Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Superchunk
Dec 27, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Anal Volcano posted:

Here's the studio version of the song from the VMAs: http://www.inflexwetrust.com/2010/09/13/kanye-west-runaway/

Not the strongest we've heard, but it's... uh... interesting.

This is obviously an unmastered version. Kanye's vocals in the verses sound like he was just reading them off of paper as a placeholder for when he records the real vocals. I bet he drops the mastered version this Friday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010

Superchunk posted:

This is obviously an unmastered version. Kanye's vocals in the verses sound like he was just reading them off of paper as a placeholder for when he records the real vocals. I bet he drops the mastered version this Friday.

Yeah, this is probably true. I like the live version a whole lot better, but his delivery of "picture of my dick" on the studio one we have now is hilarious.

shoulders
Aug 23, 2003

I kinda like how that part sounds half arsed, it fits the sentiment.

Kanye is churning out the anthems. Must feel good being in form again.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
Lord, Lord, Lord just dropped

"And if I'm a douche, then put me in your coochie"

Oh, Kanye!

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream
I question the choice to let Swizz have the longest verse.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
vvv edit: I'm hearing things vvv

DEAR RICHARD fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Sep 20, 2010

SpiritualDeath
Jul 2, 2009

shaping your brain like pottery

The A-Team Van posted:

The more I listen to the new song, the more I am thinking that it sounds familiar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLZJ9f2lCKE

Oh wait...
I don't understand what you're referring to. I don't hear a similarity to any of the G.O.O.D. Friday songs, and in the first place the beat in the song you linked is an interpolation of the theme to Halloween.

TITY BOI
Apr 4, 2008

A REAL HUMAN BEING
AND A REAL TITY BOI

The A-Team Van posted:

The more I listen to the new song, the more I am thinking that it sounds familiar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLZJ9f2lCKE

Oh wait...

Surely you mean

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewQ6aG-pZEg

TITY BOI
Apr 4, 2008

A REAL HUMAN BEING
AND A REAL TITY BOI
Another good friday song: So Appalled (feat RZA, Jay-Z, Pusha-T, Swizz Beatz, Cyhi da Prynce)

http://kanyewest.com/GOODFridays/download?dl=soappalled

TITY BOI fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Sep 25, 2010

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.

F201 posted:

Another good friday song: So Appalled (feat RZA, Jay-Z, Pusha-T, Swizz Beatz, Cyhi da Prynce)

http://kanyewest.com/GOODFridays/download?dl=soappalled

Honestly, whenever I hear Jay Z's voice pop in on any of these songs it makes me automatically love the song.

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

Cizzo posted:

Honestly, whenever I hear Jay Z's voice pop in on any of these songs it makes me automatically love the song.
Well he's rapped better verses on every leaked Kanye track than he did on BP3.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream
I'm not even sure who kills it on So Appalled. I mean RZA is amazing and all he's doing is yelling in his angry voice.

hella based
Feb 19, 2006

I'm a huge Pusha fan, thought he killed it. Felt like Jay kinda rambled. Swizzy almost ruined the entire track.

TITY BOI
Apr 4, 2008

A REAL HUMAN BEING
AND A REAL TITY BOI
Do we know if Jon Brion is involved in this album or not?

The Rabite posted:

Swizzy almost ruined the entire track.

Yes, in much the same way that he almost ruined Lord, Lord, Lord. His production can be great but he is an abysmal MC.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I'm loving So Appalled so far, and drat there's just so much awesome in all of these.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

PonchAxis posted:

I'm loving So Appalled so far, and drat there's just so much awesome in all of these.
This. A hundred times. I love everything I've heard so far.

Well, except for Lord Lord Lord (even though I never tire of Mos Def).

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

Jack's Flow posted:

This. A hundred times. I love everything I've heard so far.

Well, except for Lord Lord Lord (even though I never tire of Mos Def).

Lord Lord Lord would probably be my second favorite song if Swizz didn't have a verse. I don't even mind him just generally mcing/yelling on a track as much as some people do, but he can't rap.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
I'm hoping the VMA version of Runaway becomes the 'official' when the dust settles

DarkCompanion
Oct 27, 2007

by T. Finn
I wouldn't be surprised if this becomes one of the biggest selling albums of all time. He's really pulling out all the stops, multiple songs over 6 minutes, more guests than I've ever seen before, he's already released an albums worth of songs and these are just the teasers? It'll probably count as a double LP on the charts too so there's double the sales.

I guess there's also going to be a movie directed by Kanye:
"It’s the story of a phoenix fallen to Earth, and I make her my girlfriend, and people discriminate against her and eventually she has to burn herself alive and go back to her world. I’ve been feeling the idea of the phoenix. It’s been in my heart for a while. It’s maybe parallel to my career. "
Does this guy consider the period between Graduation and now to be a low point?

DarkCompanion fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Sep 27, 2010

Superchunk
Dec 27, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

DarkCompanion posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if this becomes one of the biggest selling albums of all time.

This is kind of a crazy statement to make at this point. I mean we've only heard a few (albiet unfinished) songs minus Power. I understand he's putting a crazy amount of work into this album, but you can't even begin to tell me how it sounds yet, how are you going to say it's going to be one of the biggest selling albums of all time? I mean christ, it doesn't even have a title yet.

I hope he releases the album, and then on Christmas releases a "G.O.O.D. Friday" mixtape of all the songs he did & some new ones. Two albums back to back? :swoon:

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010
There will never be another album that approaches being one of the biggest selling of all time. The biggest selling in the last 10 years, sure, he has as proven a track record as anybody.

Mr Gentleman
Apr 29, 2003

the Educated Villain of London

anyone have high res screenshots of the power video? the ones I'm pulling from youtube (even set to 1080p) have this weird blurriness

DarkCompanion
Oct 27, 2007

by T. Finn

Superchunk posted:

This is kind of a crazy statement to make at this point. I mean we've only heard a few (albiet unfinished) songs minus Power. I understand he's putting a crazy amount of work into this album, but you can't even begin to tell me how it sounds yet, how are you going to say it's going to be one of the biggest selling albums of all time? I mean christ, it doesn't even have a title yet.

I hope he releases the album, and then on Christmas releases a "G.O.O.D. Friday" mixtape of all the songs he did & some new ones. Two albums back to back? :swoon:

you seem really upset about this. All I said is I wouldn't be surprised, and I wouldn't. Never say never unless you want to be proven wrong, that's what my mom always told me.

Ebjan
Feb 20, 2004

F201 posted:

Do we know if Jon Brion is involved in this album or not?

Yes, in much the same way that he almost ruined Lord, Lord, Lord. His production can be great but he is an abysmal MC.

Yes! When he was on the MTV awards it was so horrible, he had nothing to add to the song at all. People need to stop adding their friends to tracks if they don't can't rap or sing.

Superchunk
Dec 27, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
The new (unmastered) song "Lost in the World" that samples Bon Iver's "Woods" leaked yesterday. It's pretty easy to find with a Google search, so I'm not going to post it here.

I'm a little conflicted with this one. I love both artists, but "Woods" has been an important song to me and always sounded pretty melancholy. It's odd hearing it in this form. I like how the song starts, I'm glad Kanye left it alone so you can get a feel for where the sample comes from before he drops the beat. The middle section is a big EH from me, I guess it needs to grow on me more. I love the Gil Scott-Heron ending. One of my favorite Kanye song endings at this point, right behind "Gone."

I guess the main thing this song has done for me is give me way more hope for this next album. My expectations are high now.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

Superchunk posted:

The new (unmastered) song "Lost in the World" that samples Bon Iver's "Woods" leaked yesterday. It's pretty easy to find with a Google search, so I'm not going to post it here.

I'm a little conflicted with this one. I love both artists, but "Woods" has been an important song to me and always sounded pretty melancholy. It's odd hearing it in this form. I like how the song starts, I'm glad Kanye left it alone so you can get a feel for where the sample comes from before he drops the beat. The middle section is a big EH from me, I guess it needs to grow on me more. I love the Gil Scott-Heron ending. One of my favorite Kanye song endings at this point, right behind "Gone."

I guess the main thing this song has done for me is give me way more hope for this next album. My expectations are high now.
I genuinely think this is one of the best songs Kanye has ever created and I'm usually a CD/LR fanboy. It may not be a rap song or anything, but it is certainly a brilliant and theatrical production.

e: an interesting thing is that if you see it posted on a hip hop blog, the comment sections are all hating on it and saying it's "watered down for the masses". Apparently Bon Iver samples are mainstream as hell.

Brett824 fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Sep 29, 2010

jngshin
Feb 16, 2005

by Ozmaugh
Heard Monster today driving home. Kanye's next CD is shaping up to be very legit. Was very shocked to hear a Nicki cameo; I've been steadily following her since Da Drought 3 and it's cool to see her doing well.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Wow Im loving Lost in the World. Great track, loving everything about this new album so far. I just hope he doesn't give away all the songs before the album drops.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

bows1 posted:

Wow Im loving Lost in the World. Great track, loving everything about this new album so far. I just hope he doesn't give away all the songs before the album drops.

Something tells me he wont.

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010
Lost In The World was leaked without his approval, I think, he was tweeting about how upset he is that somebody put it out. Also we're being punished by being deprived of a Good Friday track this week as a result.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

Role Play McMurphy posted:

Lost In The World was leaked without his approval, I think, he was tweeting about how upset he is that somebody put it out. Also we're being punished by being deprived of a Good Friday track this week as a result.

Actually another song leaked too but I'm not going to even mention the name of it. I hope this doesn't push back the album for any reason.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Brett824 posted:

Something tells me he wont.
Oh wow. Go cry about it some more Kanye. I'm really liking these songs, but posts like that remind me why I used to hate him.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
Really? I don't see anything particular whiny about that post.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Ponch it's hardly unique to Kanye, pretty much any high profile musician has said something like that more or less in regards to leaks.

You know if the whole album, fully mixed and done properly had leaked, I'd bet he'd be less pissed because it's more a culmination of their work. It must hurt a lot to really work your arse off on something for months and months and then have this unfinished version of it leaked out and exposed to the entire world. I can totally understand.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

teacup posted:

You know if the whole album, fully mixed and done properly had leaked, I'd bet he'd be less pissed because it's more a culmination of their work. It must hurt a lot to really work your arse off on something for months and months and then have this unfinished version of it leaked out and exposed to the entire world. I can totally understand.

It's his own fault, though. Plenty of artists manage to not have anything leak until review copies are sent out, simply because they manage strict control over the recording process.

TITY BOI
Apr 4, 2008

A REAL HUMAN BEING
AND A REAL TITY BOI
The funny thing is, if he had kept his mouth shut about it nowhere near as many people would know anything leaked at all. Now all of his followers are going to be googling 'kanye west leak'

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

TOOT BOOT posted:

It's his own fault, though. Plenty of artists manage to not have anything leak until review copies are sent out, simply because they manage strict control over the recording process.

I really don't see how it's his fault, who knows who leaked it? If you are going to collaborate with others you run the risk.

Justin Timberwolf
Jun 18, 2005

[instrumental]

Brett824 posted:

Actually another song leaked too but I'm not going to even mention the name of it. I hope this doesn't push back the album for any reason.

All of The Lights? Get your greasy hands on it ASAP it's so good!

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010

PonchAxis posted:

Oh wow. Go cry about it some more Kanye. I'm really liking these songs, but posts like that remind me why I used to hate him.

Yeah, he owes you so much free music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
honestly, I feel that Kanye could stop releasing the new stuff anyways. I'd like some surprise when the official cd dops.

• Locked thread