Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
newsomnuke
Feb 25, 2007

GBS-FM is awesome, but it does need a trial period of a couple weeks before you can be sure whether it's your thing or not. When I first joined it was the middle of a Dragonforce block, and had I kept my initial impression I would probably have never stuck around and discovered so many crazy genres and artists.

Now all let's go and find that cat.

RBA Starblade posted:

Well I'm trying to upload a song but I can't seem to connect.
To the FTP? There was an issue some time back about usernames with spaces in. We'll look into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

newsomnuke
Feb 25, 2007

Socks was flakely mainly because I was hosting it on my terrible connection/computer that liked to hibernate at night, but it's been rewritten and is now hosted on the GBSFM server.

edit: socks is the IRC bot that lets you mess about with GBSFM from the safety of your IRC client! Come into #gbs-fm and try typing @add pain!

newsomnuke
Feb 25, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

No, this makes sense and it's a good precaution. It'd be good to have it say as much on the site, or (especially) give you a message if you try to add another song but aren't allowed, that says why...
You should get a message at the top of the page in yellow, but it disappears after a couple seconds.

newsomnuke
Feb 25, 2007

Cemetry Gator posted:

What gets a song banned?

And does voting affect anything, like really low ratings making a song banned?
Low votes don't affect anything. Aside from the aforementioned reasons, I can only think of one dong that was banned for reasons of taste: that dong had a recorded interview with a paedophile child-killer where he discussed in detail his previous "conquests": even then most people were not happy with it being banned.

newsomnuke
Feb 25, 2007

aSSbAG. posted:

I would love to hear fake commercials for goatse donuts and the like, but I think goons would have the most fun with fake political ads.

E: like the radio stations in grand theft auto, anyone feeling me?
You can always make one yourself and submit it! Currently the jingle system is not really functioning properly (it's a hack), so you only get a jingle every 6 hours, rather than every 30 dongs which is what it should be.

Nihiliste posted:

Geez, some of the newcomers are hostile to ANYTHING which doesn't fit within their narrow boundaries. Need to be a little more open-minded!
Haha, having Lustmord and Serrie voted down has finally made you crack.

newsomnuke
Feb 25, 2007

Attitude Indicator posted:

Would there be anyway to add some sort of volume-equalizing mechanism? There's some wild volume changes between songs.
We're considering ways of doing this. The old system used ReplayGain, but we're still mulling it over.

newsomnuke
Feb 25, 2007

DanManIt posted:

I've forgotten my password for the website, any way I can recover it?
You'll have to ask Jonnty to reset it for you.

newsomnuke
Feb 25, 2007

marauderthirty posted:

Wow, 2 Metal Gear Solid songs in less than an hour span. This station really does deliver.
I can't tell whether you're being sarcastic or not here.

newsomnuke
Feb 25, 2007

Little tip: if you hover over the adder on the playlist, it displays the user who uploaded the dong.

newsomnuke
Feb 25, 2007

skander posted:

I don't think it's been mentioned yet, but how about showing what time a dong in the playlist is going to play.
Old GBSFM had this, and the overall plan is to reimplement as much of its functionality as possible. It's not particularly high on the agenda, but we're aware of it.

newsomnuke
Feb 25, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

Also, oops, I hosed up. Is there any way to edit the tags on a bunch of songs after they've been uploaded?
Yup. On the song page, click the left-most icon at the top. It'll have to be approved so may not appear immediately.

edit: because I can't resist, just have to post some of the comments for the wonderful Diamanda Galas:

Goons posted:

Jesus Christ
the fuuuuuuck
holy poo poo
not what i expected
this is loving incredible, i have never heard anything like this
Sounds like she just destroyed her vocal cords
My god. This is amazing.
I just tuned in to a woman piercing my ears. What in the gently caress is this.
what the gently caress is going on
holy loving poo poo
nooo
I love you guys!

newsomnuke fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Aug 15, 2010

newsomnuke
Feb 25, 2007

Charlie Mopps posted:

Is there someone who is rating every song in the playlist a 1? I was scrolling through it and every song with only one vote has a 1.
There's usually someone :shobon:. The solution is to not care about the score, which isn't really very important anyway.

newsomnuke
Feb 25, 2007

It should still be possible to vote from the dong page at any time. Currently it's just really easy to click '1' down the entire playlist, but making voting more awkward will go a long way to preventing that.

newsomnuke
Feb 25, 2007

CORNHOLE PATROLE posted:

More power hours and blocks would be nice. They are really awesome
I was just about to mention this. The Rotterdam Terror Corps block didn't go down that well but there's a nice classical block coming up in about 10 hours time! IRC is the best place for organising them.

newsomnuke
Feb 25, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

That's pretty much the theme block for tonight. Terrible 10-minute collections of digital samples of videogame speech with occasional music tracks.
<DaWolfey> we're in phase 2 - the discovery of all the novelty and crap songs

It always happens. It'll be over soon(ish) and then we'll move onto phase 3.

newsomnuke
Feb 25, 2007

Phase 1: the innocent goon adds his/her favourite dong to the playlist, eagerly awaiting critical acclaim for their taste in music. The dong is savaged, voted 1, the adder is told to die in a fire.

Phase 2: embittered by the humiliation of their favourite artist being rated lower than Avril Lavigne, the goon decides to exact revenge by adding 10 minute post-rave and screaming cat dongs.

Phase 3: deciding this is not enough, the goon creates his/her very own "audio abortion" and uploads it. Half the listeners hate it, the other half think it's the greatest piece of music since the last novelty dong played 10 minutes ago.

Phase 4: at this point, the goon either gets ADD and leaves forever, or becomes a beautiful, fully-formed member of the station, capable of withstanding anything Diamanda Galas can throw at them without flinching. :3:

newsomnuke
Feb 25, 2007

Something terrifying has happened to the playlist. :ohdear:

newsomnuke
Feb 25, 2007

Test Pilot Monkey posted:

Well it's only about 3 hours long at the moment, so get adding!
Don't say that unless you want 40 minute ambient tracks added.

newsomnuke
Feb 25, 2007

Methodis posted:

Is there any way to see the last few songs you personally queued up on the playlist?
2010-08-19 05:15:03 Talking Heads - Papa Legba
2010-08-20 00:49:48 Caravan - Golf Girl
2010-08-21 01:19:41 Sam Cooke - Cupid
2010-08-22 00:50:35 Cornelius - Mic Check
2010-08-22 17:20:23 Sam Cooke - Medley: It's All Right / For Sentimental Reasons
2010-08-22 21:30:32 Ian Pooley - Coração Tambor (feat. Rosanna & Zélia)
2010-08-23 04:34:49 Childish Gambino - Put It In My Video
2010-08-23 16:17:47 Tinariwen - Cler Achel
2010-08-24 00:26:12 The Specials - Too Much Too Young
2010-08-24 21:40:41 Cornelius - The Micro Disneycal World Tour
2010-08-26 00:28:37 Lemon Demon - BRODYQUEST

(pulled directly from the database, otherwise not possible)

newsomnuke
Feb 25, 2007

You're not banned, and there doesn't seem to be anything wrong your account. I guess the best thing to do is get Jonnty to give you a new password, sorry about this.

newsomnuke
Feb 25, 2007

I.T Zander posted:

Can I toss my name in the hat, to add a rule that you must name the song title, artist, album correctly, or it will be deleted?
We do that in extreme circumstances, such as when someone uploaded 300 mistagged Queen dongs, but otherwise it's not too much of a hassle to retag. Plus, adding "Unknown Artist - Unknown" is such a thrill: who knows what you might get!

newsomnuke
Feb 25, 2007

Horky posted:

Gotta say, I'm not really fond of songs randomly disappearing from they playlist. It's not really in the same spirit as gbsfm1. Personally I want to hear the awful crap that users have picked, not a groomed list by some mystery mod.
Which dongs have been disappearing? Do you mean they actually disappear, or are skipped? There is a possibility that they are removed by mistake, as the skip/remove button is only a few pixels away from the favourite button, and sometimes when a dong is legitimately skipped (corrupt/dead air etc) two mods will do it at once resulting in two dongs being skipped (this is a problem with GBSFM, not the mods).

quote:

Also I guess it's safe to assume that if you uploaded a song and it disappeared, it was somehow determined to be a duplicate? :ohdear:
Short of something going wrong, that would be the reason.

newsomnuke
Feb 25, 2007

There used to be a rule banning Christmas music outside of Christmas time. If it was skipped then someone may have thought that was still in effect (it isn't).

newsomnuke
Feb 25, 2007

Cuddly Coach posted:

There is no law against cat created content
Are you claiming that cats can play the accordion?

newsomnuke
Feb 25, 2007

Dr.Smasher posted:

I can just see it being something horrible like 'you can only add music by DJ Salinger for a week'
Why would we want to punish the entire station? Nah, you'll most likely turn into a catgirl.

newsomnuke
Feb 25, 2007

I wonder how long it would take to play all the songs on the server.
460 days, 16 hours, 45 minutes, 58 seconds.

quote:

Also, what's the longest song?

code:
88 				GBCCheck 								1:20:03
(unknown) 			bb2.mp3 								1:18:26
Boris with Merzbow 		Sun Baked Snow Cave 							1:06:39
Juno Reactor 			Luciana 								1:01:32
Brian Eno 			Thursday Afternoon 							1:01:01
erwtenpeller 			War of the Worlds 							1:00:26
Barack Obama 			Audacity of Hope (Part 1 of 3) 						59:43
Hatsune Miku 			Famicom Classics 							58:50
Animetal 			Animetal Marathon IV 							47:56
John Coltrane  			A Love Supreme: Acknowledgment/Resolution/Pursuance/Psalm (live)  	47:55
Aoife Ni Fheeaaaarrrrraaaaaiiiiiiggggghhhhhh 	The Best Is Yet To Forever Come 			47:20
Jean Michel Jarre 		En attendant Cousteau							46:51
Terry Fox 			The Labyrinth Scored for the Purrs of 11 Cats - Long Version 		46:29
Ludachrist 			Bangfest 								42:54
Lindstrøm & Christabelle 	Little Drummer Boy 							42:42

newsomnuke
Feb 25, 2007

:science: You can find long dongs by searching for, eg length>3600.

newsomnuke
Feb 25, 2007

Kaiho posted:

And now the stream is full of sentimental bullcrap like Frank Sinatra.
That's not very patriotic!

newsomnuke
Feb 25, 2007

Nihiliste posted:

The pain should be over as of Monday morning.
We just had a wonderful Paula Abdul block!

newsomnuke
Feb 25, 2007

Kaiho posted:

not just new stuff but stuff you never knew existed. Whole types of music.
God bless humppa.

newsomnuke
Feb 25, 2007

Peachstapler posted:

Modest buffering begins for me whenever Bob Pokosy begins to play. After 3 minutes it's fine though and the buffering stops. Has anyone else noticed this?
Yeah, it's most likely the number of comments.

newsomnuke
Feb 25, 2007

http://www.creatinganeasilydeployableappliction.com ;-*

newsomnuke
Feb 25, 2007

Way 87 and the will to live is draining...

newsomnuke
Feb 25, 2007

Fire posted:

Can we ban this irritating Bob Pokosy poo poo? This is why I rarely tune in anymore.
We can't ban it. I agree with you though, some people really don't know when a joke has run its course, which is unfortunate (this is not directed at DJ Magnetic Dozer).

newsomnuke
Feb 25, 2007

Various Artists - Velfarre Cyber Trance [gbsfm edit] (10:59)

newsomnuke
Feb 25, 2007

pill for your ills posted:

Holy site updates, Dongman!
Yes, we have NEW FEATURES. And what's more, that's just the simple test stuff to make sure the source control is set up properly. Hopefully development will be restarting proper over the next few weeks.

The bad news is, I'm one of the new devs, so expect everything to die even more frequently than it does at the moment.

newsomnuke
Feb 25, 2007

GBS-FM just has a thing for quirky singers I guess!

<-------

newsomnuke fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jan 14, 2011

newsomnuke
Feb 25, 2007

Clarence Boddicker posted:

what I don't get is, theres a forum at g2 and all these posts (about the station!!!) could go inside of it, but instead it gets used like, once per week to announce a movie is happening.
The forums is very bare-bones at the moment, and until it gets a facelift I suspect it's going to remain mostly unused. We don't even have polls for power hour.

newsomnuke
Feb 25, 2007

So how's development going :haw:
I did some more but then stopped because I wanted to play a video game!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

newsomnuke
Feb 25, 2007

Actually it was neither.

• Locked thread