Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT

CHRISTS FOR SALE posted:

I just liked 808s and Heartbreak because it was an affirmation that Daft Punk's production styles and techniques are the standards by which a "good production" is measured these days. Maybe no one has realized it yet, but their ideas have revolutionized what we consider to be modern, mainstream music. Perhaps there is still hope for the American musical culture...

I've never been more excited to listen to top 40 bullshit radio. ;)

Listen to any of Akon's tracks or "Paranoid" by Kanye West to hear what I'm talking about. Akon completely apes the house norm of sidechaining the beat, creating a really bassy and "pumping"/"choking" sound across the mix, while Kanye uses Auto-Tune+Vocoders (another Daft Punk innovation) as well as analog synths to create the quite unique sound of the album. Did anybody notice the pseudo-Moog Voyager sound across the entire album??

I agree (I guess) but this post just makes you sound like a Daft Punk fanboy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

mfaley posted:

I find it hard to get down with Nicki, from what I've heard. Her change in tempo and voice is really annoying and distracting. It sounds like a child just having fun into a microphone - set to music.

Reminds me of ODB, in the best way. I can see why it's a turnoff for some people though

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

Really? I don't see anything particular whiny about that post.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

On that note, are any of these Good Friday tracks actually album cuts or what?

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

Thrust On Moore posted:

I dunno, Dark Twisted Fantasy had a cleaner ring to it; Adding "My Beautiful" just adds a tone of narcissism to it. But of course, this isn't unusual for Kanye, so what am I even criticizing?

I don't mind the narcissism, as that comes with the product, but it's just clunky as hell. I'm just gonna call it Dark Twisted Fantasy for ease sake

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

That's...interesting.

Have Kanye and Em ever collabed on a track? I would like to hear that.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

Brett824 posted:

No because not only is that stupid, it's also already a title of a song on one of his mixtapes.

Wait a minute, are you really defending My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy?

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

Man, I love Monster but gently caress, Bon Iver's parts are grating as gently caress.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

Music videos are an artform though. To compare it to films or literature is missing the idea. Compare it to Thriller.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

DarkCompanion posted:

So it is art? but...but...that other guy said it wasn't...

Look, I honestly think you guys are really confused. You want this album/movie to receive the accolades of fine art without it having to do the real heavy lifting required of art. I'm giving Kanye his due respect here, I'm saying the man is trying to get people to take him and his music seriously as art and I honestly don't believe this forty minute long art film (it shares more in common with Fellini than it does thriller honestly) he did was attempting anything else. There's a scene where a bunch of black guys in white formal wear with diamond grills eat an elaborate dinner while being served on by white attendants, you don't think Kanye is trying to make a statement here about hip-hop being an artform?

My problem with the movie is simply that Kanye isn't skilled. The symbolism is confused at worst and juvenile at best. Kanye just lacks the self awareness, the philosophy, the conceptual vocabulary, to make something like this work. But I'm glad that he tried, that's what really matters.

I never said anything about appreciating the music video as a piece of fine art (whatever that means- nothing to me.). I just can't put every different type of artistry under the same blanket. Your use of the word is so vague and encompassing that it doesn't really mean anything.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

Jabe posted:

What is art ?

I tend to think it's not this superficial crap, it has absolutely no message or meaning other than the sole purpose of looking good.

You're wrong, but let's not get into the "WHAT IS ART" debate in yet another goddamn thread.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

IMO, if someone totally different came out with this exact product, it just wouldn't be the same. I think his work works even better knowing Kanye's self-image and big ego.

In particular, that his big return to the VMA's after the whole Taylor Swift was "Runaway" is why I love the guy. I was expecting some sort of ballad and maybe some sort of sweet apology. Instead, he brings us a song with a chorus that goes "let's have a toast for the douchebags..."

As for the movie, I love love love it...but man, he should have just made it dialogue-free. I really dug the first line "First rule of this world baby, don't pay attention to anything you see on the news!", but everything after that was hamfisted and cringeworthy.

So far, I think All of the Lights is my favorite new track. Such an empowering, heartmelting beat and hook.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

Brett824 posted:

I listened to All of the Lights but not Gorgeous (I've already heard most of it from the HOT97 "freestyle"). Honestly AotL is really cluttered and frantic and I don't really like it that much, but I'm sure it'll be a hit.

gently caress Fergie though.

All of the Lights is probably my favorite new track. I happen to love that there is so much going on the whole track.

but wait, is this leaked one the full-version that supposedly had 11 guests? If so I didn't hear this yet.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

I just heard it now, and I gotta agree. The Runaway version was probably my favorite

and what happened to Drake?!

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

This is a very good Q/A session bit and it gives a lot of insight to Kanye's lyrics, personal philosophies, etc. It's very interesting and makes me respect the man much more.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

atrus50 posted:

hey, so I guess the album is good

nothing to do except wait for the album to drop, then buy it, then listen to it in that order

You are a good Samaritan!

I know I'm going to buy it day one even if just for the packaging. I just can't wait any longer.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

I have to say, I honestly' haven't heard a hip-hop album like this before. I love the mass blending of "high culture" and pop culture.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

REY DE LA PLAYA posted:

The album is very musically interesting and impressive, but after watching that today show interview, reading his tweets, and really sitting down and analyzing his lyrics it he really comes across as someone who is not firing on all cylinders. When Jay-Z raps you can tell he's coming from a position of intelligence which really adds depth to his tracks. Kayne's stuff feels a little surface level.

Are you talking about Kanye's lyrical content? If so, I guess I agree to some extent but musically this album is an artistic achievement beyond any of his other albums IMO which makes up for some lackluster lyrics.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

cardedagain posted:

oh, and he went on record to tell Paul McCartney that he felt his album (Graduation?) deserved a Grammy more than Paul's album a few years ago.

First off, caring about Grammies isn't very hip hop; it's more pop nonsense than anything else.

Second off: Paul's white. another white person. Kanye publicly talks poo poo to white people more than any other race. case closed.

Yeah, but of course he wants his own album to win and of course he's going to say something about it. I really don't see the whole "scary black man harasses whites" aspect to this too much.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

zandert33 posted:

Let's get off the race nonsense.

The album is good and growing on me, but how can anybody say this is album of the year, or even decade (which is just silly) when Big Boi freakin killed it earlier in the year. Hip Hop fans have such short term memory sometimes (unless y'all just didn't like it, but that just doesn't seem possible).

It's almost like different people have different tastes.

But I agree (sort of). Big Boi's album was beastly. I'll have to give it time before I decide which one I like better.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

I don't like Jay's Monster verse either. Especially the beginning where he lists off a bunch of literal famous monsters, then says "what do these have in common-EVERYBODY KNOWS I'M A MUTHAFUCKIN MONSTA"

that makes NO SENSE GODDAMNIT.

I like his delivery on So Appalled a lot though.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

Heard posted:

I think the album is dark, overly so, and I don't think "Runaway" is a banger. It's lethargic with amateurish singing; I might not turn it if it pops up on the radio, but half of the reason for that is the intrigue the internet builds on his music, and I don't think he has the best stuff. I expect to see better releases from other mainstream rappers.

Why's it matter if it's not a "banger"? Hip-hop is diverse as rock and roll, why does every track have to be an energetic masturbatory power anthem?

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

It's not even that abstract. The phoenix literally says "anything that is different, people try to change". It hammers you over the head with the theme with every line of dialogue.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

Yup, All of the Lights is still my favorite track by far. It may not be much lyrically but musically I think it's one of the greatest pop songs ever.

I like So Appalled as well, especially that beat. The track I listen to the least and don't vibe much with is Blame Game honestly.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

Heard posted:

I've been having a bit of trouble seeing one foot in front of the other, so I apologize in advance if this comes off as complete, gratuitous overkill.

Re-listening again, the sheer immensity of his meticulousness, of his musical genius and attention to every feature of the beat shows that beyond hype, he created an album of immensely skilled attention to craft and mastery of hip hop, of a keenness to, and intention with, the sound of musical instrumentation in general. Every vibration and melodic switch. Every note that he adds. All the embellishments. The frantic percussion elements everywhere. It really is a classic to be treasured and admired for all ages. Say what you will about him but he certainly is trying harder than The Beatles. All the samples. Everything he did. it's all there. Production is top notch. The pauses he creates in the song, the added stuff; it goes beyond what a live rock band could ever do. Close to perfection. The notes are played as if there are musical masters playing, the flourishes underneath the main melody, a skilled black jazz pianist of another age behind the keys, which are forceful and purposeful, tactfully. And not to mention, his unexplainable ability to make each featured artist feel like an actor in a play, including himself. The vocal samples and insertions are great, too. Like he's talking back in forth. Doing stuff Lupe only wishes he could do to make his tracks live. The vocal effects are A+, as well. And amazingly, yes, the Chris Rock bit works. Unheard of. Kanye knows how to turn vocals into instrumentation, whether he modifies or modulates the vocals, and that'll probably be my last word on this album.

He was desperately grappling here, grasping for a classic, and he drat near did it. Best work he's done.

I love the album but this blurb is a whole lot of meaninglessness.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

hatersg2haet posted:

Not a Bad Album. Missing a lot of cuts that should be on it. Featuring a lot of cuts that shouldn't. Definitely needed more Bon Iver, for all the supposed poo poo they recorded, I mean Justin was saying that they spent 50 hours in the studio in Hawaii in one week, there has to be more content and Lost in The World is by far the most innovative track on there.

Kanye really branched out stylistically here, but he didn't branch out with the artists he featured outside of Bon Iver. I mean most of these guys are the same folks he's always worked with. He can sample anything and make it friendly to the Jay-Z crew. Where's the work produced by Girl Talk, Danger Mouse, or Madlib? With so much work done with Q-Tip where is De La Soul. Why not have alternative and independent rappers make a strong appearance on a Kanye album for once? Mf Doom, Aesop Rock, Das Racist, are all worthy of this more than loving Swizz Beatz and T-Pain.

Kanye West has shown himself as a transformative figure being one of the biggest artists to move away from the Gangster top 40 rap influence he inherited from Jay-Z. Nonetheless he still manages to feature enough Gangster rappers on this album to make me a bit sick. I'm just surprised Ludacris didn't show up. And most of the cuts featuring Lupe Fiasco and Kid Cudi were not featured nearly strong enought, not even mentioning that he could of worked with Mos Def and The Roots.

But I digress, it's a good album. The sad thing is it could of been a better one. Kanye built a lot of good Producers into this album from himself to Q-Tip and Boi-Rida. But with all that possibility of a new direction behind the scene Kanye took a predictable route with his guests here.

Maybe, but think about it. Dude has been releasing a new track almost every single week for quite a while now. Sure it might not all be on one album, but Ye's been putting out mad material lately

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

Surfingelectrode posted:

I bought the CD/DVD version earlier today, and while the packaging is really nice, I'm pretty upset that the artwork on the cover cards and CD label is censored. Even though the phoenix painting isn't on the cover, it's still censored anyways?

It's kind if funny that you can show someone's head impaled on a sword but not a crude painting of a breast.

Did you buy it at a big retailer like Best Buy or Wal-mart? If so that sucks because I was really looking forward to having the artwork and packaging but if it's censored everywhere, that's lame as hell.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

Anyone know who is singing the last variation of the chorus on All of the Lights? It sounds like old-time black gospel singers and I love it.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

The Modern Leper posted:

"I tried to tell you but all I can say . . ."? I don't have a source, but the general consensus is that it's Elton John.

No, I recognized that part as Elton. I mean the bit right before the beat comes back in. It's a repetition of "turn up the lights in here baby..." hook but with different vocalists.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

Bubble Bathory posted:

Yeah the mastering stands out when you listen to Late Registration, then listen to this album. Still, it hardly bothers me. I like that the album is too loud.

It's not that it's just "too loud", it's that you can hardly bump the thing at all and feel the percussion without everything else clipping to hell. I constantly finding myself starting tracks, then wanting so bad to turn them up so I can feel that bass but then I do and am disappointed

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

Jam2 posted:

when and where

He's said something like this on a few occasions. I believe in his GQ interview he mentioned it and I also saw it in a Q/A video posted some time ago. Sorry for no links! TRUST ME.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

poo poo is annoying. It feels like an insult having those cover inserts and one of them is just a blank mosaic.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

To me it's about the duality. The egoism and the self-loathing at once.

I haven't really sat down and analyzed every lyric or anything though.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

What I want to know is why did that guy just suddenly stopped obeying all rules of grammar in his second post.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

Five posts up.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

I like the video a lot, aside from Kid Cudi's part. I just love lots of flashing colored lights though. and Rihanna looks especially hot.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

I do wish they were just on the same track though.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

I love Devil in a New Dress, but I think the weakest link is Kanye himself. Just weak verse after weak verse. The song doesn't get really awesome until the guitar interlude and Rick Ross.

Blame Game is by far my least favorite track. What a horrible hook.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

TheJoker138 posted:

While I don't love the Rock thing, as I said earlier, it's not supposed to be a skit or jokey. It's a direct follow up to the last few lines of the song, about how her phone called him back while she was with another guy, and he heard her entire conversation with some other dude (Rock).

That may be true, but it doesn't mean it's not supposed to be humorous.

"Yeezy reupholstered my pussy"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

I loving love the video a lot.

• Locked thread