Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
Reading that, I got this strange feeling it was some avant-garde piece about how people that intentionally don't understand baseball stats seem really stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

Coincidentally, you'll also feel like you've payed too much for what comes in the box, and regret it afterwards.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

Have one weekend where it's a Brewers game and see if Uecker actually sticks around the booth for the entire game.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

morestuff posted:

Bullshit slide shows don't really bother me unless it's the only thing a site provides or if a story is shoehorned into the format. It's just like the horoscopes or comic strips; it's popular and provides some money for actual reportage, and it's easy enough to ignore. The Detroit News at least seems to be aware of how skeezy a WAG list is, since they're promising a Husbands, Athletes and Boyfriends follow-up.

I guess if any American city is making a HABs list, it's Hockeytown.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

BasicFunk posted:

Well at least the end of the article was something nice to imagine...

He stops writing?

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

The best part is someone comparing Ray Rice to Fred Flinstone, and someone else sticks up for Fred.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

ElwoodCuse posted:

What's the in-joke behind telling Adam Schefter "my wife left me"? When I google it I just get a ton of tweets where people do it.

Are they all from the same time frame? I know the Solid Verbal podcast will occasionally have people tweet some sports personality something random.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

Cruel and Unusual posted:

The coolest thing Nate Silver ever did was using Benford's Law to prove that Strategic Vision's polls were fraudulent. They are out of the polling business now.

Benford's law just deserves more publicity period.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

skaboomizzy posted:

I enjoy Spencer Hall as a goon-ish commentator on the bullshit of college football. He's fun on Twitter and I think he's funny because the entire enterprise of the NCAA is just ridiculous.

I am not sure how he got to be an Executive Editor or whatever his grand-poobah title is at SBNation based on anything he's written. I think I read a thing where he went to Burma and watched a few days of an artistic hackey-sack festival (?) that wasn't terrible.

You are in luck.
Broke.
The Big Country.
The Business of Protection which I should not have reread oh god every time it gets me.
An Interview with Luther Campbell.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

That's not even in the top 10 worst Micheal Jackson crotch-grabbings.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

UT-Martin makes significantly more money playing at Kentucky then they would hosting Kentucky. And those patsies can still win, like say an eventual 3 conference win in the Summit League team ruins the 2015 National Runner-Up banner raising maybe.
No wait, NJIT over Michigan. I like that one better.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

Before you click on this link, guess how 538 described Manu Ginobli in the title of a career reflection on him.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

https://twitter.com/MattSBN/status/880266569116418049

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

(pushes thread off a bridge)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cDLpP5SIZI

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

I went to a Phillies game at Miller Park with a couple friends, one of who is a die-hard Philadelphia fan. Our seats were a few rows behind the away dugout, and after about the 4th inning my buddy gets the ball from the 3rd out tossed to him. He basically says 'Oh, that's really cool' before he gives it to one of the kids sitting behind him. His mom buys my friend a beer. Everyone wins!

This is the correct way to act if you are a grown person that gets a ball at a game.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

"How Clay Travis rode the Trump wave from ordinary sports blogger to well-paid darling of the alt-right"

Interesting thru-line of how easy, cheap clickbait about sports turned into politics for Clay Travis.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

Link to the NYTimes piece on the Athletic.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

Another city looks like they're refusing to finance a new stadium via public funds.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Aside from his obvious unlikability, is he an NBA quality player?

Given how hated he is as a Duke grad and the amount of talent he possesses scouts project him as more of an NBA owner.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

I remember a small part of the reason I attended UW-Madison is because The Onion started there. I could pick up free copies just about anywhere on campus. More than any other media layoff, this strikes me as deeply upsetting and I regret not starting the massive, multi-state riot.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

Part 2 of 'Fighting In The Age of Lonliness' is up and man, that's a hell of a twist ending for this one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fkd6xumhVms

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

Vertical Lime posted:

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1158019191414370306

i'm sure they're not gonna get in trouble over this

"Hey, I finally beat Woj to something" - millions of people

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

Is Luka Donicic The NBA's Next Rapidash?

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

PotatoJudge posted:

Jon Bois has a new podcast! He covers a topic near and dear to all of our hearts:

https://twitter.com/jon_bois/status/1228076546474356736

I watched about 30 seconds in full screen.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

algebra testes posted:

I know we can't really lionize SB Nation rightnow, I mean, who the gently caress Furloughs the Shutdown Fullcast.

The last episode features some of the worst audio in the long, storied history, as well as a excellent indicator of what kind of people would furlough the Shutdown Fullcast. Pointing at the one guy everyone in the incredibly regional field of college football knows and saying "I don't know who that is" to the college football writers you're putting out of work is going to be someone's MBA capstone paper, and not in the good way like what you want.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

Mukaikubo posted:

I'm still in denial and telling myself the Fullcast and PAPN will come back someday rather than that group of people splitting off to the four winds, and that's probably the only way I'm going to be able to get through this 2 hour podcast series finale. loving Vox. :(

edit: Wait *what* is that "I don't know who that is" anecdote?! I missed that

As an argument about the Shutdown Fullcast being too insular and hard to get into, someone on the Vox corporate side of the table said "I don't know who that is" when he pointed to a picture of Nick Saban. I think it's around the 20 minute mark.

edit: Nanni found the picture, and knowing that it was in reference to promoting a show in Alabama makes it some just perfect "gently caress you."
https://twitter.com/celebrityhottub/status/1252958423668461568

Also, if that Lost in Translation reference is perfect.

Coco13 fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Apr 22, 2020

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

Anyone else so white they don't feel comfortable sharing that tweet?

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

MourningView posted:

It's definitely coming back, they have all been dropping hints about it on Twitter for weeks now. Just a matter of where. Wonder if Holly and Ryan's sbnation contracts are up soon?

I mean, if I didn’t have a steady job, but had the email addresses of a bunch of people that just paid me and my friends for a story that was only described as “college football Western” I’d probably figure out how to make that my steady job.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

“Do I need another coffee mug? Absolutely not.” - my thoughts before I saw a Fumble Dimension coffee mug.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

Henchman of Santa posted:

Hockey conferences are a loving trip.

I legit miss the WCHA more than expected.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

Fridays at 5 Central the Defector crew plays trivia where someone on staff comes up with 10 categories, 5 questions each. I should start making it my switch to go full weekend mode, because it’s pretty drat delightful. Categories from yesterday I can remember are “Let’s remember some Guys” (famous people named Guy) and “stick to sports” where the clue is a Defector article, and the answer is the most popular comment given as a pun on “stick to sports.”

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

The Milwaukee Brewers will never not play home games at Miller Park.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

The Sports Journalism Tumblr: hey Elon, that's great

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

As someone who isn't on Twitter anymore, I don't know how long that's been Pablo's name but it is loving phenomenal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

"We made major negotiating headway when we brought up the second season of The Wire."