Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Bear in mind that the "dark time" that Claudia is referring to is when Dan Shaughnessy's young daughter had cancer, and Ted Williams went out of his way to visit with her and call her on the phone and basically do what he could to help. Seriously. Ted Williams, of all people, did that for Shaughnessy's kid despite his hatred of sportswriters. And yet reading that recent column of Dan's, he makes no mention whatsoever of it. Perhaps it's because he has some respect for the privacy of his own family? Difficult to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

So, Onion SportsDome is premiering tonight on Comedy Central at 10:30PM eastern time. God knows that sports journalism is ripe for (and very much deserving of) some clever satire, and given that the Onion sports articles and blurbs tend to be fairly amusing, I'm actually optimistic that this could be good.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I CHALLENGE THEE posted:

quick someone cash in on their kyoon griffey jr cock pictures

This really makes me worry about what's going to happen if I ever become famous, good god.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

so has anyone pm'd you a dickshot based on your av or not

Well, a couple goon-friends that I was already familiar with did so jokingly, but nobody other than them. It's a cool avatar though, it produces amusing reactions and I enjoy that it marks both my gender and sexuality as ambiguous to some degree. I still don't know who bought it, though :(

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Wow, I always wondered about those weird old New Yorkers I would see wearing blue Red Sox caps. :v:

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

BackInTheUSSR posted:

Lynn Hoppes used to be my professor and he was really pompous and rubbed me the wrong way, and even though after he got the ESPN gig he blew tons of their money on me and some friends at a convention one time, he still struck me as a bit of a creep.

I knew he was fairly hated around the Deadspin circle but they linked to this piece he wrote, and wow. http://espn.go.com/espn/page2/index?id=4892536

Edit: why the gently caress is this a story ugh

Wow, Lynn Hoppes is a totally weird-looking guy, too. Anyone older than, like, 35 should not be allowed to have long hair unless their name is Gandalf or Dumbledore. Just my personal opinion there. The only people with long hair should be younger guys who can still reasonably pull of effeminacy while remaining attractive. Lynn Hoppes should not have long hair, because it just makes him look creepy as all hell and the overall effect is that it seems like he wants to look younger and cooler than he is.

Anyway, there are no words for that pizza article. I really can't quite figure out if it's him showing off about having a conversation with the Papa John's founder, like "Hey I'm pretty cool the OWNER OF PAPA JOHNS gives me pizza slices :smug:" or if it's a thinly veiled advertisement for Papa Johns. I think it's the former, because it seems to be in keeping with his whole "Hey look at how cool and hip I am with my long hair!" thing.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

leokitty posted:

Joba isn't ruined he was pitching very well this year and pitched very well with some bumps last year

Poor Joba. He's really been screwed, in a way, because of what a spectacularly good start he got off to. It's like after he came back to earth he could never live up to the casual fan's "expectations" because he didn't turn out to be the second coming of Mariano Rivera or something. This is mostly the fault of idiot sportswriters, of course. Although he had been quietly having a pretty great 2011, it's true.

Ellsbury had a similar problem in Boston, after being so great in his 2007 debut. It's not until this year that he's turned back into anything resembling that player for any extended period of time, really. Not that I'm convinced he's going to maintain his .310/.370/.476 line, or anything.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Crazy Ted posted:

Drew Magary does not like LeBron James.

I think why I don't buy into the Lebron hate at all is that I automatically assume the majority of athletes are basically megalomaniacal self-entitled assholes who are unbelievably narcissistic. I just figure they lie to the media during press conferences and interviews when they "say the right thing" and whatnot. I actually find it refreshing that Lebron just acts like himself and doesn't hide behind a wall of bullshit and boring platitudes and cliches. It's cool that he says spiteful and vindictive crap after losing a huge playoff series - that's how most athletes would feel, after all, for gently caress's sake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

That comparison between Howard and Adrian Gonzalez caused me to look up Adrian's UZR for the first time this season, and his UZR/150 is at loving 11.2. I knew he was doing well defensively just from watching him play, but that seems loving absurd for a first baseman. Pujols-esque, even.

I wonder how that writer would react to a smug nerd quoting fangraphs actual dollar value and being like "Well you see Howard is really only worth $5.6 million a year right now" :smug:. Does anyone else find it really loving amusing to behave like a caricature of a "mothers basement" type just to piss guys like that off on twitter and stuff?