Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

It intonates well enough for me. Not totally perfect but I haven’t bothered trying to get it just right. I use strings equivalent to 9s in e standard on everything so that helps even though some say it’s easier to get good intonation with thicker strings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

NonzeroCircle posted:

What string guage are you using? I like 54 for the low B on my Vintage SG ripoff thing.

Also I've noticed today the only place in town that sells guitar strings wants 2 quid more for Beefy Slinkies than the rest of the range, bloody liberty it is cor blimey.

13-56 feels pretty good but I’ve gone lighter on everything else so I might switch.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
I got some 12-60s that D'addario advertised as being specifically for C tuning -- sounds like it'll be a lot heavier than what you guys were running but since I play like a gorilla it'll probably be just fine.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Kilometers Davis posted:

I’ve had it in B and it’s just a little too muddy for my preferences.

the trick there is dial back the gain a little

Anime Reference posted:

I got some 12-60s that D'addario advertised as being specifically for C tuning -- sounds like it'll be a lot heavier than what you guys were running but since I play like a gorilla it'll probably be just fine.

i use those (incidentally on an sg-style guitar) that's used for anything between d and c standard

The Muppets On PCP fucked around with this message at 05:20 on May 12, 2018

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Anime Reference posted:

I play so delicately. It’s almost silly sometimes.

The Muppets On PCP posted:

i use those (incidentally on an sg-style guitar) that's used for anything between d and c standard

I don’t use a ton unless I’m gain horny. Which is often. I think part of it is that I usually prefer to play metal with single coils so I’m used to that super good clarity on chords and whatnot.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Apropos my comment on the Edwards LP with P90's - it's basically perfect for early VH-style gain; musical feedback whenever you want it, clarity all over the place.

The Muppets On PCP posted:

BURN THE WITCH

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 11:45 on May 12, 2018

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Why are you selling your THR10X btw? It’s the perfect Van Halen tone in a lunchbox!

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Friedman Runt + tubescreamer is 90s sleazy hard rock all night long. The THR10x is amazing for playing quietly but I don't need to do that ATM so it's just sitting there.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Am I weird that I don't really give a poo poo about tone? I mean obviously a sound is going to be clean or distorted and that's important but beyond that I really just care of I get the right notes at the right time.

Do any of you play with stompboxes or any other percussion with the foot while playing guitar?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Southern Heel posted:

Friedman Runt + tubescreamer is 90s sleazy hard rock all night long. The THR10x is amazing for playing quietly but I don't need to do that ATM so it's just sitting there.

Ah yeah makes sense. I wouldn’t mind that setup myself :)

Hellblazer187 posted:

Am I weird that I don't really give a poo poo about tone? I mean obviously a sound is going to be clean or distorted and that's important but beyond that I really just care of I get the right notes at the right time.

Do any of you play with stompboxes or any other percussion with the foot while playing guitar?

Half of my brain power with music is thinking about/bettering my tone.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I’d be tempted if you in the US. I got a THR5 but I wouldn’t mind going for the bigger model.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Here's an insanely broad question: How do you evaluate pickups? There are so many variables that make up a guitar's sound; amps, amp settings, effects, string gauge, playing style, even the acoustics of the room you're in. If you're trying to get a certain tone, how do you know when new pickups are the solution? And then how do you decide between the literal hundreds of options available, many of which don't have good sound demos available online and probably not in the exact model of guitar you're working on?

I have four guitars, and they all still have their stock pickups. There are things I like and dislike about all of them, and some of the cheaper ones would probably benefit from better pickups. But I've also always heard people suggest putting new pickups in brand new top of the line guitars too. I've been confused about this for my entire playing career. Basically I'm overwhelmed by the number of options and I think if I sunk $300 into a new set of pickups, I'd probably convince myself they sounded better no matter what.

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?

Southern Heel posted:

Is it true that the Runt doesn't really have enough gain on tap for metal? I've been selling gear in anticipation of buying a PT-20 or DS mini (ideally both but I'm not rich enough for that), but it's easier to find a better deal on the 20 watt Runt and a clean channel might be nice.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Gnumonic posted:

Is it true that the Runt doesn't really have enough gain on tap for metal? I've been selling gear in anticipation of buying a PT-20 or DS mini (ideally both but I'm not rich enough for that), but it's easier to find a better deal on the 20 watt Runt and a clean channel might be nice.

You can do metal with those easily. There are some good demos of them on YouTube with high gain settings.

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?
I've seen some decent youtube demos at high gain, but I've also heard some mediocre ones.

Personally I find it kind of hard to gauge what something is *really* going to sound like off of a youtube demos, especially given that a great many youtube demo guys don't bother to post the fulls details of their rig. If I don't know whether you're running through an open back 1x12 with vs a closed back 4x12 with an EQ in the loop and a clean boost out in front and a bunch of DAW compression (or whatever), it's difficult to decide whether it will sound right for me with my setup.

It doesn't help that most of my guitars are downtuned superstrats with EMGs, which obviously gives you a rather different sound than, say, a Les Paul with PAF-ish pickups in standard (which seems to be the go-to for tone demos). A lot of amps sound "flubby" to me with passives but tighten up really well with the 85/60 combo I use.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Lester Shy posted:

Here's an insanely broad question: How do you evaluate pickups?

I think we're all guilty of wanting the One True Guitar that's impossible. Barring everything else, it depends on what you want the guitar to do, the hotter the pickup the less versatile the basic sound it seems, at least to me. I'm cheered by the fact that the guys in That Pedal Show are still learning and that even getting a good basic sound can be a process of exploration spanning decades, it makes me feel less stupid about guitar sounds. Also band context != bedroom guitar context, in what makes a good guitar sound.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Lester Shy posted:

Here's an insanely broad question: How do you evaluate pickups? There are so many variables that make up a guitar's sound; amps, amp settings, effects, string gauge, playing style, even the acoustics of the room you're in. If you're trying to get a certain tone, how do you know when new pickups are the solution? And then how do you decide between the literal hundreds of options available, many of which don't have good sound demos available online and probably not in the exact model of guitar you're working on?

I have four guitars, and they all still have their stock pickups. There are things I like and dislike about all of them, and some of the cheaper ones would probably benefit from better pickups. But I've also always heard people suggest putting new pickups in brand new top of the line guitars too. I've been confused about this for my entire playing career. Basically I'm overwhelmed by the number of options and I think if I sunk $300 into a new set of pickups, I'd probably convince myself they sounded better no matter what.

Part of it is the last part you said but there is some truth to it too for people trying to squeeze every bit out of pickups that then can. Just a little story to illustrate something though - I have a former student who is now an adult and he brought me his Les Paul to swap out the stock P90s for some new boutique ones he bought. He was very happy with with change and said he could really hear the difference and it was a big one. From my point of view there was hardly any difference at all (and I’m a jazz guy so I’m used to evaluating pickups from guitars plugged right into the amp with no pedals in between, which is a really transparent way to judge pickups). But he was the one who spent money on the pickups and on me to install them. The other part of it is that he has a really heavy hand so I did a setup for him too. The action was much higher than he needed when he brought it so I think part of his opinion about the different sound was that now the guitar played much better, meaning he played better. It’s not a myth that tone is in the fingers and good players will sound great and retain their sound on any guitar. But it is quicker and easier to change pickups than it is to invest thousands of hours of practice into the instrument.

Now for me, if pickups are unbalanced then that is a deal breaker and they have to get swapped out. I haven’t swapped a pickup out on any guitar but a 200 dollar seven string in the past 10 years or so, and in retrospect I probably didn’t need to swap that pickup. However, before that I would change the pickup on practically any guitar I bought, cheap or expensive. And sometimes there was a legit improvement, and working on guitars is fun for me too so there’s that. But in retrospect sometimes the old cheap pickup actually sounded better than the nice pickup I put in - I would never, ever have admitted that to myself back then but it’s true. One really glaring example was getting a set of Lollar Special Ts for a 2008 Mexican Tele. The bridge pickup was an improvement but the original neck pickup was not and the stock one sounded better. I sure as hell wasn’t going to let myself believe that though after spending money on something that *should* have sounded better.

Regarding the other part, I think that the first thing is do you like the sound of the guitar unplugged, even for solid bodies. If you don’t then a pickup isn’t going to fix that - it only sends the guitar’s sound to the amp and can’t change the character of a guitar. From there, assuming that the sound of the guitar is good, I’ll play it into an amp that I am really used to and ask what’s missing. Is it missing definition? Sparkle? Too muddy even wide open? String balance issues even after pole piece adjustments? Too hot of a signal (could be a plus for some so think the reverse if that’s the case)? After identifying all of that then it’s time to do research and read about what people say about the things you want to change. I like Lollar and Kent Armstrong and certain Gibson humbuckers a lot so I know what to expect but just reading for a lot of people happy with their pickups is a good way to find somewhere to start browsing pickups.

And like you said, hearing a pickup in someone else’s guitar isn’t going to really tell you what your guitar will sound like so take that with a grain of salt.

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

rio posted:

it only sends the guitar’s sound to the amp and can’t change the character of a guitar.

:magical:

This is demonstrably incorrect.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Gnumonic posted:

It depends on what you think of metal. It can't do modern metal natively but it can do basically anything that you can imagine coming out of Marshall i.e. slayer, Megadeth, etc. with ease and elegance.

A 5150 pedal into the clean channel will get you a modern sound, and then you've got anything from classic rock to thrash on the gain channel too. IMO a modern metal sound is easier to find "amp in a pedal" than a classic/hard rock sound, and that's what drove my decision that way.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

whiter than a Wilco show posted:

:magical:

So the pickup changes the way the wood resonates? Of course not. It changes the tone of the signal being brought to the amp but it can’t change the inherent sound of the guitar because those are all physical properties that cause that. Wait, are you one of those people that thinks only the pickup is responsible for tone on an electric guitar and that a pickup on a shovel will sound the same as that pickup on a guitar? I’ve heard that argument too many times so I’m just checking.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Hellblazer187 posted:

Being able to do more with pedals and other fiddly things was one of the reasons I moved from bass to guitar. I just love the weird little idiosyncrasies and histories that are behind all this stuff - which itself probably ties back to playing being, for me, the natural extension of music fandom. But I can totally see where someone can just go "eh, I'm happy with how it sounds, that's not where my focus lies."

Lester Shy posted:

Here's an insanely broad question: How do you evaluate pickups?

I do feel like there's a lot of confirmation bias with pickups, especially if putting them in was a grueling process, and I don't tend to upgrade if I'm reasonably happy with stock. Having said that, if something just feels dead or lacking (or is microphonic to the point of unusability), I'll start shopping based on the idea of where I want to take it first, then choose a manufacturer based on price, then I compare sound samples for everything similar in that product line to determine what the baseline is for their recording. Once that's been figured out, it's usually easy to tell from what a company has up.

whiter than a Wilco show posted:

So here we go, knowing that I'm probably responding to a troll post. I've always been of the school of thought that if something touches the string, it makes a difference in how that string is vibrating. So that gets you fretboard material as well as bridge. But also, I've found that every pickup I've ever liked has been microphonic to some degree, so the body can't be removed from the equation. More than that, though, is the subtle nature of feedback between player and instrument. Some of what you hear, and respond to, in all but the loudest circumstances, is going to be the acoustic sound of the instrument, whether you're aware of it or not. And that influences how you hit the strings, how you phase notes, everything. To borrow a phrase from Ritchie Fliegler, you have a mental process of what you expect leading up to the moment you play a note. If the sound you hear matches your expectation, it feels natural or good. If it doesn't, you make minor adjustments - if you've been playing long enough, you probably don't even notice it, but I think we do start doing this early on.

I know they say that tone is in the fingers, but I think of it as a loop from brain to hand to ear, and back to the brain. And the acoustic sound (as well as feel!) is a big part of that.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

rio posted:

So the pickup changes the way the wood resonates? Of course not. It changes the tone of the signal being brought to the amp but it can’t change the inherent sound of the guitar because those are all physical properties that cause that. Wait, are you one of those people that thinks only the pickup is responsible for tone on an electric guitar and that a pickup on a shovel will sound the same as that pickup on a guitar? I’ve heard that argument too many times so I’m just checking.

That shovel guy is pretty good, to be sure, but that's not the sound everyone is looking for.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Tone wood is scam, Google it.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Or, tone wood is not a scam, google it. Plenty of opinions on both sides. I hear differences here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrEar7dgVwI

I've got two different versions of the 335-S, one maple with Dunable PAF-style pickups and one mahogany with Super Distortions. The mahogany sounds warmer to me even though the pickups are hotter and, to my ears, brighter. It's partly about the subdued attack, which comes out more with some gain (and gets a bit lost with super high gain, like an Engl), and partly how the notes bloom out over time. Maple seems to deliver all of the sound up front. The feel is different too; mahogany guitars seem to vibrate more.

It's not a huge difference, but I hear it. It comes out more playing metal rhythm, which features the attack more.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Types of wood (mahogany, alder, ash, etc) matter but poo poo gets pretty snake oily when they bring in the AA, AAA, AAAAAAA or the whole "it's like <wood you've heard of> but better" tagline.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I like playing my guitars :)

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Body wood makes a ton more difference than fretboard wood but really for electric guitars I will fight to the absolute death that the entire electronic section makes more difference than the wood

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Salt Fish posted:

Tone wood is scam, Google it.

It’s not and I find it amusing that the response to the dumb “the wood is 99% of your tone” has recently become “the body and wood doesn’t matter at all!”. Both points are very wrong and not helpful.

The wood matters, though it is of course a small % of the situation. The hardware and coupling is far more important in my opinion.

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 01:19 on May 14, 2018

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Guitar

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Gorgar posted:

The feel is different too; mahogany guitars seem to vibrate more.

I think this is something that the people who judge sound/tone by what they hear on a recording are missing. The way playing a guitar feels directly affects how we perceive the sound. It’s important on a level you can’t judge from a recording.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Forget about tone wood; when I was trying to decide on a finish for my DIY guitar, I came across the concept of tone paint.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Lester Shy posted:

Forget about tone wood; when I was trying to decide on a finish for my DIY guitar, I came across the concept of tone paint.

Well I mean it’s kind of a thing. More like a thick heavy finish vs a light thin finish though. I don’t even want to know if there is specifically marketed tone paint though because jesus christ of course there is. Somewhere. On TGP.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
If you want to sound badass all you need is to turn up your amp all the way.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I wish I lived in the middle of nowhere so I could dime myself to total deafness within a month.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Lester Shy posted:

That's not new, blues dads will fight over different finishes not letting the wood breathe and how that affects the ~tone~

Seriously the tone you hear on like an old hendrix recording is a very complicated function of everything from the angle he held the pick to what the guys in the sound booth thought sounded good/were even allowed to do. I ran across a neat thing a while ago where the sound guy on Sgt pepper was allowed to place all of the mics closer to Ringo's drums than was normally allowed (they were delicate things at the time) which had some effect on the recording

What I'm getting at here is that by the time recording is happening tone is an absolute clusterfuck of codependent factors

And also that tone is ephemeral bullshit and if you figure out how to get the one you want you hold into that fucker like rose from titanic

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 01:48 on May 14, 2018

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party

Kilometers Davis posted:

I wish I lived in the middle of nowhere so I could dime myself to total deafness within a month.
Real post: I moved to a different city partially so I could afford a place to play guitar. It's a good life change if you can do it.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Kilometers Davis posted:

I think this is something that the people who judge sound/tone by what they hear on a recording are missing. The way playing a guitar feels directly affects how we perceive the sound. It’s important on a level you can’t judge from a recording.

Ok. Wait. Back up a moment.

People who judge sound...by hearing it...are wrong. Because the tone of the guitar is not something you actually hear. Therefore it is not snake oil. :psyduck:

Just making sure that that’s the argument being put forward here.

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party

Dewgy posted:

Ok. Wait. Back up a moment.

People who judge sound...by hearing it...are wrong. Because the tone of the guitar is not something you actually hear. Therefore it is not snake oil. :psyduck:

Just making sure that that’s the argument being put forward here.
nah, there's a big gap between "how a guitar sounds/feels when you are playing it" and "how a guitar sounds on a recording." think about amps vs modelers/plugins/etc. it's a viscerally different experience to play a 100W Marshall into a 4x12 with an SM57 in front of it vs a modeler that you hear through headphones, but I bet you can get almost identical sounds out of them.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
But feeling something in your hands literally is not what the tone of the guitar is.

The entire argument is the output sound will not change in any significant fashion if you change the wood. If a specific material makes it feel nicer to play that’s perfectly fine but that isn’t at all what people are discussing.

Like, unless we’re using different definitions of tone I guess? I thought it meant the audio characteristics of the sound coming out of the guitar beyond just what note you’re playing. I also don’t exactly see how the definition of “tone” can be anything but that. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Dewgy posted:

But feeling something in your hands literally is not what the tone of the guitar is.

The entire argument is the output sound will not change in any significant fashion if you change the wood. If a specific material makes it feel nicer to play that’s perfectly fine but that isn’t at all what people are discussing.

Like, unless we’re using different definitions of tone I guess? I thought it meant the audio characteristics of the sound coming out of the guitar beyond just what note you’re playing. I also don’t exactly see how the definition of “tone” can be anything but that. :psyduck:

tone is the guitarist's emotional connection to the experience of playing
it has very little to do with sound