Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drinkin ur gfs milk
Jan 2, 2005

by Tiny Fistpump
Checked out this flick because it stars Zach Galifianakis. Turns out he's not even in this movie! Instead it stars Ben Stiller as Greenburg, a neurotic misanthrope who after being released from a mental institution stays at his rich brother's house in Los Angeles. While in L.A. Greenburg revisits his old bandmates and ex-girlfriends, and in an attempt to "Do Nothing", kindles a relationship with his brother's nanny Florence, played by a terrific Greta Gerwig.

The acting is great and the story is about a nostalgic man in his 40's coming to terms with his life. My problem with the movie is I can't feel any sympathy for Ben Stiller's "miserable rear end in a top hat" character. His dark past is never really explored, and he shows nothing but contempt for his so-called friends throughout the movie. Isn't the audience supposed to care about the main character? Perhaps it's sophomoric, but my only complaint is 'Greenburg' didn't off himself. If you enjoy brooding 40-something characters, you'll love Greenburg.

3/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lacermonia
May 15, 2002

This is basically 500 days of summer except both people have severe asperger's

4/5

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer
I saw this movie because I was a big fan of The Squid and the Whale, and I was incredibly disappointed by this movie. It has some of the most awkward scenes in film history, and a main character who you would like to see get hit by a bus.

Greenberg is basically like a really long and extremely graphic version of an episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm. Also, although it seems impossible it can make the most awkward moments of Curb seem incredibly exciting by comparison.

Ben Stiller delivers a decent performance as the title character, and Greta Gerwig delivers the best performance out of all as his on-again, off-again love interest.

The plot seems directionless and nonsensical at times with several plot lines that seemingly die.

2/5

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
Wes Anderson was like the girlfriend who got Noah Baumbach to lighten up and stop talking about that lovely thing his dad did one time when he was 12. They are not together anymore.

2/5