Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TastesLikeChicken
Dec 30, 2007

Doesn't everything?

I just realized the only picture I'd posted was of my wheel. Apologies for the crappy camera.

I'm trying to get the hang of silk and so far, it's a workout.

This is 100% silk caps from Spirit Trail Fibers. I tried it first on my beginner drop spindle but just couldn't get enough twist in it. Also, my tendency to overdraft left me with a lot of thread-weight sections, which did NOT like being put into a center pull ball to attempt to ply it back on itself. I ended up just plying the knots into the yarn. :derp:

It seems to be a little more consistent on the wheel; it's more of a fingering weight.

Also, I made a hat!

The body is KnitPicks Palette in Bison, and the lighter stripes are some of my hand-spun alpaca, navajo plied.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Maybe try letting it rest on the spindle for a day or two before the centerpull ball? I have to do that with the lace 2-ply I spin.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
Ok, so I got out the spindle again and gave it a second try. I think I did a LOT better with the singles this time around - they're much more even (not actually even but MORE even). I did two lengths of singles and wound them onto toilet paper roles and tried plying them just now.

Only, when I check the balance they yarn twists on itself in the middle and on either side of that the singles kinda come apart.

Any idea what am I doing wrong? Too much twist in the singles, not enough twist in the ply...? Some other mysterious spinning malady? :)

EDIT :doh: I was plying in the same direction I spun the singles in.

Holy poo poo I just made yarn. Actual, no poo poo yarn.

Bob Shadycharacter fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Sep 13, 2010

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

I was going to ask if you had plied the same direction you spun in. :downs:

That out of the way, congratulations!

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Put it in Your Mouf posted:

Anybody that wants to unload extra yarn should just give us a heads up, I know I personally would love to buy or trade for some of the stuff you don't know what to do with/and or screwed up.

I have a ton...mostly art/novelty yarn. If you (or anyone else) want some, I'll post what I have (some I've given away/sold/used, not sure what I have left).

EXAMPLES:

Put it in Your Mouf
Jan 8, 2009

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

I have a ton...mostly art/novelty yarn. If you (or anyone else) want some, I'll post what I have (some I've given away/sold/used, not sure what I have left).

EXAMPLES:

Eeeek! I'm definitely interested, email me with details? I don't have PMs. putitinyourmouf@gmail.com

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
You could probably resurrect the Yarn Swap/Sale thread with stuff like that.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I'm not working tomorrow, so I'll do inventory and take pictures and stuff and get back to y'all.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

I'm not working tomorrow, so I'll do inventory and take pictures and stuff and get back to y'all.

I'm sure me and other knitters will gladly adopt your yarn. :3:

Put it in Your Mouf
Jan 8, 2009

Awesomeness!

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

I have 15 skeins with approximate yardages and materials and one GRAB BAG. What's the best way to do this? An SA Mart thread? I don't really want to sell here and derail.

Put it in Your Mouf
Jan 8, 2009

I have 15 skeins with approximate yardages and materials and one GRAB BAG. What's the best way to do this? An SA Mart thread? I don't really want to sell here and derail.

That would work.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
Jesus Christ, is it me, or is spinning at least twice as addictive as knitting? It's like loving crack cocaine.

(I can't stop!)

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

Jesus Christ, is it me, or is spinning at least twice as addictive as knitting? It's like loving crack cocaine.

(I can't stop!)

It's totally more addictive than knitting.

And then you have more yarn to knit with when you stop.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

FelicityGS posted:

It's totally more addictive than knitting.

And then you have more yarn to knit with when you stop.

So you're saying it's possible to stop?

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

So you're saying it's possible to stop?

Theoretically. Otherwise I wouldn't have managed to make half a scarf with some of said hand-spun:

Click here for the full 768x1024 image.

But then I stopped knitting so I could back to spinning the yarn for it, and it's been months....

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

FelicityGS posted:

Theoretically. Otherwise I wouldn't have managed to make half a scarf with some of said hand-spun:

Click here for the full 768x1024 image.

But then I stopped knitting so I could back to spinning the yarn for it, and it's been months....

For a second I thought that was a giant pretty leaf! :3:

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Handspun yarn is SA Mart: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3348959

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

This is a pretty useful technique for any spindle spinners.

Rosemary posted a video a few years ago about "ply on the fly" for spindles. It's basically navajo-plying. She's played with it a bit, and finally posted a video with her new corrections. It's wonderful, just so you know, and the new instructions make it a breeze to use (much less fiddly than the first go). I've been testing out the new instructions, and I'm really happy with the results.

You can find blog post (with video) here.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
I still can't even wrap my brain abound navajo plying. It's just a way of making three strands at once by looping one long length through itself? I'm obsessed with watching these videos. I can't believe how goddamn FAST they move! This has to be why spinning is so much more addictive than knitting - the progress is instantly visible, unlike when you knit 1200 stitches on a shawl and it's only 1/8th of an inch longer.

Still practicing spinning! I finished my first little mini skein and instantly decided I had to work on the only other fiber I've bought (the merino-silk). I think I'm already getting better...pretty sure I got twice the yardage out of the second half of it vs. the first half.

Is there anything I can do specifically to spin more even (other than "try to spin more even")?

I'm dying to do one of those "sheep to shoe" kits from BMFA.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Make an index card, and attach a 4-7" sample of what you want it to be. I usually tape it at each end for tension, since that's what I'm comparing it to. Then, check against that sample as you spin. I usually go for "looks really close" and not "exactly matches." It also helps you keep track of when to wind off, because eventually the spindle is too heavy to spin that particular width anymore--but it's hard to notice without a sample, because your hands will start spinning thicker to offset.

Stupid hands.

Another thing is to stop when you have slubs (big fat sections), park your spindle, and then pinch around each side of the slub, a little more than staple length apart. Gently untwist enough that you can draft it apart, and then let a little twist in once you get it down to what the rest of the yarn is like.

Be willing to pull out bits of fiber that are weird looking, not cooperating, or basically just bumps. They are doing you no favours, and besides, sheep are growing more wool every day, plants are growing more fiber every day. You won't run out of stuff to spin. :P

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
Ooh, I had no idea you could fix slubs! I will definitely use that information! Thanks. :)

Scooty Puff Jr.
Oct 2, 2004
Who's ready for safe fun?
i found navajo plying absolutely baffling watching the videos, but once I began doing it, I found it so relaxing and delightful to do. Like knitting, it almost puts you into a trancey state of relaxation. It's so rhythmical.

(Note: my experiences are based on a wheel and may not transfer to spindle. Can you navajo ply on a spindle? that seems like it would be really hard.)

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Scooty Puff Jr. posted:

(Note: my experiences are based on a wheel and may not transfer to spindle. Can you navajo ply on a spindle? that seems like it would be really hard.)

I literally just posted a link a few posts ago to a woman who shows how to do it on a spindle. :downs:

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
I'm still not really getting it - I have the book "teach yourself handspinning visually" and all it says to start is "make a loop". Make a loop...how? That sounds really stupid but yeah, I'm not sure where to start making a loop and what I'm "pulling through" the loop. I need a close up diagram or something!

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

If this is just the leader, I always just spin one. I don't actually attach a loop.

Fog N-plying:

Spin a good length (I usually do 1 yard for the first section) (you'll need to start by holding the spindle in hand and inserting twist that way). Fold that single in half, using a finger to tension that fold. Pass the part of the yarn closer to your fiber under the hook, letting the length of yarn turn into thirds.

I swear there IS a diagram somewhere, but unfortunately, I don't quite have time to look. And if I can't find it, I'll just make a video that shows very slowly how to get it started.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
Give me a little bit, and i'll do a video.

(and by video, I mean a series of pictures...)

Amykinz fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Sep 20, 2010

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
THREE-PLY ON THE FLY (Now with images!!!)

OK, here we go. If you have any questions about what I'm posing, please ask, and I'll try to make it clearer.

So, you have your spindle and some fuzz to make into yarn

Spin out a length of a single. This can be a few inches, to a full length from floor to your arm. I'm using a length of about three feet. I've wrapped it around my fingers butterfly-style to keep it from tangling up.

Holding the spindle in your non-yarn-clubbed hand, unwind about a foot of single between the spindle and your yarn hand. Release the spindle from your free hand, and moving quick-like (don't rush, relax, but don't just leave the spindle there unwinding) reach up and hook the single over your index finger, about halfway up. Move this finger ABOVE the yarn hand, and grasp the spindle in your yarn fingers. The single should now be doubled over itself. Place the hook of the spindle over the yarn and release the spindle from your yarn hand, and 'adjust' the length of singles to put the spindle about between your two hands. Hold the folded bit of single open with your free hand.

(everything past here works best with the spindle "parked" between your knees to keep tension on the singles, and to keep it from twisting up when you're not paying attention. I am doing this without parking it for clarity... yeah.)

Reach your free hand through the loop you have made

With your free hand through the loop, grab the single going from the spindle to your yarn hand, and pull it through the loop. This will make a new loop, like a really loose crochet chain.

Keep chaining away until you have about six inches of spun single left, put the loop over your yarn hand thumb, pinch the not loop of single along with it, and spin the three plied yarn the OPPOSITE direction of the original spin, until the yarn is balanced.

Wind on three ply yarn, and when you get to the loop on your thumb, put this over the hook on your spindle, and hook the emerging single through the hook, and continue spinning.

When you have spun up a few feet of singles again, butterfly it up on your yarn hand, pull the loop off the hook, and unwind a few inches of plied yarn. Hook this under the hook on your spindle, and start pulling single through the loop again.

Amykinz fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jun 10, 2014

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
Oh my god, you're awesome, I think I get it now!

Thank you! I'm going to save all of these pictures.

Scooty Puff Jr.
Oct 2, 2004

FelicityGS posted:

I literally just posted a link a few posts ago to a woman who shows how to do it on a spindle. :downs:

Oh god I am dumb.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

That's fantastic Amykinz! And probably much better than I could have shown.

Scooty Puff Jr., not really. I do that sometimes too.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
I tried to do video, but I ended up with two minutes of just my right elbow. I also felt like a mime because I felt stupid talking on film, so I was silent the whole time. Maybe next time.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
God, I wish there were more places near me that I could buy roving from. One of the yarn stores I go to sometimes had a little bucket with bags of a few oz or so but that's it. And they're always closed on my day off, it's like they're deliberately antagonizing me. WEBS has a big roving section and not that I don't love going to WEBS or anything but it's frigging two and a half hours away.

I got all excited by some place called The Fiber Loft but it turned out I was confused and it's not in Harvard Square, but Harvard Mass., which is a whole other thing and rather far. Hmph.

I want to buy some more fiber! I need to practice! You can't practice without lots and lots and lots of pretty, pretty fiber...

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

I wouldn't usually do this, BUT:

1. Spinning Loft. You can buy online from her. She is wonderful, amazing, and I really really love her store. She has so much lovely fiber stuff. Really. When I am in that area (once a year if lucky) I buy from the store, but otherwise, I buy online because I want to support the awesome store. She has samplers of different wools, too! If you have questions, you can call the store, and she'll try to help you.

2. Paradise Fibers, for buying in bulk of different breeds.

3. Capistrano Fiber Arts on Etsy. A little expensive compared to undyed, but I can swear on the quality of her fiber and (personally) love her dye choices. I've spun at least one of each of the different fiber types/blends she has, too.

Those are just some personal favourites when I can't get to a real store to buy fiber.

Aeglowyn
Oct 6, 2005
Chief Fearsome Pirate Goon (Thankyou Zegnar)
I'd like to post a happy ending to my llama story. Unfortunately there isn't one because I've pretty much given up trying. Even after washing, shaking, tearing, carding and combing I was left with a fleece full of burrs and straw. It seems llama hair is just too fine and gets all tangled up in everything.

Of course, the happy side to this story is that after learning how to spin on a spindle with llama hair (I previously only knew what my grandmother called 'Inca style' - don't know if it has a proper name, but it's basically just rolling it down your thigh while pulling) sheep wool is now delightfully easy.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Aeglowyn posted:

I'd like to post a happy ending to my llama story. Unfortunately there isn't one because I've pretty much given up trying. Even after washing, shaking, tearing, carding and combing I was left with a fleece full of burrs and straw. It seems llama hair is just too fine and gets all tangled up in everything.

Of course, the happy side to this story is that after learning how to spin on a spindle with llama hair (I previously only knew what my grandmother called 'Inca style' - don't know if it has a proper name, but it's basically just rolling it down your thigh while pulling) sheep wool is now delightfully easy.

Is it Llamas that I see sometimes wearing little coats? I wonder if that's to keep the junk out.

Maybe they just do it cause it's friggin' adorable.

It's so funny, for years I've been telling friends that someday I want to move to a farm "with some sheep". This was before I started knitting and way before I got the idea to learn spinning! Now it actually makes sense in a way. More so than wanting to own sheep because sheep are cute and funny looking.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

That's a real shame about the llama, but at least wool is easy now!

I too, want to own a sheep. Just a sheep; I may expand to two, one of two different breeds I like. I'd get wethers, since I don't plan on breeding them. But yes. One Shetland (oh man, if you haven't spun a single coat Shetland you do not know how amazing that is) and one larger breed (not sure which).

Scooty Puff Jr.
Oct 2, 2004
Oh man. My fiance are planning our fiber farm constantly. A few alpacas, a few sheep, a herd of angora rabbits, not to mention quails, goats and a methane generator to run our house off their poo.

We just need to pay off our student loans, build a nest egg, buy some property, build a house... ugh. But I swear to longcat that this will not just be a pipe dream!

ETA:
doctor who inspired 100% alpaca handspun:

And merino/silk blend from the August Spunky Eclectic roving club:

Scooty Puff Jr. fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Sep 23, 2010

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
So is there a guide somewhere to get a feel for how much fiber to buy for a specific project? Like, if you want to make a hat with bulky yarn you probably need X oz of fiber or to make socks with fingering weight yarn you need X oz of fiber...I get confused. It doesn't help that yarn is generally sold in grams or yards and the fiber itself is in oz. I guess there might be differences in how different people spin too.

At least I have wrapped my tiny brain around the idea that smaller yarn has less fiber in it so the same weight gets you more yardage. I know, simple concept right?

Oh man I want some angora rabbits too. I saw some people at the Topsfield Fair last year sitting with bunnies on their laps and just spinning away...sounds like a nice way to spend the day to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

So is there a guide somewhere to get a feel for how much fiber to buy for a specific project? Like, if you want to make a hat with bulky yarn you probably need X oz of fiber or to make socks with fingering weight yarn you need X oz of fiber...I get confused.

The way I've done this is figure out what you want to make with what type of yarn (bulky, sock weight, etc), look up a few similar projects (long sleeve cabled cardigan out of bulky weight yarn! Slutty bikini out of sock weight!) on Ravelry and get a "range" of yardage for them in your intended finished size, THEN look up a few yarns of the weight and fiber type you want to create for the project, and figure out the yards per oz or whatever. THEN round up a bit so you don't have too little fiber, and buy what you need. Yeah.

• Locked thread