Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
I can pretty much blame 90% of my musical taste on GBS-FM at this point. Some of that might be Stockholm syndrome, but who knows.

Looking forward to how many of the new people stay after being exposed to Bob Pokosy, post-rave in general, Dahv, and to a lesser extent Venetian Snares (I like Venetian Snares but it took me a year or so of listening to GBS-FM).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Cemetry Gator posted:

Now let's say the unthinkable happens, and the playlist runs out? Will it randomly build one or will there be dead air?
It plays the last song over and over again until someone else shows up to add a new one. There's also a bot that adds songs sometimes, but it's relatively flaky.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Leperflesh posted:

There seems to be a limit to how often you can add a song to the global playlist. But this limit is not documented as far as I can tell.

How often can I put something objectionable and irritatingamazing and awesome into the playlist?
Pretty sure the limit is one song at a time, so as soon as your song finishes playing you can add another.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

eminkey2003 posted:

Something I don't understand about the search:

When you search an artist's name, and then click on the name that comes up, it gives you a list of every song from their discography, and you can add all of them.

But... if the songs haven't been uploaded yet, then what are you adding?
The only songs that appear in the search are the ones that have been uploaded (and properly tagged). Thus the rule to search first before uploading: if it's there, it's been uploaded.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

pystykorva posted:

Thanks, guys! I've missed goons' deranged "music" among the good stuff.

A quick question if you may: what was the sound clip used before 'bees' came around? The one that played when the stream wasn't working properly. Can I download it somewhere?
Quack Eep, I think. After the introduction of Bees, Quack Eep was reserved for "poo poo is really hosed, go find kalleboo".

The new version uses Chiptune Bees for any sort of problem, as far as I know.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

JVO posted:

What am I listening to right now and why do find it so funny?
It's a GBS-FM classic, that's what it is.

BOB POKOSY
DO YOU KNOWSY POKOSY
WHAT IS A BOB POKOSY
I DON'T KNOWSY

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Shotgun Jones posted:

all im gonna say is...just you wait until you hear Zabbah!
Someone should really introduce them to DJ Salinger.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

cat doter posted:

Whoever uploaded that dong deserves to get banned from existence.
The original uploader (Frogis, according to kalleboo's derelict v1 site) was in fact banned for being terrible; most of the "well-known" stuff from v1 got transferred to v2 already, including "classics" like that one. "Banned from existence" is a little over the top, though: if you don't expect to get musically trolled every so often, why are you listening to a goon radio station?

edit: And someone uploaded a duplicate of Still Alive.

Incoherence fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Aug 13, 2010

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Tube posted:

It seems like sometimes data's getting duplicated. People's comments on songs show up twice, which isn't such a big deal, but then you also get a number of song requests showing up twice as well (check toward the bottom of the queue right now, and you'll see several, with the same song and requester). Sometimes there's even a bit of a delay or something on the duplication, as comments will duplicate a couple of seconds later, or queued songs will have some other requests between them.

I think that's part of the Baby's First Python App glitching. If you refresh, they usually go away.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

helopticor posted:

Do albums with no songs get pruned eventually?
There's no such thing as an "album with no songs". It's just a database of ID3 tags: the album only exists if there are songs in it.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

BabyRyoga posted:

Another fix would be to make it so you can only add a number vote if you leave a comment, and your comment will be displayed with your number vote and name. That takes the anonymity out of it though, which might discourage some people. Some other people might be discouraged by the fact that they have to actually think up a constructive comment to write, but 10-20 seconds of work isn't really inconvenient.
Quite the opposite, actually. You want there to be fewer comments than votes, because otherwise the comments become an unreadable mess.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

ManiacClown posted:

Seriously. On GhettoRadio, I did a hijack show for Easter Sunday and Monday. Note that I mean a single show. I downloaded the entire Bible from Librivox and, because it was 52 hours or so long, I sped it up to 3x. I then played the entire Bible— fast— as an Easter show.
I'm imagining a DONK version of the Bible now.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Leperflesh posted:

Edit: Oh yeah, what are people's favorite free ripping software (for windoze)? I used to use some program that came with my sound card but that was one computer ago and I don't have it any more.
Pretty sure the recommendation is still EAC and LAME; if you look in NMD they might have some better instructions.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Soy Sauce Beast posted:

Jeez, go-go goon hivemind.

Just wait until we get Power Hours running again.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Kaiho posted:

Like ultra-inquisitor said, it's most likely the number of comments, but I personally can't say that I've experienced this. Possible that my browser slows down momentarily as it tries to figure out what order to show comments in (I'm sure I'm not alone to have seen comments shuffling around) but the stream itself hasn't slowed down for me.
Is the comment shuffling a bug? I thought it was just a really stupid feature that tried to order comments by position in the song.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Jibo posted:

I think he was probably asking how he could go about acquiring some DJ Magnetic Dozer for listening purposes. I think it's a worthwhile request. I had a house full of people on Sunday and I really wanted to blast Supergirl at them but couldn't find it anywhere other than GBS FM.
I don't think v2 has a method to download songs the way v1 did, so the answer is probably "ask peachstapler to host them somewhere".

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Lareine posted:

We woulda had all the features if SOMEONE hadn't refused to hand over the code from v1.
I don't know, after a few years of hearing quote #3 I'm not sure I WANT to see the code from v1.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Merijn posted:

It gets better! :haw:

For those of you not familiar, Charlie and his Orchestra are very relevant to this block.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Nihiliste posted:

I'm pretty sympathetic to that view. It's detrimental to the station, though, when listeners regularly have to shut off the stream to avoid something intended to annoy.
Honestly, I'm more likely to shut off the stream for a song I've heard a hundred times because someone queues it as soon as it becomes available again, or because they upload a million versions of it to get around the timer.

Then again, the first rule of the station is "don't be a dick". If you queue nothing but troll songs as fast as you can, you're a dick.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Captain McStabbin posted:

So is the long-ish song ban new? Cause I remember some time in the past week or so there was a song that was about 45 minutes long.
The way it works is that station moderators can queue long songs (they usually only do this when the playlist is nearly empty, like in the middle of the night US time), and they can also temporarily unban long songs for others to play once.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
Honestly, I think people just flog the gimmicks too hard. If this means we need to increase the time between replaying a song to a week or two, then let's do that. If this means unplayed dongs mode, let's do that.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Doctor Malaver posted:

I don't know why's everyone preoccupied with the random song thing. It may be a toy for the regulars but it won't keep any new listeners.
The whole reason people keep listening is because every 4 minutes something completely different plays, from a genre you might not have heard much of before. There are several genres and artists which I hated when I started listening which I've grown to like. Yes, yes, musical Stockholm syndrome and all, but if you only get exposed to things everyone likes, it's much harder to expand your tastes.

The ratings are similarly meaningless. A 4.5 could mean anything from "amusing gimmick that becomes less amusing as it gets played to death" to "classical music"; it's not an indication that you should only be playing those songs. That said, the old version did have ratings and play counts on the artist page; I imagine it's just that Jonnty hasn't gotten around to it.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Doctor Zero posted:

Without Kalleboo around our Meat Loaf quotient is down 400%
Speaking of which, how's Radiour doing?

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Armageddon posted:

whoa, I'm just signing up, about to upload Arcade Fire... just as an Arcade Fire song starts to play :cool:
And lo, the voice of God spoke from the heavens and said, "SEARCH BEFORE UPLOADING". Trust me, whatever you were planning on uploading, we probably have it.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Test Pilot Monkey posted:

GBS-FM: Running things into the ground before anyone else
Technically we ran Dragonforce into the ground about the time GBS itself did.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Donkey Darko posted:

Why would it be weird for me? It's perfectly normal! Going back to the magnetic dozer era would be weird
I think his point is that you're still hearing DJ Magnetic Dozer but not so much the original post-rave that DJ Magnetic Dozer is a response to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Haifisch posted:

Merzbow launch detected. It's all-out moderator war.
A long playlist means that GBS-FM is successful!

• Locked thread