Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Crazy Ted posted:

They will call it NosebleedsReport, and will credit their authors with breaking scoops even after they've been broken by three other sources first.

Ahh good ol' Rick "SAY I BROKE THIS FIRST ON TWITTER EVEN THOUGH I DIDN'T" Reilly. Also Steve Young looking like he was about to take a swing at him on live TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Vertical Lime posted:

Some updates on those firings:

Also, 2 weeks ago Disney's stock hit an all-time high.

Well yeah but I mean it can still go higher, right?

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

I actually thought they canned that guy years ago. Dude had zero personality whatsoever on that trivia show.

haljordan fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jun 13, 2013

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Benne posted:

SB Nation's latest longform talks about the greatest sport of all time.

:swoon: MOTHERFUCKING BATTLEBOTS :swoon:

http://www.sbnation.com/longform/2013/6/18/4438250/battlebots-robot-wars-combat-oral-history

Truly the sport of kings.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Crazy Ted posted:

IIRC the actual sport of kings is Australian Rules Football.

No way, it's still definitely horse racing. What's more kinglike than watching a midget abuse a gigantic animal with a whip in order to make rich people slightly richer?

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

MourningView posted:

I like to dream that the Steinbrenners will snap and let John Sterling run the team if he agrees to a low enough salary

John Sterling is hot garbage for the most part, but Artie Lange had a great story about him on his last stand up CD. Artie was down on the field at Yankee Stadium doing some segment for "The Best drat Sports Show" and Sterling asked him how he got down there. Artie told him "I won a Suzyn Waldman lookalike contest." Sterling fired right back with "Well there is a resemblance!"

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

MourningView posted:

So he just repeated the same joke Artie told? You're right, that is quite the wit.

It was more that Artie thought Sterling would get pissed off for him making GBS threads on his co-host like that.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Rick Reilly gets run over by a bus and dies? I'm just guessing since there is no way in hell I am reading anything written by that fuckhead.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

quote:

Cowherd has been popping up on ESPN’s Mike & Mike radio show frequently – the rumor is M&M ratings have sagged, and the suits would like the show to have stronger opinions, something I discussed with one of the hosts on a podcast – and last week ESPN announced Cowherd will be part of College Football Live Tuesdays with Kirk Herbstreit.

Ah so they want the show to be more jam-packed with those two idiots yelling over eachother (I assume "stronger" is codeword for "louder"). Revolutionary!

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Jim Rome's show is much more bearable than Cowherd but the problem is he uses so many inside jokes and references that it's hard to follow sometimes. Apparently not knowing who "Eddie from SoCal" is really puts a damper on things. He definitely does have great interview skills though, as others have pointed out.

I assume Cowherd never apologized for his completely lovely (and wrong) take on Sean Taylor's death either?

haljordan fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jul 3, 2013

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

I get he has 3 hours to fill every day, but goddamn he seems to revel in the fact that he's a complete and utter shithead. "That's my Colin tenor." Eat. A. Dick.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

So It Goes posted:

So does anyone think ESPN's annual "study" of the body form has any actual merit beyond the loads of views and attention it obviously gets.

To be fair, you could say this about 90% of the features that ESPN runs.

I'm still waiting for a new edition of "Who's More Now?" assholes!

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

That seems a tad....desperate especially from a huge network like ESPN.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

morestuff posted:

From what I understand, the vast, vast majority of their money comes from the subscription fees. I'm sure declining ratings hurt, but as long as they have a bunch of exclusive content they can strong-arm the cable companies into the fees.

I think the current amount ESPN gets for every person who can receive their channel is $4.69. That is worlds beyond any other network/channel.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

ElwoodCuse posted:

Our ratings are down and our non-live-sports programming is a cesspool and we're rehiring the single most despised person in our history but nothing is wrong at ESPN no sir

If they hire Dan Patrick back you know things are REALLY in the shitter.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

davecrazy posted:

He would never. He has a pretty sweet gig with NBC/his radio show/directTV.

I bet if the cash was right he'd consider it.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Hope he's ready for lots of games of "Stop Hitting Yourself".

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

MourningView posted:

Every team should be required to have at least one fat kid in glasses, and hitting him in the face should be worth 20 points.

And how do you get to be a Professional Dodgeball Analyst? That is all I ever want to do in life.

Get Jon Gruden in there as an analyst.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Moe_Rahn posted:

DDP should be canonized for what he did for Scott Hall and Jake Roberts.

I'm not being a snarky rear end in a top hat here when I say I am truly amazed Scott Hall is still alive.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Why is baseball the sport where, much more than the others, the people voting for Hall of Famers want more attention than the actual athletes? The amount of self-serving lazy articles that get spewed out every year is so incredibly awful.

haljordan fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jul 24, 2013

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Without looking them up, is that Gehrig/Ripken consecutive game streaks, the home run records from Bonds, Ruth and Aaron and the football ones are consecutive games started (Favre) and touchdown passes (Favre again?)?

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

ElwoodCuse posted:

They broadcast The Masters which is about prestige, not money. Augusta National leaves tons on the table in the name of control.

Remember the year they ran the Masters with no ads at all as a very mature "gently caress You" to the groups protesting the tournament because at that time they didn't admit women?

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Declan MacManus posted:

Here's a piece that the New Yorker ran on Emile Griffith. http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/culture/2013/07/boxing-emile-griffith-benny-paret-death-madison-square-garden.html

It reminds me of old school boxing writing, which happens to be my favorite kind of sports journalism.

I saw a piece on that fight on ESPN last night. Does any boxing career have a happy ending ever? :(

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

commy gun posted:

Hugh Douglas may have a thing for Camele Hill/be a drunk rear end in a top hat.

http://www.sportingnews.com/sport/story/2013-08-06/hugh-douglas-michael-smith-altercation-racist-remarks-nabj-convention

I'm a retired serviceable lineman whos easily replaceable as a broadcaster, I don't have to take your poo poo!

Didn't Hugh Douglas also get into a locker room fight with TO at one point?

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Grittybeard posted:

Didn't he continue to sell it for an uncomfortably long time after he was awarded first base or am I remembering this incident wrong?

edit: Ah sorry, never mind.

haljordan fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Aug 7, 2013

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

ElwoodCuse posted:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/pete-prisco/23381962/nfl-can-afford-765m-settlement-but-players-didnt-deserve-it

Does this guy really think that fantasy football and having something to do on fall weekends is more important than the health and safety of football players?

I have a feeling that article is going to be pulled by noon today.

Also, eat a dick Pete Prisco. Eat all the dicks.

Here's his lovely article in summary: I got 2 concussions playing pee-wee football and I'm fine, so all these players are liars and fakers.

quote:

Without the NFL, I wouldn't have a job.

Oh wouldn't that be a tragedy. Don't worry Pete, you can always come mop out toilets at my job.

haljordan fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Aug 30, 2013

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Really great longform read today in the NY Times about the MMA fighter in Michigan who (badly) faked his own death.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

quote:

Later in the column, Reilly will trash King and Brennan by name, but lacks the sand to call out Simmons. If nothing else, he knows where his maize is buttered.

Rick Reilly: lovely writer and coward

Although, if we're being fair, Reilly's piece is still not as bad as this loving disaster.

haljordan fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Sep 19, 2013

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

It's even more depressing when you find out 2 or 3 editors at the paper also read that column and not one of them said "Holy gently caress, we need to burn this poo poo and forget it ever existed."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Nybble posted:

Zombie Deadspin just became even more undead, as G/O (execs) have started publishing AI articles:

https://twitter.com/lukeplunkett/status/1676713093127376896?s=46&t=WVceeWcLlqXlE2y7eNkQ_Q

It also happened at io9 and they are not pleased
https://twitter.com/jwhitbrook/status/1676703614872502273?s=46&t=WVceeWcLlqXlE2y7eNkQ_Q

This author of this article may get canned today but what a way to go!

https://deadspin.com/list-list-list-list-list-ai-ai-ai-1850610074

Spanfeller is such a herb.