Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

leokitty posted:

King Kaufman left Salon to work at Bleacher Report, he is the "manager of writer development".

Good luck to him but unless they're going to start paying people I don't see how the quality will improve a whole lot.

There is also some rumbling that this happened because Google said they're going to start docking content dump sites in the rankings.

Thank God about the Google news. Trying to look for IT solutions on google these days really shows how bad I am at my job shows how many bullshit websites there are out there. Seriously, gently caress Experts Exchange.

I hope Kaufman can do something for Bleacher Report. It would be a shame for a website with that much reach to be this bad indefinitely. It is like Game FAQs for sports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

FuzzySkinner posted:

ESPN is about to enter a new era in competition.

I honestly believe NBCSN is one big contract away from being relevant (NASCAR anyone?).

Fox Sports already has some good deals going on itself.

CBS Sports? I'm not sure. They don't have poo poo on their network as it stands right now, but that could change.

So, yes. They're really investing in perhaps the worst sorts of people right now. They should be listening to what Simmons has to say, not fining him.

This also means that bullying the on-air/writers talent is a mistake. They can't do what they did tried to do to Dan Patrick back in the day, because there's 3 other alternatives licking their chops for talent, and a name to stamp on their brand.

In the end guys like Cowherd, Bayless and SAS are a dime a dozen. You can stick any idiot in a chair, hand him some talking points and let him go to town. And that's exactly what will happen the mere second any of those goofballs drop some sort of racist/sexist/homophobic comment. You'll see them whisked away, and some other idiot will be put in the same exact chair.

Guys like Simmons, SVP, Dan Patrick are not.

Does anyone else watch The Lights on NBCSN? I had quit watching sports shows on TV almost entirely (I've just been relying on the internet for everything) until I stumbled on it recently. I know it's been on for quite a while but I enjoy that they show a lot more actual sports than Sports Center.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Mar 15, 2013

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Ribsauce posted:

I think it was in the NFL media thread, but there was a discussion about how what is really killing them is Twitter. I love Schefter, he breaks as many stories as anyone not named Jay Glazer, except with the bonus you don't have to read 284 MMA tweets a day. 15 years ago I would have had to watch ESPN for 30 minutes until his studio hit came up and I could find out who signed with what team that day, now I can hop on twitter and get it all in 2 minutes, right when I want it. Same with the NBA, in 2 minutes of Woj's twitter feed I can find out more than I can watching ESPN for an entire hour long Sportscenter. Hell, I don't even have to go to ESPN.com anymore. If Schefter says "Peyton Manning signs with Broncos, link to story: espn.com/whocares" the link is going unclicked. I do not need any more information than he gave me in 1 sentence.

The other big thing you got 15 years ago were highlights. Now I can go to youtube and see LeBron James leap over 3 guys and unleash a chaos dunk 5 minutes after it happens. I don't need to watch 15 minutes of coverage for a sport I don't care about (example baseball) to get to the Top 10.

The major sports websites are pretty exceptional now, too. I'm not a big hockey fan but I found myself watching more hockey than ever this season after discovering the 5 minute recap videos. MLB.com has its "Must C" section which you can just browse to see all the clips you'd see on Sportscenter and then you don't have to go far if you want to see more from that game.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Vintimus Prime posted:

Oh wow didn't see that one coming at all

It looks like they're laying off a lot of their longest tenured reporters. Probably trying to cut payroll from the top down.