Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I didn't even make it to the end. gently caress.

Don't read the comments. Jesus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Henchman of Santa posted:

For some reason I can't get any comments on that article to come up. Are they as depressing as you would expect?

quote:

This how men have always treated each other. You want to come into our space, but not adhear to the rules. The rules are: the only opinion that matters belongs to the strongest and loudest, any difference is a sign of inferiority and should be ridiculed, the only proper response is to either take it or respond in kind. Yet women respond in exactly the way that delights us, to cry about it. The whole point of male group behavior is to break the weakest. To make their life miserable to the point of wanting to kill themselves. Who is the weakest? The one who cries. Thanks for delivering

That's one of the more reasonable ones, if that tells you much.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

zakharov posted:

I've been a male human all my life and I don't recognize this sentiment at all. I think that guy needs better friends.

I mean, my friends and I all talk poo poo constantly and make fun of each other. But it's not a pecking order or whatever the gently caress else that dude is on about, we're just bored as poo poo at work all day.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Ribsauce posted:

Stamps.com advertises on almost every single podcast that has advertising as far as I can tell. I have not done a survey of everyone I know, but I am pretty sure I don't know anyone who uses it. I certainly have never heard anyone mention it. Who the hell uses it? I send 100+ letters a month and I never even considered it, although maybe I should. Actually, after I typed this I went to their website and now I see how they make a ton of money. The monthly fee is 16 bucks! I bet half the people who signed up send like 2 letters a month with it.

Also, this MeUndies thing is everywhere now too. I guess their advertising half works, because after the 95th time I heard an ad for them I went to their site, but 20 bucks for 1 pair of underwear? Thanks but no thanks.

Stamps.com, meundies and that loving website building company. And draftkings, of course.

Bill Burr does the best MeUndies reads. And he pissed off draftkings so bad they dropped him.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

MourningView posted:

I'm not super angry about it but I support Deadspin turning it into a big thing because it's funny to watch Brady uncomfortably squirm and be baffled that anyone might take issue with him saying that it'd be "great" for the virulently racist buffoon to be president because he likes playing golf with said racist buffoon and apparently is still super psyched about that time he got to judge a beauty pageant. That is the most perfectly Tom Brady basis for a political opinion there could possibly be.

This.

Also, the only reason I did deadspin/gawker sites is because grantland died, and I don't know a better alternative.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Work Friend Keven posted:

I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by the movie swingers, saying that's money baby well into the 2010s, dragging themselves to quote gladiator well not gladiator the sopranos episode where Ralphie quotes gladiator

gently caress you man that saying is still money.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Inspector_666 posted:

The general dislike for athlete's having egos is ridiculous to me. Cam Newton earned the right to think he's good at football by being really good at football.

Hockey media does the same thing to PK Subban. It's not just ego, it really is skin color AND ego that they can't stand.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Toilet Mouth posted:

With oil prices where they're at, nobody here in WV can afford third party milk.

But raw milk is legal now!

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

With Steven Hyden going to Uproxx are there any left who are just doing their own thing?

Sean Mcindoe.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

I don't even know who that is

http://www.downgoesbrown.com/?m=1

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Crazy Ted posted:

Wait you guys didn't know about Boniface? gently caress he even writes for Rolling Stone now.

Cause that's a bastion of journalistic integrity.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

morestuff posted:

Can someone explain how basketball writing is any different from other sports blogging and why Deadspin has such a weird thing about it

Because they can go full SJW about white guys writing about black guys.

That and basketball writing tends to be atrocious. So is baseball, but no one cares about baseball so it's not as good for clickbait.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

ElwoodCuse posted:

It's good to know that one of the few things that *is* actually covered in American History classes still isn't really covered that well

The only reason I ever found out and then learned more about Finland fighting Russia was from listening to metal in HS.

It really does teach basically "a war started, then America joined and ended it."

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Kibner posted:

I disagree with a person being trans having anything to do with deceiving others about who they are.

But you see if they hide THAT....

gently caress man I could be a sportswriter.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Inspector_666 posted:

I agree with all of the points Deadpsin brought up but also PMT is the face of barstool. Yeah they don't actually run the company, but to paint PFT or Big Cat as "just some guy who works there" is disingenuous at best.

Everyone I know that reads/watches barstool does so because of PFT/PMT.

So he's definitely liable for what they do. Whether he does it or not, he's associated and takes the money.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

General Dog posted:

The world doesn't owe PFT anonymity (nor has he really claimed they do), and PFT doesn't owe the world an apology or an explanation for his employer. The only responsibility anyone has in this life is to take home a paycheck and stay out of jail. He's getting his downloads, Wagner is getting her clicks. Live and let live, it's just internet.

You're also a MAGA chud that should be launched into the big island, so this is just on brand.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

sportsgenius86 posted:

You could do docs about...

-Lee Murray robbing that bank
-the McCain crusade against MMA
-Jon Jones’ parade of fuckups
-Ken Shamrock’s hosed up life
-the legend of Rickson Gracie
-PrideFC
-Diaz Brothers
-Dennis Hallman’s banana hammock
-Kimbo Slice
-Rampage Jackson

The Lee Murray one is an absolute must.

Personally, I want a good 30-40 minute doc on the Joe Riggs-Nick Diaz hospital fight

Alleged tank abbot abducting toothless meth strippers with Joe Rogan.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

The Kins posted:

There's probably a great thread in people just retelling the ridiculous stories that orbit around their favourite sports/leagues/promotions, because god knows there's enough of them.

Agreed.

MMA just has a different take because until very recently it was so hidden. That straight up outlaw poo poo in the early promotions (or all of the eastern European promotions still) is goddamn fascinating.

What other sport has a dude who sets records and gets shown on primetime/ppv who was basically a terrorist or at the very least supported invading terrorists? Because mma has more than one. Plus numerous murderers who were huge.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

General Dog posted:

If only like half of America even knows what a podcast is, here ~12 years into the medium, what reason is there to think it will experience substantial growth going forward? Isn’t it more likely we’re already at the peak?

Doubtful. Its gaining steam, especially with younger people. The problem right now is it's very male dominated, and until they can find a way to get more women to listen it's not going to grow much larger.

I mean, I live (and work) in a place that's not very up on current times (small town Florida) and almost all of the 25 and under crowd talk about listening to podcasts, to the point where there's actually discussions about episodes of certain ones.

Hell, look at something like All Things Comedy. They have a deal with comedy central now, and started as purely a podcast network. Between that and larger festivals, it is growing. A bigger issue is how splintered they become, and people begging for money. I'm not giving you 10 bucks a month to hear a full interview, or any of that poo poo.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Crazy Ted posted:

Look, be as cynical as you want but Facebook is still very likely to be hit with a massive lawsuit over this. Tidal was hit with a Class Action lawsuit over something similar not that long ago, because they were reporting incorrect statistics from their streaming service and it led to artists and record labels being underpaid on royalties.

I thought the tidal thing was them lying massively about plays on songs, but the other direction? Like saying kanye's album was listened to like 8 times by all of earth and poo poo

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Niwrad posted:

Kevin Faulk is not a guy you want to get in a fight with.

That's why he punched the dude with Parkinson's first

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

colouring-in books.

The gently caress is this poo poo

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

iospace posted:

Mods?

Wait poo poo I am the mod.

Make that coward come explain this bullshit then

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Every sport except combat sports (and even that has a caveat) should be juiced to the gills.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

MourningView posted:

He's moved the definition of it around to fit whatever thing he's trying to prove at that given time. I don't think the post-Melo Nuggets were actually that much better though. They had the second best record in the west and made the conference finals in 08-09. They had a couple good regular season teams after he left but they always got bounced in the first round.

Does it only apply to basketball? Somehow I've legit never heard of this, I avoid Simmons very well. Would the Eagles count when they won the SB after Wentz going down?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

BWV posted:

the worst part of capitalism is that at least one person on earth needs money so badly they'd agree to have sex with Jason Whitlock.

Big bitches need love too craig

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

AsInHowe posted:

Late stage capitalism is a failure because I cannot pay five dollars to kick Darren Rovell's rear end

I'm sure any event he attends cant cost much more than that

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

General Dog posted:

Google “notre dame + scissor lift”

Why can we make jokes about that, but an engineering school loving up a bonfire is still taboo

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Only Aggies could manage to make a bonfire that killed 12 people without it even being on fire.

12th man pawl

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Sash! posted:

Yes. You get finger toes or toe fingers, not hand feet or foot hands.

I've met a lot of people in the military and machine shops that have literal toe fingers/thumbs. They make do.

Seeing them with gloves on is always funny though

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Hand Knit posted:

If we could keep discussion centred on sports journalism, that would be appreciated.

A stick to sports mandate in the thread titled after a site that died via a stick to sports mandate

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Hand Knit posted:

This falls comfortably under the auspices of 'sports journalism' in a way that discussing the functionings of the US health services industry does not.

When you look at how the NFLPA just on cases against Jacksonville for forcing players into arbitrary limits of care, Washingtons refusal of basic care, and other iterations of the same stories playing out based on lack of true healthcare in the country I think you'll find that you are incredibly wrong.

Fuethermore,

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

habeasdorkus posted:

I had a dream last night that the Deadspinners had retaken Deadspin and were posting stuff as a workers coop.

My dreams are so much better than real life.

I dont know if you mean co-op, coups, or like a chicken coop full of writers, and I'm honestly not sure which I'd prefer to imagine.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

BWV posted:

No that's more of him taking Lenin's corner after he died. Like when MJ was suspended by David Stern and Hakeem took over. Or like when Avon went to jail and Marlo now ran the west side.

I read this in an Ice T voice and now I hate you for it.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
This blog is making me so goddamn sad. I realized I seriously haven't sought out any sports media other than twitter since it died. gently caress.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Crazy Ted posted:

Yeah. I mean what would you rather have: an occasional ad read in a podcast, or something more PBS in style where there's almost never any ads but a random episode might consist of 20% content and 80%, "Please visit these sponsors and also send us money".

Any ad read that isnt Bill Burr is a bad ad read.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Dimebag posted:

Sometimes you are driving and could get a fine (can't be hosed risking a fine to hit the skip 15s button) or someone in the car/area is talking and would be rude to ignore them and skip ads.

"Hey google, skip thirty seconds ahead."

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Only if we can fill it with water first

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

I remember Mike Tyson always being listed as somewhere between 5'10" and six feet. My brother, who was 5'10", and me were ten feet away from him as he got out of his car outside of a strip club in Vegas. He was clearly shorter than my brother, it wasn't even close.

Hes probably 5'10. Theres a picture of him next to Joe Rogan, who is 5'8 and hes about 2" taller. I actually just had to google that, since I couldn't think of any other short people he might be pictured with.

Also mons venus is a shithole like every other tampa club but hilarious poo poo goes down there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Nybble posted:

when PFT commentator stared into the abyss, the abyss hired him

And then everyone jumped to defend him as being different when in the end hes the exact same, but smart enough to know its wrong.