Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Never heard of GBS Radio before; this is pretty awesome.

What are the legal ramifications of uploading music to this thing? Not trolling, seriouspost. Given how long this thing has been around, apparently, I have to assume someone's done their homework by now; it'd be great to see some kind of statement on the website indicating what the legal framework is for doing this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

There seems to be a limit to how often you can add a song to the global playlist. But this limit is not documented as far as I can tell.

How often can I put something objectionable and irritating amazing and awesome into the playlist?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

DaWolfey posted:

We limit to 1 song on the playlist per user otherwise it would be a lot longer than 6 hours 45 minutes that it is now.
Before today, it was 2 per listener, but then the playlist rarely got over 2 hours long.

We may switch to a different system where it's about amount of time rather than number of songs, but that's the future.

No, this makes sense and it's a good precaution. It'd be good to have it say as much on the site, or (especially) give you a message if you try to add another song but aren't allowed, that says why... so certain idiots who shall remain nameless don't sit there thinking they're adding three or four songs when actually they've only added one.

Ahem. :doh:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

There seems to be a persistent 17 second delay between when the web page thinks a song has started, and when it shows up in the stream. 17s seems very long for internet lag.

The delay leads people commenting at the end of a song they're listening to, to accidentally comment on the next song queued up instead. If anything, the delay should go the other direction to avoid that.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

DaWolfey posted:

This is an inherent thing with Shoutcast (the streaming software) and your media player having a buffer to ensure smooth playback.

Not something we can fix i'm afraid as the delay can vary a lot.

Fair enough.

But what about this: I assume that when a user enters text and hits enter, you're using POST or something similar to send the string. Maybe you could add a token that indicates the song that is displayed in the browser at the moment the user hits enter, and ensure their comment goes to that song, regardless of what is playing at the moment?

Not that this is a huge deal or anything, but I expect in the future there's going to be some pretty nonsensical comments for various songs, because of the delay.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Stream is back up.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The classical music section is woefully inadequate. I've not got an enormous collection myself, and there's a lot of stuff that's going to be over 11 minutes, but I am aiming to upload a fair amount of stuff.

But before I do...

It seems the current standard is to label pieces according to composer and title, and generally not include anything about performer. I can understand the desire not to have 16 different symphonic performances of a particular dong, but I'm wondering if there's any particular standard that's preferred?

E.g., should it be possible to search by 'Rostropovich' or 'Yo-yo Ma'? Or only by 'J. S. Bach'?

Oh, also, it'd be great if goons settled on just one of the following: J.S. Bach, J. S. Bach, JS Bach, J S Bach, Johan Sebastian Bach.

yes I am going to force you goons to listen to classical music get used to the idea you have no choice in the matter

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Aug 15, 2010

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

M R CRACKER you are quite the card!

Also, oops, I hosed up. Is there any way to edit the tags on a bunch of songs after they've been uploaded?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

ultra-inquisitor posted:

Yup. On the song page, click the left-most icon at the top. It'll have to be approved so may not appear immediately.

Thank you, I've fixed my terrible mistakes and will never sin again.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I like going down the list and voting 5s on songs that I know I like (because I recognize them) but won't be listening to (because it's bedtime).

That said, as long as I can still Favorite something at any time, I guess I can understand locking the ratings system when a song isn't playing.

Thing is, make sure it doesn't hamper the ability to adjust the score just after the song plays, because sometimes something gives a poor first impression but then kind of grows on you. Or vice-versa.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I stuck together Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D Minor. It's almost always two tracks on a CD, but I strongly feel they belong together; I can't think of a case where someone would want to perform one without the other. Together I think they come to 9 minutes.

If that's not OK, I can upload the tracks separate, but it'd be a shame to never be able to hear them together (without I guess some kind of tag-team effort).

Edit: Oh yeah, what are people's favorite free ripping software (for windoze)? I used to use some program that came with my sound card but that was one computer ago and I don't have it any more.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Incoherence posted:

Pretty sure the recommendation is still EAC and LAME; if you look in NMD they might have some better instructions.

No, that's perfect thanks. I already have Audacity (which is LAME) so all I needed was EAC.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

There's only been like 16 people listening today. Down from close to or over 100 at a time last week...

I knew it'd calm down but that's kind of a lot.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Woah OK so I guess that number doesn't auto-update? It must have been at 16 last time I refreshed the playlist page (which was last night at some point).

50 is much better!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

That would be an excellent thing to display on each user's user page. So I can click on a user and see the evidence right there of how bad a song-picker they really are.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

spankmeister posted:

both mirc and mibbit web thingy wont connect. But I can ping the server fine, and telnet to 6667 works too (well I cant do anything obviously, I don't speak IRC) loving weird.

FTP is on port 2100.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Uh, sorry, Spankmeister was having trouble connecting to the FTP site I thought, because I wasn't reading carefully, and then I saw he wasn't connecting to the FTP port, so I thought I was being helpful but actually I'm an idjit and he was having trouble with IRC.

Anyway in other news, I would like to personally thank gbs.fm user leebenningfield for uploading (and scheduling to play!) two whole albums from H.P. Lovecraft (the band), because I was searching for it before and sad it wasn't there. Something my stepdad introduced me to years ago that I only very recently remembered.

So thanks, leebenningfield.

Edit: oh yeah, and I use winamp too. It's free and it works.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I didn't think it was even possible to upload such huge mp3 files. My FTP client was repeatedly timing out trying to upload segments of Beethoven's 9th, the longest of which is 17 minutes (24MB).

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I have a few odd MP3s at lower bitrates, but they're all from like 1994 or something, ripped at low bitrate to fit on a floppy diskette or something retarded like that.

I'd never upload them to gbs.fm though because they suck.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

drat, that looks familiar. Is that from that one "look around you" episode? "I'm rappin, I'm rappin, I'm rap rap rappin..."

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Gosh there are a lot of dick songs

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Test Pilot Monkey posted:

Apropos of the current conversation, or just some idle searching?

Well I was hoping to spawn a block of dick songs (er, dick dongs haha) but nobody followed through. Probably because it was late at night and GBS.fm seems to drop off a cliff around 10-11pm pacific. Last week I even saw the playlist completely run out.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Also it's christmas break and lots of college kids are home and lots of people who listen while working are off work. That might have an impact. Right now it says there's 34 listeners, and a couple months ago at this time of day there'd be like 40 or 50, so it's not like it's a huge falloff.

If people want hundreds of simultaneous listeners, then the format has to move away from the, let's say, non-mainstream playlist. If people want to keep this format, then we will not have hundreds of listeners. There's really no way to escape that, and it's stupid to argue with the people saying "these songs turn people off" because they're not wrong. The question is only, do you want those offputting songs so much that you will sacrifice listenership to keep them? If so, then great, there's no problem.

If not, then a format change of some kind is necessary.

Personally I'm OK with the current format, but also, will only tune in maybe a couple times a week.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

There are thousands of songs in the database that have never been played. A button that would cue a random 0-plays song would be pretty cool too.

Anyway I like the productive way that this discussion is trending.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

I'm still only seeing the one track. Wot's Dragonforce? EDIT: Spotified it and I can think of several balding IT guys with long hair who listen to this kind of stuff.

Dragonforce has been made vastly more popular than it would be otherwise, due to the inclusion of their songs in various Guitar Hero games. Apparently they're pretty difficult to play or whatever: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5GpRJItqjw

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Dominus Vobiscum posted:

Pre-voting, especially pre-voting 1, makes you a dick. Don't be a dick.

If I see a dong I know I love coming up, why shouldn't I vote it up in advance?

If I see a dong I know I hate coming up, why shouldn't I vote it down in advance?

Seriously I don't understand this complaint at all.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Beelzebozo posted:

I don't even consider pre-voting every Soulja Boy song bad form if you know you love/hate Soulja Boy. The worst of it are the people who pre-vote songs based on the user who queued them.

Is there any evidence of an epidemic of people doing this?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Every month should be unplayed dongs month.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Doctor Zero posted:

And it is! Feel free to add some unplayed dongs or go into IRC and @add uplayed.

Huh. I tried it just now but I'm not sure it worked. How do I know if it worked?

There's nothing new in the playlist...

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Dominus Vobiscum posted:

socks (the IRC bot) has been a bit wonky lately. It's possible it wasn't in the channel when you tried. socks replies in the channel with what you added after doing that, so if you didn't see anything, that might be why.

I think that was it. I noticed the spelling error and tried it both ways. This was at like, 1 AM PST last night, so there were only two or three other people around and I didn't feel like caring about it much at the time.

Instead we played a bunch of Van Canto.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I love it when stuff like this happens just totally spontaneously:

I always look at what's queued at the bottom of the list before picking a dong, and often I'll do a search to see what would "match". It is fun everyone should do it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Kaiho posted:

but don't loving feel obliged to conform.

Whew! I'm glad someone finally spoke up to remind all the GBSFM listeners that there's no need to conform.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It would appear that GBS-FM only has 16 Pat Benatar songs, even though according to Wikipedia she made at least 13 studio albums, plus countless additional recordings.

So this is me asking people to please upload all their Pat Benatar. Because you're the right kind of sinners, to release my inner fantasies.

e. Number of dongs queued: 24. Number of listeners: 12. Come on, fess up: how many of you jerks are just queuing things and not even tuning in? Hm?

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jun 29, 2011

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

God drat, looks like I missed the rush of plays - I had to drag my cat to the vet because she tried to eat a bee, and the bee won.

But anyway thanks everyone for the pat love.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I don't really get what's hilarious about forcing most of the GBS-FM audience to turn the volume down to 0 for 11 minutes once every hour, but it's OK, whatever; it's an opportunity to go pee or take a brief walk outside or something. It's like commercial radio, except the commercial breaks are 11 minutes long.

But eh, whatever. How can anyone get worked up about GBS-FM? It's not, like, important or anything. It's just goon music radio thingy. That ranting pro-post-rave dude needs to calm down. If he desperately needs to hear a certain dong, he can just play it on his iPod or whatever?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Beelzebozo posted:

Hey guys, I just found this artifact from the original site. I believe RPC made this, but I could be wrong.

GBS-FM: A pimple on the rear end of decent music™

I need to hear something that lands in the union of Bear-grunting death metal and Olde Granddad Rock. Please play me some cookie-monster vocals easy listening classic death rock for old people.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

I think the intersection is meant to represent the body of work by Slayer because who the hell under 30 listens to Slayer?

Ouch.

But, slayer is definitely neither death metal, nor cookie-monster.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Maybe.... maybe really old Pantera?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Cuddly Coach posted:

Listening to slayer in high school when Reign in Blood and South of heaven came out and were relvant is a little bit different than listening to it now

For example, I'm not doodling pentagrams onto my TPS reports

Love is Pee-Chee but SEX is an All-Season SPortfolio <anarchy symbol> <anarchy symbol> <bad drawing of a TIE fighter><Metallica logo>

\/\/\/\/You are correct. At no time was Wasp (or Winger or Dokken) ever cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Requesting anyone who happens to have it, to please upload dongs by Egg.

For Example This Stuff Rules

• Locked thread