Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
yeah but I as a white man agree so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

If my choices are

a) Trump blows us up before midterms

OR

b) continuing to live on a planet wherein Mike Pence runs the US for two years with a Republican Congress and Supreme Court

then I'm going to learn to love the loving bomb

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

DJExile posted:

Jesus christ they really cannot let gawker go can they?

Deadspin still has some decent coverage from time to time but you really have to look for it and sort through all the advertising posts, shared posts from the other sites, and all the whining gawker 2.0 posts on concourse

I still really like Deadspin but yeah

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Adun posted:

Respect to Dan LeBatard

Am I wrong for unabashedly liking Le Batard? I feel like doing so is a thing that might blacklist me from being allowed to have an intelligent opinion on sports journalism, but I've always found his takes, hot and tepid, to at least be somewhat refreshing, and the fact that Bomani Jones likes him is good enough for me

e: he's also a pretty solid Twitter troll

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Adun posted:

Plus Highly Question is pretty entertaining

His father is a goddamn national treasure

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

imo Le Batard is the Doug Stanhope of ESPN personalities in the sense that people blame him for loving up a once good show because they fail to realize that it was already circling the drain. And also that his strengths are not the things that the network actually wants him to do.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

DJExile posted:

BRUH

BRUH CHECK OUT THE TITTIES ON THIS TALENT

BRUH COME ON, LOOK. WHAT ARE YOU, A FAG OR SOMETHING?

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

loving christ

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

I actually really liked Rapaport on Hot Ones so now I'm confused

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

That's also a dumb idea because drafts are important for parity (even though they are terrible from a labor standpoint). The real way to stop tanking is to make the order determined by a three year aggregate record because not many teams are going to have the balls (idiocy?) to do what the 76ers did and there's no guarantee that when you finally are bad enough over 3 years to get #1 overall, that it'll be a good draft.

The real issue with tanking is people complaining about tanking. It's a legitimate strategy, bad teams need good young played to get good, it's not rocket science and there's nothing wrong with it. lovely owners, dumb GMs and nepotism are the actual culprits for subpar products and doing anything to curtail tanking is purely symptom treating

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

DJExile posted:

The most Unicorn NBA Box Score And How It Relates To "The Wire"

Empty quoting the poo poo out of this

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

jesus loving christ that is hilarious, infuriating, and sad

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Lockback posted:

Related, a 5 year old tweet I've looked at and laughed at like 45 times.

https://twitter.com/david_j_roth/status/212767135901024256?lang=en

I'm on the subway loving giggling like a moron

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Atmosphere owns.

I agree Southsiders is a very good album

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

There's actually a really good Jon Bois video that basically proves that the 3 point shot is more or less ineffectual, but as long as it's a thing, you'd probably be dumb not to take advantage of it as much as possible (which I think all data currently suggests)

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhB1vPM8ItA

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

MourningView posted:

Yeah that's why they give you a whole extra point for doing it. And they actually don't go in that much less often that long or mid range 2 point jumpers, which you notably do not get an extra point for.

e: also I have no idea how you took "3 pointers are ineffectual" from that Jon Bois video

Maybe ineffectual is the wrong word if you want to argue semantics, but I think that the conclusion is pretty apparent that whether there is a three point line or not wouldn't change the frequency of longer range shots, the frequency with which those shots are made, or which teams are better than the others. That says nothing of the fact that as long as there is a three point line, you're dumb to ignore the benefits of talking advantage of it.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

milk milk lemonade posted:

Okay that's nowhere close to correct tho. The math on attempting 3 pointers makes it a higher value shot than a 2 pointer. Working to get open for that shot has changed the complexion of modern offenses. It would not even sort of be the same game without it - there would be no reason to space the court like they do now.

If it's arguably harder to defend the further from the basket (blocks by distance from the rim is used in the video, which doesn't tell the whole story, but isn't negligible), and shots from 2 feet, and 26 feet have roughly the same chance of going in, how would there being no three point line drastically alter the spacing on the floor? Teams are still going to shoot from outside when they know they can make it, they're not going to bunch themselves in all the much tighter to the rim and make it harder on themselves to move the ball. It doesn't seem like a stretch to think the game would've evolved similarly regardless as players got bigger and harder to beat in close defensively while also getting better at shooting from distance. Seems more that the 3 point line was a catalyst as opposed to the outright cause.

e: I think the real interesting thing though, is that evolution would've taken likely a good amount of time longer had there never been a three point line, so all of that data about shot distances, wouldn't be nearly as complete. Teams would've gradually expanded the range of the floor rather than just jumping to a perimeter-or-in-close shot selection over the matter of a few years

CharlestheHammer posted:

It sounds like you mean the exact opposite of ineffectual. Which is not semantics at all.

focusing on the definition of a misused word in place of the larger point is exactly what a semantics argument is so please join the convo or don't try to son me tia

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Jun 12, 2017

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Maybe 2ft is too close, but according to Bois' stats, it appears that the further you get from the basket, until you get way out deep, seems to plateau at ~37-40% regardless of distance. The thing that could really alter the stats, is because of the 3pt line, half of shots he recorded are either from right under the basket or beyond the arc, so they have much more sample size than shots of each increment from, say, 5-22ft, and if there were no 3pt line, that shot distribution would likely skew closer to the basket and I'd bet that ~40% from ~10ft would likely go up a bit as those shots would get taken a little more frequently

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jun 12, 2017

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

You larger point completely changes depending on what word you mean.

I am joining the convo, be better at English so I can actually argue with you.

Because at this point I don't actually think you know what your arguing.

be gooder at english so that I may fight you on the internet

- an idiot

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

[INTERIOR: An undercover police patrol car. Partners of 10 years, Simmons and McManus, sit in silence while driving down an empty road at 2 am

MCMANUS [abruptly, breaking the silence]: You know I worry about you.

SIMMONS: Worrying never got anyone anywhere, Pete.

MCMANUS: It's just....you seem a little reckless lately. Tensions are high out there right now after the riots, I don't want you to be caught in a bad sit-

SIMMONS [interrupting]: How loving long have I been doing this, man? Don't give me that poo poo, I know what I'm doing.

MCMANUS [timidly]: Well, ever since Jess...

SIMMONS [angrily]: I TOLD YOU NEVER TO SAY HER loving NAME AGAIN!

MCMANUS: Jesus, Roger.... I'm sorry, okay?

SIMMONS stares straight ahead, not acknowledging the apology. He grabs the wheel suddenly with his free right hand, swings the car around abruptly, and makes a U-turn across the double yellow line painted on the road. A lone car traveling toward them slams on the brakes and jumps the sidewalk to avoid crashing

MCNANUS [startled]: FOR gently caress'S SAKE, ROG.

SIMMONS [laughing]: That never fuckin' gets old, I swear.

MCMANUS: You're seriously loving damaged, Rog, you know that? I swear to Christ, if this job don't kill you, I loving will.

SIMMONS: Whenever you want, buddy. I won't stop ya.

[INTERIOR: The sedan on the curb, left behind as the officers speed away in their car]

DRIVER [out his open window]: ARE YOU loving KIDDING ME? I'M GOING TO loving KILL YOU rear end in a top hat!

THE DRIVER steers the sedan back into the street, and begins following the undercover car. He reaches for his cell phone and begins dialing.

DRIVER: Yo, J, I'm trailing these two fucks just ran me off the road. I'm following them down Magnolia right now, about four or five miles from the warehouse. Get everyone in cars and ready to roll in 5, I want these fuckers dead.

[INTERIOR: Undercover patrol car, MCMANUS and SIMMONS are mid-argument]

SIMMONS: BECAUSE I DON'T loving WANT TO, PETE, OKAY?

MCMANUS: I still think you should call her. I'm sure she's forgiven you by now. You know Kate and I saw her the other day and-

SIMMONS: Wait, you saw her? What does that mean? You were in the supermarket and she was shopping? Or she was driving down the street and you saw her while you were walking down the street?  What does "saw her" mean?

MCMANUS: Come on, Rog. Kate and I have known her for 12 years, you don't think we still talk? That we don't see each other?

SIMMONS: Christ, Pete. Are you making GBS threads me with this? You loving talk to Jess? Behind my loving back?

MCMANUS: It's not behind your loving back Rog. She's our loving friend you rear end in a top hat. No wonder she-

SIMMONS [interrupting]: Don't you finish that loving senten..

Suddenly, the car from earlier bumps them from behind, the car jerks forward. A gunshot is fired and blows out the back window of the undercover car.

MCMANUS: WHAT THE gently caress?!

SIMMONS: Hang on, Pete.

SIMMONS speeds up, getting onto the bridge in front of them. Just as they are about to reach the halfway point of the bridge, two sets of headlights appear in the road ahead of them. SIMMONS slams the breaks and attempts a moving 180°, but the back left quarterpanel of the undercover car is rammed by the trailing sedan. The undercover car is sent careening over the guard rail of the bridge. The car falls 30 feet and crashes through the roof of an abandoned mental hospital.

[INTERIOR: Undercover car, upside down]

MCMANUS slowly regains consciousness. He is bleeding badly, he cannot move, his back and legs are broken

MCMANUS [coughing]: ...R...Rog?

MCMANUS rolls his eyes to his left, seeing his partner clearly dead with a broken neck.

MCMANUS [softly]: Aw gently caress, Rog..

MCMANUS A knows his time is also short. He tries to scan around to see where the car has landed, to get a better view of exactly where he'll spend his last moments. He looks through the windshield, as he draws his final breath:

MCMANUS: What...the..gently caress?

Camera pans around to MCMANUS' point of view. The viewer can see a deceased naked man, suspended from the rafters by a belt, bathed in the blue light of a computer screen, the word INEFFECTUAL repeatedly scrawled on the wall in human excrement.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

morestuff posted:

It's less a bubble popping and more the balloon slowly deflating out of journalism in general since the 90s

ESPN slowly killed spots journalism and Twitter pissed on its grave

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

morestuff posted:

In terms of the actual craft sports writing is probably in the best place it's ever been. It just sucks if you want to make a living.

Well, any craft will get better over time, but unless there's more long form, and less worrying about TAEKS, it'll be a travesty regardless of how good, talented, pure, and well compensated any specific person within the industry is

But that also operates on the assumption that people want to read long form, and that's where Twitter comes in..

euphronius posted:

Sports Podcasts are amazing right now

:shrug:

Podcasts aren't really journalism, but totally agree.

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jun 15, 2017

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

morestuff posted:

Not sure what era you had in mind but even a few decades ago your options were basically your local paper, SI, and a few other magazines. It's not like blowhard columnists were hard to find then, either.

Well now what I'm commenting on is that The Worldwide Leader made blowhards the standard in the early aughts when ATH and PTI really hit their stride and that shaped the industry. It's been only downhill from there.

I like to think there's a reason why Max Kellerman only covers boxing :v:

quote:

There's a lot more of everything since the internet lowered the barrier to entry, good and bad, but it's pretty easy to find what you want and ignore what you don't. In theory there might be fewer outlets with the deep pockets that can fund really in-depth reporting, but even in the publishing golden age there wasn't much of that in sports sections.

While that all may be true, that lowered "barrier for entry" has done just as much bad as good imho

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jun 15, 2017

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

morestuff posted:

I feel like both these are only true if you're ignoring all the good stuff out there and actively choosing to wallow in poo poo

I just feel that no matter how exceptional or prevalent the good poo poo out there is, it's not as close as it seems to dictating how the industry operates. There's a reason why ESPN and other outlets are dropping legitimate journalists but are still employing Stephen A

ESPN has been the Fox News of sports since Fox News was getting its feet wet and that kind of ~~~*content*~~~ ain't going away quietly

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jun 15, 2017

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Kibner posted:

Unless it tells a fantastic and entertaining story. Non-fiction short story, basically.

And there's plenty of brilliant writers out there brilliant enough to write them, but not everyone is lucky enough to be Drew Magary, who can save the fiction for novels, the longer form for a national print publication, and the taeks for a site that is that right beautiful mixture of insightful, talented, and an utter joke at the same wonderful moment in time

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

:stare:

quote:

Kollias says he believes none of this would have happened if the university had cracked down on Smith's earlier drug activities -- and if the Division III coaches he played for weren't so blinded by Smith's football talent. Kollias is especially outraged by how Dan Kyle, the assistant coach, bailed Smith out of jail. Kyle, head coach Scott Greene and university President Joel Seligman all declined repeated requests for an interview. Instead, a university spokeswoman emailed a statement. "Isaiah Smith was a student in good standing up until his arrest," she wrote, explaining that the university, as a Division III school, is not required to drug test its players. She added: "No member of the administration, nor any coaches or University athletics staff members asked Dan Kyle to sign for Smith's release. This was an unusual occurrence."

Kyle no longer works at the university.

ay yo gently caress sports peace

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

That is a terrible take, dinosaurs are still rad, and Megladons would be a terrible name for a professional sports team, especially if there were alliteration. That's like something you name a fake arena league football team in a movie

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

yeah man because it's not like jazz and magic didn't get old in the 80s

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

almost every team name is bad, they're mostly dumb animals that no one would ever be threatened by, when was the last time you feared for your life when attacked by an oriole

vvv e: i want you to think about the kind of jazz that was popular in the 80s and then not poo all over my joke tia

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jul 16, 2017

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

we haven't gone to the moon in like 45 years why aren't they the houston dust devils

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

ok fine the houston urban sprawlers

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Work Friend Keven posted:

The name "raptors" (two syllables , fits in the common animal team name scheme, strong emphasis on both syllables , has a nice cadence with Toronto, is an animal that "makes sense" for basketball ((fast, sleek, etc.))) is bad.

The good name that should replace it? Megalodon, a nineteen syllable word that nobody knows what the gently caress it is and sounds like your tongue is falling down stairs.

Work Friend Keven posted:

Mahoning: I've been looking into this whole Cleveland Indians thing and I've identified the issue and found a solution that will fix things. The team name should be changed to the Cleveland Crazy Horse Is A Mistranslation, A More Accurate Translation Would Be "His Horses Are Spirited" Meaning He Was A Good Trainers.

These are good posts

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

the toronto pachycephalosauruses it's super cool it's head is shaped like a basketball

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

toronto platnitzkysauruses, a cousin of the allosaurus, which in turn is a cousin of the t-rex; that would clearly resonate with the what-have-you-done-for-me-lately dinosaur-for-my-generation name appropriate crowd

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

Sports journalism will be dead by January at this rate

how can something that's already dead die again

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Dexo posted:

Eh. Deadspin is mostly good nowadays. They have their trash posts here and there, but like the actual reports, investigations and poo poo they do are almost all legit.

It's the Buzzfeed news thing. They need a way to pay for actual good reporting so they have a bunch of other mindless stuff to generate those sweet clicks.

Yeah but that mindless stuff on DS are screengrabber and Drew doing mailbags and YTS and all of those things fuckin own

e: https://twitter.com/Deadspin/status/882337198128807936

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Aug 3, 2017

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

The Pussy Boss posted:

I'm an extremely casual NBA fan, but the NBA fashion thread is one of my favorite threads on the whole forums

I'm a Wolves fan, and used to be a pretty big one in the early aughts, but it's because of KG and after 2004 it became very hard, physically and emotionally, to watch that team without him. I've gotten back into them over the last two years because they've gotten young and cool, but that said, I couldn't literally give a poo poo about the league and the other 29 teams.

All that said, the fashion thread was must read stuff for me

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

FuzzySkinner posted:

My stupid theory? As long as you can still serve beer at baseball games? Baseball will exist.

This is 100% true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

i for one am confident that the yankees should be remembered in history right alongside nazis

Adun posted:

Let's be honest pinstripes are pretty much modern day brownshirts

:yeah: