Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doloen
Dec 18, 2004
I'm not saying that Bautista is a cheater, but hes a loving cheater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doloen
Dec 18, 2004
Guys, I can't tell you about it, but hes really terrible. Just trust me, I'm a Journalist.

Doloen
Dec 18, 2004
Heres my favorite Souhan article from earlier this year. He presents the argument that the Twins are being handicapped by a higher payroll.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/twins/127395633.html

And my favorite part:

quote:

Since signing the deal, Mauer has played in 195 of his team's 278 games. He has been the starting catcher in 145 of those. Entering Tuesday's game, he had hit .315 with 10 home runs and 97 RBI in 717 at-bats since signing the extension.

He is performing like a banged-up $10 million-a-year player but is costing the Twins $23 million a year. Mauer's contract kept the Twins from bolstering their bullpen this winter, and it might keep them from re-signing Michael Cuddyer, who has vastly outperformed Mauer over the past two years.

The only thing Cuddyer outperforms on is homeruns but hey, dingers.

Doloen
Dec 18, 2004

BITCH I SELL CAINE posted:

The Shame of College Sports

quote:

Obscure NCAA rules have bedeviled Scott Boras, the preeminent sports agent for Major League Baseball stars, in cases that may ultimately prove more threatening to the NCAA than Ed O’Bannon’s antitrust suit. In 2008, Andrew Oliver, a sophomore pitcher for the Oklahoma State Cowboys, had been listed as the 12th-best professional prospect among sophomore players nationally. He decided to dismiss the two attorneys who had represented him out of high school, Robert and Tim Baratta, and retain Boras instead. Infuriated, the Barattas sent a spiteful letter to the NCAA. Oliver didn’t learn about this until the night before he was scheduled to pitch in the regional final for a place in the College World Series, when an NCAA investigator showed up to question him in the presence of lawyers for Oklahoma State. The investigator also questioned his father, Dave, a truck driver.

Had Tim Baratta been present in their home when the Minnesota Twins offered $390,000 for Oliver to sign out of high school? A yes would mean trouble. While the NCAA did not forbid all professional advice—indeed, Baseball America used to publish the names of agents representing draft-likely underclassmen—NCAA Bylaw 12.3.2.1 prohibited actual negotiation with any professional team by an adviser, on pain of disqualification for the college athlete. The questioning lasted past midnight.

Just hours before the game was to start the next day, Oklahoma State officials summoned Oliver to tell him he would not be pitching. Only later did he learn that the university feared that by letting him play while the NCAA adjudicated his case, the university would open not only the baseball team but all other Oklahoma State teams to broad punishment under the NCAA’s “restitution rule” (Bylaw 19.7), under which the NCAA threatens schools with sanctions if they obey any temporary court order benefiting a college athlete, should that order eventually be modified or removed. The baseball coach did not even let his ace tell his teammates the sad news in person. “He said, ‘It’s probably not a good idea for you to be at the game,’” Oliver recalls.

Holy poo poo.

Edit: that section just keeps getting worse, gently caress the Blue Jays.

Doloen fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Sep 15, 2011

Doloen
Dec 18, 2004

leokitty posted:

Hurts my brain that Plaschke is still a featured guy after his horrible personal attacks on Lindsey Vonn who is pretty much the greatest (woman) downhill skier ever.

What the hell would anybody attack Vonn over?

Never mind, I assume it's this.
http://articles.latimes.com/2010/feb/11/sports/la-sp-olympics-plaschke11-2010feb11

Doloen
Dec 18, 2004

MourningView posted:

it makes people here super mad

Barry Sanders is the reason for the season.

Doloen
Dec 18, 2004

MourningView posted:

The Masters is the loving worst, even by the incredibly low standards of "televised golf". Not only are you watching people golf, which is an inherently idiotic pursuit that no one under the age of 75 should engage in, but you are watching the most smug and self-important sporting event in entire world. Everyone please stop.

Oh come on, it can't be that bad MV.

RickReilly posted:

• Stall Steward -- At the Masters, the service never stops, even when a "patron" takes a bathroom break. As you enter the on-course men's room, a kind of urinal wrangler greets you and directs you to the latest opening. "Got two in the back row!" a guy was hollering in the restroom near the 11th hole Thursday. "Back row, no waiting!"

It's a great job if you like telling people where to go.

If you require an actual stall, there is a kind of commode concierge, who invites you forward.

"Here you are, sir!" 18-year-old blue-blazered Carlos Ruiz was beckoning Thursday, as though he was finding you a table at Sardi's. "Come on in!"

Then Ruiz went in first, spritzed disinfectant on the seats and wiped it off before standing aside to let the invitee enter, then closed the door afterward. He did everything but shout encouragement. And he had his deodorizer (strawberry) ready for the follow-up.

Same deal in the women's bathroom, where, outside, a woman named Ellen Luchtel of Napa, Calif., was flabbergasted. "I've been to three-star Michelin restaurants," Luchtel gushed. "And even they didn't do that for me."

Pay: $7.25 (minimum wage), but time and a half after 40 hours. And Ruiz guessed he would work 84 hours this week.

"It's worth it," says Ruiz, who is saving his money in hopes of attending Georgia Southern next year, where he wants to play first base and pitch.

Wonder if he'll bring the spritzer to the dugout?

http://espn.go.com/golf/masters14/story/_/id/10756723/reilly-put-augusta-your-resume

Nevermind, it is that bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doloen
Dec 18, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

Does Trump know Jordan is a Republican

Replace 'political' with 'uppity'. He's dog whistling.