Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
Another good book series that should be put in the OP is Coruscant Nights. Four books (only three published so far) with, for the most part, minimal appearances by the major canon characters, and even fewer by random background characters from the movies. Essentially film noir, as a book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Barudak posted:

I got a question, which I'm sure comes up all the time but it was bugging me at work today. What os the canonical explanation for the staggering number of humans seen in the films/books. Is it that the central part of the galaxy is particularly rife with them, humans killed everybody off in a series of brutal wars, or did they get really frisky with a cloner to outpace everyones reproductive cycles?
Manifest destiny, basically. Humanocentrism and the belief that humanity is destined to rule the stars goes all the way back to the first time humanity launched a sleeper ship into space. What better way to rule said stars than by loving like rabbits so you have as much of a presence as possible?

Torael_7 posted:

About the only advantage I can think of when it comes to blasters is that they're (in theory) lighter. Or at least, the ammo is lighter, and you can carry less of it for a given weight/volume.

Or something. I don't know.
You're exactly right, actually. A power pack for even a simple blaster pistol can provide anywhere from 50 all the way up to 100 shots (and rifles can have even more) and be changed out in under a second. Slugs, on the other hand, weigh a lot more, and you generally have to reload more often and take a little longer doing so. It's about efficiency. Slug magazines are usually larger than power packs, too, even disregarding the number of shots per.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Mister_Eel posted:

Ok that's it.

http://www.creativeuncut.com/gallery-07/swfu-at-at-walker.html

I'm so sick of these Star Wars.
This. This one image sums up every single thing I loathe about TFU, and why I wish it were explicitly declared to be Infinities.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Throb Robinson posted:

Rogue Leader sucks compared to the other Rogue games. They even managed to squeeze the fun out of like the 7 space missions they put in there.
You're thinking of Rebel Strike. Rogue Leader was the middle one with the awesome movie battles.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

TorpedoFish posted:

Speaking of Star Wars vehicles...I'm willing to accept that space fighters have 'wings' - fine, maybe you need to land on planets sometimes and anyway it's just a movie. But is there any explanation as to why the wings have to be set in "attack position" for combat...in space? In a vacuum? Where there is no air, therefore no way for wings to generate lift or do anything useful other than look cool?
In space, the wings basically function as heat sinks. Having the two wings be able to split into four increases their total surface area, and therefore the rate at which heat can dissipate; given that space is essentially a vacuum with only occasional pockets of molecular hydrogen to transfer the heat to, it's important to have as much of that surface area as possible to take advantage of what tiny trace amounts of matter there are.

edit: That'll learn me to post before refreshing.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Casimir Radon posted:

Can somebody hand over the proof that Lucas considers TFU movie level, I need some more poo poo to throw at these bastards.
Here you go:

Time Magazine posted:

the video game will serve as George Lucas' official median between 2005's Star Wars: Episode III — Revenge of the Sith and 1977's Star Wars: Episode IV — A New Hope.

IMDB posted:

Writers:
George Lucas (characters and universe), George Lucas (story)

G-canon is, officially, anything that has GL's direct input or is produced by him, and I'd say that being written by him qualifies as direct input.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Sometimes they do.

Granted there are more than one and only one of them is the actual bridge, but it's still sticking out there like a sore thumb, and I'm pretty sure it's the biggest and most obvious one.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

I counted three on that list that I'd actually like to see movies of: 11 (Jedi Twilight), 20 (Republic Commando; the Xbox version, not the KT version), and 23 (Rogue Squadron). The rest just boggle the mind, aside from maybe Dark Forces.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

KaLogain posted:

That would be pretty cool, but one problem is that Darth Vader's TIE Fighter had shields, unlike other TIE Fighters, so thats "why" Han and/or Chewie didn't fire on him.
X-wings have shields too, and they still seemed to die pretty easily.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

ScottyJSno posted:

I got a question. Did anybody read the book "Star Wars Galaxies: The Ruins of Dantooine?"

It is one of the few Star Wars books I have not read, and I would like to know if it is worth my time.
I read it. I wish I hadn't.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

tin can made man posted:

I mean, Jabba the Hutt could be seen as a super offensive Arab stereotype, if you chose to read him as such. He's fat, opulent, lives in a desert palace, keeps several female slaves, smokes a hookah, talks in a funny foreign language, and keeps court over a silk-draped den of thieves.
Not only that, but "Hutt" was derived from "ḥawt," the Arabic term for "whale."

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

stawk Archer posted:

God that's so fuckin retarded.
It's also, thankfully, non-canon. The Ultra-class has never been featured in any licensed work, or for that matter, any non-licensed work aside from one dude's fanart.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Starhawk64 posted:

Also, why do ships from the prequel trilogy look so much more shinier and advanced than the ones from the original trilogy? (Besides better special effects of course). Did the Empire set everyone back a few decades or something?
The simplest explanation is that the Rebellion doesn't really have access to a whole bunch of shiny new technology and generally takes what scraps they can get their hands on. The Empire, on the other hand, while it's available to them, they prefer a different design aesthetic.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Starhawk64 posted:

Speaking of cannon fodder, are the Stormtroopers supposed to be clones? It can't be coincidence that they look like the Clone Troopers from the prequel trilogy. If they are clones, it adds a bit of :psyduck: factor as they are such poor shots and die so easily, unless the Empire decided to take shortcuts with the cloning process, making copies of copies and we all know that copying a copy results in an even more inferior copy.
Some are clones, some are not. After the Kamino incident, the Empire switched to open recruitment for the Stormtrooper corps, and used I think either the top 5% or the top 10% of recruits as templates for clones.

As for being poor shots, you really have to look at context. They certainly seemed like good shots when boarding the Tantive IV, and when they were shooting at the heroes on the Death Star, it's likely that they were simply trying to herd them onto the Falcon. The Empire put a tracker aboard, remember, and if they kill the heroes, then they can't fly the Falcon back to the rebel base.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

Question about ESB, where did Luke's ladder go when he left Dagobah?
My only two guesses are A) Yoda used the Force to load it into the X-wing's underside cargo compartment; or B) Luke didn't care about littering so he left it behind.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

NeonTurtle posted:

Booster Terrik. He managed to get a Star Destroyer to surrender to his barely-armed space station.
To be fair, he made them think it was actually really heavily armed by installing several hundred missile lock systems on it. He just didn't bother installing more than a few actual missile launchers.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Propaganda is a powerful thing.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Powered Descent posted:

So that's ten by my count. Am I missing any?
Eleven; you missed Zam Wesell's hand in AotC.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Admiral Goodenough posted:

I think it was someone in the last Megathread who posted about the choir piece (Augie's Great Municipal Band) at the end TPM mimicking the Imperial March.

I've tried but I can't hear it. What am I supposed to listen for?
As the TheCommodore07 said, it's not the Imperial March; it's the Emperor's theme, which you hear when he's landing aboard the second Death Star. Compare the vocals of each.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Mmtheblue posted:

What does the "TK" in Stormtrooper designations mean?
Canonically? Absolutely nothing. It's just part of a serial number. There's also TB, LX, DSS, TBR, etc. TK just happens to be the most common because writers want to reference the movies.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

PlasticPaddy posted:

Is there any truth to Lucas' assertion that he's had the whole series planned out? For instance,what would 1977 George Lucas be able to tell us about the Clone Wars,or Palpatines political maneuvering.
Absolutely not. It wasn't even originally supposed to be a trilogy; GL only decided to make it one after the original gave him tons of money.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Gammatron 64 posted:

And for the record, Rebel Pilots > Jedi. Back in the 90's Rogue Squadron was all the rage, now it's all nerds with lightsabers on youtube. Give me another flight sim, Lucasarts.
gently caress yes. Jedi can go jump off a cliff; pilots are where the real awesome is at. I dream of the day when we get another good flight sim. My ideal one would be an Ace Combat-esque arcadey sim with both a solid Rebel campaign and a solid Imperial campaign, each one spanning from the early days of the war up until the war officially ended in like 18 ABY, plus solid multiplayer, including scaled-difficulty co-op.

For that matter, I'd be happy with the X-wing series being remade in a modern engine with modern graphics, since I never got a chance to play them back when the graphics were considered good.

But it'll never happen, because there aren't enough of people like us to make Lucas massive gobs of cash from flight sims, so we just keep getting mindless magic-and-glowbat games. :(

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Chairman Capone posted:

What ever happened to that group of fans who were going to restore everything that was cut? Did they ever get anywhere near completion?
Various infighting has basically held it hostage since forever. Another group managed to do their own version, though, which was basically the same; you can find it here.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Ninja_Orca posted:

Expect them to poo poo all over the best parts of KOTOR II in a move that will surprise no one and anger everyone.
Sounds about right. From what I've read, BW is basically pretending Kotor II never happened.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Sithalchemist posted:

Edit: It occurs to me that this thread focuses mainly on discussion questions, so what is your favorite/most hated SW game? My favorite would be X-Wing Alliance. It beats out X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter by a slim margin because of the storyline, great graphics, and solid controls. My most reviled game would be a Phantom Menace PC game that had atrocious graphics and level design. It was a top-down view that made things very confusing, and the game was just overall sloppily put together.
I have three different favourites, one for story, one for gameplay, and one for premise. Story, obviously, is Kotor II; I personally think it's one of the best-told stories in the entire EU, if not one of the best in gaming, period—certainly one of the best since Baldur's Gate and its sequels. For gameplay itself, I'd absolutely have to say Rogue Squadron II, because gently caress yeah starfighters. Third category goes to the first podracing game (never played the second but I heard it sucked), because podracing, by which I mean goddamn rocket chariots, is the single coolest thing to come out of the prequels by a wide margin; this includes Qui-Gon. It's the reason I haven't given away my N64.

For least favourite, I'll put up Bounty Hunter. Hooooly poo poo, this was a bad game. The premise was pretty cool, and the gimmick (independent aiming of dual-wielded blasters) was a neat idea, but the execution of the entire thing was terrible, especially said gimmick. I don't think I played past the level where you get Slave I because it was just so tedious.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

RagnarokAngel posted:

I did. It obviously doesn't fix the movie, I dont think anything outside of an actual remake could, but it does take a lot of steps to make it more bearable to watch. It cuts out the silly stuff, and one thing I really liked is that he reverses the audio for all the aliens so it lets them speak in "alien language" and rewrite the dialouge (with subtitles) to be more compelling.
They actually didn't just reverse it; they took the alien dialogues from the foreign-language dubs and then reversed it, while making sure to keep proper nouns forward. It's a really neat effect and remarkably well-done.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

WhyteRyce posted:

Yes they would have but then NJO fans would just counter with the "but the Vong couldn't be countered through traditional means!!!!" argument which I found to be the most :rolleyes: aspect of that god-awful series.
I love the NJO and I agree that the Empire would've mobilized at the first threat and completely exterminated them before they got anywhere near Coruscant.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Palpatine's just better at multitasking.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

hannibal posted:

Funny you should mention that, I just dug these out of a box the other day.

(Sorry for grainy cell phone photo)

Those things were the best. I think I had all of those ones except the AT-AT and TIE Interceptor, but I had the TIE Defender to make up for the lack. I have no clue where any of them are any more, and it makes me sad.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

LLJKSiLk posted:

Were there any Imperial programs in place that weren't designed to inspire fear?

For example, naming all your ships things like "Intimidator" and "Devastator" all seem fairly jingoistic in terms of the military industrial complex.
Not very many, no.

LLJKSiLk posted:

Was there really a anti non-human policy in the Empire, or was the prevalence of cloning and efficiency (i.e. one size uniforms, cockpits, etc.) the reason for the overwhelming homo-sapiens presence?
There absolutely was.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Yeah, the canon settings are that Revan was male and the Exile was female. Needless to say, countless bottom-feeders bitched about how the Exile couldn't be female, about how it smacked the face of Star Wars' tradition. The Star Wars fanbase is filled with manchildren who would make Lucas proud.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Admiral Goodenough posted:

Aren't there any other traditional Jedi weapons? Has there ever been a Jedi who just went "gently caress this close combat poo poo, I'm getting a blaster"?
Not technically Jedi, and in fact the Jedi order actually looked down on them, but yes, there have been.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

You can also see one opening its S-foils as they're approaching the DS.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

NGL posted:

The open S-foils on the X-Wing make it roughly X-shaped.
A bird's eye view of the Y-Wing show it to be roughly Y-shaped, despite not having wings.

When designing new ships for ROTJ, they came up with two concepts for rebel fighters. They were originally just labeled "A Ship" and "B Ship". When it came to naming them, Lucasfilm just changed "Ship" to "Wing", presumably due to the A-Wing's resemblance to the letter A. The rationale for the B-Wing name was basically, "Umm, gently caress it; it's a B-Wing."
The original design for the B-wing matched with its name a bit more, what with having a cockpit on either end like the two lobes of a B. The current explanation is that the B is short for "blade," since the B-wing looks sort of vaguely like one.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

War Pig posted:

Except that he says Stormtroopers are "accurate."

He is probs just senile.
To be fair, they seemed pretty accurate when shooting at anyone not protected by plot armour.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The only Clone Wars era ship worth a drat is the Naboo N-1 starfighter. Great design, but the rest can gather dust for all I care.
Hey now, let's not say things we can't take back. Venators. :allears:

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Fil5000 posted:

I honestly don't think it's spite - he GENUINELY thinks these revisions make the films better, and no-one near him seems to dare to tell him he's drawing Groucho glasses and eyebrows on the Mona Lisa*.
It actually is spite, at least to a degree. Spite and hatred. The OT was as it was because he had his now-ex wife around to tell him "no, that's stupid." They went through a divorce and now he's a bitter, bitter man who doesn't want anything around that reminds him of her or her influence.

This potentially means that we may one day see releases with all the main actors replaced with midgets, as George originally wanted it.

Tumblr of scotch fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Apr 27, 2018

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

thrawn527 posted:

Do we know that was Jar Jar, and not just some random Gungan? Like, did Lucas ever say that? All the Gungans talk in the same stupid speech pattern, so it could have been any old Gungan.

Razorwired posted:

Something in my gut says it's Jar Jar.
It's almost certainly not Jar-Jar shouting "Wesa free." He actually remained one of the Empire's strongest non-human supporters because he's just that stupid.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Captain von Trapp posted:

Our galaxy is about a hundred thousand light years from one side to the other. The distance to the Andromeda galaxy (the nearest big one) is about two and a half million light years. If Star Wars hyperdrives can put a spaceship from one side of the galaxy to the other in days, the question is really more like why isn't there lots of intergalactic travel?
There's actually an explanation for this. Hyperdrives just don't work for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

BonHair posted:

Wasn't there an EU(ish) explanation of sounds in Star Wars Space though? Something like "it's drat smart to know what's going on around you, and since your puny human eyes only point one way you might as well get info from your ears. So the actual ship would simulate the sounds to let the pilots know what was going on. Of course that doesn't explain the sounds when we have a scene filmed from outside a ship, but who the hell is hearing those sounds anyway?
Yeah, there was. If I remember right, it's from the novelisation of A New Hope (which was published before the movie came out, making it the first official Star Wars work ever), in which either Red Leader or Han (can't remember which) explains to Luke that the ship's computer system will replicate sounds in the cockpit based on what's going on around him. It's a pretty good explanation, really, and a pretty good thing to have in a starfighter, considering the tactical importance of sound.