Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Alpha3KV posted:

Michael Wilbon wrote an article about Chicago's reputation as a cursed sports town, which is a reputation I was never aware of:
http://espn.go.com/chicago/nba/story/_/id/7900380/injuries-chicago-bulls-derrick-rose-chicago-bears-jay-cutler-enhance-city-legend-curses
A town which just won the Stanley Cup 2 years ago and the World Series 7 years ago is cursed guys. Never mind our 6 NBA titles in the 90s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

R.D. Mangles posted:

I didn't read the article, but the only cursed team is the Cubs. It is silly to claim that Chicago won a world series 7 years ago because the White Sox winning was pretty much the worst thing to happen to Cubs fans. Everyone does forget that until 2005, the White Sox and Cubs had the two longest championship droughts in all of American professional sports (Red Sox fans are infinitely louder).
Even as a Cub fan, he's still invoking this year's clubs as not good enough to break out of this (1 1/2 year) 'Championship Funk', so in the context of the article, the White Sox winning would still be considered a 'good' thing for the city.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

KG calls Philly fans fair-weathered, Philly journalist replies, 'Well Boston is racist!'

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/deep-sixer/KG-fair-weather-beats-bigotry-any-day.html

quote:

You think we’re the fair weather type, do you? Ok, to that I say that it’s better to be fair weather than to be anything remotely akin the cretins that unleashed their racist vitriol via Twitter upon Washington Capitals defenseman Joel Ward, a Black hockey player, last month after he eliminated Boston’s Bruins from the NHL playoffs with an overtime goal.

Can’t really call this an isolated incident, my friend, not unless you believe that those clowns were gathered together in some sort of Bruins/Skinheads gathering and, after their team went down, they all took to Twitter once Ward drove the stake through Boston’s heart.

No, this wasn’t the whole Boston fan base, not at all. But it’s not a coincidence that Bill Russell, the biggest sports winner in the history of Boston sports, absolutely loathed the city and a fan base that he saw as racist.

His words, not mine.

So my advice to you, KG, is that you’re better off winning this series, the next one and then the next. Because if you let those stalwart fans down, who knows what they’ll unleash on you. We do know what they are capable of.

Take that how you want.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

When I think of asses, something comes over me.

quote:

No one looks better in the rear view than Dontari Poe, the NFL's new gold standard in badonkadonk. At the combine, the 346-pound nose tackle from Memphis made scouts' hearts race after he ran a 4.98 40-yard dash in a pair of impossibly large compression shorts. Instantly, Poe's bouncing, bodacious bubble butt (also referred to in scouting parlance as the shelf, high rear end, assy, great hips, the crevice and the timeless classic "big enough to land airplanes on") turned the usually taciturn fraternity of football scouts into a chatty horde of Sir Mix-a-Lots.

Adds Yankees teammate Nick Swisher: "Your legs and your butt take the swing. Look at a guy like Albert Pujols. He's not a monster dude up top, but he's a monster guy down low. Alex Rodriguez, Ken Griffey Jr., Sammy Sosa, Hank Aaron -- all monster legs and rear end."

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/8132777/david-fleming-importance-athlete-butt-espn-magazine

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Jeff Passan posted:

On June 21, the Marlins had lost six of seven games and fallen two games under .500. Loria decided it was an appropriate time to give the team a pep talk. One player there called it "possibly the worst speech I've ever heard." The Marlins lost that day and then four of their next five.

The Heat's first playoff game was April 28. They won the NBA championship June 21. For every home game between those dates, the Marlins averaged a crowd of 28,194. When the Marlins and Heat played at home on the same day, that number dropped less than 2 percent, to 27,729.

What have the Marlins drawn at home on the dates outside of the NBA playoffs? Exactly 28,774 per game, and if you want a more realistic idea of an average game, take away opening day – the only sellout the Marlins have been able to muster in their supposed must-see ballpark – and the number dips to 28,402. In other words, the difference between a regular Marlins game and one on a day in which the Heat hosted a playoff game was 208 fans after opening day, 673 fans including that game.
And considering tickets for the next three Marlins home games are going for $2.50, $2.50 and $2 apiece, it's not like those 673 people had a great reason to stay away.

It's a testament, actually, to the people of Miami, who are either so sickened by the Marlins or ambivalent toward them that neither a campaign of glitz nor an offseason of spin could lure them into this den of blood money.

The Florida Marlins owners whined, and they brayed, and they swore up and down that they couldn't afford the new stadium necessary to raise their payroll from embarrassing levels and compete annually. And they got it, the vast majority on the taxpayer's teat no less, this gleaming new gem from which they would fatten their pockets by taking all of the ticket and concession and parking and advertising sales, every last cent, no matter how unseemly that felt.

To allay fears, they changed their name to the Miami Marlins, their colors to a rainbow vomiting, their image to reflect the city, hot enough that the New Yorker would profile them and Showtime would broadcast a documentary on them and free agents Jose Reyes and Mark Buehrle and Heath Bell would take the money. People actually bought into the thing, recognized them as a real team and not just some affiliate run by a couple of swindlers who had already screwed Montreal and were primed to do the same to another city.
Jeff Passan really hates Jeffrey Loria.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

This is the picture Jon Morosi is using for a Roy Oswalt article:

Sports journalism.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

BackInTheUSSR posted:

I really like Pos and want to support him but $30 is a lot of money for a book that barely scratches the only topic anyone wants to read about.
The book is around $14-16 just about anywhere you look online.

Bonus points if you buy the audio book - read by Joe Mantegna.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I really liked it, and the design was neat. It's starting to become a trend I'm seeing with websites though, those types of scrolling tricks/designs. Hopefully it doesn't become too played out.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

It would need to be an audiobook in true Studs Terkel fashion.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Crazy Ted posted:

What about "hornswaggled"?
Wrong sport.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Those projections are hilariously optimistic.

Aaron Cook being a positive asset in the year 2013 amongst other things.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Buzz posted:

but Gucci men's clothing best represents who I want to be and have become—rocker, edgy, tight, bad boy, hip, stylish, flamboyant, unafraid, raging against the conformity that submerges us into boredom and blandness and the sexless saggy sackcloths that most men walk around in like zombies without the cinematic excitement of engorging flesh.
Probably the most poetic and saddest way to say you're going through a midlife crisis.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

It's interesting that Buzz Bissinger would take an interest in Basketball when he wrote that it is hard for white people to get into the game because of the lack of race representation.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Carlos Ruiz missing an entire month of the season plus Eric Kratz is going to be the third best catching unit in the league.

Oh, and every team has a good center fielder.

Harlock fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Mar 27, 2013

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Ah yes, anyone who longs for the halcyon days of Baseball can't resist tying in politics.

Whatever happened to the predictability, the milk man, evening TV?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I wonder what Verducci would say regarding the Phillies anemic offense partly due to guys who strike out a lot and don't walk.

"Not enough clutch hitters"

"Needs more grinders"

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I gotta develop some sort of card to give anyone that disparages Joe Mauer.

5th in active players for OBP%, top 50 all time (all positions), 2nd all time catcher (minimum 1000 games). 2nd all time OPS+ catcher (minimum 1000 games), #5 all time wOBA, #4 all time wRC+ for a catcher.

Basically the list goes on and on.

Harlock fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Apr 24, 2013

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

It's a neat piece and I'm not shocked at all by how scummy the Knicks FO is, but did it really need to acknowledge the ambient music? That's an odd writing style that doesn't really add much to the piece. He's a regular guy who likes adult contemporary?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

"We don't get fooled again. Don't get fooled again."

Pete Townshend, "Won't Get Fooled Again"

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I've never visited a CBS site to get any Baseball information. Although I've seen Knobler on Twitter.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

It actually loads and reads faster than the old ESPN did on my computer, but the design is pretty garbage.

There's very little to no flow and your eye is drawn all over the place. Also articles sometimes don't have a complete beginning or end as you can just keep scrolling.

Frames all over the place.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

ElwoodCuse posted:

Has Cuban actually succeeded at anything besides "cashing out before the bubble burst"?
Shark Tank is really fun and cool

I would say his general appeal stems from being a sort of 'everyman' despite being worth 3 billion dollars

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Speaking of the body issue, here's the two best words in capitalism: corporate synergy

http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/13223119/marvel-super-hero-edition

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Jason Whitlock loves the Dennis system.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Was Bill Simmons ever a unique voice? He was your typical sports radio talk show caller turned writer

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

If Woj is powerful enough to have his own site and stuff just for hot scoops and rumors - why hasn't an NFL writer broke free yet? Ala Schefter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Succinct and instant news is what people want with easily digestible takes.

Longform journalism and analysis is dead.