Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
holy moly this is a real piece of work

money quote:

quote:

Also, consider their general profile: These largely are very young men whose talent has afforded them shelter and structure most of their lives. They are people for whom "hard work" equates to lifting weights and running sprints; for whom "commitment" means adhering to a loose daily schedule that tells them when to wake, when to eat, when to think; for whom "adversity" means being .500 midway through a season and somehow making the playoffs.

They know little of the real world and its gravity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
it is kind of fun watching the death throes of an industry

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Surely if anyone would get fired it would be the editor, no?

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Deadspin is mostly garbage, even moreso now that all the Gawker sites are increasingly cross posting content (at best 2/3 of the posts on Deadspin are actually sports related), but they still do some good poo poo. They had a really good summary of the impending NBA lockout recently.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Crazy Ted posted:

It's funny how Gawker can't seem to figure out why its traffic has decreased by about 60% over the last year, which just about coincides with the company starting the practice of cross-posting things over all of their websites so you really only have to visit one Gawker Media site to see anything that might interest you.

Also probably doesn't help that they've gone overboard with the "here's a hot deal for [merchandise]!!!" posts. There are three of them on the first page of Deadspin right now. I dunno if they get kickbacks for this poo poo but it's becoming obnoxious.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
It's really pathetic how much a petulant man-child he is.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
At its core, journalism is mostly just glorified gossip so it's not terribly surprising that journalists, by and large, are petty children.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Ribsauce posted:

Do you really think that isn't sarcasm? Also, he is probably right in that they are not playing RG3 because if he gets injured again they have to pay him 16 million next year.

I suspect it has more to do with saving face at this point. They've made it painfully clear that they want to move on from RG3, so if they put him back on the field (he's medically cleared) and he performs well (or at the very least, better than Cousins) then Washington is in a really awkward position.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

So It Goes posted:

Taking the article at face value, he told the people to not tell anyone they were leaving until they left. This is, in fact, a "douche" move regardless of at-will employment. The standard is to submit a two-weeks notice when employees leave at-will employment to let the company find/hire/train a replacement. Simmons apparently demanded they not submit a notice.

Are you dumb or just being intentionally obtuse? This isn't anywhere near to a "standard" situation, so whatever Stockholm Syndrome engendered protocol you think applies here is irrelevant.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

euphronius posted:

You are talking about defamation which is unlawful not illegal.

bruh

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

soggybagel posted:

Its weird that you like Whitlock.

It's weird that he has the kind of giddy crush on Whitlock that an 11 year old girl might have on One Direction.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

DJExile posted:

Ben Bolch ✔@latbbolch
Mark Cuban on misreporting about DeAndre Jordan: "You mean Chris Broussard? He's an idiot. I take that back. My sources say he's an idiot."

lmao

God this is such a sweet burn

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Kind of ironic considering how much of a corporate shill Gladwell is.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
itt prescriptivists get mildly annoyed

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
If Crazy Ted had just waited a few hours, his list would've included an article about fingering your butthole.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Cup stacking is cool to watch but christ what a completely useless skill.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Vertical Lime posted:

A twitter account everyone who's ever had a wrong hot take should fear

https://twitter.com/OldTakesExposed

yessssssss

https://twitter.com/JoeESPN590/status/406941524182568960

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
gently caress me, you gotta be one hell of a dumb motherfucker to get rich eisen to call you out

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Yeah it's frustrating how they very clearly favor certain major sports over others. Like the other day they put up a long effort post detailing Messi carving up some scrub-tier La Liga team, but then last night Russell Westbrook put up a stat line the likes of which haven't been seen in almost three decades and it doesn't even get a mention.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Rick Reilly is such a goddamn turd and I will guiltlessly celebrate his death.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Has Japan been riding a wave of abnormally high talent? Because two silvers and a gold over the last five years seems like more than "maybe" top tier.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
darren rovell is proof that the field of artificial intelligence still has a looooooooooong way to go

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
really curious to see how deep this rabbit hole of complete and utter lack of gymnastics knowledge goes

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
speaking of american gymnasts this still gets me hyped as gently caress

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNG0QJw7-4A

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Hey who knows, maybe if we get the worst of the worst all on one show it'll lead to the heat death of the hot take.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Lockback posted:

He has a white birth mother and was raised by white adoptive parents, so (race) traitor is a pretty charged insult. I'd like to believe that wasn't how it was meant....

speaking of which, let's take a moment to reflect on this strong front-runner for bad sports tweet of the year:

https://twitter.com/ReillyRick/status/708302447563804672?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
This whole article is kind of a wandering morass of blather but this one quote in particular is so incredibly stupid:

quote:

There are, in fact, people who can support the Duncan way with data. A small but growing number of experts keep databases of NBA injuries. And when I reached out by phone to one injury analyst -- who spoke on condition of anonymity for fear of losing work he does for the league -- he said something mind-blowing: The NBA has a 100 percent injury rate. Every NBA player, he said, is injured now, or will be if he keeps playing long enough. You might imagine that a player who went 50 or 100 healthy games had acquired a body that had adjusted to the league. "No," says this guy.

I guess it might be mind-blowing if you've never played sports in your entire life. And also are an idiot.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
At this rate soon all that will be left is the hot take cadre, and their density will eventually cause the network to collapse in on itself.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Ramadu posted:

Ah yes the overrated 3 point shot in which the cavs shot 24 of last night.

made*

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

soggybagel posted:

I'm not sure what's worse. If Clay Travis is just a loving dipshit or he is knowingly acting like a dipshit for a persona.

Yes

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Jackie D posted:

Wheres that guy who used to always show up to insist his radio show used to be good

Hopefully finally overcame his battered wife syndrome.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

DJExile posted:

I mean, yeah gently caress MSU but she'd be far from the first person to be getting repeated bills from a medical institution and a very likely automated billing system.

And that it excuses it...how? It’s been well over a year since MSU “found out” about this poo poo. If they were the least bit competent they would’ve immediately done an audit of who his patients were and made drat sure nothing this loving stupid happened.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Ah yes, I’m sure it would make her feel a lot better to know it was just incompetent indifference rather than malice.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
I mean if you want I can go back and edit my post to italicize, bold and underline “If they were the least bit competent”

Burn MSU to the ground

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Haisley has really outdone himself and I’m laughing so hard at how much he’s getting ripped to shreds in the comments.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

sportsgenius86 posted:

I'd imagine The Athletic signed Reilly to try to lure old farts into subscribing. Reilly is a loving moron but old people still like him for whatever reason.

Old people are also morons, that’s why.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Somehow that dipshit Haisley will survive this.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Ta-Nehisi Coates’s blog on the Atlantic used to have an amazing comments section. Pretty sure one of the regular commenters actually ended up getting hired to write for the Atlantic.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

DJExile posted:

This is what literally every bankruptcy procedure/purchase is though, that's not a new thing.

What does that have to do with the price of tea in China? Are you arguing that because it is a common thing that it shouldn't be called out? I don't understand where you're going with this. If people don't call bullshit on it at every turn because "that's the way things are" then it's never going to stop being a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
You really need to click through on the HamNo story though, it's not what you think.