Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

midwat posted:

ESPN continues to try to justify "The Decision" as something other than incredibly cynical: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/commentary/news/story?page=wulf-110708

LeBron was totally nice to some kids once! This redeems all his flaws!

I mean, objectively, raising $3 million for charity definitely does redeem the flaw of a terrible media circus or whatever. I think the more offensive thing about this is that it's a part of a wave from ESPN trying to make a news story out of "The Decision Happened A Year Ago"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
•LIMITATIONS: Gordon leads the team in strikeouts and strikeouts looking.

strikeouts AND strikeouts looking :ohdear:

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Between not believing that a student-athlete could be poor enough to find illegal benefits enticing in his last article and calling Miami a "thugfest" and saying that the athletes who went there but didn't commit any violations don't deserve any pity because should have seen something like this coming in his most recent one, I don't quite understand why so many reputable people were excited about John Brandon on Grantland.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
The fact that that cover isn't a parody defies logic

"Is Tom Brady Too Pretty?". is tom brady too pretty

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I literally cannot believe that there is a Cubs fan who wants to add some more requirements for the manner in which they win their first World Series title in over a century.

And that those requirements basically are "be run exactly in the same terrible way that the Cubs have in the past and wait until you luck into a championship"

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I love that they don't even add any commentary to that or anything even approaching justifying posting an article about her. "There was a girl on TV here's her facebook okay bye"

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Someone on Twitter criticized Neyer for saying women aren't left out of sports for a lack of opportunity when he's not, you know, a woman. His response was to say he has plenty of personal experience with being discriminated against:

quote:

‏@robneyer
@AndeWall I've been discriminated against, as a blogger and a non-BBWAA member and a lisper. Almost all of us have felt a sting of some sort

xbilkis fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Nov 12, 2013

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
It would probably be better to put the Christina Kahrl piece above the Simmons thing on the front page, because it's both better writing and better at capturing the spirit of what went wrong, but it's cool that they went beyond just Simmons saying "We hosed up, sorry"

e;fb on the Kahrl thing

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
By the way, if you were upset by the sincerity and levelheadedness of the Grantland response, Chris Jones's Twitter feed is full of whining about how LGBT people aren't doing enough to make him feel like an ally, and how all their silly names are too confusing to keep up with

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
You guys are definitely giving Darren "don't you know how many Twitter followers I have? This Playboy party should be catering to me" Rovell a lot more credit than I would.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

HOW COULD YOU posted:

I love that this grown rear end man wrote that email, sat back in his chair, and thought "NAILED IT, PERFECT WAY TO HANDLE THIS SITUATION"

No, no, he wrote that email and immediately sensed there might be a problem with it. After 25 minutes of internal debate and no response, he realized he hosed up in a big way, and sent another email in case he wasn't specific enough the first time.

Also love that he signed his email with his Twitter handle, no further explanation necessary.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
It makes 1000% sense that he's the main music writer for a Bill Simmons website, though. He probably secured his job for life when he wrote that big Counting Crows retrospective

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

morestuff posted:

I do think it's amazing how many words Andy Greenwald can write without actually saying anything, though.

I think I could tolerate Greenwald if there was a Chrome extension that automatically removed the cutesy wordplay/analogies/etc from his articles, which would all be like 1/3rd as long as a result

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

MourningView posted:

He's one of the biggest names working there so I would guess he's not part of the cuts. And if he were he'd probably wind up somewhere else fairly quickly. Ideally Grantland to replace Barnwell since he can actually write articles that are entertaining and don't amount to writing THIS TEAM WILL BE BETTER/WORSE BECAUSE OF REGRESSION TO THE MEAN and calling it a day.

I love gearing up for the NFL preview articles and then remembering that they're all just filled with turnover recovery charts and records in 1-score games and numbers of pick-sixes

Also a big fan of the in-season Coaching Criticism recurring features:

"3. This coach challenged a relatively unimportant play
2. This coach didn't go for it on 4th and short
1. This coach ran a draw at the end of a half"

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

Barnwell's latest on Grantland is very typical Barnwell, but really annoyed me because it's about teams that won't be as good this season, but on the list is Dallas and the Giants, teams that were bad last season and did gently caress all to improve this season so loving duh Barnwell. Bad teams that got worse or at best marginally better might be worse this season or just as bad. loving no poo poo Barnwell. His worst case scenario for most teams is that their best players will get injured or play badly and they will be bad teams. Keep making GBS threads them out man.

Every single day, I trick myself into clicking on the Barnwell articles because football season is about to start and I'm basically interested in reading whatever I can at this point. Now that he's at the actual season forecast, it's somehow gotten worse. My eyes glazed over two or three teams into the last articles because they were the same bundles of non-record indicators of future performance that wrap up with 'well it depends on how lucky they get.'

I know it's the prudent thing to say there's a lot of variance in a 16-game season with so many random elements in play, but good lord is it not a compelling thing to read over and over and over again.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
It's like ESPN didn't know what to do with all the praise they've gotten for their recent handling of the Goodell situation and needed to do something stupid to make everything return to normal

Suspending a highly visible and popular commentator for his commonly-held take on Goodell - and doing it for an amount of time that immediately invites a comparison to the Ray Rice suspension (and the suspension of Stephen A. Smith for much more widely criticized comments) - is about as poorly as you could handle this.

And now Simmons gets to continue to be a martyr / bad boy, so all around this is a terrible situation.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I feel like "someone's dad" might be a bread and butter demographic for Simmons actually

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
ST. LOUIS-Asked restaurant host: "God, did you hear about Darren Wilson?"
Host: "No."
Me: "Not indicted. Prosecutor just announced."
Thought he would cry.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Even if you can get to the point where you dismiss his outlook on race as well-intentioned but misinformed (like I think most people do with Barkley), he also has 0 redeeming qualities in any of his other "areas of expertise," so...

He's a really good The Wire quoter, I guess, which truly makes his site Black Grantland

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Also, sports has decades of an institutionalized machismo Tough Leadership legacy that's made that an acceptable managerial style to a degree it isn't in the vast majority of the professional world. And even there, it's questionable whether or not it's actually effective

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
The Clippers have just had bad turnover luck and should return to the mean next season

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Why would Doc Rivers bother inbounding the ball to Chris Paul with 1.2 seconds left in the half? The chance of him making a halfcourt desperation shot doesn't at all make up for the odds that he suffers a freak injury; just hold the ball and head into the locker room

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
The best part is the article does a really good job of (fairly) painting Bush in a pretty lovely light, but because a sports website didn't use 9/11 to rage against War Criminal George Bush it is just propaganda

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
That article was mostly really good, as all of Howard's stuff on The Undefeated has been, but Deadspin's continuing vendetta against Grantland (even after accepting that Simmons was probably a good boss) is pretty funny.

Aside from the ongoing anger over "The president pitched a ball good: A Short Film," this struck me as an odd criticism: "The writers overwhelmingly avoid issues of real import and subjects that might be potentially divisive." One, because it is a sports and pop culture site, and two, because it employed people like Charlie Pierce and Wesley Morris. I dunno how scathing you want your Bill Simmons-led work-time-killing sports site to be. In their dream world, is Andrew Sharp firing off blog posts about how sexism taints American sports culture?

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Lowe feels too well-established to go out on a limb like this, especially because it seems like ESPN should be content to bring him aboard the mothership even if Grantland ends up folding.

I didn't read much of him at SI before he came to Grantland, but he'd be pretty well situated to just do his own thing in a more secure location no matter what, right? Plus there's the added benefit of not having to smile and nod at your boss's demonstrably incorrect basketball opinions + theories

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Fennessey tweeted that they're working on a 'new, unnamed project,' which makes more sense than them working on Simmons's HBO show.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

zakharov posted:

Because they want you to come to their sites to see the gifs and videos and get pageviews for their advertisers.

They won't go look for content if they have no idea the gifs and the videos are there to be found, and since the NFL's social media/web presence is lacking for a league of its size...

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Niwrad posted:

Are Whitlock and Howard still arguing with each other on who is really black?

Whitlock has moved on to attacking Bomani Jones for being a member of Ta Nahesi Coates's "cult" and having the gall to think there's a racial component to the media/fan/coach treatment of Robert Griffin vs. Kirk Cousins. Bomani has sadly but understandably chosen to ignore him.

He also posted a story about how Colin Kaepernick's Beats By Dre ad campaign was responsible for his regression, and how it's an indictment of millennials and somehow an indictment of the push for police to wear body cameras? He also wrote this insane sentiment with a straight face somehow in the RGIII post:

quote:

It’s actually a compliment to Griffin’s skill and level of accomplishment that people are harder on him than Cousins. I apologize up front for going here, but this is my blog and I can keep it 100: The reason so many people in the media hold me to a standard of perfection is because my record of achievement is so high. I embrace the high standards placed on me because they keep me sharp, motivated and ascending. No one makes excuses for my failures because no one expects me to fail.

xbilkis fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Oct 23, 2015

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

AsInHowe posted:

Yes, yes he does.

I love that someone bought the url http://blackgrant.land to redirect to the archived version of this terrible article that had to be taken down

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
It's a shame that Simmons's takeaway from the Grantland experience was that his new venture needed to be internet-ier. I'm glad he's not into the idea of longform for longform's sake, but ratcheting up the number of themed series is producing a lot of really lovely content (in addition to the other lovely content on the website).

Did anyone on earth get excited by The Undeniables

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Deadspin has really dug in on the "Sam Hinkie Was Actually Objectively A Disaster & Anyone Who Suggests Otherwise Is A Dumbass Nerd" take

I think there's plenty of room to push back against the analytics crowd but they seem to be working backwards from "these dudes who think they're smart are actually bad," because loving Deadspin certainly isn't providing any more insightful basketball commentary than your average blogger

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Basically it's funny that the guy who wrote the anti-basketball blogger article (http://deadspin.com/deadspin-fears-the-basketblogging-horde-1785037940) thinks Deadspin's problem is that they started to get too nice and focused on Real Journalism, not that sideswiping at Zach Lowe would look stupid as hell coming from the website that is 40% promoted content, 30% unrelated to sports and 20% screencaps

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
One of the "awful takes" they linked in the article was someone saying the MCW trade was good and that the Sixers came out ahead in trades under Hinkie

It's just a different shade of the Simmons/Kahn thing. He was a lovely GM but also a lovely writer/website made it a core part of their identity to amplify that very mild take to an absurd degree

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Drawing positive comparisons to the Berlin Wall is a great way to get people to buy into your ideas

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
"The message is a home run, obviously, but I think the video is missing something....add a bunch of very slight zooms on me just talking and it'll be perfect"

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
"Dentists' Big Game Hunt Society" is a pretty useful shorthand for that type of person, good take

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Darren Rovell: Pro-slavery?

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/825009672256180225

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I probably got my first job thanks to a 40-hour-a-week unpaid summer internship in a shrinking newsroom that was clearly capitalizing on free labor to offset its rapid decay, so I feel qualified to comment on this subject:

1) The only reason I was able to do this is because my parents were well off
2) gently caress anyone who thinks that's an acceptable barrier of entry into the workforce

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Akileese posted:

I have no knowledge on this situation but do people who work for student newspapers at universities get paid or no? I tried to google it but I came up empty.

I got paid like $10 / article for one student newspaper, and my tuition paid for the privilege of writing at another!

Inspector_666 posted:

He has doubled/tripled/quadrupled and more down on this sentiment. It's amazing.

Everyone he's retweeting to prove his point is a white dude...

xbilkis fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jan 27, 2017