Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party
I've got the 1.4mm "primetone" Jazz III XLs in front of me. They're fine, feel a bit different than the other Jazz IIIs, I don't know if they're better or worse. They're ludicrously expensive, though--I think it was $6 for 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

How's the tone? Prime??

e- wow this looks like an easy way to get some free pedals

https://www.jimdunlop.com/category/saddest.do

A cute cat pic takes some skill, but half of these are "here's my sad pedalboard it's a piece of wood with carpet on it". Oh word? I bet there's some kid playing through scavenged danelectro pedals taped to a rotting piece of plywood and these guys are living like kings!

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jul 6, 2018

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Those fancy Django ones are like 20 bucks each fam

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

https://v-picks.com/shop/colossal/

I own one of these.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
You want a pick that's as cheap as possible so that you can buy a huge amount that saturates every living space and you can always find one by digging around the couch or whatever.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I just buy in bulk. I think I found a dozen picks the other day when I was rearranging furniture. Maybe sometime next year I'll finally be out of picks and I can re-up with the MAX GRIP red jazz iiis to see how they feel in comparison.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I have a little metal valet tray that came with my wallet and i just toss my picks in there when I’m done. Also have extras in an old retainer case.

It’s really handy actually. I have my metronome, capo,tuner, and stereo adapters in there too.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
When I retire guitar picks they go into a little paper clip tray on my desk. When I drop a pick it goes into another dimension and pops out six months later when I move my amp or couch.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I keep picks I want to use in the little space underneath the amp but above whatever it's sitting on. I keep picks I don't care about anywhere that is convenient to set them down, at which point a kitten redistributes them about the house for me. I'd like a little metal case with a lid to keep picks in but haven't seen anything that looks good to me.

I suppose I could use an altoids box, if I don't mind the picks being all...minty.

Gorgar fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jul 6, 2018

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I ordered a little selection box of 6 different Jazz iiis off amazon, as I had the Petruccis already and wanted to try others. So far the red and the ultra grippy one are my favourites.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
When I go my first actual guitar, I picked up a giant pack of grey, .88 nylon Dunlops. My friends were finding them at their parents' houses well after high school. I covered the town in those little bastards.

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

What do you guys think about Ibanez's artcore hollow body guitars and using those for slide?

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Just about anything can be used for slide. A steel string resonator is the classic, but people use telecasters and what not all the time. More important is the open E or G tuning IMO. Make your name as a famous slide player on a 8 string Ibanez my dude.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I wouldn't know where to start there, any suggestions for someone who usually uses a dunlop nylon 0.88? I like them, but they do sharpen to a knife edge with playing.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Since last night some more progress on tornado - listening, sketching and annotating has helped break it down a good deal into manageable chunks.

ewe2 posted:

I wouldn't know where to start there, any suggestions for someone who usually uses a dunlop nylon 0.88? I like them, but they do sharpen to a knife edge with playing.

Get a variety pack? I like the green Dunlop and the brass Tek pick. I found the jazz ii,' s to be too small and my fingers would get scraped to hell.

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

I also have a question for those who play slide. Do y'all know of any exercises or drills I can use to be a better player? I play predominantly in open e

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I used to use the two lightest Dunlop nylon picks. Tried some Wedgie nylon picks and they’re a lot better. I used to break the Dunlop .38s all the time, but the Wedgie .40s don’t break. Also easier to hang onto, and are just stiff enough to work for leads for me.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

ewe2 posted:

For finding out what picks you might like? Head to amazon/your local music store and buy a bunch of random ones. Amazon has variety packs of different kinds. I highly suggest trying some jazz picks. Trying them back in the day completely changed my playing.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Picks are cheap and it's completely trivial to switch from one to the next so just buy a bunch of picks and try them all out. Try to narrow down what you like and don't like about each one and eventually you'll arrive at your Perfect Pick (it's a Jazz III, it's always a Jazz III.)

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Anime Reference posted:

Picks are cheap and it's completely trivial to switch from one to the next so just buy a bunch of picks and try them all out. Try to narrow down what you like and don't like about each one and eventually you'll arrive at your Perfect Pick (it's a Jazz III, it's always a Jazz III.)

Yeah, try a bunch: Order some Jazz IIIs and *also* some Jazz III XLs, Jazz III Ultex, and Jazz III XL Ultex and you'll find the pick you love.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I can't stand jazz III, there will never be a better pick than dunlop tortex .6s.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
:worship:

This thing scratches an itch I didn’t know I had. Scratch plate cherry les Paul style and abalone inlays with full binding... :shittydog:

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
How does it feel? All the bass players I've heard talk about using a multi-scale bass say it's much easier to get used to than you'd expect but I've never heard from a multi-scale guitar player.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
It’s like looking at the fretboard from below. It’s weirdly intuitive. Will report back after a week of jamming.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

As someone with terrible weirdo taste in everything I approve of your melty paul.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Mercedes posted:

I also have a question for those who play slide. Do y'all know of any exercises or drills I can use to be a better player? I play predominantly in open e

Simple melodies like Amazing Grace.

Finger picking and/or hybrid picking will open things up.

Another good thing is to ween yourself off of barring the entire six strings, try to keep your slide (and it's sweet spot) on only the strings you mean to play. Basically look at your fretting hand muting and right hand blocking, you need to tame them.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

Kilometers Davis posted:

As someone with terrible weirdo taste in everything I approve of your melty paul.

Rondo got it here in 5 business days, shipped with case for 500. Gonna be a repeat customer for sure.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Getting stuff from Rondo is a breeze. They even put fresh strings on before they ship it out.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I have pretty small hands for my size, so being able to reach intervals I couldn’t before up high actually owns. You can’t really do some of the jazzy 3 string stuff past 14/15 but other than that everything is either the same or easier to access.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Regarding all this PICK TALK, I have to chime in

I bought a pick stamp off of Amazon, $14, and I've got to say, used visa cards are WAY better than Amazon Gift Cards.

I've taken to mugging people just for their visa cards so I can keep well stocked in guitar picks.

#blessed

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

How does a milk jug hold up?

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
Due to a family members lack of financial responsibility, I now own an EVH III 50 watt head. I’ll give it a test drive tomorrow.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Anybody have any opinion on/experience with Dean's mid-priced guitars? I've been looking at baritone guitars and one of the options that came up was this guy.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I don't know, but now that guitar is showing up in all of my ads.

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?
So I was off yesterday and spent like 6 hours practicing one of the fast (152bpm, 16h notes) alternate picking parts of Paganini's 24th Caprice. I haven't played for 6 hours straight in a long time, and my wrist REALLY loving hurts now. I'm 99% sure my technique is fine, but I've never done any stretching or anything, so I should probably do that.

Anyone know any good hand/wrist stretches for guitar that might help?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Your problem is likely the 6 hours of practice, not a lack of stretching honestly.

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?
But I wanna be able to get stoned and shred all day on my days off...

I mean you're probably correct, but still, stretches can't possibly hurt, right?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Yeah honestly that's just a whole lot of activity to ask of your forearms/hands. Only thing to make sure of is that you're holding your wrist straight consistently, other than that take more frequent breaks?

E: Your wrist doesn't have muscles in it so stretches won't help, the pain there is mostly tendons rubbing against bone as your fingers move. Tension in your hand will also make the wrist bones themselves rub. Straight wrist and a relaxed arm pose are 99% of what you can do.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Gnumonic posted:

But I wanna be able to get stoned and shred all day on my days off...

I mean you're probably correct, but still, stretches can't possibly hurt, right?

To tell you the truth I’ve been on a ton of nerdy deep dives on the topic and most of the “stretching is great and important for guitar” hype comes from people with as much medical knowledge as myself. Zero. The answer lies more in having technique that works for your body, reducing tension, and adequately resting your body. Stretching feels good and can provide temporary relief but it’s more of a bandaid on a potentially worse problem that needs to be dealt with.

Again, not a doctor but that’s what I’ve found.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party
don't do that. that's how you get tendinitis. take breaks, work up to it.