Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005

MorningView posted:

I suppose that would have worked too.

Nah, no punches pulled is probably better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005
I just can't believe that there is actually a group of people who legitimately care if someone wears a loving jersey to a goddamn baseball game

morestuff posted:

The "No Punches Pulled" tag on his site is especially appropriate, given the subject of his recent column.

:bustem:

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005

Grittybeard posted:

That might be this guy. If it is, the guy who wrote that won the pulitzer prize for commentary (much later).

I hope it's not the same guy. It probably is.

He got what he deserved. He's dead now.

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005
It's just funny that Reilly is trying to take the moral highground while basically saying that women can't be as good as men in sports.

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005
I've been ironically supporting the "move the Dodgers back to Brooklyn and contract the Mets" cause for years now, surprised that someone ripped me off

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005

A drat FOG posted:

You should call his mom

Sportswriters and/or Forbes writers are all old white men she is probably dead

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005
Why is Simmons so popular? Is it a Boston thing?

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005

BackInTheUSSR posted:

There are a few other sports journalists here, right? Has this profession made you hate sports as much as it has to me? When I started college I was this huge superfan homer and then I realized that everyone who goes to college for journalism is just doing it so they can watch their favorite teams in a press box and eat free food. Totally turned me off. I had some coworkers who got ejected from the press box for yelling at UCF's own players in anger. I enjoy writing about sports, but it's really hard for me to muster up any passion for sports anymore.

It didn't make me hate sports but I sure hated other journalists which sounds like your experience

Dick Williams fucked around with this message at 23:14 on May 11, 2011

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005
Over an hour calculating fips?? Amateur

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005
As long as deadspin doesn't post any more articles like that lovely attempt at a Fear and Loathing... style narrative about the accident at the Yale game tailgate

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005

stimpy posted:

I don't see any pressing reason for them to have released her name or anything, but why is everyone assuming that it was done for misogynistic reasons rather than just hoping that someone out there had some insight into what was probably a pretty interesting backstory?

Deadspin has always been misogynistic, most notably the Jen Sterger and Inez Sainz stories. Daulerio turned them into a retarded sports tabloid and they've embraced it

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005
They should care but they don't and they'll continue doing dumb and scummy things and roll with the punches of their criticism like they always have and always will because there's no such thing as bad publicity and morons eat this poo poo up

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005
The pitch type database at my job lets us leave notes and Lidge has my favorite note from back in 2008: "best slider in the game! NASTY"

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005

Crion posted:

Have you left a mean joke in Adenhart's record yet

:ninja:

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005
Speaking of US Curling gently caress JOHN SHUSTER

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005
I haven't listened to the interview but he's not wrong. Sports print journalism is dead and if the dude can't adapt or doesn't want to adapt he's making the right decision to just walk away. Bob Ryan is a typical Boston sports windbag but I kind of respect him for realizing his shortcomings and walking away.

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005

OrangeKing posted:

I just noticed this week that the radio show formerly known as Mike Dupp changed to Mike Zaun. What's up with that?

NBC was going to sue because he stopped doing the Mike'd Up show for them I think

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005
We Want Dupp

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005
That's like not even Bleacher Report analysis holy crap

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005
Canseco has always been a nutcase, just twitter lets us get it directly from the man himself

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005
Nothing like spring training time where the only inevitabilities are best shape of his life articles and journalists making believe they understand pitching mechanics

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

That whole thing was odd as heck, I was surprised to see Poz drinkin the Kool-Aid so hard on JoePa.

On one hand I can't really blame him all that much since I can't imagine that he felt very good about the fact that his book on Paterno was pretty much ruined, overshadowed by what happened. But on the other, letting personal bias get in the way of correct judgment is not a sign of a quality journalist so I lost a ton of respect for him after that whole thing.

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005

ButtView posted:

I think it had a lot less to do with his book and more to do with Paterno being someone he had admired for a really long time and gotten to know.

Most likely but still completely unacceptable

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005
The problem is that Posnanski is viewed as a consummate professional and a throwback to the journalists of yore. If that's your reputation and what your career is built on and you say to people things that are both unprofessional and inherently biased I'd say that's a fairly damning indictment and worthy of criticism

I like Posnanski a lot (he actually was nice enough to respond to an email of mine a few years ago when I was in-between jobs) but I just have a serious issue with how he handled the Paterno thing

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005
Just in case you wondered if fangraphs writers could embarrass themselves any more

http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/index.php/roto-riteup-september-7-2012/

"I don't know if I'll ever be known at all, but if I am, being called "that baseball writer guy who loves ponies" isn't so bad, really.”

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005
Yeah groucho goatsed him. I called him a retard and he ended up calling my mom. He told me in the phone conversation something to the effect of "I was on my computer with my seven year old daughter and suddenly on my screen there was a guy doing something with his rear end in a top hat and it was the most disgusting depraved thing I've ever seen" and I almost burst out laughing and said something like "Oh you got goatsed eh?" so I literally had a conversation with a best selling author about goatse

The best part of the whole thing was that in the cnn article he ended up writing he made believe he did some Serious Internet Detectiving to find the both of us when both of us at that point were using our full names as our twitter handles

Dick Williams fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Sep 24, 2012

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005

haljordan posted:

What was your mother's reaction? Please tell me she told him to get a life.

I was unemployed at the time and she originally thought that it was for a job interview. After I explained what happened to her reaction was a combonation of bemusement and absolute abject disappointment in her only son. I was at my ex-girlfriend's house at the time he called originally and she thought I was the worst person in the world for calling him a retard and ended up breaking up with me like a month after

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005

haljordan posted:

Did her expression go from joy at the possibility of you finding a job to one of "Jesus Christ, what the hell is wrong with this kid? He can't be mine."

It was kinda like "you don't have to be so mean to people" but after she read the article she thought he was an rear end in a top hat but mostly thinks its kinda funny at this point. And I ended up getting a job like a month later anyway so it didn't really matter in the end. She just didn't want her name attached to it because she's a grammar school teacher

Honestly, looking back on it, it's easily the most absurd thing that's ever happened to me and it was weird reading actual sportswriters taking passive aggressive shots at me on twitter after Craig Calcaterra posted on Hardball Talk the response I wrote on my old blog

Groucho Marxist posted:

He created a new twitter account as a girl who claimed went to high school with me. It was really obviously a fake and I gave him some fake information for the eventual threatening email he sent me. He also kept it active for a few months and tweeted other sportswriters telling them how good a writer Jeff Pearlman was.

I remember you mentioning it on twitter, loving hilarious

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005

MourningView posted:

Well this is just kinda sad.

He's a remarkably insecure, kinda weird dude. He invited me to some event he spoke at in NYC and he spoke about how players hated him and he has a gigantic chip on his shoulder for whatever reason and after speaking to him personally I kinda felt bad for him. He flipped about the retard thing because he has a mentally handicapped family member which is understandable but I mean it was literally a 3am drunk tweet which he found via searching his own name via twitter. Not that it makes it okay but if you're looking for trouble, don't be surprised if you find it, especially on the internet.

I'm still not entirely sure what he tried to accomplish trying to threaten me and groucho but whatever it was he sure came off looking ridiculous which is all we can ask for I guess. I don't think he expected us to respond to him at all or that we weren't like basement dwelling shut-ins

Dick Williams fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Sep 24, 2012

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005
I think the problem with Deadspin is that they can't decide whether or not they want to be a Serious Sports Reporting Website or a sports gossip site. So for all the good stuff they actually do put out, it gets invalidated by all the penis shots and people loving in bathroom stalls. Their overall product is very schizophrenic

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005
Francesa is very entertaining if you remember to not take him seriously at all. I mean when I'm back home I always drive listening to the FAN just because there's really nothing else worthwhile on the radio

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005
The older SABR dudes are wildly out of touch with current baseball thought. It's a really dumb article but honestly it's not really anything new in terms of the guys involved in the first wave of advanced thinking. Even Bill James is pretty far behind the times.

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005
This is obviously an acedote but after constantly reading about PED's and both sides of the argument I decided after Melky got popped to start taking a supplement that contains multiple ingredients banned by the MLB and the US Anti-Doping agency for A Future Blog Post (under doctor's supervision) just to personally see how large of an improvement these banned substances give to an average person, let alone a professional athlete. Without spoiling too much (because I obviously want to write this thing and I'm still in the process of working on it), in the past two and a half months since I started, my exercises have improved tenfold (both in quality and length) the recovery time is substantially less, I've lost significant fat while gaining lean mass (from 260 to 235), and my blood pressure has decreased from 130/90 to 110/80. I'm starting to appreciate how much benefit these substances can give, and these aren't even steroids or illegal supplements so I can see why they might be A Big Deal to some

Dick Williams fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Nov 10, 2012

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005

Badfinger posted:

That is a really interesting idea, good on you.

Is the supplement something prescribed, or over the counter? Do you mind divulging what your secret muscle juice is or is that giving it away (I am not planning on writing any articles)?

Over the counter and readily available online, I found it YLLS. The main banned supplement is DMAA and a testosterone booster but there's a couple of other goodies in it, I'll probably have it written in the next week or so and then I'm gonna see if anyone's interested in running it

Dick Williams fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Nov 10, 2012

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005
Missed your second question, I was in the process of losing weight so I have six or seven months of exercise logs to compare to the past three or so and they're really like night and day. A lot of it could be placebo, some of it might not, but there is a control built in. They'll be pictures and stuff too! I'm really excited about it

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005
Turner bought BR so it makes perfect sense. Welcome to hell.

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005
I'm like 99% sure at this point that Cameron's entire purpose as an 'analyst' is to sell fWAR as the be all and end all stat for Appelman even though everyone knows it's a joke. There's just no way it makes sense any other way

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005

ManifunkDestiny posted:

Meanwhile, there's this piece lamenting baseball nerds destroying "the national pass time" [sic]

Apparently someone read this and took it to heart

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005
I have no problem with the idea of debate in sports analysis but the problem is that ESPN has created caricatures who constantly espouse incorrect and ignorant talking points and end up spending hours upon hours proselytizing their intentionally controversial talking points. The point that was getting missed by ESPN, and it seems like this new guy kind of "gets it", is that debate is not allowing two people to be intentionally antagonistic to each other and being allowed to say whatever they want without any facts to back anything up.

And more importantly, it's probably not even in ESPN's best interest to 'fix' the problem. Contemporary media is about page views and getting the public to talk about the product and since there's no such thing as bad publicity, they really don't care how stupid or ignorant their talking heads come off because it still keeps people talking about their shows, which leads to people tuning in because they want to hear what other stupid crap these people are going to say.

I read a lot about how people like Skip Bayliss are 'idiots' but honestly guys like Skip are tremendously intelligent people. Their brand isn't built on them being knowledgeable, just their skill at getting people to a) talk about them and b) get people really angry. In the current media climate, for better or for worse, that skill is immeasurably valuable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005
My favorite fact is that Hawk Harrelson is a former White Sox General Manager. That just blows my freakin' mind every time I think about it