Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

I feel like TaptheForwardAssist had a uke thread in GBS 3 or 4 years agao.

I don't know how that helps you today!
TTFA also had a weird instrument thread in A/T, but it's locked these days and he's banned. That thread sold so many penny whistles, Appalachian dulcimers and ukes. :banjo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

What about Ukuleles? Is this the thread for that, or is there a better thread? I looked and couldn't find anything direct for that.
Since there's at least two of us, I made a thread for everyone's favourite tiny guitar with hosed-up tuning: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3873695

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Krustic posted:

I bought a red sparkle squire bullet telecaster as a christmas gift for a family member and it is a surprisingly playable decent guitar. I guess manufacturing methods have come a long way since the last time I was in the market for a beginner guitar. And now of course I want a cheap Tele.
Tell me about the downsides? I've been looking into buying my first guitar lately and have been waffling between the Bullet Tele and a real guitar.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Take some scotch-brite to it?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Here's another Youtube music theory guy, he's got a whole playlist on the basics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTOOWe_yLwY

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

You're not bending your wrist to make the fingering easier, are you?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I turned thirty and decided it's time to learn an instrument.

It's real nice. :kimchi:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Buy a Boss Katana 100, it models basically every pedal Boss makes. Just run a cable out of the FX send into the front of your actual amplifier. :science:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

This channel made me buy a nice guitar. 5/5 would recommend.

(join usssss...)

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Lester Shy posted:

Rabea Massad
Bea plays in three bands and has a solo project going on. He's in Dorje and Toska and gigs with Leo Moracchioli's Frog Leap.

Edit: Also Toska's new album is real good.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Wound third gang what up! Just finished putting a set of tens on my strat as well.

It's certainly made my chord changes noisier, but can’t really tell a difference quite yet.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

If you get the Katana Mini, make sure to buy a power supply or a whole bunch of batteries. It doesn't come with either.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

The THR5 is about $100 cheaper than the 10, and only things you lose are the three-band eq and memory slots. ;)

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

You got old. Time to buy a strat, sorry.

Edit: The actual answer is that a bunch of veins and nerves go around the elbow exactly where the guitar is digging in. Try rolling your shoulders back.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Jan 30, 2019

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Who the heck wears a sweatband around their elbow?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Try swapping the pots with each other before buying new ones. That way you'll know which kind of taper you prefer for your volume.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Git Mah Belt Son posted:

I have a 1997 Epi Dot currently that I love the feel of, but the pickups are very poor and the electronics are next to useless so I'd have to gut it. I don't want to bother with swapping out electronics on it since semi hollows are a major pain to deal with.
How much would it cost you to buy better parts and pay a tech to install them?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

If you can, try turning down the boost in the pedal and turning yourself up at the mixing desk.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Synnr posted:

Would this be where I'd ask about constructing chords and such in standard notation or is there a general I guess.. Music theory thread?

I'm taking a "guitar for dummies" course and our up coming test includes a section on identifying and writing out given chords, but straight memorization is boring and there's obviously a systematic nature to it, I just can't seem to derive it from what I've been looking at and the finger positions chart given to us by the instructor. Stacking them up a staff doesn't really clue me in, so I'm generally confused. It's major/minor/dominant 7th.
Wikipedia has a bunch of solid articles on different chords, but the short answer is, a seventh chord is a regular triad plus a note seven staff positions above the root. A dominant seventh chord is a major triad with a minor seventh, while in a major seventh both are major and in a minor seventh both are minor.

Edit: Also if you need to find the minor seventh on the fretboard, there's one two strings up from the root of the chord, on the same fret.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Mar 6, 2019

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I've got GAS for an SD-1 because it's reasonably priced and a store nearby sells them. Literally no other reason.

I can't even play the drat guitar yet. :negative:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Helianthus Annuus posted:

pls dont play guitar in a way that causes pain.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

You'll get the power stage tone too, the only thing missing is the speaker cab.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

If I wanted to play classical guitar I would have bought a nylon!!!

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

It's the good kind of dumb. This might help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSz7GrRdHc0

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

If you dig around, the TPS boys have done videos on sanely-priced wet-dry rigs and simple stereo rigs as well. Dan rigs pedalboards for a living so they tend to get down to the weeds on topics like this.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

If it sounds bad, fiddle with the placement. Try pointing it at the 12th fret instead of the soundhole (or vice versa) and play with the distance.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Turn off your Metalzone.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Can you show a notated example?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

:eyepop:

Edit: Try either "ta-ka-ta-ka-ta" or "1-2-3-1-2" I guess?

Siivola fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Apr 20, 2019

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

former glory posted:

I think I delayed my development a bit
It's not a sprint.

You've spent this time building up the physical ability to play scales at a consistent 130 BPM. That's a different ability from correctly subdividing 8th or 16th notes. Relax.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Gnumonic posted:

I think what's loving with me is that I can't figure out what the "strong" parts of the beat are on a 5-tuplet. If that makes sense? But I'll try these and see if they help.
The first beat is on the first note of the tuplet. The third beat of a four-beat bar falls exactly between notes three and four of the quintuplet.

Edit: If your metronome is clicking at 4/4 you're basically playing a 5/4 polyrhythm, which is pretty tricky. Try 2/4 or 1/4.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Apr 21, 2019

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Traditionally, all three pickups on a strat are the same. The tonal differences come from position and pot values.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

No that's a clean F7 sorry.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Elvis, Johnny Cash and the Rolling Stones all have a bunch of songs that are a basic 12-bar blues or something equally straightforward.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

That's where the other four pentatonic boxes come in. Remember how the second shape connects to the first? That second shape is still rooted in A, and full of those sweet A minor pentatonic notes, only higher.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

former glory posted:

I don't quite follow. Is the first shape the major scale and second the minor pent? I can see how they relate to each other in that the A roots are all there in the minor pent, but it has these higher notes all the way along between the octaves.
These are all subsets of the A minor pentatonic scale:

Any note marked on the charts belongs in the scale. Because they slot neatly into each other, together the five boxes cover all the notes in the pentatonic scale over twelve frets, and then the pattern repeats.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Mm, how first principles would you like to go? If you need a crash course on music theory fundamentals like "what's a scale anyway", I recommend this playlist.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Okay that's how scales are constructed, but how do you get from that to, ehm, fretboard fluency?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Gnumonic posted:

First you learn the arpeggios, then you learn the pentatonic scales, than you learn the major/minor scales? I mean that's what I did. I'm mainly pointing out this arpeggio poo poo cuz if you start with the arpeggios you have substantially fewer notes to memorize.
I almost dismissed you offhand because I didn't understand what you were driving at, but I just tried it on the actual guitar and I'm real glad I did. Really neat stuff, thanks! Are the pictures from the Fretboard Fluency book you mentioned the other day?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

What's your setup and what are you trying to do?

Edit: The answer is probably "turn down the gain knob" but hey you never know.