Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Chairman Capone posted:

I do think coronavirus will be a blessing in disguise to Star Wars in at least one way, it will give Lucasfilm a face-saving way to delay the 2022 movie and the Obi-Wan show, both of which seem like they need the extra time.

true but they can't really film poo poo either. i guess more time for ideas and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Yeah, that's what I was thinking - it's time for them to actually come up an idea ahead of time rather than just film on the fly to fit an arbitrary release date. Especially with Obi-Wan where it was just announced that they fired the original writer in January and someone was just hired to rewrite every episode, or the 2022 movie where there is no writer or director even attached.

Although apparently in the Disney release shuffle that was just announced, the Star Wars movie is still on for 2022. So maybe not.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Chairman Capone posted:

I do think coronavirus will be a blessing in disguise to Star Wars in at least one way, it will give Lucasfilm a face-saving way to delay the 2022 movie and the Obi-Wan show, both of which seem like they need the extra time.

Neither of those have new delayed; they even just released a bunch of updated theatrical release dates for stuff with Star Wars still slotted for December 2022.

e: didn't go to next page. Y'all know this already.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Since this thread has been a bit dry lately, I'll point out that Queen's Shadow (the post-TPM Padme book) is available for free in ebook form from now to May 8. I actually hadn't read it before, so I snagged it on Kindle, though not sure when I'll actually be able to get around to reading it.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Have any of the recent Star Wars books been solid? The last one I read was the Qui-gon one by Claudia Gray. I couldn’t get through the second thrawn book and didnt have any interest in the Galaxy’s edge books.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I don't think I've read any Star Wars books that have been published in the last few years. None of them have really grabbed me, though since I have it I'll probably read the Padme one now.

I have heard several people say that the junior novelization of Rise of Skywalker is the best version of the story (between movie, adult novelization, junior novelization) but that seems like the pinnacle of damning with faint praise.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
I enjoyed Alphabet Squadron as a change of pace and as a bit of a Rogue Squadron throwback.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Chairman Capone posted:

I don't think I've read any Star Wars books that have been published in the last few years. None of them have really grabbed me, though since I have it I'll probably read the Padme one now.

I have heard several people say that the junior novelization of Rise of Skywalker is the best version of the story (between movie, adult novelization, junior novelization) but that seems like the pinnacle of damning with faint praise.

I would honestly recommend /against/ the junior novelization of TRoS since it literally presents suicide/death as "going home" and a good thing.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I mean, the entire Star Wars series is full of characters who chose to let themselves be killed as a good and noble thing so I don't think that's really out of character for the movie. Unless it's changing the motivation of someone from the film? I honestly don't really remember who kills themselves in the movie so that is possible.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
It's Ben; his death is pushed forward as this good and happy thing. Incredibly hosed up that they're gonna just act like the extinction of the Skywalker line, and the death of the guy Han Luke and Leia all gave their lives trying to reach, is anything other than a brutal tragedy.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 23:19 on May 1, 2020

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The ambivalent posture towards death is one of the few surviving non-disneyized pieces of the samurai movie tradition left in star wars, it is at least apropos that you're against it

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
It's not ambivalent at all. It's literally put forward as a good thing that he dies, and that he's "going home"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

jivjov posted:

It's not ambivalent at all. It's literally put forward as a good thing that he dies, and that he's "going home"

So the thing here is that Star Wars unambiguously has a For Real Religion That Is Provably True and at least as far as we are shown in the films the afterlife for them involves some form of either genuinely positive life or an act of great redemption. So Ben Solo, Boy Who Murdered Trillions, getting to redeem himself and return to his family instead of going to whatever Force Hell is in fact a good thing as far as the characters are concerned.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I'm probably gonna have a Star Wars story coming out eventually unless saying this gets me fired?? so I look forward to tormenting jivjov.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

General Battuta posted:

I'm probably gonna have a Star Wars story coming out eventually unless saying this gets me fired?? so I look forward to tormenting jivjov.

I haven't read a Star Wars book in 15 years but suddenly I feel like getting back in.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

So the thing here is that Star Wars unambiguously has a For Real Religion That Is Provably True and at least as far as we are shown in the films the afterlife for them involves some form of either genuinely positive life or an act of great redemption. So Ben Solo, Boy Who Murdered Trillions, getting to redeem himself and return to his family instead of going to whatever Force Hell is in fact a good thing as far as the characters are concerned.

I was basically going to say this but you said it better. Additionally, the stakes of death in star wars were low before the sequel trilogy and ended it even lower. Getting all chuffed up over the extinction of the skywalker line is hollow when there is no such thing as extinction in star wars, no one is ever really gone

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

ImpAtom posted:

Ah yes...because being rent asunder from one's soulmate is good. Never getting to ever come back home is good. Not having any kind of living atonement is good.

What is it with star wars fans and the obsession with blood sacrifice?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

jivjov posted:

Ah yes...because being rent asunder from one's soulmate is good. Never getting to ever come back home is good. Not having any kind of living atonement is good.

you don't have to agree with the jedi philosophy but it makes sense that the jedi and jedi-adjacent characters in-universe do. like, these are buddhist monks with swords in space, did you think they were going to avoid the whole "acceptance of death" part?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

jivjov posted:

Yeah, what is it with Star Wars fans accepting the idea of "characters embracing their death as a noble sacrifice" as a standard trope of the series? I mean, it's not like Obi-Wan, Vader, Han, Luke, the entire cast of Rogue One, and Leia also did it.

I mean hell, we are explicitly told that Leia committed Force suicide in order to distract her last living family member so Rey could kill him as the only way to cure him of being evil. That's pretty hosed up.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Chairman Capone posted:

I mean hell, we are explicitly told that Leia committed Force suicide in order to distract her last living family member so Rey could kill him as the only way to cure him of being evil. That's pretty hosed up.

Yeah, TROS is supremely hosed up. The bad guys win, the war continues forever, sheev is immortal and the skywalkers are eradicated.

Tragic endings are fine, a perfectly valid literary choice...but its not very Star Wars-y

Jazerus posted:

you don't have to agree with the jedi philosophy but it makes sense that the jedi and jedi-adjacent characters in-universe do. like, these are buddhist monks with swords in space, did you think they were going to avoid the whole "acceptance of death" part?
I don't like seeing the lifelong abuse victim get told "Nope, you don't get to come home. You just have to die. You can never atone. Your parents replaced you. gently caress off into this hole. All those jedi spirits that you wished you could talk to your whole life? They have a new best friend now." Ben was never a "buddhist monk with a sword in space".

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
What happened on Twitter to create people with such intense feelings about Ben Solo. I've seen professional writers going on hundred-tweet tears for hours about the ending they were OWED. I get having strong feelings over fandom but this seems...beyond the norm.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I mean... Adam Driver's super hot.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

ImpAtom posted:

you dont see him floating with mommy and uncy luke so maybe force hell or force purgatory.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Ben literally, canonically, explicitly, was abused all his life and doesn't even get a happy ending at the end of it. He just drops dead, unmissed, unmourned, unremembered. And he's just GONE. Anakin gets to come back as a force ghost (and a young and hale and hearty force ghost in the most recent canonical depiction). Ben just vanishes forever. Great message for kids, there.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Yeah, kids should have more sympathy for the guy who is depicted as the Star Wars equivalent of a school shooter before becoming galactic fascist dictator. He was innocent all along!

Give me a loving break. This is the same level of thinking that produced endless social media posts about how "Actually, Thanos was right!"

But hey, as long as you had a lovely childhood, becoming a mass murderer is perfectly justified. Kids need to be taught that lesson!

Also, show me the evidence that Ben was "literally, canonically, explicitly" abused all his life, because so far the only evidence we've seen is that Snoke would speak to him and tell him that he was 100% right in feeling jealous and inadequate.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

He had exactly the same arc as Vader so maybe he's happy in the end?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Chairman Capone posted:

Yeah, kids should have more sympathy for the guy who is depicted as the Star Wars equivalent of a school shooter before becoming galactic fascist dictator. He was innocent all along!

Give me a loving break. This is the same level of thinking that produced endless social media posts about how "Actually, Thanos was right!"

But hey, as long as you had a lovely childhood, becoming a mass murderer is perfectly justified. Kids need to be taught that lesson!

Also, show me the evidence that Ben was "literally, canonically, explicitly" abused all his life, because so far the only evidence we've seen is that Snoke would speak to him and tell him that he was 100% right in feeling jealous and inadequate.

Oh, so you haven't consumed any star wars media featuring Ben Solo. Cool. Maybe do that before chiming in to a discussion you don't know anything about.

E: On the off chance you're being sincere (which I doubt, given your "thanos was right" comparison), Start with The Last Jedi. Pepper in the Snoke one-shot comic, the Rise of Kylo Ren comic series, and if you can stomach it add in Rise of Skywalker.

General Battuta posted:

He had exactly the same arc as Vader so maybe he's happy in the end?

Vader was at least remembered and mourned after his death. He got some love and acceptance from the other Jedi spirits, his son held a funeral for him.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 04:32 on May 2, 2020

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Ignoring all that dumb comic book poo poo (he says recalling the complete run of Tales of the Jedi floppies somewhere in his mom's basement), there are absolutely things that you can read in Adam Driver's performance in TFA as being indicative of something sinister about his upbringing. The way he flinches when talking with Han, the weird earnest way he talks about Snoke and his desire to kill Han. It's clearly just Adam Driver being really good at acting rather than anything textual, because lol if you think Disney would let Han be an abusive parent.

As much as I love TLJ, Driver drops that element of his acting (but keeps up the slightly uncomfortable straight-forwardness) and the movie is weaker for it, especially when you have a major plot element of Kylo being betrayed by a father figure.

TROS does gently caress all with it, but honestly I can't blame anybody involved for underselling that script.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
TLJ absolutely continues that element of his performance. Look specifically at the moment when rey tries to pull the lightsaber away from Snoke and he bats her in the head with it. Without even looking, Ben dodges out of the way of it. He knows Snoke's MO, he knows the petty violence he dishes out.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Oh huh, the SW book thread has a bunch of new posts out of nowhere, wonder what bullshit... yep, it's sequel chat.

Anyway, definitely pick up Queen's Shadow, it's low-stakes but there's some solid character work for Padme (like the most she's gotten yet, as damning for the prequel era as that is). Very similar tonally to the Princess of Alderaan YA book from a few years back, and ties in pretty well to the current Darth Vader comic arc - though it's anyone guess when they'll get to complete that.

Also, very cool that Battuta gets to make his mark on the universe. Is it something already announced?

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 23:25 on May 2, 2020

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Can someone help me? I'm trying to track down a video that I think was linked here or in another star wars thread talking about the single most complex special effect shot in return of the Jedi. It was some technical designation but I can't remember the name.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

jivjov posted:

Ben literally, canonically, explicitly, was abused all his life and doesn't even get a happy ending at the end of it. He just drops dead, unmissed, unmourned, unremembered. And he's just GONE. Anakin gets to come back as a force ghost (and a young and hale and hearty force ghost in the most recent canonical depiction). Ben just vanishes forever. Great message for kids, there.

The Sith have always been about pushing immortality above all else. Screw family, screw the condition of your actual body, just keep living. The Jedi learned to accept death and, through that, achieve life after death through the Force. Ben dies, as does the Skywalker bloodline, but the point of Rey taking on the Skywalker name is that the Skywalkers will live on through her. Life after death. It's clumsy, for sure, but it's there. The Skywalkers have achieved that same oneness with the Force that the Jedi eventually found. The bloodline doesn't matter. Not really. The Skywalkers, and the Jedi, live on in Rey.

As for Ben, there's no reason to believe he won't achieve that same life after death. Just because we didn't see his Force ghost doesn't mean anything. We didn't see Qui-Gon's Force ghost immediately in The Phantom Menace either, only heard it (very) briefly in AOTC and then saw it in The Clone Wars. Ben found his peace and has Leia and Luke, his mother and uncle, to help guide his path (as the original scripts for ROTJ say Obi-Wan and Yoda would do for Anakin, yes I know this isn't canon but I don't care, it's in the bones of Star Wars).

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jun 8, 2020

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
https://www.starwars.com/news/empire-at-40-from-a-certain-point-of-view-the-empire-strikes-back-cover

https://twitter.com/DelReyStarWars/status/1271227381047537664

So happy they're doing this for ESB too

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Hell yeah. The first one was a fun, if inconsistent (which I realize is sort of the point) little jaunt.

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jun 12, 2020

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Really hope they bring back Nnedi Okorafor. She can do the wampa this time.

I remember the Tusken and R-5 ones also being good. Outside of the Journal of the Whills and the illustrated one, none of the others really stand out in my memory.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

I really enjoyed Daniel Lavery's one, I hope they get him back.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

The only one who's confirmed as back so far is Gary Whitta.

https://twitter.com/garywhitta/status/1271231676190871553?s=20

Otherwise, there's a whole bunch of new authors contributing to this, including:

Brittany Williams
Karen Strong
Rebecca Huang
Austin Walker
Tracy Deonn
Lydia Kang

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Of them, I only know Gary Whitta and RF Kuang, but Kuang is pretty solid.

Apparently Cat Valente is writing one too. I have mixed emotions about Valente, but I do think her short fiction is generally a lot better than her longform writing, so that's something.

Edit: Mark Oshiro too though, and he loving sucks.

cptn_dr fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jun 12, 2020

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Okay, here's a proper thread of all the authors:

https://twitter.com/seh221/status/1271228520581267458?s=20

Looks like Delilah S. Dawson and Daniel Jose Older are back.

edit: Also, was this the mysterious Star Wars project Battuta was referring to up-thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

cptn_dr posted:

Edit: Mark Oshiro too though, and he loving sucks.

As an author, or just in general?