Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Hmm... back to Tatooine again? Other than that, it looks good. Like the boat - you don't generally get that kind of visual setting in Star Wars. In terms of the movies/shows I guess that early scene in TPM was the closest. Also really loved Gamorrean boxing ring. Definitely looking forward to it.

Also relevant, the 7 minute CGI short trailer for (what I guess is) the main Imperial character from Squadrons:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2VmOqjV_7Q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Chairman Capone posted:

Hmm... back to Tatooine again? Other than that, it looks good. Like the boat - you don't generally get that kind of visual setting in Star Wars. In terms of the movies/shows I guess that early scene in TPM was the closest. Also really loved Gamorrean boxing ring. Definitely looking forward to it.

Also relevant, the 7 minute CGI short trailer for (what I guess is) the main Imperial character from Squadrons:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2VmOqjV_7Q

its the squadron leader. i think the characters you play as replace the people who died in that battle(bomber lady and southern rebel).

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

So anyone picked up Squadrons yet? Storyline good, gameplay fun?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Chairman Capone posted:

So anyone picked up Squadrons yet? Storyline good, gameplay fun?

Single player story is pretty basic but okay. Gameplay is good and a lot of the vets from the old X-wing and TIE fighter days like it.

If you’re curious about more, I’d say check the thread for it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
The Star Wars Books twitter account is currently revealing all 40 stories in the ESB FACPOV anthology--we've got some fun stuff coming.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Reveal my story daddy disney

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

They don't have to be canon but are there any good books based in the Filoni side of the universe?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

PriorMarcus posted:

They don't have to be canon but are there any good books based in the Filoni side of the universe?

Dark Disciple is literally adapted from 8 unproduced Clone Wars scripts, A New Dawn chronicles Hera and Kanan's first meeting, the first Thrawn book of the new set has a bunch of stuff from Governor Pryce in addition to setting up Thrawn's role in Rebels, The Clone Wars: Stories of Light and Dark has a bunch of short stories that are based on Clone Wars eps but from a new perspective or with internal character monologue.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The first (of the Disney-era) Thrawn books was decent (second sucked, haven't bothered with any additional ones) but it's also one of the few times that I think the comic adaptation is preferable. It condenses the story in just the right way (I like Zahn but a lot of his later-period stuff has a lot of dross) and the art added a lot to the story for me.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Chairman Capone posted:

The first (of the Disney-era) Thrawn books was decent (second sucked, haven't bothered with any additional ones) but it's also one of the few times that I think the comic adaptation is preferable. It condenses the story in just the right way (I like Zahn but a lot of his later-period stuff has a lot of dross) and the art added a lot to the story for me.

my issue is i think the rebels show for all its flaws did a decent job with thrawn because his portrayal is more like the old books. a very smart dude who can get tricked but is also super ruthless and willing to work with monsters. the books kinda make thrawn sorta of a mary sue where he is basically just Robert downy junior sherlock Holmes down to the slow mo thinking fights/moments. it works in the first one but after that book its just him loving around with vader and other dumb poo poo which has some fun moments but all the prequel stuff is boring.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
This is a great breakdown of the various Shadows of the Empire projects, including a long interview with one of the devs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gsmE_hoNsI

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Doctor Spaceman posted:

This is a great breakdown of the various Shadows of the Empire projects, including a long interview with one of the devs.

Oh man. Bookmarking this to watch later. The whole Shadows of the Empire project is one that really interests me in all of its facets.

If you're really interested in SOTE, this book is worth checking out:

http://sequart.org/books/47/a-more-civilized-age-exploring-the-star-wars-expanded-universe/

Most of the essays are internet fan post level, but the SOTE one is one of the few gems of it. The author actually conducted interviews with almost all of the creatives involved, so it's a genuinely unique behind the scenes look at the decisions made in the development of Shadows.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I remember my brother kept hyping that show The Toys That Made Us on Netflix, and the first (?) episode is on Star Wars. And it's, like, alright for most of it, but when they get to the 90's, they completely skip over the whole Shadows of the Empire era. And yeah, that was more than just toys, but toys were a big part of it. And I was really looking forward to hearing them talk about the whole multimedia blitz Shadows was. So to skip from the late 80's to Episode I was super disappointing, and made me realize that show was probably going to be poo poo for the other topics I knew less about.

Going to give this a watch later when I get the chance. Thanks!

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

thrawn527 posted:

I remember my brother kept hyping that show The Toys That Made Us on Netflix, and the first (?) episode is on Star Wars. And it's, like, alright for most of it, but when they get to the 90's, they completely skip over the whole Shadows of the Empire era. And yeah, that was more than just toys, but toys were a big part of it. And I was really looking forward to hearing them talk about the whole multimedia blitz Shadows was. So to skip from the late 80's to Episode I was super disappointing, and made me realize that show was probably going to be poo poo for the other topics I knew less about.

90's also gave us a huge resurgence in the toy department when The Special Editions came out. "Star Wars Action Fleet" was my absolute favorite toyline as a child. And don't forget those busts of characters heads that unfolded into playsets.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

thrawn527 posted:

The Barbie episode is the best episode of that show.

No, seriously, it’s super fascinating.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Action Fleet was the most baller rear end toyline. I had a friend in elementary school who was “the rich kid” and he had the giant weirdly-proportioned Kenner vehicles and poo poo that fit the 3.5” figures, and I still thought the Action Fleet ships were cooler.

I actually still have an Action Fleet A-Wing on my home office desk.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Hazo posted:

Action Fleet was the most baller rear end toyline. I had a friend in elementary school who was “the rich kid” and he had the giant weirdly-proportioned Kenner vehicles and poo poo that fit the 3.5” figures, and I still thought the Action Fleet ships were cooler.

I actually still have an Action Fleet A-Wing on my home office desk.

Ditto, I’ve got an A-wing hanging out on my computer desk as well. :cool::hf::cool:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Action Fleet owned and I know I got 10 or 12 of them still packed away somewhere, including a few X-wings and Y-wings with different markings.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Xenomrph posted:

Ditto, I’ve got an A-wing hanging out on my computer desk as well. :cool::hf::cool:

:cool::hf::cool: excellent taste my man

I actually have the whole A-Wing evolution line because it’s been my favorite ship since I was a teenager playing X-Wing.

I’ve got the die cast metal green prototype from Rebels, the Action Fleet version from RotJ, and a snap-together model of Tallie’s blue RZ-2 fighter from The Last Jedi that makes laser sounds :3:

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

As a reminder, Mandalorian Season 2 debuts tomorrow.

I also just realized that tomorrow is also the 8th anniversary of the Disney purchase announcement. Maybe this is just me, but I feel like Star Wars now feels kind of as aimless as it did in 2012, when the initial post-ROTS flurry had died out. Actually, thinking about it, it's kind of marked how in 2005, the "final" movie was followed by at least a few good years of really exciting EU works, while Episode IX feels like it completely drained the fandom.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Ya well nothing really beats the dumbass poo poo they did during and past NJO sooo

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
They dropped a look at the new villains in the High Republic series. They... kinda remind me of the Vong?

https://www.starwars.com/news/inside-star-wars-the-high-republic-meet-the-villains

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

VaultAggie posted:

They dropped a look at the new villains in the High Republic series. They... kinda remind me of the Vong?

https://www.starwars.com/news/inside-star-wars-the-high-republic-meet-the-villains

so are they like mad max reavers empire type deal? also a speices of mini biollante.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

About the first episode of Mandalorian S2, relevant to this thread:

I was surprised that Cobb Vanth/Mos Pelgo/the Mining Collective taking over the town after Endor were used. Those are all from the Aftermath books. One of the ironies of the continuity reboot is that the live-action productions under Disney have actually made a lot of references to the old EU, but almost none to the Disney-era EU. Aside from this episode, the valachord mention in Solo (also a reference to Aftermath) is the only other one that came to mind.

And funny that after Episode IX, we now also have confirmed that Boba Fett survived the sarlacc, yet another bit that originated in Dark Empire.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
I, for one, cannot wait for the appearance of Kuat of Kuat.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Preechr posted:

I, for one, cannot wait for the appearance of Kuat of Kuat.

The Kuat of Kuat from Kuat that hosted the Kuat Drive Yards?!

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

VaultAggie posted:

I thought the exact same thing when I read about them. I hope this isn't going to just be NJO 2.0. I think I'm going to wait for the reviews for the first few before I consider bothering with any of these. In the past I've generally stayed away from stuff predating the original trilogy, anyway.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Speaking of, my girlfriend has been binge-watching Grey's Anatomy and there's one episode where one doctor talks about how Han Solo and Princess Leia got married and had Jedi twins. Was kind of surprising to see a bit of the EU get referenced in such a big piece of mainstream culture.

Raphael Sbarge was in an episode, too. It was really strange to hear Carth Onasi and Kaiden's voice come from someone who looks completely different.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Um actually I’ll have you know that that’s Scorch from Republic Commando. :colbert:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Actually he's the LT in charge of Zebra Squad from Starship Troopers Roughnecks Chronicles.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Having now read about half of the new ESB FACPOV book that released yesterday, I can say with confidence that General Battuta knocked it out of the drat park on his story

Also was that a loving Auralnauts reference

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I’m not talking about butt, Duke.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Just saw that the Legends short stories from Star Wars Insider are going to be reprinted in book form, including new artwork. A lot of them aren't available anywhere any more, either being featured on the official site but then taken down, or just never reprinted anywhere, including Matt Stover's final piece of Star Wars work, the short story tie-in to the Plagueis novel.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I’m talking about asssssssss

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Coming for that rear end...

Question for you Battuta. The Expanse authors recently said that they couldn't use original planets for their Star Wars story because nobody would buy it if they didn't recognize something. Did you encounter any pushback from Disney or LFL to conform your story to their requests/stipulations?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Arcsquad12 posted:

they couldn't use original planets for their Star Wars story because nobody would buy it if they didn't recognize something.

That’s profoundly stupid. Part of the allure of Star Wars is that new stories would introduce new worlds, aliens, technology, vehicles, etc. Like, the old EU had multiple editions of Essential Guides chronicling that stuff. The West End Games RPG made the backbone of the old EU by constantly introducing new planets and poo poo.

The biggest problem with the post-Disney EU is that everything feels too “small”, and this apparent mindset of “only use familiar stuff” is a huge part of that problem.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

Coming for that rear end...

Question for you Battuta. The Expanse authors recently said that they couldn't use original planets for their Star Wars story because nobody would buy it if they didn't recognize something. Did you encounter any pushback from Disney or LFL to conform your story to their requests/stipulations?

The only notes were continuity with an upcoming project (turned out to be Squadrons) and less violent descriptions of blaster wounds. Also to spell it “Canonhaus” instead of “Kanonhaus” to avoid confusion with Kanan Jarrus.

The Haruun Kal refs were just me loving on Stover. And I tried to tie into other characters just because it felt respectful to make an effort to acknowledge other Disney EU authors.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So I started watching season 2 of the Mandolorian and I’m think man I’m love to get my kids some Pablo Hidalgo books (love tech manuals and visual guides) and I was like oh cool I should see if he’s on Twitter and I go to Twitter....and what the gently caress happened with Hidalgo and people wanting his head?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

MazelTovCocktail posted:

So I started watching season 2 of the Mandolorian and I’m think man I’m love to get my kids some Pablo Hidalgo books (love tech manuals and visual guides) and I was like oh cool I should see if he’s on Twitter and I go to Twitter....and what the gently caress happened with Hidalgo and people wanting his head?

He made some really crass jokes about people who are upset at this latest episode's lovely treatment of mothers. Including tweeting "I have it on good authority the frog woman is just laying eggs to get government money"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

jivjov posted:

He made some really crass jokes about people who are upset at this latest episode's lovely treatment of mothers. Including tweeting "I have it on good authority the frog woman is just laying eggs to get government money"

Oh that’s it? Like I thought he did something really wrong and creepy, like sex pest stuff.