Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Norm MacDonald is now writing articles for Grantland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

morestuff posted:

From what I understand, Woj is also weirdly aggressive and will e-mail people who disagree with/criticize him on Twitter.

I was actually reading the twitters of Zach Lowe and that guy from Sacramento who is now a national reporter whose name I forget and they both got really crusty with random guys on twitter insulting them. It's weird seeing grown men do that.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Please get fired Chris please get fired please get fired

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

So ESPN is adding Nate Silver, any thoughts? I'm vaguely familiar with him but have no real opinion.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

quote:

To start his day, Burke organizes his desk. He then organizes the games he wants to watch on the various monitors. He makes sure his three Mason jars are filled with water so he will not have to leave the room on the account of thirst. He keeps track of Twitter feeds, Deadspin and breaking news on a monitor he has programmed so he can keep abreast of the many things he needs to keep abreast of.

Sadly the article doesn't go into detail on the defecation situation.

Yeah it really is pretty sad, it reads like he wished on the monkey's paw to be paid to watch sports all day.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Crazy Ted posted:

For a cool longer story, check out this Guardian piece on the time one of the original NASL teams decided to spend their entire seven-month offseason playing around the world, with them winding up playing in 26 countries including Cyprus, Pakistan, Burma, and Vietnam during wartime.

This is awesome, thanks for sharing.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

I actually love these sorts of articles. That and the pool one were really interesting reads. Thanks for posting it.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

What the hell grantland

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Get your sad on and read this piece about Eddie Griffin: http://grantland.com/features/eddie-griffin-nba-life-death/

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

I really enjoyed this article about Chip Kelly: http://grantland.com/features/chip-kelly-philadelphia-eagles-nfl-influence/ Thought I'd post it here since the section on sports science and attitude towards practice is applicable to all sports. I would feel better if I knew that my favorite sportsketball teams were investing in this technology.

It mentions that a lot of these ideas originated, for whatever reason, in Australia. Here's an older interview that goes in depth about how one rugby S&C coach uses GPS and heartrate variability to monitor his athletes workloads: http://www.freelapusa.com/strength-and-power-coach-dan-baker-interview/ (scroll down a bit). It's very dry and technical but if that's your kind of thing it's worth a read.

chunkles fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Sep 6, 2014

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

That was pretty intense! I liked it.

In a somewhat similar vein but much less existential, here's an article about strongman competitions: http://grantland.com/features/worlds-strongest-man-andrew-palmer-seventh-brian-shaw/

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

morestuff posted:

Marc Stein and John Hollinger are/were fine reporters, so I'm not sure what you were looking for

They're not as extreme as Woj, but Stein and Amick both fawn over the Mavs and Rockets respectively, I assume for the same reasons.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Given how much everyone hated the NBA/movie mashup commercials from a few years ago I can't imagine this will go over well.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

So did I though, I didn't even question that article before it was corrected. I mean the child in us wants to believe that 3 on 3 basketball at the olympics will happen. Except for the fucker in the comments who complains about dunks and suggests that other, dunkless sports would be better candidates for inclusion.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

I'd argue that people who lift weights have a very good understanding of gravity

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Death Threats in Sports.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

I'm not on the Twitter so I can go weeks at a time without remembering that this dude exists and it's unsettling when I do.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

FuzzySkinner posted:

1.) He couldn't find a starbucks open sunday morning

Definitely a reason to burn everything to the ground and salt the earth if I've ever heard one.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

quote:

The most powerful black sportswriter in America launched into a long, strange monologue covering his favorite subjects: himself, his many enemies, and the unfair standards to which he believes he is held.

This makes him sound like the black sportswriter version of Richard Nixon

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Context for this?

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

edit wrong thread

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Rembert Browne is one of the few who can actually suck me into reading that stuff which I normally don't do. I'd hate for him to get sucked up into some giant pop culture website where I'll never read his stuff.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Geno posted:

my guess is ESPN will release BS from his contract early with some settlement + he can't talk poo poo about ESPN.

Simmons seems like the dude who'd finish out his contract specifically so he could talk poo poo about them later.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Skipper posted:

It’s going to be better for us to talk to each other and not go to the press.

No it's not, Bill. Go tell the TV how you feel about this.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

I mean I'm guessing there was a whole lot of poo poo internally leading up to the "suspend me" thing that we just don't know about yet.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

OctoberBlues posted:

Every time I read horse racing articles like that, I always think about that old Jerry Seinfeld routine about what's going through a horse's mind after a race.

"Oat bag, I get my oat bag now! Oat bag time for me!"

The world's most powerful and successful athlete, dripping with sweat, jogged back to his stable. His adulating fans patted him on his haunches, his jockey and employer hugged him and inhaled deeply from his mane. Upon his bed of hay lounged three mares of the highest breeding. Unfazed, he whinnied, "Fools, I just won the Triple Crown! Bring me my oat bag!" As his hooves pounded upon the dirt in the glare of the sun that afternoon in Elmort, it was not dreams of money or sex that motivated him. Neigh, the world's greatest athlete has always found refuge in the simple pleasure of the oat bag. And so they brought him his Versace oat bag lined with gold trim, and he thought, "oh gently caress yeah, bout to get my OAT on," and he did, chewing through nothing but the finest organic cruelty-free oats that money can buy until his hunger was sated.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

The headline is a hockey piece now, but get used to it because money.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

As Jason Whitlock once said, learn the rules so you'll know when and how to properly break them.

He also said some lucky lady is gonna feel a couple inches of pain tonight so he probably should've taken his own advice.

Copernic posted:

rough day for people pretending to be black

:thurman:

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Hahaha wow. If Woj's personality is anything like the opinion columns he puts out for agents, teams and players, that's gonna be a disaster.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Sash! posted:

The horses would just stand there eating grass and trying to gently caress because that's all horses do really

spending an afternoon eating and loving sounds like a major win to me

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Vertical Lime posted:

HBO is co-owned with Bleacher Report

I'm giving them ideas :ohdear:

huh, for some reason i thought HBO was an independent company.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

I wonder what the actual value of having Woj is. I mean, it's not like people are flocking to the site to read his opinion pieces

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Curt Schilling was a known turd for a long time though. Also he already deleted it. And I bet his account was just hacked!

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Simplex posted:

I feel like the best part of that exchange is that the 7% of Germans being Nazis isn't really even all that questionable. You take the number of registered members of the Nazi Party divide it by the population, boom, there's a number. How the gently caress you even begin to quantify a percentage of Muslim extremists I have no idea.

I believe the foremost scholars agree that image macros are the best place to obtain hard statistics like that, particularly if it's posted by your crazy racist relatives on Facebook along with a schizophrenically capitalized rant.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

ayn rand hand job posted:

Schilling has been suspended from the Little League World Series.

Man like the exact first thing Hitler did after seizing power was prevent his enemies from being at the Little League World Series.

lol

chunkles fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Aug 26, 2015

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

31 years ago is when dads became lazy indolent good for nothings and decided to start taking a day off for the birth of their child.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

ElwoodCuse posted:

Just about anything is fun if you're outside with your friends getting drunk

Even...even taking a poo poo on a golf course?

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

quote:

I asked Abdul-Jabbar if he sometimes wished he had played in the era of social media, if Twitter and Instagram might have given him a more ideal way to communicate with fans.

‘‘That would have been great,’’ he said. ‘‘It would’ve been nice to really be able to explain myself in the way I wanted to explain myself.’’

Man imagine how racist 1960s segregated twitter would have been

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

zakharov posted:

Jason Whitlock is extremely mad online.

Save his rear end from what though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

ChickenMedium posted:

The enmity of one Stephen A. Smith. It's dangerous!

Roving gangs of vigilante sports personalities taking vengeance on the athletes and writers who have wronged them