Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

morestuff posted:

The bottom line would argue otherwise.

What's the huge spike in mid-2010? The Jerry Jones drunk video?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Crazy Ted posted:

Want to see what passed for Sports-Illustrated-Level writing in 1957?

SURE YOU DO!

Sportswriting. Sportwriting never changes.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

leokitty posted:

Ted Williams actually sat out and got dinged up quite a bit in the middle/end stages of his career

The only thing that could stop Ted Williams from playing baseball was an uncontrollable urge to shoot down Nazis :911:

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Anyone else getting a placeholder page instead of Grantland?

edit: the link from the ESPN main page works but grantland.com is expired

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

All the change did was make my Firefox freeze for about thirty seconds before any Gawker/Deadspin/etc. page loaded.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

They really need to put Finebaum on Around the Horn sometime.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Grantland is reviewing anime video games now. Take that for what it's worth.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

morestuff posted:

A friend recently told me Cam Newton didn't deserve rookie of the year because he didn't "lead enough fourth quarter drives." Weirdly enough, his pick wasn't Tebow either.

Was his choice Andy Dalton? He's the darling of the JWG school of thought among rookies since this was Tebow's second year.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Where else would you read about Nelly's song about lovely bowl games?

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

BackInTheUSSR posted:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7829016/boston-red-sox-swoon-product-sustained-mlb-success

noted alarmist Howard Bryant clearly understands sample size. even if the basic point of the article is true - teams inevitably rebuild - it's a kneejerk piece coming off the heels of what he thinks is an absolutely soul-crushing, team-destroying defeat to Mike Napoli

I haven't slept much and I read "alarmist" as "alchemist" and then I thought about how much cooler that article would have been.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

seiferguy posted:

Lebron had 13 assists in Game 5, doesn't seem very selfish to me :colbert:

Not aggressive enough.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

ChampRamp posted:

Yeah, I'm certain the college football games on FX will be moving to FS1, but the rights to the playoff games are secured by ESPN until 2026, so they'll be in control of the big games for quite some time. Would be cool to see it on Fox, though.

Fox was pretty terrible when they had the BCS though. gently caress Thom Brennaman forever.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

FuzzySkinner posted:

I'd love to see NBCSN have him and Patrick host a Faux-Sportscenter show on the network.

But yeah, just Keith? Eh, not really.

I thought the gimmick of NBCSN's highlights show was that there was no host saying dumb poo poo over the highlights. I haven't seen it because I don't get the channel anymore, but the advertising made it look like the Premier League Review Show that they show on FSN sometimes where it's just a series of clips with the original commentary.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

uublog posted:

And it's a shame that Playmakers didn't work for whatever reason, because it's something I'd really like to see done well by someone, somewhere

Have you seen the British drama Dream Team, which follows the trials and tribulations of Harchester United Football Club?

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Joe Posnanski did a pretty scathing takedown of the 60 Minutes report on the A-Rod/Biogenesis stuff:

http://joeposnanski.com/joeblogs/the-60-minutes-report/

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

morestuff posted:

What exactly am I looking at, here?

Duke is Vito Corleone?

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Benne posted:

I mentioned before in this thread and elsewhere that I was a regular writer at SB Nation.

Today I got a call from my boss, who had to deliver bad news of budget cuts and slashed hours.

Guess who was the odd man out :smith:

That sucks dude. Good luck finding a new gig!

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

R.D. Mangles posted:

Has someone told this guy how ridiculously hilarious his self-written bio blurb is?

Get this man a Something Awful Forums Account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

I had to stop reading the 22 goals articles. I like the idea and the stories are compelling, but Phillips has some tendencies that I find annoying and over the course of that many articles at that length they really shine through.