Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
A portion of my job involves a lot downtime in a place with a lot of websites blocked so it's pretty much read whatever is on Yahoo Sports then on to ESPN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

swizz posted:

Sports radio is ignorant and toxic as a general rule, though of the the last two places I've lived, DC sports radio can't hold a candle to Raleigh sports radio in terms of complete bitchiness and shitiness

I think the fact that DC Sports radio pretty much talks about the Redskins and only the Redskins causes that bitterness to be distilled over the course of a season.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
The only thing I like about Around the Horn is that ESPN basically spends 23 1/2 hours trying to make sure every sport is covered by either ex-athletes, hip sideline reporters, or slick news anchor types and then for a half hour a day they have this weird show centered around grizzled old sports writers who look like they skipped makeup.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

MourningView posted:

what if you want to go south, huh, smart guy???

Like half their programing now is devoted to sports writers yelling at each other though? PTI was really good when it started (and still might be, I haven't been able to watch it in forever) but it has completely ruined the network.

Maybe I didn't phrase that right, but I think there's a level of polish to the rest of their product that doesn't exist in Around the Horn.

While we're doing Onion sportcenter parodies: Kobe unveils a new personality

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

joshtothemaxx posted:

Laughing out loud at the font.

Yeah, I only saw the long shot previously, that's a much better joke when you can tell what the font is.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Wouldn't be a suspension if he said it about David Stern, because you need to find a body to suspend it.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
It's been much easier for me, person who can't stand Lowe, to ignore him since he moved to ESPN.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I swear I've seen video of non-US basketball being played in courts surrounded with hockey-style glass but this was in the 90s so maybe that went away.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I was watching MNF while playing an online video game and made a crack about Berman and got yelled at so yeah.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Yeah, and everyone expected the Clippers to get a mega media contract, but it didn't come, and it looks like it's not going to come now (they ended up just sticking with the services they were on previously). Which is interesting because at least a portion of the value of the team was assumed to be a local TV contract everyone assumed they'd get.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I thought she was good on Inside but had no idea she did apparently a lot more.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
There is so much insufferable Boston Idiocy in the Simmons/Nolan convo that conversation but it's also charming in a way.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
NBA discussion is so bad that unfortunately dumbfuck Bill Simmons is one of the best voices on the subject.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

oh yeah that same store + it's sister stores have racks of football/cheerleading/field hockey/etc. varsity jackets from the 80s-00s and it's vaguely creepy to me to imagine walking around in someone's high school jacket that says JEREMY 02 03 04 05 on it

The hipster in me thinks it would be cool.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

This is almost art.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
The name Mike North is really familiar, did he ever get pranked by Don & Mike or something like that?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Toilet Mouth posted:

I just can't see that many people watching his show given how poorly rated the Grantland specials on ESPN were, but I guess HBO cares just as much about generating buzz as getting ratings, which I'm sure this will do.

While I'm not immune to Katie Nolan's charms, he's not totally wrong.

HBO needs a lot fewer people to watch something than ESPN to be successful (which is good because not a lot of people actually watch HBO on a regular basis). The network also has problem with lack of content that even throwing a lot of money at hasn't exactly solved. Throw in that they've always wanted to be taken seriously as a sports outlet and it all sort of goes together.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

joepinetree posted:

That wasn't my point. In fact, I am legitimately curious about how the ringer will do financially. My point is that the argument that he does not need the "mothership" isn't supported by evidence, even when using the stuff he is best at. So my point was really that 1- the longer he's been away from ESPN the more his podcast rankings fall and 2- even if his podcasts were doing really well, podcast is an ultra small, ultra niche medium where even the juggernauts of the field don't make much money off of it.

The problem with making money on a podcast is fitting the business model with both the show and the audience. Simmons has a sports radio audience, which is generally more tolerant of advertising, and he gets ""real"" radio ads that are paying outright for the spot, rather than him plugging some sort of affiliate marketing. He would probably have to hustle a more (more shows, more regularly) if the HBO check wasn't coming in, but he could absolutely make it a sustainable, even profitable venture with his name and audience.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

It's cool that they're basically admitting their tactic was to run him out of money and funny that it didn't work because someone else bankrolled him and they're complaining about it.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
The Lakers SBNation place started out ok but the place really went downhill fast, and it only took one bad writer and one bad moderator and the place was Lakersground 2.0.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Marquis de Pyro posted:

The ratings were also way down despite being live which was supposedly going to be a big help.

I assume that's more because most people don't give a poo poo about 99% of the olympics and now in the modern world you can just pick and choose what you want to see online rather than 'the olympics were a disaster' but that still seems bad for them.

Well, they still used tape delay for major events and only had live events on network TV in EST and tape delayed it everywhere else. I think whether an event is live or not doesn't make a huge impact, but I do think splitting things over time zones hurt. You can't translate social media buzz to ratings if your are asking people to wait three hours to see what people are tweeting about.

I don't by any means think that was the only reason ratings were down, and you're probably right about the on demand stuff. It does seem like none of the storylines they were going for really caught on, other than Ledecky and Simone.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Real Sports has gotten stale, maybe giving Simmons a segment on that would be beneficial.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I don't hate his podcast, but I also only listen if it's NBA related. I used to listen to him and Sal to try and get an idea what was still going on in the NFL last year even though I wasn't watching games but their opinions just seemed to not play out in the actual games, and also I just accepted I don't care about pro football anymore and it's fine to not know what the gently caress is happening.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I disliked Grantland as a whole but Adam Sharp has been great since moving to SI. I feel like as a whole SI benefited the most from Grantland going down.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Cool Buff Man posted:

The fact is that people here take his weirdo words and pretend to get upset at how dumb they are and then they immediately turn around and start using his classification system to rate players for the next 5 pages. You've all been rused

Bill Simmons's dumb theories are constantly taken seriously the second either another poster or Zach Lowe says them without openly quoting him.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
The fundamental idea that the trade deadline is gonna be crazy is not a bad one but that article is full of a lot of stupid poo poo.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Kibner posted:

I tend to do that at times, but I try to go back and read my posts before I submit and rewrite those parts or just take them out if they aren't important enough. It's hard, sometimes!

I leave mine in because it makes me cool.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Woj is awful and I'm glad he is gone so I can unreservedly embrace Yahoo Sports in its last days.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Niwrad posted:

I'd be interested to see if they tell him not to tweet out the picks beforehand.

On the other hand, he should help their draft coverage immensely. He'd report a trade for picks that ESPN wouldn't pick up on for another hour. So ESPN looks like idiots talking about how some guy will fit in with a team that he's already been traded from.

He actually didn't do that last year anyway, Shams Charania was doing it and he was just retweeting him. That was also when Yahoo was really trying to heavily push the Vertical and other staff there, which is kind of dead in the water now.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I could imagine them working together on another film at least.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

This is pretty wonderful.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Henchman of Santa posted:

Hey remember how Royce Young's wife was carrying a baby with no frontal lobe to term in order to donate the organs?
https://medium.com/@royceyoung/we-spent-months-bracing-and-preparing-for-the-death-of-our-daughter-79f357dd254d

This is a heartbreaking conclusion to that story, but with an almost uplifting end.

Ahhhhhhh. That's rough, but I'm glad I read until the end.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Stein is really really good, the best of the marquee NBA reporters in my opinion. I bet he'll land on his feet.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Chad Ford is pretty clueless about what's happening in the actual NBA which makes some of his projections ridiculous (like seriously taking a minute to go over to realgm.com or something and see who teams have on their roster and who will be a free agent would make a world's of difference), he does have an ear to many franchises, which no one else who projects the draft can really claim.

I think the Draftexpress at this point is doing a better job than him just because they seem to have done a nice job of ranking the BPAs in order and in the end most teams aren't going to stray too far from that no matter what posture they take before the draft but still it's nice to have Ford's perspective of what teams are thinking.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Another Vertical guy was the one with all the scoop tweets last year. Of course it's possible Woj just had him do that to grow the brand or whatever.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

sportsgenius86 posted:

SI is joining the lay off party.

Seth Davis was let go. More names coming soon.

Ah man SI is like my sports coverage lifeline. I'm praying for the Open Floor guys.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I will go to the Ringer before I go to ESPN, if I'm stuck somewhere that I can't do anything but read internet articles about things. It used to be Yahoo first, rest in loving peace.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

He's one of my faves, and the reason why Yahoo is the place I went to first when I wanted to read about sports and couldn't get to forums for some reason.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
MTV is so good at finding and recruiting talent and then losing that talent in their biennial direction change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

exploded mummy posted:

Dave Meltzer's (longtime MMA and wrestling writer) father passed away because of pancreatic cancer today.

That sucks )=