Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ocean8
Mar 13, 2007
Yes... a Chimpanzee Minkey
Awesome! Glad to see it's back!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shotgun Jones
May 19, 2003

by Ozmaugh
remember, it's a station for everything! what you enjoy may not be enjoyed by someone else...so just sit back, enjoy, and don't be a whiny bitch (after all, it *is* free music!)

Shotgun Jones fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Aug 11, 2010

Delzuma
Dec 4, 2004

I can't get fstream via the app store (looks like it's been pulled). Any other options for iPhone come to mind? I just tried tuner and it didn't work.

Muscular Typist
Oct 11, 2004

Keru posted:

But, then again, I listen to Merzbow, so what do I know?

What the hell is wrong with you?

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

Sataren posted:

What the hell is wrong with you?

Shut up, Merzbow is awesome! You're lucky we haven't had a marathon like last time...

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.

Delzuma posted:

I can't get fstream via the app store (looks like it's been pulled). Any other options for iPhone come to mind? I just tried tuner and it didn't work.

I use Waft. You can paste in custom URLs or import playlist files through iTunes.

FAT-N-GAY-4-PAY
Sep 22, 2005
Just want to chime in and say that I`m super impressed with the overall functionality, usability of the website. It's look and functions great (as far as I can tell).

Great job everyone involved!

Professor Murda
Sep 15, 2002

Oh sweet, we're finally live! I'm headed out on a road trip in a few minutes, and I'll be streaming the station the whole way on my phone, most likely.

Delzuma
Dec 4, 2004

Nihiliste posted:

I use Waft. You can paste in custom URLs or import playlist files through iTunes.

Thanks, I'll give that a shot when my new phone arrives as it's os4 only and i still haven't updated my 3G.

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."
This is excellent!
I honestly had no idea this was a thing. Glad I can have another outlet for sharing and finding some new tunes.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

This is pretty cool! I wonder how quickly I'll be going between "this is some good poo poo" and "gently caress my ears", though. :v:

Cercueil
Sep 21, 2006

Nice, I never thought I'd see this come back.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Did bees.mp3 or eepquack.mp3 survive the move over? They were the best thing about GBSFM.

Thanks for bringing it back!

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

RBA Starblade posted:

This is pretty cool! I wonder how quickly I'll be going between "this is some good poo poo" and "gently caress my ears", though. :v:

Very.

I knew GBS-FM was live when I logged on this morning and saw the number of listeners at 50+. Awesome!

Also:

delfin posted:

3) SEARCH THE gently caress FIRST! before uploading.

and

Kilonum posted:

4) Make sure your poo poo is PROPERLY TAGGED.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Well I'm trying to upload a song but I can't seem to connect.

I'm trying to connect with Filezilla. For the host I'm using gbs.fm, the username and password I'm using my own, and the port is 2100. Is that all correct or am I messing something up?

e:

quote:

To the FTP? There was an issue some time back about usernames with spaces in. We'll look into it.

Ah, bummer. Well, if you get it working I have some stuff I can add.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Aug 11, 2010

newsomnuke
Feb 25, 2007

GBS-FM is awesome, but it does need a trial period of a couple weeks before you can be sure whether it's your thing or not. When I first joined it was the middle of a Dragonforce block, and had I kept my initial impression I would probably have never stuck around and discovered so many crazy genres and artists.

Now all let's go and find that cat.

RBA Starblade posted:

Well I'm trying to upload a song but I can't seem to connect.
To the FTP? There was an issue some time back about usernames with spaces in. We'll look into it.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Delzuma posted:

On my iPad I just hit the listen link on the site (in safari) and it starts streaming. Maybe try that?

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005

C. E. Croix posted:

Nice, I never thought I'd see this come back.

It never really left, it's just that you had to be paying close attention in IRC to know what was up.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

Nihiliste posted:

It never really left, it's just that you had to be paying close attention in IRC to know what was up.

I'm actually proud to say that this was already up and running (albeit in a horrendously elementary form) when the old one went down - there was no downtime in between the two whatsoever.

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.
This really is awesome, hearing a whole bunch of poo poo that I'd never have heard otherwise.

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.
Oh wow. Glad to see this again! I've been missing my daily dose of Don't Stop Believin' and Dixie.

Corley
Feb 2, 2010

I'm listening right now, this is really nifty.

Jormagund
Jul 17, 2005
Totally gay for Puffery
Despite the box at the bottom of the playlist looking like a chat area we all hang around on IRC. Come dip your toes in the pool of our insanity #gbs-fm on buttesnet.

Absolutely spiffing to see all the fresh meat.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
I can pretty much blame 90% of my musical taste on GBS-FM at this point. Some of that might be Stockholm syndrome, but who knows.

Looking forward to how many of the new people stay after being exposed to Bob Pokosy, post-rave in general, Dahv, and to a lesser extent Venetian Snares (I like Venetian Snares but it took me a year or so of listening to GBS-FM).

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Jormagund posted:

Despite the box at the bottom of the playlist looking like a chat area we all hang around on IRC. Come dip your toes in the pool of our insanity #gbs-fm on buttesnet.

Absolutely spiffing to see all the fresh meat.

buttesnet? I can't find that on a server list.

Also liking this so far, it's a great idea for broadening your taste or at the very least finding out what other people are into.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
Venetian Snares is kind of an accquired taste; my first exposure to it was listening to nothing but Venetian Snares at home for three or four days and I think it broke me. But don't worry, most of the music played on gbs.fm is usually totally tolerable!

oh, as an aside: spoken word isn't allowed! I guess they forgot to mention that!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Never heard of GBS Radio before; this is pretty awesome.

What are the legal ramifications of uploading music to this thing? Not trolling, seriouspost. Given how long this thing has been around, apparently, I have to assume someone's done their homework by now; it'd be great to see some kind of statement on the website indicating what the legal framework is for doing this.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005

JustFrakkingDoIt posted:

You have to add it manually.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

irc.buttes.org :)

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
Something we forgot to mention in the OP, don't upload non-music, this includes spoken-word. It gets banned and skip'd if played. If you feel this is draconian or whatever, please realise we've had this discussion to death in the previous years and it was locked in place back then.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

JustFrakkingDoIt posted:

Also liking this so far, it's a great idea for broadening your taste or at the very least finding out what other people are into.

irc.buttes.org

And yeah, nothing will jam a crowbar into your musical taste and crack it wide open like gbs-fm!

Fig Newton
Oct 29, 2005

ultra-inquisitor posted:

GBS-FM is awesome, but it does need a trial period of a couple weeks before you can be sure whether it's your thing or not. When I first joined it was the middle of a Dragonforce block, and had I kept my initial impression I would probably have never stuck around and discovered so many crazy genres and artists.

I had Rush at first, and I was, like, "Awesome! Rush!" but then it was "Mammary Sex from Wiki", and I kept looking furtively over my shoulder to make sure my 80-year-old mother wasn't listening, which is stupid because she lives, like, 50 miles away and is completely housebound. But still. Such was the impact.

But today I learned what a pearl necklace is.
I love the Internet, you learn so much.

Fig Newton
Oct 29, 2005

Keru posted:

Something we forgot to mention in the OP, don't upload non-music, this includes spoken-word. It gets banned and skip'd if played. If you feel this is draconian or whatever, please realise we've had this discussion to death in the previous years and it was locked in place back then.

Does this include the "Mammary Sex from Wiki" I just listened to? Or is that being grandfathered in?

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

Keru posted:

See also: noise. No, we won't ban it, it's music.

edit:

Fig Newton posted:

Does this include the "Mammary Sex from Wiki" I just listened to? Or is that being grandfathered in?

Yes, it's just spoken word so it goes. (Though it was pretty funny)

Jormagund
Jul 17, 2005
Totally gay for Puffery
Yeah, it was skip-banned

There is however no sfw rule. Pretty much anything goes as long as it is music, so you will hear grindcore, racism and even worse Christian Weston Chandler

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Fig Newton posted:

I just banned and skipped it, so no. If you find a dong that is non-music, report it as such and a mod will look into it. This goes for any kind of mixup, be they duplicates, mistags or just plain untagged dongs, always report them.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?

Fig Newton posted:

But today I learned what a pearl necklace is.
I love the Internet, you learn so much.

Now listen to Pearl Necklace by ZZ Top with your new open eyes.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
I only listened to the old version in like its final year, but this is the best news ever.

Everyone should expand their horizons and learn to hate other goons simultaneously with this beautiful service.

Coral Reefer
Feb 19, 2005

I touched a clown and now I am going to jail. I hope they let me keep my beard.
Grimey Drawer
GBS.fm is the poo poo. Holy crap!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ormy
Apr 5, 2005
I am so happy right now.

• Locked thread