Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I've been GASing for a new Fender. I like this one, because it's under $1.ooo.oo, it's got some cool features (12" radius, locking tuners, 2-point pivot trem, neck-heel access, and the switch that lets you add in the bridge pickup to either the neck - sortof a Tele bridge/neck sound, or to the neck and mid, turning on all pickups which seems to be a cool tone, too; and apparently it's a feature of a David Gilmore guitar.)

Other stuff about it:
Fender V3 Noiseless pickups.
Alder body
Rosewood fretboard on maple neck
It's not cheap but it's not dear: it's a MIM guitar that retails about $850 and I could afford to buy it on installments, like the rest of my gear. It's very pretty and it scratches my itch to finally own a S/S/S Fender Strat. I could swap out the electronics later, put on better saddles on the bridge. It seems like a decent deal for a Fender Strat, when the American models cost $800+ more and have some better features and some I really don't want (like a 9.5" radius.)

There's a Roadhouse version of this guitar, but it seems really complicated with the weird switching system.

Talk me into it or out of it. I really, really want a 2-tone Sunburst Strat and this one seems like a great deal if you're willing to buy new.

It's this one..

For some reason I feel like I want to put the W/B/W pickguard on it. What say you, Fender people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

loga mira posted:

"Special features: Pickups"

Mexican strats use (or used at least when I looked at them) the kind of pickups Chinese no names put in strat copies, steel slugs with ceramic magnets stuck to them. Even some Squiers have proper strat pickups. I'm not sure what you're paying for in a Mexican made strat to be honest.

edit: I went googleing and found this photo:

which ties in with my previous post, about magnets loving off from where they supposed. It does happen apparently.
Well I mean that's a funny anecdote but I mentioned in my post this instrument does come with legit Fender V3 "Noiseless" pickups. I do all of my own guitar electronics, so I'm not concerned with doing my own mods if I decide to.
I'm more attracted to this instrument because, as I said, I really would like to treat myself to something shiny and new. I have wanted a sunburst Strat since I first wanted to play guitar, and have never bought one. I built my own hard-tail H/S/S Strat-style and I love her, but I just said, I've got GAS and a real, new, factory-fresh Strat is what I want.
I trust MIM because my MIM Tele is tight as hell (it needed pickups, but that's all it really lacked, and I went for Fralins there).
I like that it has the cutaway neck heel that only certain affordable Strats have, and I like the two-pivot trem. I like the radius and fretwire. I like the locking tuners. I like the big 70's style headstock.
The added switching is just a bonus.

I'll probably put some crazy expensive set of Fralins or Suhrs or something else in there later, but the V3s will be fine to begin with. I think for the money, compared to other *new* Strats I've looked at, this model jumps out as having the little features I really want in a Strat.

I've kinda talked myself into it but I know that if I bide my time the madness will pass and I'll GAS for something else. Like I said, this one model ticks a lot of boxes for me.

E: Ticks "off" boxes? No, that's not what I meant.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jul 16, 2017

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, agreed I'd never put a reverb pedal in front of an amp. I put digital reverbs in the effects loops of my Peavey combos, or between my pre-amp and power amp. My new Fender has no effects loop, so any reverb I would add would be in post/on a mixing board.

I do have one thing I do with reverb to keep it from muddying things up: long-ish pre-delay. Digital reverbs let you dial in just when the reverb starts. I've found that delaying the onset of the reverb by ~100ms causes just enough of a delayed reverb that it sounds distinct from the dry sound, and you can get more ambience with smaller room sizes, so no need to go "Large Stadium" on everything. I tend to use a medium bright room setting, pre-delay it by 80-100ms, with early reflections turned down or off. Then I bring in the wet just enough to notice it, maybe a little more depending on the material I'm working with.

You can also create a useful doubler effect by pushing up the pre-delay to about 200-250ms and adding a little more wet signal.

There was a trend in the 80's to saturate everything under all sorts of reverbs. Gated verbs, huge halls, buried it all but the bass guitar and usually the kick drum, though there were plenty of kick-drum tricks with reverbs as well.
In the early/mid 90's bands started doing near bone-dry recordings and I really dug that trend. Although I always appreciate a great drum kit with just the right reverbs/room sound on it.

I wish my Blues Jr. had an effects loop.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jul 17, 2017

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Shugojin posted:

Good news! This is kinda possible (for some amps) to have a nice transparent effects loop added if you don't mind having some new holes made in the faceplate (or back plate) and there is room.
There's certainly room in the bottom of the chassis for the send/return jacks, lots of room next to the fat-switch and speaker-out jacks. It's below the power transformer so I don't know how they tap out of the preamp section and back into the power amp section. If it didn't require too much PCD cutting I could do it myself, if there were a kit.

You know, I used to GAS hard for the Vox Night Train. I wanted to build a stereo rig around a pair of them on some badass ported 1x12" or 2x12" speakers, and the main thing that stopped me was "no effects loop." Then I started pricing out the amps and cabs and realized it was just not a good idea for this little apartment. I bet it would sound awesome, though!

I need to look into added a loop to the Blues Jr. I love putting my modulation effects in the loop. They just sound SO GREAT after the pre-amp stage.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Ummm guys.
Remember the Fender MIM Deluxe that I wanted to buy? Well. I didn't buy it. I bought something else.

I bought a 2017 USA Fender Elite Stratocaster with a Rosewood fingerboard and S/S/S pickups. This guitar was sold by an online retailer and the buyer returned it. I don't know why.
I've done about a 75% visual inspection of it, and cannot find any blemishes at all. It appears to be factory-perfect in terms of finish. The back of the neck feels fantastic, it's just the kind of satin that I like. I know that from moving it around. I haven't put note-one on it yet. I had to set up the amp and pedals because as much as I love my Yamaha THR-10, this guitar has to be tested through my Blues Jr.

Not looking forward to the stock setup with ".009s at standard pitch on it (yuck) but this weekend, if it passes this testing, I'll put my favorite string set on it (DR Tite-fit JH-10s in Eb) and do a full setup on it. That's when I'll decide if I'm going to take all the plastic/stickers off and keep it, or initiate a return and start looking for another guitar.

Knowing me, if I keep it, it'll eventually lose the whole S1-switching + V4 Noiseless pickups and get new pickups/pots/caps but if it's fun to play as-is then I'm not going to be in a hurry.

So, I got it today and have taken a lot of pictures that, frankly, don't do it justice. I've learned it's difficult to get a point&shoot camera to capture a 3-tone burst finish (had the same problems with the Tele and the Talman, especially because the flash is lovely on the camera and it causes all sorts of issues in trying to finish the picture in software) but here are some pictures for you.

First look inside the case:

The camera either under- or over- displays this, depending on what my photo-editing software likes to adjust, but the rosewood neck is loving gorgeous. It has streaks of light/dark that go all the way up the neck, and the rosewood is a really tight grain (unlike my JEM70V which has a really open grain on the fret-board) :swoon:

Fender's locking tuners:

The pictures are very different depending on whether my camera decided to flash. This is no-flash and it doesn't really show the body that well but wtf:

The back (this one had the flash so it's over-saturated, and it really brings out the seam in the body, which isn't so pronounced in normal light):

I took the Blues Jr. out of the "recording isolation closet" and plugged everything up for an initial play-test:

One last pic in a different light, no flash:

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

drat boy don't change a thing.

edit: two TCs, Fulltone wah, modded Blues Jr. and a MIA Strat. Play the balls off that setup bro. It's killer.
Thanks, Bhabhi.
Update: Did a thorough play-test. The drat guitar is fantastic. Fit, finish, tones, everything. I took those .009's off and strung it up with my DR Tite-Fit JH-10s (.010-.056) and of course had to work on the setup a little. The truss rod didn't need adjusting, but the trem-bridge naturally did.

I am going to pay a lot of money for this guitar, but after 28 years of wishing I had a dream Strat, I now have my dream Strat. O, I'll probably change out the pickups later, but for now I just want to play the gently caress out of it.

It's a tad on the heavy side, but that doesn't bother me. I can't get over the ergonomic details Fender put into this guitar. The neck is astounding, the trem is smooth but has some mass, the upper fret access is great. Love the tuners. And that finish. My God. That fretboard. Holy wow.

I now have a tri-tone burst trio. They're all wonderful. I called out from work. I'm gonna go sit and play and tweak the action a little, see how low I can get it before it's too low. Then I think I am just gonna Blues myself out until I decide to crank up the gain and Rock.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
loving-A my browser just poo poo itself and posted mid-sentence. Anyway:

Spatulater bro! posted:

Perfect. Thanks.
Just chiming in to say that sometimes, when I'm improvising over a major key Blues, I find the normal pentatonic-minor to stick out like a sore thumb. Sometimes it really just works, and I couldn't tell you why; but when it doesn't I have two fallbacks:
I either drop down three frets and play the same shape (the major pentatonic, which comes off as very country-music) or I go for the major-7 pentatonic. That's just a thing that sounds very, very good to my ears. You can play it all over the neck and for some reason it sounds very sophisticated to me. That said, it can be overused and become just as trite as any other basic blues-box playing.

I love messing around with the 7. I'll try out the min7, dom7, or maj7 in chords and pentatonic scales (especially including that flat-5th) and over major chords I like the maj7 and hanging on the maj3rd was well. It's not that sophisticated at all but you might be surprised how many guitarists try to jam over a simple 12-bar (major-key)blues and just get stuck in minor pentatonic and it sounds bad. Very bad.

All I ever did to make my improvisation sound better was learn when to use major pentatonic, natural major or minor, major 7 pentatonic, and rarely throw out a whole-tone-half-tone scale riff, or a diminished 3rds riff on the the turnaround. There's enough there to keep you going and you don't have to resort to filler like a whammy dive-bomb or doing eight bars of the same riff. You know, like Freebird. (gently caress FREEBIRD.)

VV I'm utter poo poo at key-signatures. I don't even know the circle-of-fifths. I'm lazy. VV

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jul 21, 2017

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

rio posted:

Yeah, at least a rough version from right after I wrote it. I had a more polished version with vocal harmonies and stuff but never uploaded it for some reason and now it is on an old hard drive somewhere in my closet so RIP. https://youtu.be/7drOkBGChAU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7drOkBGChAU
Dude, that's beautiful. I love to hear final fully produced songs with lots of parts and layers but it's always great to hear the song just one instrument and one voice, and as a guitarist myself, I really love the acoustic/vocal roots of any tune.
That was moving.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
rio is right, that is a common progression. Those of us who don't make bank don't go filling out our collections with top-of-the-line guitars, even when we reach for something that today is considered mid-range but when I started playing it'd be top-of-the-line. Things have changed an awful lot (and I do mean awful.)

My new Strat is one of my "4s" and it's taking a lot of effort to not come in here and spam more pictures and stuff. In so many ways (to very many people) it's just a boring throwback but to me it's turning out to be the old aesthetic with advanced ergonomics and I'll be quiet now because I could go on about this drat guitar because it's taken me so long to get here and holy poo poo I wish I could hand it to you and let you play it. I'm more and more convinced it's just superb.

Ok, gently caress it, one new picture, sue me.

E: In a way it's ok that the guitar is a throwback because I've remembered so am I.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jul 26, 2017

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Anime Reference posted:

Anybody have any experience with the new(ish) Ibanez Talmans? I was just looking at this and thinking it might be an interesting alternative to a Tele.

Southern Heel posted:

EDIT: Yep, I think Dr Faustus of this parish has been lauding them for a while now? AFAIK he put a Danny Gatton pickup set in his.
This is true! I was becoming more and more fascinated by Danny Gatton's astounding playing and wanted a t-type guitar, but being an Ibanez guy I didn't think I could enjoy the 9.5" fret-board radius on a regular Tele, so I bought the Indonesian $400 Talman reissue with locking tuners and a 12" radius. I set it up with my gauge of strings and instantly fell in love with it. It's probably the first Indonesian Ibanez I ever bought (I have three) that came with no fit or finish problems, and I played it exclusively (I don't get to play that often, working night shifts and living in an apartment) for nearly a year, letting all of my other guitars sit and wait; and when it was time to think pickups I went all-out and bought a set of JBE Danny Gattons.

I also re-wired the controls based on a trick Danny used in his music: the tone knob now works as a wah and has been swapped to the volume position for ease-of-access (and switched to knurled dome knobs):

Here she is today:

It's a really wonderful guitar. I like its quirky looks and love the neck

BTW, the tone-knob wah trick is very old. It came from pedal-steel guitars, which were among the first to get tone controls, and Danny shows his off to great effect. The first player I've seen referenced using it on a guitar is Roy Buchanan.
This is the only video I've found that gets right to the point, but it's a little cringe-y:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvPVlV1JfZk

The Talman lead me to taking the plunge on my first "real" Tele, a MIM Standard ($600) that got the same tone mod, and control plate reversed for easy pinky access to the knobs, and string-saver saddles. The stock pickups got swapped out for Lindy Fralin's "Stock Tele" set, with a 5% over-wound bridge pickup and 2% over-wound neck pickup (this is a great set of pickups, but they're not noiseless like the Gattons which are actually voiced humbuckers):

... and I love this Fender so much it has lead to the purchase of my first ever Fender Stratocaster: a MIA 2017 Elite ($*gulp*):

I've wanted a Strat since before I ever played. Specifically a burst with a rosewood neck. I just never liked the way they played. This one has some neat ergonomics and a fantastic compound radius/compound shaped neck. I'm going to be paying this off for awhile, so no new gear for me (unless I decide to swap out the stock pickups, which I always do).

So now I own a trio of tri-bursts! It's a big departure from my stable of Ibanez RGs and JEMs, and it's fun to be exploring new (to me) old-school guitar styles.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I can't get through listening to his recording of Harlem Nocturne without getting choked up. Dude was apparently just a really great guy who loved cars and guitars. I hate it that he's gone.

After almost two years of trying, I can't actually play any of his stuff.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Tweezer Reprise posted:

Do most luthiers offer refinishing? I think I want to get an affordable SG or Tele and get it redone in Inca Silver or Lake Placid Blue. :getin:
This is a difficult thing. Here in the Charlotte area there are a few luthiers with spray-booths but they're so popular their backlogs are very, very long.

Someone turned me onto these guys, and if I ever decide to get my home-built Strat-style painted I'll get a quote from them: Southbound Custom. I believe they're based in Nashville. I'm sure they're not cheap, but they are willing to do basically anything.

I think my old Strat-style would look great in grand piano black. The body is so beat-to-poo poo I can't see myself changing it now.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Ooof. Don't remind me. I tried to do a drop-fill and buff out on a guitar. I thought it looked like an ok beginner project.

Let's just say I failed and I'll leave it to the pros with the right tools from now on.

There's so much buffing involved it's one of the hardest chores since "I'm gonna scallop my own fretboard."

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
My practice before joining a band (at 23, in 1993) was just buying guitar magazines that had bad tablature in them and then spending the days after school before my Dad came home from work (he wasn't putting up with that noise) playing along with cassettes/CDs. Ear-training and then just trying to play along with a studio song just happened naturally. I never practiced with a metronome and the scales I practiced then I still can't shred today. I suck.
This was before mp3s, being able to slow stuff down, and pitch-shift, and all that cool poo poo that you can just do on your phone now, and your practice amp probably has a line in to let you play along.

Now, when I want to learn something that's always eluded me (like, how does EVH actually play the riff from Drop Dead Legs) all I have to do is go on YouTube and there's 10 videos. One or two of them are right. I love YouTube, although it sucks being shown how easy some people make it look.

Um, get off my lawn or whatever.

Lessons are great but you have to find a teacher who's got the right priorities and isn't a fraud. I took bass guitar lessons for a short time, and the focus was fundamental: intervals, the major scale, triads, and the relative modes of the major scale. I never got great at the relative modes but I know enough basic stuff to get the gist of a chord progression. It's served me well enough I guess but I found playing with other (competent) musicians to be the most rewarding practice of all, and a lot of my favorite licks and stuff were mistakes that we made, but resolved them into sounding intentional. You don't get that from playing with an MP3.

Finding people to play with, now THAT'S hard, because we all seem to over-evaluate our skills and some more than others. poo poo I could write a thesis on this but if you've ever tried playing with two/three people you've never met before, you already know.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Anime Reference posted:

I know which answer I'm picking.

Just pulled the trigger on a Talman, white on white with a rosewood fingerboard. Saved $50 by getting a return that Musician's Friend claims is in mint condition. Figures I'd go Tele shopping and end up with an Ibanez instead, but it seems like exactly what I wanted and I love the look of the thing.
Hey Talman bro, just posting to wish you well in your purchase. I've had issues with Indonesian Ibanezes before, but my Talman came in 100% tight as hell.
And the ridiculously expensive Strat I just bought was an online return. After *much* inspection I finally found some light scratches on the front and some screwdriver dents near one of the corner screws on the backplate. I don't think I can do anything about those little dents on the back, but the light scratches on the front buffed out with one of the automotive swirl-mark removal polishing compounds I keep on hand so it's drat close to pristine again.
Buying guitars online is risky, but as long as you've got a good return policy you're set, as long as you don't mind the exchange process if you get a lemon.

Fingers crossed for your Talman. I hope it's great right out of the box. The stock pickups sound quite good, too. They're obviously wound for people who want a fuller, deeper tone than the stock Tele sound, so your mileage may vary.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Anime Reference posted:

My Talman just arrived. They weren't kidding about it being "like new" -- the pickguard and neck pickup still have plastic protectors on them. The neck dimensions are perfect for my hand, although the setup needs a bit of love. I guess I'll take a shot at doing it myself (and then take it to professionals after inevitably loving it up.) The sound was a little disappointing at first until I realized I had to goose the input gain a bit -- I had it set for my Schecter and apparently the pickups in that thing are wrecking balls. With that sorted out I am now happily Tele-ing away.

Now time to learn a bunch of Cramps songs and annoy the neighbors with them.
Awesome sauce. If you get the action/relief set where you like it, check the pickup height next. The stock Talman pickups are not shy at all.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Southern Heel posted:

Sorry, I didn't mean to denigrate any bass players (for those bass players reading, that means 'to put down').
Bwahahahaha dude that's classic thank you! (I started out on bass myself).

Reminds me of that joke, "Now I don't mean to patronize you, and by the way being patroizing to someone... is when you speak to them... as if... they are stupid...."

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Southern Heel posted:

Vito Bratta, quite a cool dude:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqSsIHW0NWg

So I can't see the 'post your music for critique' thing, but I did a very quick one-take cover of the last minute or so of Kickstart your Heart. It's all me, except the drums. Starts off a little rough, but I think it gets going properly about 20 seconds in. All the lead parts are roughly the right thing but completely off the cuff and it doesn't sound TOTALLY out of place IMO:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UIRywtqJRc
I always liked Vito. Some of my High School contemporaries felt he was ripping off EVH too much but my close buddies and I all thought he was cool. He seemed cool and unpretentious even back then.
I felt he was too good for his band (ok, for his lead singer.) I'll never forget the very very first time I heard "When the Children Cry." I was in my car and this beautiful intro piece comes on the radio. I looked at my radio like, wtf, who is this, holy poo poo this is gorgeous! Then the first verse started and I heard that lovely gravelly whiny-rear end voice; and the song was ruined for me forever. That intro stood out as one of the better ballad pieces during that period, it's a shame about that singer. I feel the same way about Slaugher, btw, so come at me bros.

Your Crue cover is fun. Your drummer is awesome! ;) Recording can really be fun when you're doing it just for the joy of it. Rock on and don't slow down.

To contribute:
I recorded something today since I had some time before I have to start getting ready for the work-week (cooking some lunches, doing laundry, all that BS) and the apartment below me is currently vacant so no noise worries.

This was a test-drive of the pickups in the new Stratocaster I posted upthread.

I put the Blues Jr. back in front of the mics and recorded two clips which should be a good test for any set of Strat pickups:
Set the amp very clean for a bit of SRV's "Lenny" (sorry about the execution, that loving song is hard!) I wanted to play Lenny because I've had a Strat-style forever but it's a hard-tail, so no-go on the vibrato on chords and stuff. This is my first Strat, and I wanted to try that slippery pitch-dipping thing Stevie does so well in that tune, so that's why I chose it. I kinda murdered it. Those are the Fender V4 Noiseless pickups, middle+neck position.

Then I turned the preamp all the way up, turned on the OCD (Volume knob 2 o'clock, Tone knob neutral at 12 o'clock, and Drive knob up at almost 10 o'clock.) It's a little bit of "High Wire," which is track one from Jake E. Lee's first Badlands album. Jake didn't really use this much gain but I wanted to see how the bridge pickup fared with all that gain. I did post-process the stuff so it's not a reference demo like I'm trying to get out of the Blues Jr., it's just for fun to see what I can get out of the stock pickups before I think about aftermarket replacements.
I think the pickups acquit themselves quite well and if there's anything missing, it's the amp (and my execution/engineering). Plus I didn't spend any time on mic placement or dialing poo poo in, I just hit record and ran with it. "No prob, we'll fix it in the mix!" :v:

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Southern Heel posted:

I really liked the clean sound, the percussive snap of those notes sounded great. I wasn't a huge fan of the dirt but I imagine it would cut through a mix like crazy. I'm still trying to let go of that 'I can have my cake and eat it' approach to guitar tone.
After mixing this on my monitors, I later listened on some headphones and through my home theater, and I definitely agree.

Somehow the clean part came through full-range and Fender-y enough for me.

But the overdriven section, which sounded perfect through the monitors, was all mids and highs.

I believe I have disovered the culprit (apart from not having moved the mics for the dirty part): My monitors are rear-ported. They are too close to the wall behind them and I am pretty sure I'm getting bass reinforcement and I'm hearing bass that isn't in the source material.

Due to limited space and the shape/placement of my music desk, I don't have a ready solution for this yet. I'm going to have to consider completely rearranging my music/work area. I'll think about it this week and maybe do it next weekend.

Thanks for the feedback, though! I just recorded to see how those pickups sound mic'ed up through the Blues Jr.

rant:

You see, I have one good friend (of thiry years now) who, I poo poo you not, told me that "I played the V1 Noiseless pickups and they loving sucked, and BTW when you take a Strat and put a fake bone nut on it, a two-pivot trem, a rounded neck heel, this double-action truss-rod with the adjustment at the body, and the compound neck radius/shape... dude once you gently caress with it that much, that's not even a Strat anymore." (!)
He's not jealous I bought a MIA Strat (he owns partscasters and MIM and MIJ Strats, and that's cool, I love my MIM Tele and my Strat-style Schecter/Warmoth guitar), but he literally is against all the nice ergonomic features I was looking for in a Strat because he considers himself some kind of purist snob.
This purist snob is the same guy who bought four Chibsons, once had fake Charvel logos made for a partscaster headstock, and almost put Fender waterslide decals on some aftermarket neck but we mocked him mercilessly until he gave up on that. Plus, he had a friend who worked at Zion Guitars who managed to get them to put a legit Zion neck on a MIM Strat body he had. He calls it a Zion guitar (but not around me). I love the guy but, goddamn!

gently caress you man, I own a Strat now. (He'll settle down once he plays it. It's turning out to be everything I'd hoped for.)

/rant

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Southern Heel posted:

I didn't realise people like this exist in real life? Like, literally nowhere have I had that kind of conversation. Bizarre.
I don't know how old you are, but this is the result of your basic inferiority complex (he's 45 years old and still trying to break into the music industry) causing massive overcompensation. Through Facebook he's slightly connected to some people with actual industry experience and he wants it soooo baaad. Me, I gave up on that poo poo in the late 90s and just keep it as a hobby. I am an opinionated snob, too, in my own way; but I'm going to be 46 next month I'm just trying to have a good time.
He falls for every fad you can think of: over-the-top expensive picks, bridge pins, demands bone nuts and whatever else his current guitar hero hypes. We love him, he's talented and nice but he's kinda lost his mind to the pursuit.
He has the grace to admit it. We give him friendly grief and tease him a lot. He does have pretty good taste in gear now and he gets some really good tones, and his new original material is frankly very very good.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Joe Barden Electronics Danny Gatton models. :getin: (They only cost 2/3rd the price of your Talman!)

I can second the Fralin Tele pickup reccommendation, you can get a stock bridge pickup with overwound options and they come with bass-plates installed. I love mine.

I did a pickup test with the latest Fender Noiseless Strat pickups on the last page but haven't heard the Tele versions.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
loving A that is incredible!
I love Robben Ford, and I've drooled over his sig models online for many years. I knew they were based on that guitar, I've always wondered if they were anywhere near as good. Does it have a JB in the bridge and a '59 in the neck? If it doesn't, it should!

I want one!

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
My Ibanez collection is nothing compared to my buddy's. I've got two JEMs, two RGs, and a USA Custom.
He's got more RGs than I even know about. He also put ToneZones into ALL of them. He's the ENGL dude, let's just say he knows what he likes. He's never bought a JEM though, which is weird because he's loaded and I know he wants one. He has one really gorgeous S-series, too. I should get him to count his RGs, you wouldn't believe it.

He also tells me I only have one JEM because my 77FP counts but my 7VSFG doesn't because it's a Premium JEM so it isn't real. :(

Everybody is so damned judgemental!!!

Anway my last three purchases have been a Talman, a Tele, and a Strat. At this point I want more guitars, but specificially so I can get different pickups: especially a platform or two for P90s.

The only guitar I ever bought (traded a 4x12 cabinet for) that I parted with was a really beautiful Fender "50's Hot Rod Reissue" Strat. It was so pretty. Metallic cherry red with a maple fretboard and real Floyd Rose. Played like poo poo. The neck had way too much fall-away above the 12th fret and there was nothing to be done with it so I sold it.
Every other instrument I bought I made mine and will never sell.

Now, that D'Aquisto that my Dad gave me, I'd love to turn that into gear money but because it was an anniversary gift from Mom to Dad, which Dad "handed down" to me after sourcing a much better Ultra version, I'm "explicitly forbidden" to sell it, even though I will never have any use for it.
I may sell it anyway, someday, but it's not really worth enough to risk infuriating my Mom.

I also want more hard-tails so I can ave different pickup sets that I can tune to whatever I'm in the mood to play. All of my instruments are 1/2-step down, and I play around with drop-D and various oddball tunings King's X used.

Sorry for the nothinburger post, I'm on break at work and it's been too crazy for me to be hungry and eat.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Kilometers Davis posted:

The F#madd9 in Message in a Bottle is the stupidest finger ruiner.
Satriani actually talks about that chord. He uses it in one of his ealier songs (from Not of This Earth or Surfing, maybe on "Rubina?") and he mentioned in an interview how he got a little sadistic joy out of teaching that fingering to his students.

I tried playing that barre chord not long ago, up and down the fretboard; and was dismayed to find myself hunched over the neck and sweating. I couldn't plant it cleanly (a string would either get muted or buzz because my pinky or index-finger barre wasn't firmly planted behind the fret) and I gave up after awhile. Swearing.
It was upsetting, because I used to play it on the reg back in my "gigging chops" days.

I play the open E version a lot to compensate.

It's a beautiful chord but yeah, it's a benchpress with a crazy extension on top of it. gently caress.

E: Just realized I was talking about the maj. version, but it applies to both the maj and min versions.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Aug 12, 2017

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Yep! Endless Pain, that's what I (sorta) remembered.

I am old.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Spanish Manlove posted:

Wait, there are keys other than E and A minor?
Not really.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Salt Fish posted:

Whats your opinion on the Jem? I play an Rg3570z and I loooooove that guitar. I was thinking about grabbing one of the last 30th anniversary Jems from ibanezrules to celebrate a new job, but I'm really hesitant to try a new neck because I'm very attached to the super wizard I'm using. The RGR652AHB is a candidate as well, or maybe an S series...
In terms of basic playability and specs, except for the neck being a little thicker than a Wizard neck, a JEM is just an RG with a handgrip and fancy trem rout, and if you're lucky, a few scalloped frets. You hope when you pay the extra for a JEM you're getting something special, and if you're able to afford a MIJ JEM you most likely are (but that's just my opinion, I can't prove it.)

I can say from literally decades of experience that I've never had a moment's issue switching between my Wizard and JEM necks. Don't let the neck dimensions phaze ya. The JEM neck isn't much thicker than the Wizard. Not saying it's not noticeable, but it won't throw you off or slow you down. I think all of my RG style guitars have the same fretwire and fretboard radii, so that helps.

I think the MIJ JEMs are simply amazing guitars and it has nothing to do with if you like Vai's use of them.
As far as electronics go, out of the pickups I had (2 PAF Pros, 2 Evolutions, and 2 JEM singles) I only kept the JEM singles and the neck Evolution in the guitars. The PAFs got swapped and so did the bridge Evolution. Your mileage may vary.

If you love Ibanez RGs I think you'd find a nice MIJ JEM to be a real special addition to your collection. That's my opinion. :)

Double E: Typos and I feel the need to add this thought - I kept stressing MIJ because five years ago when I bought my Premium JEM (Made in Indonesia) it came to me with flaws in the fretwork that should never have left any factory at that price-point. Luckily, Hoshino USA fixed it for me for free, even though I only figured out what was wrong just after the warranty had expired. They fixed me right up in just over a single week. I am pretty sure QC has improved since then because the Talman I bought came to me with 100% perfect fit and finish and that was just on a $400 guitar. Hopefully other folks who've bought guitars from those factories more recently can report in as to how Ibanez is doing in that regard.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Aug 14, 2017

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Salt Fish posted:

Yeah, I'm definitely looking for MIJ, but I will say that the indo UV premium I got from Rich is basically perfect. I'm not sure how much of that is his setup and fretwork vs factory. Have you played an S series? They don't have the options I like just at the moment but I like the idea of a slimmed down body.

On pickups; I definitely don't want another set of Tone Zone True Velvet, Air Norton, and that seems to be 90% of RGs. The one I mentioned, the RGR652AHB has Dimarazio Fusions, and the Jem of course Evolutions. I'm not crazy about the Dimarzio Blaze in the universe; not enough output for me, especially when I play a 7 string, so I'm leaning towards the RG with fusions just for that. I wish the prestige bareknuckle models had some pickup markers and an edge pro. If I could find an S with lo-pro, blackouts, and fret markers that might be the perfect mix.
Interesting. Our tastes intersect in some places but not in others. My JEM70VSFG is my "hottest" guitar, in that I put a Crunch Lab in it. It's the closest thing I have to an actual "metal" guitar. My hottest pickups (bridge position) are the Crunch Lab, JB, and FRED. I don't know where my Custom Custom fits in there. The rest of my bridge humbuckers are a Pearly Gates and a DiMarzio Eric Johnson. I lean towards the lower/vintage output end of things because I love their brightness and they all seem to take high gain well, while being really exceptional when run in parallel.

I'm actually burnt out on the ToneZone because of the guy I mentioned earlier, who buys guitars and eventually puts ToneZones in them all. I know Paul Gilbert wanted a pickup that emphasized pick-attack, and when I hear them around I hear this forced pick-attack and it rubs me the wrong way. Of course, when Paul puts them to use I don't mind at all.

I am a huge fan of the S series, some of the most beautiful Ibanezes I've seen are S Series guitars, but I've never bought one. I've played many and they're great instruments.

I'm totally with you on the Lo-Pro trem, I think it's the best double-locking trem made, with the Ibanez Edge right behind it. I had a bridge Evolution a long time ago that my friend didn't want so he let me put it in my 770DX. I liked it, but it was too harsh sounding (meanwhile other players tell me it's too dark, which is the opposite of my experience, so wtf?) Once I got into Robben Ford I put the JB/Blue Velvet/'59 set in there and it's a go-to guitar for so many reasons. The JB sounds AMAZING in parallel, too. It would be the guitar I would use in the studio if I were doing an original project. It's just got amazing personality and plays like a dream.

My favorite "Ibanez features" are the all-access neck joint, the Lo-Pro Edge (but I'm more of a hard-tail guy now), the incredibly flat neck radius with big frets, and I have two necks that have the volute behind the nut which I think is just awesome. And the RG body itself is just the perfect body. Yeah, ok, it's pointy. But I was 16 when the new Ibanez line came out and you just didn't see flat two-octave necks with huge frets and a really deep lower cutaway that let you really use those frets. I'm not trying to start a fight with anyone, I'm just remembering what it was like when the coolest "new" guitars at my local music stores in Raleigh were Jacksons and Kramers. I was talking about building a guitar from parts and the store manager, a friend of the family and the guitarist for the band My 3 Sons told me, "Don't do it. It's too much work, too easy to screw up, and Ibanez has a new line of guitars coming out that's right up your alley. Just wait." He was so right!

Take those features and make a JEM out of them and I'm even more stoked.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Spanish Manlove posted:

When I went to go see toxic holocaust/nails they did it smartly where everyone played through the same amps but changed their effects/guitars so time between bands was pretty quick. One of the amps was a Splawn and I thought "holy poo poo dude why would you tour with a custom amp, that thing's probably expensive as gently caress" but after double checking their website just now, I learned that a hot rodded jcm800 clone is slightly cheaper than a new, stock jcm800. Did not expect that.
I have a funny story about that.

A friend of a friend bought a Splawn. Turns out, he thought it was poo poo. Garbage.

I don't pretend to know why he thought so, but he had lots of 100W tube heads, including Marshall JCM800s (yes there are many versions and you must choose wisely).
He didn't want this one.

So he called the shop and said, "I want to return this amp for a refund."

It was as if he were speaking another language. No one who was willing to pick up the phone could even imagine not being in love with a Splawn-modified JCM-800. They couldn't wrap their heads around it. I don't know, I never played or heard the amp, so I just think it's hilarious that a whole shop is going, "But, dude, it's a Splawn. NO ONE returns a Splawn."
"Yeah but I want to, I don't like it. It doesn't do what I thought it would do."
"BUT NO ONE RETURNS A SPLAWN! NO ONE! EVER!"

In the end they took it back, but it was a drawn-out conflict. Maybe the buyer was stupid and it was awesome, I don't know. I just thought the response was hilarious.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

loving TRIGGERED

*literally shaking*

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Aug 22, 2017

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Primetime posted:

Anyone ever have an issue with an amp picking up radio stations?

I pulled out my guitar again after years of not playing because I picked up rocksmith 2014 for like $10. I plugged in my old amp again (no idea what year it is but it was used in ~2006), and it's picking up some local rock station whenever it's on. Not a guitar issue since it plays regardless of what's plugged in.

Anything I can do to fix this? I don't really want to shell out for a new amp (Id really rather buy a new guitar since I'm not a poor high schooler like I was when I got my current gear) but it's hard to play over Led Zeppelin when I'm practicing.
Had this problem at a friend's house. It only happened in the bedroom over the garage. Turned out to be lovely electrical wiring in that part of his house.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I had a ground issue or something in a pedal I built because it was pickup a Japanese radio station, seemingly above unity gain.

There are no Japanese radio stations anywhere near me. :cthulhu:
Was it a Miku clone? :v:

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

rio posted:

So way back a couple of weeks ago, nickhimself had asked for some clarification about the scale shapes I had mentioned. I said that it would be easier to record it to explain it but then got severe poison ivy so I just got around to doing it and thought I would post it here in case anyone is curious. It isn't short because I have no idea what people's backgrounds are who might find it on youtube but here is the video on both chord shapes and scale shapes relating to CAGED. If you know about movable chord shapes relating to CAGED then you can skip to 9:15 for the beginning of the scale shape section and the explanation of what it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X350nrnMpaI
As a long time seat-of-the-pants player who "knows" just a little theory I want to thank you (along with the others) for taking the time to share your knowledge with us like this. I've been looking for ways to improve my playing but with work and other interests I never seem to do much practice. The recent discussion has made me think a lot harder about working with a metronome and getting re-aquainted with the relative modes of the major scale and finally learning the guitar neck.

Sincere thanks.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

...and the pitch! posted:

I'm probably the worst player posting.

Anyway, I started trying to learn the intro to Still Got the Blues and those bends are tearing up my fingers. I sit around and noodle with minor pentatonic and I guess I haven't been asking much of my fingers. It's good tho. I guess this is what all that callus talk is about.
O yeah, that's a great tune. Used to play it all the time in a blues/rock band (minus the horns string section) and it was so much fun to play.

I love that bit in the outro solo where he switches from the neck pickup to the bridge pickup right in the middle of a 1/2-step bend. It sounds like he's re-picking the note but it's actually the brightness of the bridge pickup kicking in. I fell in love with that album when it came out. It got stale eventually, but he was a lot of fun to listen to. RIP, Les Paul dude.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Spatulater bro! posted:

Any suggestions or thoughts about my project?
Mere's my $0.02, but bear in mind I'm just spouting off without any idea of what sorts of power tools you have or can access.

For fret leveling: I think you may find two tools necessary: the non-straight straight edge tool, it's the straight bar with slots cut out for the frets so you can test/level a neck/fretboard with the current frets installed, and also that expensive sanding beam.

I watched a guy on YouTube do a fairly quick level on a cheap neck (no neck-jig needed) thus:

(Note: I doubt this would be viable if the neck itself were warped or had humps, bows, etc.)

Removed the neck and set the neck flat using the first tool, just adjusting the truss rod
Blacked out the frets with black ink
Ran the sanding beam up and down a few times to find the low spots (where the ink remained)
He proceeded to level the frets with the beam (rough side first, fine side to finish) then re-blacked them all with ink again
He used a rounding file to re-crown the frets, being sure to leave a thin black line of ink along the crown of the fret
To finish the frets, he simply folded over some 600-grit sandpaper and ran it up and down the frets, and finished with the same process and 1000-grit.

He brought the fretboard finish back with a buffing wheel, but I bet you could do that with micro-fiber. Which brings me to my next thought:

I happen to have quite a bit of micro-fiber cloth that I bought when I tried to do a drop-fill, level and finish repair on the back of a guitar, which had a few deep-ish dents. It looked like something I could probably get close enough on the first try. Well, I failed pretty badly.

It's still waiting for a pro to repair my repair. It's on the back of the guitar so I don't think about it often. It was damned humbling, though.

With that in mind, I suspect re-finishing any guitar requires either a) some great spaces and expensive, specialized tools or b) a lot of improvisation and a tremendous amount of elbow-grease. On top of that: time. Weeks and weeks of it.The black lacquer I bought from Stew-Mac (which I never actually had the nerve or the place to use) needs about 10 weeks to cure. Obviously other types of paints won't need all that, but the sanding and then polishing by hand alone (if that's how you end up doing it) is daunting to say the least; and if you happen to sand through the color, you done hosed up good.

On the other hand, if you can get this process down, it would be incredibly valuable knowledge.

The rest of you project seems quite reasonable, unless you can't find a good replacement trem. I'm pretty sure they're out there, but the tolerances for mounting and such need to spot-on unless you want to fill and re-drill holes.

Sorry if this seemed too negative, I could be over-thinking the fret-leveling, but painting a guitar is the kind of thing I've looked into and have never found a guy with a spray-booth who was willing to do it on the cheap. It seems to be a very intensive process.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Spatulater bro! posted:

This is all a learning experience.
It sure is! I learned I wasn't up to it, but your mileage etc.
You seem to have your eyes open and that's cool. Also it's good that you may only have a couple high/low spots to level. High spots are easy, low spots... I doubt they are so easy.

I hope you'll keep us posted and I appreciate you not taking my long Fausty post as me being overly negative. If you do succeed in doing the refinishing I want to know because I can probably fix my little oops.

P.S. - You're right, it was Wills Easy Guitar vid of turning some MIM strat parts into an SRV #1 (which was hilarious because he strung it up with GHS Boomer 13s and didn't actually know any SRV songs or riffs or vamps, and played through a Line 6 but I never doubted the guy knew his poo poo, because he wound his own pickups and took the project quite seriously.)

Here's the video if anyone cares:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNPlJk-eWZQ

Made me wish I had those fret tools.

VV Pretty sure you and I watched it about the same day. VV

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Aug 31, 2017

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Professor Science posted:

Was gonna say, knurled metal knobs are best knobs
Not for everyone, but this is, as we say, "extremely my poo poo."

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
KD, are you looking for a double-locking trem on that guitar?

(Greg Howe is awesome.)

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Well man, in that case I'm not sure because, to me a "SuperStrat" isn't usually a Fender. (It's usually some form of Ibanez RG.)

I love H/S/S and H/S/H, because there are lots of options with both.

Ibanez does NOT make enough hard-tail guitars with three pickups. The Iron Label stuff is cool but they're all H/H.

To me, the perfect "Superstrat" looks something like this (in form, if not in finish):

https://reverb.com/item/816611-ibanez-rg-471-ah-2011-natural-ash

For example, why can't I just get something like this with H/S/H or H/S/S?

http://www.ibanez.com/products/eg_detail17.php?year=2017&area_id=3&cat_id=1&series_id=1&data_id=432&color=CL01

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Sep 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
The RG471 came out at $400 and the QC was dogshit. They had great features but you never knew if you'd get a decent one. They're still making versions it, I have to assume the QC is better now. But I don't see any three-pickup versions. The blue one I posted is $400, but only comes in H/H.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/RG421AHMBMT

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Sep 3, 2017