Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
I only listened to the old version in like its final year, but this is the best news ever.

Everyone should expand their horizons and learn to hate other goons simultaneously with this beautiful service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

hobbit barfer posted:

goons hate rap :ohdear:

Then what you have to do is add more rap to the playlist (searching and then uploading if necessary).

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Cemetry Gator posted:

Would the numbers station really qualify as music though?

Of course, that's up to other people who aren't me. But just wondering.

I agree with you; but it's not up to people that aren't you until you report the dongs.

Edit: However, I don't know much about this project, but if the numbers stations were used as a base to create actual songs, that's a different story.

dirby fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Aug 13, 2010

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Entropist posted:

Anyone who registers after the FTP server was last restarted, cannot use it (until it's restarted again). That's the issue, I think.

Edit2: I thought I had another issue, but it turns out it was just that I'm dumb at using FTP or something. Windows Explorer works fine for me.

dirby fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Aug 14, 2010

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Sasquatch! posted:

EDIT: So wait - http://gbsfm.info/ apparently still exists. What is it now?

A place to review your old favorited songs/artists/albums and reminisce about old threads in the forum?
Edit:

DaWolfey posted:

http://gbs.fm

(You could at least try and read the OP)
I'm 99% sure you you misinterpreted them.

dirby fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Aug 14, 2010

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Cemetry Gator posted:

You uncultured swine. Giving Traffic's "Paper Sun" a 2.166666667. Where's the love for Steve Winwood? Where's the love for a great psychedelic pop song?
It's up to 2.5 now. The solution is to play more Traffic. If you shove enough of something that people don't like down their throats, they'll learn to like it.

quote:

Why does a song about cunnilingus get a 5 and this gets a pitiful 2.
Goons.

quote:

Seriously, there is nothing more heartbreaking than to see a song get a low rating.
If you can't handle people not sharing your opinions, maybe gbsfm (and the internet as a whole?) isn't for you. I think GBSFM is great because, for example, you can make people listen to traffic even when they don't like it.

quote:

Edit: Also, deleting songs would be against the spirit of GBS.FM. Isn't the idea that anything that's considered music goes?
Agreed.

dirby fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Aug 15, 2010

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Fuschia tude posted:

As long as it can be included in the default search eventually.

This is kind of important, because if someone knows they like stuff by some group, they currently have no way of finding all of the dongs where that group is listed as the composer. And there are a number of examples of this disconnect among the songs on gbsfm.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

ultra-inquisitor posted:

Yup. On the song page, click the left-most icon at the top. It'll have to be approved so may not appear immediately.

They don't have to be approved if it's on a song you uploaded, and they get approved fairly quickly if it's on a song that was uploaded by someone else.

Speaking of that, being able to sort my uploaded songs by artist and album instead of just by song title would be nice, down the road.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
Do albums with no songs get pruned eventually?

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Incoherence posted:

There's no such thing as an "album with no songs".

But this isn't quite true.

If all of the songs in album abcd are either removed or have their album tag changed, then there will be no songs in album abcd. However, album abcd still comes up when you search for "abc", and you can still click on that link to be greeted with the album page and an empty list of songs.

It doesn't seem to have any real downside aside from clogging up searches, though.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Dominus Vobiscum posted:

Report the dong as a dupe and the mods will take care of it.

Or, much more simply, click on the red X on the page for the song you uploaded, and delete it yourself. You have complete control over your own songs; you only have to bother the mods for songs you didn't upload.
Final Edit: You can only do this if you realize you added a duplicate early enough, otherwise you have to report it.

Scuttle_SE posted:

It should be purged already, I'll look into it

Thanks.

dirby fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Aug 16, 2010

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

skander posted:

Sometimes I screw something up and want to delete a bunch songs from the same album, and it's really annoying to be taken back to the playlist after each file. Same for edits.

It's a little easier if you open up all of the songs from the album in separate tabs and do it that way.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Daimo posted:

Much VNV Nation please! What is that GMT? US time zones confuse the hell out of me.

Central time is GMT-5 until mid October when it changes to GMT-6, IIRC.

dirby fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Aug 22, 2010

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

rocket_Magnet posted:

edit: I cocked up the trackname, the title of the song is still there but it says (unknown) (unknown) in front of the actual info. Can anyone fix this?

You can, by clicking the Edit button (one of the buttons in the top left corner of the song's page; IIRC it looks like a notepad).

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
Hooray! Those two always seemed like stand up people.

Also, GBS.FM has twice as many mods as GBS and like 1/20th or less of the users to wrangle, do you guys have enough to do?

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
Chrome Radio Player
Grooveshark.com
Pandora.com
(and I keep Winamp around for a handful of mp3s)

But since gbs-fm has started back up, Chrome Radio Player is pretty much all I need.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Jonnty posted:

I'm a reference to the once popular Fedora Linux which is now thought of as passé and a all-round bad idea.

And that's why we love you.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Jonnty posted:

What the christ? Whoever did this, name yourself, this is hilarious.

This is beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

ashgromnies posted:

We should do GBS.tv again. There are better solutions for streaming nowadays than there were six years ago.
I don't remember GBS.tv terribly well. How would it differ in operation from Goontube, which is active now?

• Locked thread