Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
How does the Behringer HM300 compare to the original BOSS HM-2? I hear it's a straight clone pretty much and it's about 50 bucks cheaper since I wouldn't have to buy it off ebay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I usually keep my pedals organized and safe on a board but I'd prefer something that I don't have to worry about. $24 new seemed like too good of a deal anyway. I've never owned or knew anyone with a Behringer stuff so I kinda want to get it just for shits and grins. Thanks man.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Dorkopotamis posted:

So I picked up Rocksmith recently and although I've been playing guitar for years it has really spurred me into return to a regular practicing schedule. In the last week I've been playing the game for between 3 and 4 hours a day.

I noticed yesterday I had a mild aching sensation coming from my left (fretting) index finger concentrated mostly in the first joint but also in the knuckle. The pain isn't very intense, but I'm wondering if anyone is familiar with the specific issue.

I'm twenty-four and haven't had much experience with join pain outside of this incident. I played again today and noticed the pain was slightly more noticeable.

Do I stop practicing for a time?

Could be mild arthritis or tendonitis but that's the kinda thing to ask a doctor about if it's getting worse. It's likely that you're just playing too much but it could be really serious.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Sadsack posted:

Stupid question but here goes:

I've got a Fender Mexi-strat that came with a set of nines on it. Can I restring it with tens as it is or will I have to fiddle with the nut / truss rod first? I don't imagine I would as I keep it in standard tuning, but I just want to check first.

Also, have any UK-goons ordered pickups from Guitar Fetish? If so, how was the shipping time?

You might have problems with the trem and truss rod but those are things that are easier to fix after you change the gauge/tuning.

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Can some folks post pics of the relief on their guitar necks?

I'm trying to teach myself proper truss rod adjustment but my OCD/worry is kicking in that I'm not doing it right.

I need to get a set of those measurement tools as well I suppose.

I don't know how everyone else likes it, but I prefer the neck to be even and straight so the action is the same all over the neck. So really any straight object (ruler, level, 2x4, whatever) can be used to check it, but honestly the easiest way to check it is to just put your eye up to the nut and stare at the bridge and see if it bows at all. Replacing a trussrod/neck is expensive as hell, so I'd say practice on a lovely guitar of yours before trying this on any guitar your care about. Otherwise just take it to a shop and be specific with what you want.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

HollisBrown posted:

You're right but how dumb does someone have to be to turn a truss rod hard enough for it to damage the neck? I mean you have to turn well past the point where a normal person would stop and say "yeah, I should be having use this much to turn this".

Honestly for truss rods, my rule is never turn it more than 1/8 of a turn between checking, and STOP if you feel real resistance.

You do have to go pretty hard in order to break it, but I just like to give a warning that they're expensive as hell to replace/fix compared to a bridge saddle or something with the electronics. I'm not trying to scare the guy, but it is something to be cautious about, like you said.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
It sounds OCD as heck but washing your hands before you play helps as well. I'm sorta a weirdo in that I can't stand dirty strings at all so I also do everything else that's been recommended in the thread just now. It just feels good man.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Boz0r posted:

I'm trying to learn faster alternate picking, but I feel like I'm not really making any progress. I've been watching some videos, and it seems like most people use the pinky-edge of the hand to mute all the other strings, while I usually use the side of my thumb. Is this bad form? And does anyone have any tips to get better at alternate picking?

I typically plant my pinky down and use it to stabilize my hand when not palm muting or playing higher on the neck. Are you muting the strings with your fretting thumb or your pick hand thumb? Because I'm having a tough time thinking of how the hell you'd mute the strings with your picking thumb because that's kinda how you're supposed to do pinch harmonics. Other than specific, confusing examples I'd say the same as everyone else: Practice, Practice, Practice. Your forearm will be sore the first time you get fast at it but that's just normal.

Oh almost forgot, here's a secret speed trick I learned from my friend's dad:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Polidoro posted:

Is this a "proper" thing to do? I realized I do this too and was wondering if it's something I should try to unlearn.

I have no idea. It just happened over time to me since it just felt better. I never really made the decision to do it. I've seen and heard of some weird rear end pick hand techniques so I think it just doesn't matter how you do it, just that it's comfortable.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Boz0r posted:

Just like when doing pinch harmonics, I'm just not touching the string I'm playing with my thumb.

Thanks for the tips, I'll give them a shot.

Huh, that's really weird to me but if it's comfortable then keep doing it I guess unless it's really causing problems with not being able to play the way you want to play. I personally use my unused fretting fingers in combination with my picking pinky to mute strings but I just developed that out of time and because it was comfortable to me while playing fast. So just play how you like, really.

The jazz IIIs take some getting used to, so don't worry if you spend your first day with them fumbling around and dropping them a lot. It took me a while to get used to them and now I can't play without them. As to which ones to look for, all the materials are good but the Ultex ones are my favorites, even though they're impossible to find when they're dropped on the floor.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

duckfarts posted:

FYI, kind of a bit late now, but if you're trying to wait for a piece of equipment to pricedrop, 8thstreet.com has a black friday blanket 18% off through the 25th(yeah, today) with few brand exceptions(well, fewer than some other site's giant list of every brand ever that I saw earlier).

I got a jazz pick when pick sampling earlier and yeah, they're really precise, though I need to get used to it because I miss the string sometimes because it's so short and I have to get used to it. Are there larger sizes of these, or are they generally all the same size? (mine seems kinda small, also hard to find a selection around here)

I don't know where to buy them but just looking at Dunlop's website I see a few types that are like the Jazz III but bigger.

http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/Tortex-TIII

http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/jazz-iii-xl

http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/sharp

Pretty much the only qualification is "has a sharp point" so if you have access to a grind wheel you could make some of your own with picks you already have. Also maybe a pair of wire cutters could work if you're really good at cutting things with wire cutters.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Bolek posted:

Hello guitar thread. I want to know why people still agonize over the type of wood that goes into their electric guitar bodies and fretboards? Why the size of their headstock matters. Why the size of their frets matters? In general, why is there so much superstitious nonsense that floats around musicians in 2012? Or do I read too many guitar reviews?

Everything about a guitar effects the way it sounds but the most noticeable differences are in the body/neck woods. It's really all about a sense of feel for everything else. It's kinda something that just takes time and experience to develop. A shitload is still really superstitious because everyone in an old band of mine loved the way my backup guitar sounded, even though it was $150 guitar I bought new on ebay from a dorky little store/brand I read about in a magazine review, then just set it up the way I liked it and replaced the bridge pickup with a Duncan JB. The quality of the construction of the guitar kinda sucked, the neck was kinda warped and had a few dead frets here and there, also I sorta broke parts of the bridge constantly when I was making adjustments. But hot drat did it sound decent and was real fun to play shows with because I didn't give a poo poo about damaging it. I think what evened out the shittyness of the guitar was that I was playing through my friend's old JCM800 at really high gains at the time but whatever.

So yeah, the type of wood matters but until you get to the experience level where you start to turn into the Ulillillia of guitar it's not a big deal. You'll know when you're at that level when you start doing stuff like documenting your EQ levels in a notebook that you keep in your amp.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
It's like rule 34. If a thing exists then someone, somewhere is sperging over it.

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Dec 1, 2012

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
The wood also vibrates a little bit. All those vibrations add up into desirable noise the same way a tube amp adds desirable noise with it's imperfect, vaguely nonlinear gain response.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Nah, it's cool in my book since you're using your pinky and I want more guitar people to not let their pinkies be completely useless.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

The best is when you start looking into fretboard radius, neck shapes (50s style Gibson, 61 style Gibson, Ibanez Wizard), etc.

Oh man it's annoying. My friend's dad (same guy that showed me the Jazz III) takes measuring calipers with him when he shops for guitars so he can get something with a similar neck shape. Back in high school I thought this was the most kooky thing but now I'm all like "poo poo I gotta start doing that." Though keep in mind this is a guy who loves Les Pauls so much that the custom Jackson he once owned had a selector switch on the upper horn like where a LP has it. It was the weirdest thing to me and I wanted it so badly.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

HollisBrown posted:

I could be convinced that body material doesn't make a difference but are you two now trying to say that neck shape doesn't matter?

No no no no no, I'm not saying that it doesn't matter. It really does make a difference but getting all your guitars to .01mm difference is just silly.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Korg makes some decent tuners and TC is another brand to see, check out http://www.sweetwater.com/c938--Guitar_Tuners and see what's sorta in your price range. Oh and a cent is a unit of measurement for tuners. So the lower the cent range, the more accurate and therefore better quality a tuner. +/- 1 cent is a decent range for a cheap tuner. I've never used a clip on tuner so I have no idea about them but they seem too gimmicky/kooky for me.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Clitch posted:

Now if you're not afraid to take a dremel and a soldering iron to your guitar, then an SX is a decent platform. Otherwise, they are strictly starter guitars.

My old lovely guitar I previously talked about was an SX. It was kinda really bad when it first arrived but after an afternoon of work it was a fun little turd. I so wouldn't suggest it as a starter guitar but if you have some experience doing your own repairs they aren't too bad as a backup or a gimmick guitar. I had an Ibanez RG knockoff SX but it had a flamed top and some kind of cheap floyd rose licensed bridge for only $150. The bridge didn't even lock like a proper floyd, it strung through the back like what I assume was a cheapass speed loader floyd but also had the lock on the nut. Surprisingly it stayed in tune pretty well and the trem worked nicely until I broke the threading where the bar meets the bridge so the bar never stayed in place after that. I just took out the bar because aside from loving around I never used the drat thing. Surprisingly nothing else broke on it despite how rough I treated the guitar. Once I replaced the bridge pickup and set it up for B standard tuning it sounded perfect for early 90s style Swedish death. Though that may be because all those bands used guitars of the same quality.

All in all, you get what you pay for but if you're good at polishing turds, you can make an SX shine.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Yeah man just get a cheapo guitar, slap some high output pickup in the bridge, buy some heavy gauge strings (or jazz mediums) to put on it, file the nut down a little to hold the strings better and then just set it up in your desired low tuning. Total cost should be like 275 if you do it yourself.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

muike posted:

You idiot. You loving idiot b*tch. Don't you know that everyone agrees medium or low output pickups are better for low tunings and high gain? loving puerile bitch

Woah dudem, I didn't know this was such a touchy subject. I only recommend the high output pickups because in my ear the med/low output ones can get real muddy sounding tuned really low. This is just my opinion though since I just assumed the guy was going to play death metal or something, not go for some stoner or sludge. For that stuff yeah, lower output pickups are the way to go.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

why oh WHY posted:

I am looking for a good small amp, I would prefer something that has some preset effects. It needs to be fairly small, small enough for me to carry with one hand comfortably. I was looking at a variety of them the other day but I'm fairly clueless when it comes to guitar amps and which brands are the better choices seeing as I'm a bass player for the most part. My price max is 250$. So guitar goons what can you give me (if you need more info just ask)?

The Fender Super Champ is a loving beast of a practice amp, but I hear the newer versions don't have the best build quality. Once again as with any purchase like this, check out reviews online, watch some youtube videos, and go play the amp yourself at a store.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
DR also make really good strings but they're way overpriced. For the cost of a ten pack of D'Addarios I can get three sets of DRs. Also I hate Ernie Ball strings so loving much, they last for maybe three hours before they sound and feel like poo poo.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I play 10-46 on guitars in standard and 13-56 on my guitars in B standard. I tried out a set of 13-70s just because i was bored but the low string had a problem fitting through the tuning machine so I had to file the hole down a little and decided I liked the 56s more for B standard. It's all just in the way they feel I guess, though I kinda want to try some 11-56 mixed sets but I really really like how my guitar is set up right now and I don't want to mess with it on the only guitar I own now. Maybe some time in the future when I get back into loving around with cheap guitars will I try that.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I just bought an egnater tweaker 15w combo about a month ago and, while a little overpriced, it has a nice clean sound and a lot of little switches to gently caress around with to get what you like out of it, and has an effects loop. Only issues I noticed are that it's single channel and has no reverb/onboard effects. They make a head version as well. Check out some reviews and give her a hear at a store or something.

Otherwise the ac30 is a classic and the older fender blues jr. and super champ are beasts in their own way.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

darkwasthenight posted:

How does the Tweaker deal with pedals?

I haven't gotten the hang of its effects loop as I haven't had much time to play with that, but front loading seems to work really well. The distortion isn't great but any pedal combines really well with it.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Colonel J posted:

I started learning some Veil of Maya (the track is Mark my Words) and it's my first foray into deathcore. The fast triplets on the low string are killing my forearm and elbow, and lots of times they're not even right as the pick gets "stuck" on the string and I can't complete them.

What are those called, and what's the right way to practice them? Start slow and speed up with a metronome I guess, but what's the best way not to get tendinitis?

Just wondering, what picks are you using? Are you only playing that low string or are you playing the full power chord? How good are you at playing sustained, fast, alternate picked palm mutes?

Just by guessing, I think you're likely moving your pick too much when it doesn't need to go that far back and forth. Also are you moving your elbow to palm mute? That's kinda weird, your wrist and fingers should be doing a lot of the leg work and your elbow shouldn't be moving much.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Colonel J posted:

I'm using a Jazz III. I practiced more today and things are already better. It's a pretty subtle movement! My elbow doesn't move that much, it's more that I tend to stiffen it up to get that fast movement.

I think it's just going to be a question of taking it slowly. I love that sound though, and if anybody has suggestions of good songs to learn for that type of music I'm all ears. It seems that often those tracks are either way too easy or way too hard. It's the first time I play in drop B and I'm in love with the sound.

Yup as I thought, just need to practice more. A good song in that tuning to learn would be At The Gates - Suicide Nation or The Duskfall - Cage Closed. Lots of fast triplets in those two and if you can match the duskfall then you're good to go.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

CitrusFrog posted:

Plus At the Gates are just awesome. I've been working on Suicide Nation, Blinded by Fear and Cold when not drop-A'ing some Nile.

Also ATG are B Standard, not Drop B, which means you also get to play Carcass, Crowbar and Amon Amarth.

I know, I may or may not be trying to subtly trick the guy into liking B standard over Drop B.

Also gently caress the solo for Cold, I've been meaning to learn it for years but just haven't felt like it for a while.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

CitrusFrog posted:

The really fast trem-picked one with the unison bend or the clean 4-6-8-0-0 4-6-8-0-0 etc bit that's also the basis for Flames of the End?

And B standard is far superior, carry on ;)

The really fast one where the drums go into a double bass pattern.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I've been looking at getting a Les Paul style guitar to keep in standard tuning since I'm just loving my SG right now but it's in B standard. Actual Gibson LPs are kinda expensive for one with a maple top. PRS looks like a good idea but I'm not a big fan of the bridge they have. Apparently the new Epiphone's aren't that bad. My friend was given a traditional pro LP and he loving loves it. I always thought Epi's were total poo poo since the few that I played a long time ago were really bad but have they actually started to become decent midrange priced guitars? A few years ago I bought an SX from rondo and it was a decent little guitar for what I paid. The neck was kinda hosed and some of the hardware was a little lovely but for 150 bucks I didn't care. I also replaced the pickups but whatever. I was looking the selection that Agile has and they have a nice looking LP at a price I can't complain about. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Agile-AL-3010SE-Black-Electric-Guitar-w-EGC300-Hard-Shell-Case-/370714849160?pt=Guitar&hash=item565053af88 How is the build quality on Agile compared to SX?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

muike posted:

What exactly do you want in the guitar? Which bridge don't you like on the PRSs? The wraparound or trem ones?
The agiles are better than the SXs by a good margin, especially the 2800 and up line. They're really goddamn heavy though which irritates me.

I just wanted a nice smooth guitar that I can have for learning jazz songs on but also play metal like I usually do. Also I wanted a hardtail because I just didn't want to deal with a trem. That's really it. Also I like the tunomatic style bridges rather than the single piece because I already know how to adjust the intonation. So maybe I can just deal with a single piece I dunno.

Warcabbit posted:

http://www.guitarfetish.com/NEW-XV-500-Carved-Top-Gloss-Black_p_920.html
http://www.guitarfetish.com/XV-500-Series-Solid-Mahogany-SOLID-carved-Maple-Tops_c_182.html

Try this instead. You'll like it. It, like the Agile 3000 series, feature a full 3/4th inch maple cap, which is something to go for, tonally.

The Agile 3000 series is generally pretty good, though. And so are Epis.

Oh poo poo son, $200 no way. I might even go all out and get the XV599 at that price. While I was out today I read some reviews on my phone and so far they all seem to be kinda positive. Apparently the fretwires kinda suck and the bodies come dirty out of the box? Also the setup job is kinda meh? So long as the neck stays straight and all the frets work I'd be real happy with one of those. I'm going to replace at least the bridge pickup and maybe all the pots on anything I buy anyway so I don't mind doing some small mods and some cleaning.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Oh yeah I forgot about the ESP/LTD ones. They're pretty nice and totally not too metal. I like how the necks are shaped and sometimes they have duncans too. I think I'll just save up a little more and get one of those, a real cheap Gibson studio or a real nice Epi and not have to worry about anything other than waiting another month for a paycheck.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
My dad's cousin is a kinda well known flamenco guitar player. When he was a kid he would soak his fingers in a salt/flour/water solution. It makes your nails tough as steel but makes them really gross looking.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Almost bought a used LTD 401 with EMGs in it today for 400 but decided against it since I want passives in there instead. Also I'm a colossal man baby and couldn't wait until the 25th for it since Louisiana has this pawn shop law protecting against stolen items where a shop can't resell something until 30 days is up. I don't recall this in Florida so much but really all it's doing is stopping me from impulse shopping.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

muike posted:

I'm surprised Louisiana has that kind of law

I can buy liquor through a drive through but god forbid someone buys a fenced guitar.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Either save your money for a super champ/a 6505+ or try talking that guy down to 75 with the cabinet. It's a solid state Marshall and they honestly kinda suck. And by kinda suck I mean if he goes down to 75 see if you can bring it down to 50.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
The knobs on top were a dead give away. It's not bad but I wouldn't pay 100 for it.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Fender blues junior, or twin reverb if you can afford it. Maybe a Roland JC120 if you can find it. eBay is a good place to find cheap poo poo but musiciansfriend.com or sweetwater.com are decent online stores and the guys who work at sweetwater are super helpful if you need it.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Pretty much we're all just naming big brand amps that are affordable because we don't know about your style or budget. I dont know if a thunderverb or like a black star ht1 is what you're after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Google says yes but I'd still send an email to them if you want to buy something so you can get a quote on the shipping costs.