Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So Appalled is for sure the worst track on there. Jay's verses really are the worst on the album - luckily the Monster one has enough decent parts that it doesn't bog the song down at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I posted a link to Otis on fb and all I got were comments about how terrible the beat is and this saddened me because I think the beat is, while simplistic, really fantastic and effective. God dammit.

Also I wasn't really excited for Watch the Throne until I heard the song and now I can't wait. Even Jay's sections are miles above his flow on anything else recently

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Does Beyonce's hook in Lift Off seem really....awkward to anyone else? The whole song just feels off somehow. I can't put my finger on why.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This is a very schizophrenic, ambitious, odd album, and I really enjoy it. I can't pick out any standout tracks yet because it all went together as one thing really well. Gotta Have It is really good, and I still think Lift Off is awkward-sounding and probably my least favourite track on there.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm the opposite - Made In America and the bonus tracks excluded, this album gets better for me with every listen. What you see as "generalized" I just see as versatile, and most of the time it's just a really fun record to put on. The idea that it could only be enjoyed by critics or those damned hipsters is seriously funny to me

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Blast Fantasto posted:

You can very clearly hear Elton on the track during the Outro.

The "I tried to tell you" part

Yeah, "I tried to tell you but all I can say" part is Elton. I think the album notes say he plays the piano on the Interlude too.

And AotL is brilliant. That sound he gets from melding so many people together....yum.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So Appalled used to be my least favourite track on MBDTF too but that beat is really killer and Kanye/Pusha's verses are both fantastic. I thought Devil in a New Dress was almost the unspoken official worst track on that album

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
June Eighteen

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
"New Day" is just kind of funny now

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
New hilarious video up on kanyewest.com with Rick Rubin being a fat beardy gently caress

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What happened with Kanye and fashion?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

temple posted:

This is a good breakdown of how critics ripped him to shreds and why
http://www.businessinsider.com/kanye-west-fashion-collection-reviews-2012-9?op=1

Then he had this to say later

Thanks!

Listened to this album a whole bunch of times now and I love it despite the crappy lyrics, but for some reason my brain switches off completely for Guilt Trip and Send It Up. I can't recall what they sound like ever, which is weird. Although I was someone who really got into MBDTF for the big sweeping epic feel, I really love the minimalism on this too. I feel like it makes Blood on the Leaves seem even bigger (also is it just me or is Blood on the Leaves the closest Kanye ever gets to straight-up 808s crossed with MBDTF)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

thathonkey posted:

I generally think Kanye has pretty strong lyrics these days, or they're at least genuinely clever. Sometimes he gets a little lazy and rhymes the same word over and over or writes some really cringeworthy poo poo about sweet and sour sauce but those tend to be exceptions.

His verses on Gorgeous/Monster/So Appalled are seriously awesome.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

I've listened to the album a dozen times and I still can't remember what Guilt Trip and Send It Up sound like.

I had this problem! Send It Up made its way into my brain and now I think it's awesome. No such luck for Guilt Trip which is so far below the rest of the album for me that it's startling.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Prefuse posted:

congrats on the worst post in an already very bad topic. im glad even fat white homestuck fans that post in games can appreciate the mastepiece that is kanye wests 7th album "yeezus". *listens to black skinhead while playing marvle heroes* drat its like kanyes talkin about me...so brutal

You could at least have picked someone who wasn't posting fairly and being clear and reasonable about their opinions, y'know

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
People really hate the "Eatin' Asian pussy, all I need was sweet and sour sauce" line, but I think the whole point is that the idiocy and simplicity of it contrasts with the "Chasin' love, all the bittersweet hours lost" beforehand.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

alansmithee posted:

Maybe someone can help me out, I've been trying to find out where they speak Swaghili. I thought maybe it was one of the smaller African nations since the themes of racism and whatnot on the album, but there was no wikipedia entry for it. Is ita computer language (I'm not a programmer, so I don't know many of the newer ones)? It seems odd Kanye would've learned such an obscure language rather than French, or Japanese, or Spanish, or something like that.

swag + Swahili

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The lack of rap? Were we listening to a different album or something? This ain't 808s, there's far more rapping than autotune singing stuff

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

het posted:

I don't really think that's a bad line? Like it's actually a pun, I don't think there's an actual joke to the Asian pussy line.

The joke is that the line beforehand gives the impression of a sensitive, sympathetic guy who has failed to find love many times and then he contrasts it with the most stupid, sexual, cliched bullshit imaginable. It isn't subtle at all and the amount of people who genuinely still believe Kanye is this stupid buffoon who doesn't know what he's doing is astounding.

Or basically: the post above me is right about everything

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Blast Fantasto posted:

That's the best part about the whole thing. He was clearly right. That Beyonce video has become a classic, you show anyone a shot of just what Beyonce wears in it and they know what song / video it is.

I can't even remember what Taylor Swift song that was or what happens in the video.

Best part for me was that Beyonce did win Video of the Year and it became really obvious that the only reason she didn't win Swift's award was so she wouldn't just sweep it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
People have some kind of mental block where they would just genuinely rather believe an artist is a complete blithering retard than believe anything even vaguely related to something having a meaning below surface level.

It's pretty loving stupid.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

HorseRenoir posted:

For people complaining that the album doesn't have any lyrical substance to it....

Hey, this is great! I'd never really pinpointed it as having as a specific arc or anything, and although this is all obviously speculation I liked it a lot.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

atrus50 posted:

Kanye drops the ball quite a bunch but it doesn't matter cuz he's kanye and is generally pretty good at stuff, even dropped stuff. There's a good article on him "learning out loud" i found on this gaga fanblog (i was searching for yeezus concert pics on tumblr and stumbled on it) http://gagajournal.blogspot.com/2013/12/kanye-alive-limits-of-human-personality.html

just wanna second what a great article this is, managed to win over one of my friends who was like "hahaha kanye is a joke, he needs to read books" for months with this.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Frank Ocean too, but yeah, none of the rest iirc.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Justin Vernon's bit in That's My Bitch is kinda awesome.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think he may have done the little bridge bit in Dark Fantasy. "At the mall there was a seance..." etc.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
this song is the most ridiculous, bizarre, quintessentially kanye thing ever. but also the keyboards are awesome and it's a pretty drat good pop song??

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Nah you're basically right. I think the iTunes version had just Lupe and the CD had him doubled up with Kanye

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I loving love All Day studio but it really does seem to lose some momentum from the live version. Maybe it needs more low end?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
hahaha Corey Taylor is lame as gently caress. this is just a crappy attempt to promote his new book.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/kanye-west-blogs-back-calls-bonnaroo-organizers-squid-brains-20080625

lol

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yes let's definitely have another TPAB argument

but yeah I haven't listened to it in months either

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

HorseRenoir posted:

My ranking is

MBDTF
Yeezus
Late Registration
808s
College Dropout
Graduation

Graduation is a good album, but I'd definitely consider it his worst. It just feels like a collection of good singles rather than a cohesive statement like all of his other albums are.

This is probably the one I agree with the most so far

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm In It and Send It Up are both so good though?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The only not-good songs on Yeezus are this one and this one this is the objective truth

Hold My Liquor and Guilt Trip

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Profondo Rosso posted:

"Chasin' love, all the bittersweet hours lost;
Eatin' Asian pussy, all I need was sweet and sour sauce"
is my favorite kanye lyric. its just so perfect

People are not v. good at looking at things in their context

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Because the Internet has some good poo poo tbh

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

rear end Catchcum posted:

It just seems, compared to others here, I put a higher value on lyrics.

Did you just make this distinction up or what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh man that is a really really good verse

Also verse 2 of Gorgeous is so great too

• Locked thread