Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

I can recall being broke with some friends in Tennessee and deciding to have a party and being able to afford only two-fifths of a $1.75 bourbon called Two Natural, whose label showed dice coming up 5 and 2. Its taste was memorable. The psychological effect was also notable.
Just my opinion, but Deadspin has gone from a fairly entertaining and refreshing sports blog when Leitch was EIC to a hateful, snarky TMZ/Gawker hybrid that's almost unreadable at this point beyond Drew Magery. If they've gotten rid of Dashiell Bennett, that's at least a step in the right direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

I can recall being broke with some friends in Tennessee and deciding to have a party and being able to afford only two-fifths of a $1.75 bourbon called Two Natural, whose label showed dice coming up 5 and 2. Its taste was memorable. The psychological effect was also notable.
John Steigerwald. That's the answer. We did it guys, we found him. It's generally guileless to draw analogies from politics to sports but he does it in such a contemptible and sophomoric way that the only thing I can say is that he is truly The Worst Sports Journalist and I can't see anyone taking that mantle from him.

drat, it's like he's trolling. Here's a column entitled "Dead Babies $30" (no colon)

quote:

DEAD BABIES $30

I’m ambivalent on the death penalty, mainly because it lets killers off too easy.

I think living in a 7 x 9 cell for 60 or 70 years is a fate worse than death.

But every once in a while a case comes along that makes me glad that we have that option.

The perp in question is 69 years old and, if he’s convicted, should get the needle. (Too bad there’s no more electric chair.)

His name is Doctor Kermit Gosnell. He “practiced” in West Philadelphia and specialized in abortions.

Mostly for low-income black women.

He’s accused of inducing labor and forcing the live birth of viable babies in their sixth, seventh and eighth month of pregnancy and then killing the babies by cutting their spinal chords with scissors.

He made almost $2 million in one year.

One witness told the grand jury that, after a 17-year-old girl gave birth to a six-pound, nine-ounce, 19-inch baby, Gosnell ”slit the neck” and then put the dead baby in a shoe box and then Gosnell said that the baby, “wasn’t really moving. It’s the baby’s reflexes.”

You don’t suppose this disregard for human life has anything to do with the fact that 70% of black women give birth out of wedlock, do you?

According to today’s Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, Steven Massof, a 48-year-old man from Mt. Lebanon, admitted to a grand jury that he worked for Gosnell and assisted in the “abortions.”

He made $300 a week and $30 for each second- or third-trimester abortion patient.

Masloff should be charged with first-degree murder, too.

State regulators (probably some of the same geniuses who will oversee your healthcare some day) ignored complaints about Gosnell’s practice.

I have a question, though.

If it’s OK to kill a baby when it’s still inside the mother, why is it murder to kill the same living being when it’s lying on a hospital operating table five minutes later?

It’s the mother’s “choice” that the baby should die, right?

Could it have something to do with the fact that, when the scissors are used to pierce the skull of a “fetus” inside the womb, nobody sees it?

If I’m not mistaken, our president voted against a law in Illinois that makes it mandatory for doctors to give medical attention to babies that survive abortions.

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

Badfinger posted:

There is a book.

:stiegsmith:

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

Rick Reilly posted:

Boys are a problem that's whittling away at the fabric of field hockey in Massachusetts, New York and Pennsylvania. "Playing with boys is awful!" one girl wrote on an Internet field hockey site. "When you win, people think it's only because of the boys on your team. It's so defeating."

For feminists it's a nasty little issue. For one thing the reason Ryan can play is that Massachusetts has an equal rights amendment in its constitution.

Eight years ago the state's Superior Court ruled that the amendment applied to athletics. That meant boys could not be barred from playing on girls' teams. Even though field hockey is as male as jock itch everywhere else in the world, the U.S. has zero boys' high school teams. "We lost in court so many times," says Paul Wetzel of the Massachusetts Interscholastic Athletic Association, which appealed the court ruling, "that we gave up. [The decision] doesn't make sense, but there's nothing we can do."

Of course a judge's allowing it doesn't make it right. True, girls play on some teams in boys' sports, but they don't fundamentally change those sports. Ryan Sherburne changes the girls' game, as does Brad Bell. These parents must have half a brain to permit their hulking teenage piles of testosterone to go out in half a dress and whomp on girls half their size. Yeah, they have the constitutional right to do so, but not the moral right. The next dad who allows it gets a field hockey shot right where it hurts.
This post contains some analysis but is mostly opinion. This is a lazy and stupid article. Look, yes, I think we can all agree that the affected class can't be said to have been historically disadvantaged. A law review article could be written on this scenario vis-à-vis the legislative purpose of Title IX but this strikes me as a situation falling well within its statutory language and scope and I would bet that Title IX and Title VI are what the Massachusetts "equal rights amendment" are patterned after

I'm not a chauvinist in any sense of the word but I don't think it's unreasonable for some guys to want to play field hockey and I don't see anything in that article that leads me to believe otherwise. The question I have to ask myself is, "is letting men play in any way adversely affecting the opportunity being afforded to women?" I don't really see how. The risk of physical injury, to me, seems really overstated in order to lend some credence to the article's lovely thesis, that in America, field hockey is a "girl's game". Gender norms, love those in the context of civil rights litigation...

What is this article even getting at, this is a basic equal opportunity issue and one that's been apparently been litigated repeatedly in their favor already, why am I supposed to think that they're assholes? Because some participants are displeased simply because it affects the balance of the game? Because the guys aren't adhering to a traditional American gender norm? gently caress man, I agree that it's not the most constitutionally pressing issue, but that doesn't mean that the affected party doesn't deserve equal access

swizz fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Apr 22, 2011

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

Willie Mays literally never coughed you're right

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

if it isn't the ol Twizzler-eating fat woman in a movie theater motif

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

so is Grantland supposed to be a repository for long-winded New Journalism relating to sports

is Bill Simmons considered the best we got nowadays (edit: not a fan, I felt obliged to note this), Hunter S. Thompson is pretty drat dead

swizz fucked around with this message at 04:41 on May 3, 2011

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

In the category of masturbatory awards shows, it has come to my attention that they give Sports Emmys. Bob Costas won for outstanding sports personality. You read that correctly. Your winner for best piece of sports journalism was Real Sports With Bryan Gumbel: The Missing Link (about which I can't really find any information)

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

I'm not going to prejudge the site. I am generally all for long-form journalism (New or otherwise) without regard to genre provided that you have something interesting to say because otherwise it's unreadable florid bullshit. It'll be a step in the right direction for sports journalism provided that the writers are talented (and I'm not familiar with all of them). The Katie Baker piece isn't that bad, it's just not that good and the prose a little excessive and the last thing I want to read is material by writers that think they're more Norman Mailer than Dick Schaap. Not saying that this will be the case. My position is that sports are somewhat low-brow (sorry if that offends) and adding a Harper's-level layer of pretension to sports writing could very well lead to Grantland being unenjoyable for me personally.

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

we haven't checked in on our buddy Stiegz in a little while. Maybe he's learned from his recent experiences and will have some sagacious words for those similarly situated!

quote:

LET HIM UP

Rashard Mendenhall has not been accused of a crime. He posted some really stupid things on his Twitter page and has spent the last few days in internt hell.

He’s also provided a lot of content for talk show hosts and bloggers –including me.

But it’s time to let him up.

He didn’t beat up his wife, girlfriend or baby mama.

The Steelers don’t need to release him and you shouldn’t feel obligated to boo him.

The people in the media, who like to tell you how offensive Rashard’s comments were, need to stop repeating those comments and increasing the number of people who are offended.

Of course, they’re not worried at all about a 9/11 vicitm’s family member being offended or they wouldn’t be repeating what Mendenhall said every five minutes.

This has provided lots of fodder for radio hosts and bloggers and they are all a lot less interested in protecting people from being offended than they are in getting listeners and clicks.

If Mendenhall’s comments had not been picked up and spread by the media, only his Twitter followers would have been in danger of being offended.
What are we going to do with you Stiegz, you silly goose

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

It's kind of logically upside-down and glazes over the notion that Mendenhall is a public figure. Not really the point though, Stiegerwald owns if only because he clearly just doesn't give a gently caress and doesn't have any sort of internal logical compass. It has not stopped him or even given him any pause

edit: whoops, accidentally posted prematurely via Awful App, let me fix this post up real nice

swizz fucked around with this message at 19:19 on May 23, 2011

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

stuart scott irl posted:

'
what is this and is there an Android version

It's pretty much what you'd expect, albeit slightly bare bones, and there's definitely an Android version. That's what I'm using.

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

Oh man, that's really bad. One of the worst in this thread. Why the media try to make themselves part of the story is just beyond me, it's definitely not their place to call for a player to be traded because he didn't want to talk to overly-critical reporters that are trying to make a name for themselves by via character assassination

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

"and believe me, many other things go on, that as reporters, we can’t talk about."

Wait, what? Because talking about them would violate confidences or make you an anathema? Those are the only legitimate reasons that I can conceive of because otherwise I'm pretty sure it's literally your aforementioned job. More likely: [1] You don't have any substantive information and/or [2] the information is hearsay [3] the dissemination of the information would be defamatory

pretty unprofessional line to drop, especially with regard to someone's character

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

Yeah, it's that sort of thing that would turn the reporter into an anathema in the clubhouse and I consider that a legitimate reason to withhold it. That having been said, I doubt she has anything other than hearsay.

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

The Masked Man is outstanding even though his analysis is a little overwrought sometimes, it doesn't even matter. Does he write anywhere else?

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

The whole NCAA mess at Carolina has resulted in many truly terrible columns. Retards attempting to play judge, jury, and executioner? Check. Insipid moralizing? Check. Misrepresentation of the facts? Check. Ridiculous hyperbole? We got that poo poo in spades. Ignoring the nuances and complexities of the case? Check.

Look, I understand that I'm somewhat sensitive to the particular brand of bullshit. That said, I don't necessarily need to agree with a sportswriter's thesis to appreciate the fact that they've written a well-conceived piece. This isn't one of them. Here's one from some redneck in Elizabeth City, known colloquially as Elizabeth lovely.

quote:

RALEIGH — In a court of law, prosecutors would have little trouble convicting North Carolina football coach Butch Davis.

After the release of the NCAA’s 42-page report detailing nine major violations against Davis and the University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill football program, attention focused mainly on former assistant coach/chief recruiter/sports agent runner John Blake.

The attention is warranted. It’s pretty unprecedented for a college coach, responsible for supposed amateur athletes, to be on the payroll of both a university and a professional sports agent.

But far more damaging to the reputations of Davis and the university are allegations regarding tutor Jennifer Wiley, whom the head football coach once personally employed.

The NCAA report alleges that Wiley paid off $1,789 in parking tickets for one UNC football player, bought a $150 airline ticket for a player and provided 142 free hours of tutoring to nine football players.

Wiley appears to have provided these impermissible perks while in Davis’ personal employ tutoring his son. The help came after she was let go by the university’s sanctioned tutoring program. Oh, and she did all this after receiving a letter from the school telling her not to provide any further academic assistance to student-athletes.

Davis and the university, meanwhile, have refused to provide any information about how much he paid the tutor. Wiley has lawyered up, refusing to talk to NCAA investigators about any of it.

They apparently still have something to hide. Or, maybe talking about where a college student gets nearly $1,800 to pay off another student’s debt is just too embarrassing.

The details laid out in the NCAA report regarding Wiley’s help to football players is the kind of circumstantial evidence that criminal prosecutors love. It paints a picture not easily undone.

The NCAA, of course, is not a court of law. No one has accused Davis or his tutor of breaking any laws. Rules intended to keep collegiate sports fair are at issue.

What Davis has done is tarnish both the athletic and academic reputation of the state’s flagship university.

So far, though, the only harkening sound from over on the hill is equivocation. Or, is it just plain silence?

That so many who have nurtured and protected that reputation for so many years — Bill Friday, C.D. Spangler, Paul Hardin, Erskine Bowles — haven’t publicly called for Davis’ head is the saddest part of the whole sorry episode.

The NCAA report makes clear that the scandal marks the most significant wrongdoing in a collegiate sports program in North Carolina since a basketball point-shaving scandal enveloped UNC-Chapel Hill and N.C. State University during the early 1960s.

Yet those with significant influence in the university system sit on their hands.

Apparently those who worship at the alter of the almighty collegiate sports dollar exercise the real power within the UNC system.

Nothing else explains why this man still has his job.

brb, setting my degree on fire in the yard

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

That's literally a published column from one of the marquee sportswriters for The Daily Advance in Elizabeth City, NC.

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

The Wise Teen posted:

As someone who grew up in a household that received the Daily Advance every day I can say with some authority that they don't have a marquee anything.

But yes, that is a pretty terrible article.

My bad if you're from E City. There are worse places down east, that is for drat sure. It was inevitable that I'd post an article about our scandal, there have definitely been a lot of them over the past year.

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

The Wise Teen posted:

Not quite, but close to there. Wasn't sure if you were from out that way, since basically no one has ever heard of the Daily Advance. I have no love for Elizabeth City though, just trying to find some common ground since you seem like an alright dude despite our irreconcilable sports fandom.

At least we have the Carolina Panthers to rally aro-hahaha (seriously though, win some games)

Although we're proud of the college sports tradition in this state, this is the second summer in a row that fans have been at each others' throats with more vitriol than usual and it's just not fun or even interesting. It's as if fans of every school in the region feel as if they have some sort of stake in the NCAA ordeal, which is silly, and there's been a complete loss of perspective. Honestly, I'm tempted to chalk it up to the media shitstorm that's fallen over the state. Can we please have an MLB team soon and give sports columnists around here something to write about during the summer

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Stop bitching about Deadspin and read this: http://www.gq.com/sports/profiles/201107/jerry-joseph-scandal-hs-basketball

Guarantee it's the best thing you read all week.

Thanks for the link. The author was presented with a fascinating story and nailed it, great read.

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

Man, I don't read Peter King, but gently caress that dude, what a douche. That was awful.

Love this quote though

quote:

Weird Austria fact: Adolf Hitler was born there.

BIZARRE!

Never knew that.

That’s because you spend all your time reading about loving Judge Judy.

swizz fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jul 26, 2011

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

BITCH I SELL CAINE posted:

Let me tell you about the greatest* baseball game I've ever seen.

[writes 5,000-word article about an American All-Stars vs. Boston Red Sox best-of-seven series of "RBI Baseball" from a stoner's living room in Milpitas in 1990.]

- What is "meaning," anyway?

This is pretty much why I was skeptical of Grantland in the first place, there's some good material but the bad stuff is aggravating

swizz fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Aug 19, 2011

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

Taylor Branch :worship:

That was the best article I've read on college athletics in years and probably ever

swizz fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Sep 20, 2011

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

FairGame posted:

The best part: "Darius Rucker is a black man. YOU know that, Bomani."

"...and I am sick of people everywhere, be they in Charlotte [North Carolina] [The South] or anywhere, making fun of people down here."

this segment is a masterpiece

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

Has Bryant Gumbel been mentioned as being absolutely terrible lately? Because he still is.

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

I don't disagree but he's still insufferable.

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

hey ESPN do you want to hire some of the posters from the CFB off-season thread next, we have falsified documents and a huge backlog of columns the theses of which are "gently caress Aggy lol"

Gendo has the graphic design on lock

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

I don't really have a problem with cutting through this girl's veil of bullshit and dragging her true identity out into the open via extrinsic evidence. That's what should happen to a scammer that attempts to hide behind a cloak of misdirection or anonymity. Showing up at her house is way, way too far though.

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

I do not see that sort of information on Deadspin but it is possible that I am inadvertently overlooking it somehow

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

morestuff posted:

Not Deadspin.

Ohhh I see. Thanks for the link, morestuff.

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Yeah, Bill Simmons remains lacking as a writer but his managerial skills to date have been stellar. He consistently provides Grantland with interesting, timely articles written by skilled writers*.

*Applies only to sports content, Hollywood Prospectus is still very out there.

I don't know, the guy Grantland has writing about ACC basketball is really awful

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

Tae posted:

Almost no sports media is actually good at sports.

Excuse me.

But.

Not everyone is capable

of writing

columns like Dana O'Neil. It takes years

and years of training, dedication

, and experience.

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

morestuff posted:

ESPN has a live chat going on with John Walsh, if that interests you at all.

I am not out to flambé anyone but those questions are incredibly soft. Not surprising because I'm sure the last thing the network wants is for Walsh to be blindsided, but then again it's not a sit-down interview and he could have a PR consultant and a lawyer sitting right there with him. Just an observation.

edit: Then again it is ESPN essentially interviewing itself so it's even less surprising.

swizz fucked around with this message at 17:07 on May 3, 2012

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

stuart scott irl posted:

this is the worst loving thing I've ever seen

I thought the series of dumb words that Tom Hoffarth wrote would be the worst part about today but wowww

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

Perhaps one of the reasons beautiful, knowledgeable women do not want to become "sports journalists" is that their every move seemingly places them in the cross-hairs of sanctimonious, insolent blowhards like Tom Hoffarth

not to mention male sports fans in general

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

The two best UNC bloggers just merged their sites into one blog (with two writers) on SB Nation this past week. I thought it was pretty interesting development that one of the writers would so willingly give up his blog of six years to essentially write for the other. SB Nation must be deploying some capital

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

After having read that GQ article, I would literally have a higher opinion of Buzz Bissinger if he were addicted to crack

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

the original SBN article was lazy, unfunny, and incredibly stupid but definitely not worthy of the reaction it has received

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

ESPN is about five years too late, but OTL did a nice piece on what bullshit athlete charities are. Lamar Odom doesn't even sweat when he's accused on camera of outright fraud.

Wow. Great article on issues that absolutely deserve further examination. These athletes are seemingly treating these charities like personal ATMs.