wishing the audience and their source would both dry up and die, or move on to work that isn't sensationalist and actually has work put into it and means something.

stimpy posted:

I don't see any pressing reason for them to have released her name or anything, but why is everyone assuming that it was done for misogynistic reasons rather than just hoping that someone out there had some insight into what was probably a pretty interesting backstory?

I disagree that there's much of a story to be mined from this; if anyone did have any insight into the inner workings of the relationship, they surely wouldn't need a name and link to someone they presumably already knew. The specific misogyny aspect is more from reputation / the internet in general, but I get the feeling that if the person holding the sign was not a young female it would have attracted substantially less attention than it has vv

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

adsfffyoao

Louise Meanwell sounds like a fake name from Arrested Development. This is my only contribution to this discussion

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

adsfffyoao

Am I reading that Cameron quote wrong or is his point that the Orioles haven't moved up, despite how easy it is to find analytically-minded FO people that could help them?

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

adsfffyoao

Benne posted:

E: the Red Sox having pennants in its logo is the most Red Sox thing ever.

Good call on having the logo for "Over the Monster" not feature the monster in any way :I

As far as stylistic consistency goes though a lot of these are just fine, kind of impressive considering the sheer volume of 'em

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

adsfffyoao

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Dude made more than $100,000 a year at Gawker

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

adsfffyoao

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Do you like running? Yes? No? Whatever. Just read this piece and get back to me.

Loved this, thanks for posting it.

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

adsfffyoao

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Grantland may well have brought us the finest in Sports Journalism for 2013. Truly a tale for the ages.

This is absolutely phenomenal.

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

adsfffyoao

Emanuel Collective posted:

Do you think that Adrian Peterson is to blame for his son's brutal, unthinkable murder? Because he got a speeding ticket and stuck around in a club too long? Because he had a child out of wedlock? Because Peterson's own father was a criminal? No? Well Phil Mushnick is here to blow your mind:

http://nypost.com/2013/10/13/sons-d...m=SFnewyorkpost

Having never heard of this guy, I think you folks that said you stopped reading him with a mild "oh he's crotchety and trolly" dismissal should at least upgrade your dismissal to "this dude is a real piece of poo poo", because man is that a creepy, awful hit piece.

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

adsfffyoao

That actually seems like a reasonable, honestly apologetic response. Maybe it's the magic of lowered expectations from Simmons but I'm pleasantly surprised by the amount of thought put into what they did wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

adsfffyoao

If you think that's a contender, you've got another think coming.