Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

I know some of you guys have been dabbling in classically lately, you should post how you're doing and what you're learning :)

Hey! I'm in the same boat. I decided this summer that I'd learn to sight read--so I sat down with my books and got started. It's a thrill now to take a look at what I can read and sit down with the music and play.

What I should work on is getting some pieces down from the Christopher Parkening books I have. I've been reading and playing, but not taking that next step to memorize, but it's a process--learning how to learn on on your own.

What kind of guitar are you playing? What is your practice routine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Kilometer Davis, for what it's worth, it looks like the Classical Music Thread is the hangout for nylon stringers. Not to ignore the rest of you lot--the electrics are pretty enviable around here.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

firebad57 posted:

https://instagram.com/p/7RUN1zMoaD/?taken-by=firebad57

You enthusiastic new classical guitarists inspired me to make a goofy practice video. This one is just for fun, but we (in my group Mobius Trio) will often test our memory and "make pieces feel new" by "playing them" in the wrong tuning. Of course, we're not figuring out how to play the piece in the new tuning, we're playing where the notes "were" in the old tuning, but transposed to wherever the new tuning takes them.

In this case, I was playing my part in our arrangement of Ravel's String Quartet, but with the guitar in a weeeeird C Minor tuning (think the Koyunbaba tuning, if you know it, but down a whole step).

If this sort of thing is just loving stupid, I won't post its like again. Or if you love it, I could post Youtubes of entire pieces/parts in various "wrong" tunings.

That's cool--and as a three piece?--I really want to hear that. Go ahead and post some more.

Also, Koyunbaba is beautiful. Here's Milos Karadaglic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvBs8ShiqQ4

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Hollis Brownsound posted:

So i've been bit a bit buy the classical guitar bug and started working on "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring" and am surprised buy how much it's been kicking my rear end.

I honestly though it would be pretty easy, as far as classical pieces go. Am I wrong? is it a poor choice of pieces to start with?

It's a tough piece--two strong voices, lots of motion. That said, I'm not going to discourage you. Keep trying.

I forget, are you following a book too? They're honestly very helpful for learning about nylon string guitar.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Cheers, Kilometer! No luck on the capacitors, I did get a little beaver, but that was just a BYOC kit.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Make sure to look it over again. Sometimes that first time can hide some flaws (been there done that), but you've spotted some of the details I probably would have missed.

Anyway, if you have a buddy you could take along, that'd be a good help, but if not, look it over. Look for any other missing pieces and a straight neck (from the side and down the fretboard). In general, does it look like it was cared for? Also, plug it in! Make sure you can get sound out of it. Feel the neck too--are the frets sharp and jabbing you or are they flush and smooth? You could definitely post pictures in here for feedback.

I never had one, but at one point I really wanted an SA too. Overall, I think they're pretty good quality guitars, it wouldn't be a bad choice. If you want other suggestions, try Squier, Epiphone, or even Xaviere.

Try a Google search for "Warped Guitar Neck".

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Dec 26, 2016

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Tortilla Maker posted:

Appreciate the responses. Took another look today. Neck doesn't appear warped; body looks good as well. Sound comes out alright to me.

Attaching photo of a missing screw piece?

Hmm.. well, if you're willing to go for it, I say go for it. That looks like a pretty good deal on a pretty good instrument. You should consider getting a setup (probably $50-75, and they'd even be able to sort out the missing screw). There wouldn't be any harm in just putting on a new set of strings and getting going, either.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Does anybody know anything about the set-neck Teles and Strats on Guitar Fetish? I'm considering a transplant from my Xaviere Tele to one of those, but I can't seem to find any thing about them.

Link: http://guitarfetish.com/SPECIAL-PURCHASE-Surf-Green-Tele-Style-GLUED-IN-Setneck-Traditional-Single-Coil-Rosewood-FB-_p_21263.html

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Any recommendations for a delay and/or reverb? I've seen the Memory Boy and Holy Stain and am intrigued by both... but really any suggestion is cool with me.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Anyone here good with appraising (classical) guitars?

I've got my Takamine on Reverb, but it's come to my attention that it might not be a Hirade. I was led to believe it was but the label only says Takamine 6, instead of Hirade 6.

Can anyone confirm or deny this? Any idea on the going rate one way or the other?

--

What I've been told is this was originally sold in Japan, and that's why it isn't labelled "Hirade". Still, I'd appreciate any information.

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Feb 9, 2017

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

The local music shop has a CV Thinline Tele with a big chip in the back (about 2" x 1", not through the wood, but some did get chipped too). It's been there at least a year and a half too.

Any idea where I should start? They want $380, but that seems like way too much.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

After The War posted:

That's absolutely too much, considering a brand new one is US$450. I see an "Excellent Condition" one sold on eBay for $250. Most of the others are "Best Offer Accepted" so it won't display the actual sale amount, but the starting prices were all still under that. Plus every one of them was chipless.

Sure, hardball is the name of the game. $200?

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Since we're talking about Teles, anyone have any thoughts on the Thinlines? There's something about the semi-hollow that really strikes me, and so I am sorely tempted by both the Vintage Modified (HH), and the Classic Vibe, but I can't pick between the two.

I figure the CV has a more traditional setup, so it's probably a little easier to upgrade, and it has the CV reputation too. VM aren't bad either though, and I really dig the natural finish.

Classic Vibe - http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier/Classic-Vibe-Telecaster-Thinline-Electric-Guitar.gc#productDetail
Vintage Modified - http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier/Vintage-Modified-72-Telecaster-Thinline-Maple-Neck-Electric-Guitar.gc#productDetail

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Apr 8, 2017

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

The MIM Fenders are the Standards, right? Honestly, I've heard the CVs especially put up good competition with Fender's lower-end offerings.

I'm not pulling the trigger on anything I've decided. I want to thin out my collection and get down to one electric and one acoustic I really dig, instead of a bunch I'm on the fence about.

Like any guitarist, I find a bit of appeal in everything. Probably the best way to figure out what'll do the trick is trying out guitars. That said, I'm open to recommendations (I'd like to keep it under $500).

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I do have a GFS Tele that is super heavy. Swimming pool route might be kind of fun...

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I've got a GFS Telecaster that I can't seem to get to tune right.

It had this problem, and I replaced the neck as it had a stripped truss rod and was quite bowed. Still, with the new neck, it doesn't seem to tune quite right (I notice it especially with chords).

I think the truss rod is close to where it should be, and the action is reasonable, but could probably be a little lower. I have adjusted the intonation too, and I think the string trees are OK too.

How do I know if the truss rod is right? Do you have any other suggestions? Go over everything again?

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

cannoneer posted:

I was poking around in guitar center yesterday and played the Squier Vintage Modified Tele Thinline and it was really rad.

http://shop.fender.com/en-US/squier...0301280500.html

I also played a used Martin D15m that was really nice, full mahogany all the way around. It was pretty nice, but I don't know if I need another acoustic.
Do I never play acoustic because I don't have a fancy one, or do I not need a fancy one because I never play acoustic?

I know the answer is always "buy all the guitars"

I asked about that Squier just a page or two back, and two goons seemed a little underwhelmed by it (someone didn't care for the pickups and another seemed to think the Squier Thinlines were a bit off altogether). However, looking through reviews I do see a lot of really positive remarks, which doesn't come as a surprise. Personally, I've tried the Classic Vibe Thinline and definitely enjoyed it.

As far as the acoustic (and gear in general), the one thing I can suggest is to just play whatever you've got. A lot of my apprehensions seem to fade away the moment I actually pick up either of my guitars. Still I am all for having a good instrument.

Southern Heel posted:

Dudes, please tell me what's bad about a Yamaha THR10 v2! I'm considering one for playing quietly/late and/or as part of a stereo rig with my main amp - I can really find nothing wrong written about the THR. I'd be connecting it either to headphones , or to a pretty nice Onkyo amplifier with CA speakers (i.e. just not poo poo-tier hi-fi) and would mainly be using it for sounds my main amp doesn't give (i.e. high gain 'classic' metal, American-style distortion, etc.), as well as an occasional 2nd amp for a stereo sound.

Nothing. I (and a few others in here too) have a THR5, and it is pretty much perfect for what you're describing. The only thing I'd suggest is checking out the two variants, the THR10C and THR10X.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Has anybody here played with or owned one of the Line 6 M pedals?

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I've played a couple Revstars at my local shop. I like the ones with P90s the most, but they are all pretty good guitars, definitely a nice break from the "typical" fare.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Any tips on standing up with a Telecaster?

I've got a CV 60's and it weighs 8.5 pounds, which looks to be about normal for these, but it always seems to hurt my shoulders after a short while. I've got it about as high as I'd like to go, but it hasn't made much difference. Keep trying? Go lower? Get a semi-hollow?

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Despite the advice here to suck it up with my 9# Telecaster, I'm leaning toward getting an offset. I got to play the VM Jaguar and JMJM this weekend, both of which were pretty cool, but kind of dig the 24" scale. I know there's the Xaviere JT100 and Duosonic/Mustang, but are there any other offsets to consider? (I think budget-friendly is the way to go for now)

Also, do the Jag and JM take Strat necks? Would it be relatively easy to go from one scale to another?

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Oct 23, 2017

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Extortionist posted:

Not sure about the JM (though I think it would work?) but the jag needs a jag neck, because of the scale length.

For switching between scale lengths, I honestly never notice the difference between my jag and other guitars, except that some things are easier or more difficult to play. You've already learned to account for changing fret widths just playing up the neck.

edit: If you mean changing a jag to take a strat scale length, don't even think about it. JMs and strats have the same scale, start there.

So changing scale length on any instrument is a no go (24" or 25.5", one way or the other)? This is more curiosity than anything. I've been playing a 25.5" for quite a while, so my muscle memory is probably more attuned to that.

What kind of Jaguar do you have? A Fender, by any chance?

Also, has anybody played a JT100 or Vintage Modified Jazzmaster? I'm not set on the traditional electronics, they're a bit confusing, but I could see them being fun to tinker with. I'd say the vibrato is a must though.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

darkwasthenight posted:

Change the rhythm tone pot out for a mini 500K or 250K pot and it'll be a lot more usable. Having two 1M pots in the rhythm circuit and two 250K in the main circuit then wiring them to both pickups so you can switch between them is one of the most useful mods to offsets IMO. The second most useful is a series/parallel switch.

I'm still on the fence with the extra wizardry, and it doesn't help that I know precious little about even basic electronics. I like the idea of the JT100s for sure, but I'll see if I can get out and play a Jazzmaster and the Jaguar again.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Extortionist posted:

As another poster said...

The controls make sense after playing with them for a bit, so I wouldn't let that put you off.
Thanks! I think it's more of a toss-up between the Jaguar and the Jazzmaster. I certainly wasn't planning the scale conversion right off the bat.

Anyway, I think I like the looks of the Deluxe Jazzmaster more than the J Mascis, but I know the J Mascis neck is pretty rad. The Jaguars are cool too, but really I'll have to get out and play some more before I decide.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Krustic posted:

Is riffcityguitaroutlet.com a reputable place to buy a guitar? Anyone bought anything from them before?

I stumbled on these guys when I was looking for a Squier Deluxe Jazzmaster. I live in MN, so I actually went to their store, and I was thrilled. Private demo room, good deal on the Squier, and definitely people who care about what they’re doing.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

Anybody have experience or opinions on the Fender Mustang with P90s? https://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_mustang_p90_pf_2sb_offset.htm

Thinking of picking one up, with ~70% of the reason being that maybe my 9-year-old could learn on it. That's why I'm thinking of a shorter scale guitar.

They’re definitely not bad guitars. The short scale is cool, the hardware, pickups, and neck were great, but the one I saw had kind of a poor finish (it was sanded pretty poorly). Squier makes a Duosonic and Mustang as well, both of which seem well liked. I’m not sure what you can get in the UK though.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Shouldn’t be too bad. I like the color and the price is right for a MIM. One thing I’d warn anybody about is the weight. I ended up selling mine because I couldn’t get comfortable. YMMV obviously, but it ended being too much for me.

If you’re set on a Tele look at Squier’s Classic Vibes too.

Edit: Higher action can help you get louder. For one thing because you can strum harder, more free motion for the strings, so they say.

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Dec 11, 2017

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

No Egrets posted:

I just finished upgrading the wiring harness in my jazzmaster with a vintage kit and a treble bleed circuit and I’m pretty proud. It took me forever as it was the first time I’d ever tried wiring a guitar, but everything works perfectly and I didn’t destroy my guitar! Now the pots aren’t scratchy, it eliminated a persistent hum, and the tone sounds waaaaaay better (but that might just be in my head). I was surprised by how easy the work actually was once I started.

That’s awesome! Did you follow a guide on this? I’ve got a Squier Deluxe ST that I wouldn’t mind upgrading a bit.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

No Egrets posted:

:hfive:

Red and gold is definitely not my normal jam, but I was sold the moment I picked it up. I’m moving in a couple weeks but once things settle I think I’ll try this.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Any recommendations for a delay/multi-fx pedal? I'm cool going either route. Both the Line 6 M-series and the TC Electronic X4 delay pedals look cool, and having a looper bundled in is a definite bonus. I'm also cool splitting everything into dedicated units, because all I really like is reverb and delay as far as effects go.

Also, I joined the Strat club today. Picked up '60s Classic Vibe on CraigsList. It's a proper used guitar, but that's just character. I've got to clean it up and put some 11's on it, but once I do, I'll post the pics.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Any good amps out there for under $300? Under $200? I had a Yamaha THR5 and enjoyed it, but wanted something a little louder and with better FX. I tried the Boss Katana and was a little let down, it just didn't seem quite right to me. I see the Fender Champion but haven't been able to track one down yet.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

What about Mahavishnu Orchestra? It’s not exactly pick up and play, but learning to keep up with even one song would be a good challenge.

By the way, sounds like some pretty interesting techniques. I’ll have to try my hand at some of those ideas.

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Apr 4, 2018

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I just got an Ibanez TSA5TVR (5W tube amp). Unfortunately, it is buzzing (it seems like something is vibrating). What should I look for? Nothing mounted to the chassis seems loose. I saw some videos about microphonic power tubes, but I can't tell whether or not they are any good. I'd appreciate any advice.

Also, KD and ATW, I'd be up for some collaboration too. I'm up for just about anything.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

:shrug: I’m bad at this lol

I thought a blues/jazz jam might be a good way to start. I had basically the same ideas otherwise.

But, Spanish Manlove, some metal tracks sound cool too. It’s been ages since I tried anything remotely metal.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Just (re)joined the Tele club myself. It’s a used Squier Deluxe from a local shop. So far so good, but I do have the modding bug bad now (tone caps, adjusting my Strat’s vibrato, sanding the neck, the list goes on).

Anyway...

On a playing note, though, I did find this article kind of enlightening: https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/27684-the-subversive-guitarist-trapped-in-a-box

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Aug 27, 2018

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

its curtains for Kevin posted:

Not really, the set neck was in great condition. Some minor cosmetic issues but it played fine, and only needed very minor fretwork.

Very cool! Where's the body/neck from? It's not GFS, is it?

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I'm thinking about picking up a nylon string guitar again. Any recommendations at the cheap level (<$300)? Also, has anybody here tried a Cordoba Mini M? I'm almost leaning toward doing something like that, so I have something for when I'm traveling/sitting on my bed.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I found a pretty good deal on a Mini M, so I'm going to give it a go. Trip report soon!

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I am always tempted to get a Butterscotch Blonde one.

Edit: On recording, using my Katana’s USB out isn’t working that well for me, too much computer BS. I think I’ll give it a with just my built-in mic for now.

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Dec 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

I play with fists of ham so I kind of want to try the mexicaster if it has a beefier neck.

Truth! I want to give one a try at least.