Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

You can just detune wayyyy down on each string until it's pretty much slack, then move it off the saddle a little bit if you're having a hard time. I had no trouble turning the TOM bridge screw while it was at in-tune tension, though. It took surprisingly little effort to turn the screws. The first way is more safe, you won't strip screws (less likely, at least) but it's much more annoying to keep checking the intonation.

I'd say do it right, though. You'll never regret doing something right. Going a shortcut you will, at most, get this feeling: :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

The Fool posted:

I've been working through the same book (I have 1-3 bound together), and I've found that there are some lessons that only take 10 minutes to grasp, and others that take me a few days to get through. Basically, don't worry about moving on until you're comfortable with what you were supposed to be learning in that lesson. I will also occasionally revisit older lessons just to make sure I can still do those exercises well.

I find that people underestimate what "comfortable" means in an effort to move on earlier. This doesn't mean when you can play it a like 2 times without messing up. It means, if somebody were to ask you "Hey, can you play ex. no. 19?" you could say "Sure, no problem!" and play it 3 times right in a row. Know it. And DEFINITELY go back to older exercises. Just because you've moved on to other things doesn't mean you can't benefit from more basic exercises. It's humbling to trip up on "easier" stuff.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

HappyHippo posted:

I don't know if this is great advice. To quote from the introduction of that book:

Basically, you should review constantly, but don't hesitate to move on after you've got a handle on the exercise. If you spend too much time on one exercise you might regress in some other area. That said, you shouldn't be too eager to move on. Never skip material that is difficult.

Huh. Funny that. I've been hearing the wrong thing all these years. Welp. poo poo. Ignore my advice, then.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Anyone have opinions on GuitarFetish/Xaviere guitars, specifically the hollows and semi-hollows? Tried reading back in the thread like 10 or so pages, checked OP and didn't see anything mentioning them. I know their pickups are liked enough, and I've had good luck with those already. I'm under no impression that I'm gonna be getting a $1k+ guitar for $200, but I've read reviews that range from "perfect in every way" to "cat piss on dog poo poo" to "very okay". Bad quality control, or bad internet opinions?

Appreciate any responses, I'm just jonesin' for a guitar that's a good bit different from what I have already and got a fuckin' fat tax return. Was looking at the XV-950 because gently caress it why not.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

E: ^^^ Sucker for spalted, so do that

OutOfPrint posted:

I have an Xaviere P-Bass knockoff. The frets were sharp when I first got it, but the overall quality was pretty good, especially for the price. I can't attest to the quality of the 950's, but that's my Xaviere experience.

That said, I had a Retrotron bridge pickup in my Ibanez semi-hollow, and it sounded great. It's thick enough to not be tinny or shrill, but less so than a normal humbucker, and, with the right EQ, is the first and only humbucker I've played that can approximate the punch of a single coil when played clean. The only reason I switched it out for a Dream180 is that I have two single coil equipped guitars and wanted something I could use for heavier music.

Of course, this means I need to get another guitar to put the Retrotron into.

Anime Reference posted:

I've been pretty sorely tempted by the XV-950 too so let us know how you like it.

Well, I did the drat thing and ordered it. Thanks for the input. Looking forward to getting a new guitar to suck poo poo on.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Rotten Cookies posted:

Well, I did the drat thing and ordered it. Thanks for the input. Looking forward to getting a new guitar to suck poo poo on.

Today is new guitar day and I have so many things I have to do that aren't "play the new guitar".

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

OutOfPrint posted:

Let us know how it plays! I've been curious about their semi hollows for a while now.

Lumpy posted:

Ditto. Would love to get a mini review if you have the time Cookies

Hellblazer187 posted:

Double ditto

Context: The only other electrics I have are a 62 Hagstrom (old single coils, very thin, very light, feels like a toy lol) I literally found in the trash and a heavy rear end tree trunk of a guitar I made out of a maple tree from my uncle's back yard one summer (it's not good but I will always cherish it.) so that's where I'm coming from when I talk about this XV-950. Also obviously not set up yet since I just got it today.

There are some sharp frets on the bass E side of the fretboard along the higher frets, but I don't see that as much of a problem since I won't be reaching up there? The rest of the frets seem fine, I don't catch my hand or nail on anything. Out of the box, string height is good (prob a bit high on treble side), no fret buzz that I notice. Will have to . It feels good and sounds good from what I've . Had a lot of fun futzing around with it. Sorry this isn't very in depth, but I've already hosed around enough and I've got more poo poo to do before the day is done.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Used half-round strings for the first time yesterday (on the aforementioned XV-950 from GFS) and I don't know why I didn't do it sooner. I really hate the way roundwounds feel when sliding my hand around, and especially hate the sound of my hand sliding up and down.

Tone? Strings don't affect tone so it doesn't matter to me.

lol j/k

Rotten Cookies fucked around with this message at 19:22 on May 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

rio posted:

Half rounds are great. What brand did you get? I usually use D’Addario but many years ago I used GHS and would like to try them again because I remember them being awesome. They call them Brite Flats, which is confusing but they are not flatwound and are ground half rounds.

I went for D'Addario 9s. I just threw them in on an amazon order. Figured why not try them out on the new hollowbody.

Also my first time using 9s because I'm the guy that always want big fuckin' heavy strings because my big meaty fingers can tak-whoa owch my hand is cramping gently caress this poo poo. Crazy how much that helped lol

Rotten Cookies fucked around with this message at 18:02 on May 18, 2018