Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

zenless posted:

edit: on second thought i'm still too embarrassed to play with someone else

Don't be. Almost nobody gives a crap, and the people who do aren't the people you want to jam with anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Schpyder posted:

Reverend just updated their site with the models they're showing at NAMM. The stuff I mentioned before shows up, as well as a couple things I wasn't expecting:

Descent RA Baritone

I had no idea I really wanted one of these until you posted. Thanks a lot. :argh:

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

pointlessone posted:

Playing surf on anything in surf/seafoam green just plays better. It's like red making things faster. I'm pretty sure there's a law somewhere about that.

Mumble mumble mumble... quantum physics... mumble mumble mumble. So as you can see, I clearly need this new guitar.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Southern Heel posted:

^ From my perspective a Strat was a no-go; I never really used the inbetween positions and the tremolo set-up floating made bending over another note really painful to listen to.

Check out Wooten's 'chromatic scale' video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biunavwAl_w

"I can erase the 'wrong note' by making music with it." :monocle:

Great video!

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Kilometers Davis posted:

poo poo I hope to learn over the next year: the two Barrett Tagliarino books I picked up on rhythmic soloing and chord tones/improvisation. I found my weak spot and I'm taking it head on. No more aimless pentatonic noodling for me. Okay maybe a little but I'm allowed.

I was thinking about this the last couple days as I forced myself to not play the minor pentatonic / blues scale. It's not that I don't "know" the other scales / shapes, so why is it so hard? For me at least, I think part of it (maybe all of it?) is that the phrasing and sound of what I've been doing is so ingrained that the "right" notes in the other modes sound wrong because I expect that pentatonic feel. So for me, I'm going to pick a mode (starting with Mixolydian for no real reason) and just goof off in it until I develop some phrases that feel good to build on. I am basically just reiterating what you are saying, but your posts really made me look at what I've been doing since I started playing again (about ~1 year back in after 15 years off...) and note something similar in my playing. So thanks!

EDIT: I found this video from some series 'Guitar Moves' that was one of the suggested videos from the chromatic scale video somebody posted a few pages ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJDUHq2mJx0 There's a little bit in the middle where he plays this odd 1, flat 3, 3, sharp 4, 5, 6, 7, 1 thing (I don't know my music :words: sorry!) that really hit it with me as well. It's so not what I do and "wrong-notey" but it somehow is so wonderful.

Lumpy fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Mar 15, 2015

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

muike posted:

I don't know at what point I hit it but one day I realized I knew what every note on the fretboard was and it was cool

On the other hand, I first picked up a guitar in the late 80's and I generally can remember the name of the strings and the two notes on the 5th fret of the E and A string.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
So I signed up for that GuitarOS thing last night, and did my first "lesson" this am, and I learned more in 15 minutes than I did in the last many, many years. Now to see if I retain any of it...

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Hollis Brownsound posted:

So one of my instructors at my shop owns a company that makes vinyl covers for medical devices, mostly insulin pumps. Together we tossed around the idea of making vinyl pick guard covers.

So he did it and I'm going to start selling them out of my shop

Here's my new decked out strat:

They are completely customizable from just about any image of a high enough resolution. They're made out or "7 year" vinyl which means they should last for 7 years exposed to the elements outside. on a guitar they should last for quite a bit longer. Though a very heavy handed strummer may wear through them.

So my question for you all. Would you hypothetically pay around $16 for one?

Hot drat, that's gorgeous. I'd start them at $24.95 at least (giving goons a coupon code for $16, obviously). Always price higher than you think. You can have "sales" and whatnot if you were wrong, but it's hard to start charing more all of a sudden if you realize you were wrong on the low side.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

unlawfulsoup posted:

I thought everyone knew that bathroom tone is the best possible tone in conventional housing arrangements. Closets, pfft.

Only if the trim is unpainted tonewood..

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

TopherCStone posted:

You seem very enthusiastic about wikis, but personally I'd prefer a sneaker net system for our indie cred

I'll design the instrument-case USB sticks.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

peter gabriel posted:

Ah, thanks guys, I skim read the page and thought it was a tool to import your own songs.

If you get it on steam there are a billion custom DLC tracks that community authors have made. Like, thousands.

There is a rocksmith thread here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3587654

And the site with all the custom DLC is Customs Forge: http://customsforge.com

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

TopherCStone posted:

I'll keep that in mind, I've been meaning to play around with Swift anyway.

Current progress! Color scheme doesn't play well with text especially on the indigo, it seems. Also the graphics library I'm using has pretty awful text rendering (notice how some notes are blurry and some are jaggy). Still, now it has the note names, it clears out the canvas before redrawing a new scale, and all notes of a given degree are drawn on a layer, so I can soon selectively enable and disable layers to highlight chords of the scale. As soon as I have that working, I'll put it up on a site so you guys can play with it.

To add my $0.02 to design chat, I spent a few mins doing up something....

I'd make sure legibility is the most important thing. That said, what is "legibility" from your user's standpoint? Here I can read all the notes easily, and I quickly know which is the root because of it's inverted color scheme:

I can make a certain position "more legible" by fading back others:

We can provide more info by making certain notes more visually prominent; here the 3rd and 5th:

We can even provide that info without labels to make the pattern "legible" while still clearly showing the root:

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

baka kaba posted:

Looks good! You need flats in there though, G# should be Ab (or you get repeating note names, like C and C# instead of C and Db). It's easier to remember when there's one of each

It's open source, time to learn you some javascript!

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

baka kaba posted:

The best part is it's already web scale :haw:

There are not enough :downsrim: on the internet for this.

And I am still laughing far too hard at it

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Verizian posted:

Depends how loud you want to play. Your only real worry is low frequencies, if you push them too hard they can wreck the speaker.

Semi-related question: I have a small solid state 10W fender amp I use when I don't want to fire up my tube amp. Will a 7-string have any effect on it's speaker, or is that hard to say w/o know the specifics?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
So for some stupid reason I have it my head to build a guitar. I was thinking of starting with a Guitar Fetish tele kit to sort of get my feet wet, since it's dirt cheap. I understand I'm buying the lowest end of the lowest end, and if I manage to get a vaguely playable instrument out of it, that will be a bonus. Is this a bad idea? Is there a better way to learn the ropes that is cheap? Cheap is important because I suspect I may get all :effort: and never finish, so I don't want to blow a bunch of cash on the first one. Also, I'm terrified of soldering for some reason. Will someone hold me and tell me it's not that bad?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Just ordered a tele kit with crazy discount codes from Guitar fetish. I'll post about how I burned my house down trying to solder in a week or so.

Lumpy fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Nov 28, 2015

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Captain Apollo posted:

Holy crap will you post a step by step guide? Alternatively, is there already an existing user guide for this?

This would be an AWESOME way to get a custom guitar!

Is it just assemble and throw in some pickups? Or do you need to sand the frets etc etc?

I haven't the faintest idea what I'm doing, so I am not qualified to write any sort of guide. I will document what I do for hilarity if you'd like.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
My patented "when should I change my strings" methodology: Did I just break a string? Okay, time to change strings.

I know I should change them more, but in the little half hour here and there I get to spend time with the guitar, I'd rather play old strings than changes them. :smith:

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Professor Science posted:

Help I need to learn some random songs to get myself out of a practicing rut. Tell me some random songs to learn. Bonus points if they are (a) challenging and (b) don't require lots of different tunings because I am lazy.

One by Metallica.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

TollTheHounds posted:

More Steve Stine guitar lesson supremacy:

Learn to Solo in 5 minutes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KorP9lq1voU

It really works! Now I just need a looper pedal so I can have some real fun with this. Recommendations?

I really like that guy. Explains things well and just seems to be a really nice person.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
So this video of Satriani talking about the modes popped up in my 'Recommended' on YouTube and for some reason I found amazingly enlightening. It's not a "this is the Dorian Mode, this is the Lydian mode" thing, he's just sort of talking about modes and so on while playing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i43DIwB6Pok

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
I was looking at a looper based on the discussion a few pages back, and then I though "maybe I'll pick up a distortion or a pitch shifter for RockBand a well" and then I would up getting a Digitech RP360 XP because it's all of those things!! It came yesterday and I haven't had a chance to play with it yet, but I figure it will keep me occupied gear wise for at least a few weeks when you guys tell me what an idiot I am and I wind up buying a whole mess of pedals anyway. :cry:

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Stealthgerbil posted:

Has anyone built a guitar from one of those kits? It sounds really fun and I might get a cheap tele kit like http://www.byoguitar.com/Guitars/Electric-Guitar-Kit---Tele-Style__BYO-T.aspx , some wood stainer, a can of clear coat, and some sandpaper and assemble it.

I know its going to be poor quality and the electronics are going to be awful but it sounds fun.

I'm in the process of doing so (with a different kit, but a tele as well!) and it's interesting and fun as long as you go into it knowing (as you seem to) that the guitar will be pretty "meh" and that you might wind up with a useless hunk of garbage because you can't solder.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
So I have a Telecaster 3-way switch that came with some wiring on it (Guitar Fetish kit) and no diagram.

I get that wires W and B go to the input jack, and that wire G is for grounding on the bridge (at least I hope so.) The trouble is where to wire the pickup signal wires.

I found this one posted online (top one) and pulled this one form a PDF:

The one from the PDF looks more like the wiring I have, but only has 7 switches. Since I have no clue what I'm doing, I'm hoping someone can learn me... or tell me to buy a new switch or something.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

bvoid posted:

I don't know how this thread feels about Squiers, but Adorama has amazing deals on them right now. Squier CVC for $299 is a steal. Free shipping too.

http://slickdeals.net/f/8657218-squier-guitars-classic-299-vintage-250-affinity-or-vontage-145-free-shipping

Oh god, I think I'm going to buy a Bass just because can I really afford not to for $149 shipped?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

fullroundaction posted:

Finally broke down and got the Ultimate Guitar app since trying to browse tabs on mobile has become a nightmare I'm no longer willing to endure. Sure wish I had pulled the trigger along time ago. It's capital G Good.

That's all I've got.

Two come up when I search: "Tab Pro" and "Ultimate Guitar", both by the company 'ultimate guitar'. Which one are you referring to, and what's the difference. Also, how much will I be plunking down for in-app purchases to make it usable...

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Milosh posted:

I'm thinking about buying a stratocaster kit, does anyone have any recommendations?

Do you mean a "build a guitar from pieces parts" kit, or the "starter kit with guitar and amp" kind?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

AlphaDog posted:

This just happened and I'm frightened:

Should I post a thread here about trying to build it, or would it be better over in DIY/Hobbies?

That reminds me... I need to finish my tele build....

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Spanish Manlove posted:

That's not all that bad. Do you need the specific rocksmith cable or can any 1/4 to USB work fine?

(or alternatively does it recognize USB interfaces?)

You need the RS one due to patented gently caress YOU UBI$OFT DRM in the cable itself.

EDIT: You can sometimes find old copies of RS1 on sale with the cable included for ~$10, so keep an eye out for that as well.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
I also have a question for cool guitar dudes about recording. Thanks to recent discussion, I grabbed Reaper and will attempt to make something resembling music at some point. Question: for my first foray into this, will a Rocksmith cable be "good enough" as an input, or will it be so bad / I will get so much more out of a real interface (Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 or similar) that I should go ahead and grab one.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Came across this as a "suggested video" on YouTube, and thought it might interest some. Steve Vai talking about "Deeper Than Technique".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7G3zDCf8Mzc

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
So I have been goofing off recording stuff in the trial version of Reaper, and am having fun with it. Enough so that I am going to continue doing this for awhile, so it's time to buy. But what to buy! I'm torn between Reaper (since I've used it for a bit now and like it) + EZDrummer 2 on on hand, or Logic Pro X with the built in drummer dealie. Cost-wise they are about the same, so that's not a factor. Has anyone used both enough to recommend one over the other? Both seem like good options, so I don't think I'll be upset either way, but I'd love to hear form those of you who know a lot more than I.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

a retard posted:

Anyone here own any guitars from Monoprice? I was thinking of picking up a blue Retro Vision (their Telecaster model) and just wanted to know how they are quality wise.

I picked one up as a science experiment about a year and a half ago. For the price, I was somewhat impressed by it. As long as you are expecting nothing but a cheap guitar that doesn't have any glaring defects, then go for it. I got the Les Paul knockoff, so maybe it's apples and oranges, but it's a working, playable instrument for dirt cheap.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Soarer posted:

Let's talk strings. I had a string snap on me for the first time and while it seems dead simple to replace I was wondering what you more experienced guitar goons would recommend in terms of brand and such.

It was the sixth string that snapped but I figure I might as well restring them all. Is that advisable or over kill?

I'm mainly using this guitar for Rocksmith so playing a decent assortment of music. Guitar is a Schecter Hellraiser with active pickups if that makes a difference when choosing new strings.

My preferred brand of strings is the best and all others suck. Other people will try and tell you their preferred brand of strings is best and that mine sucks, but they are wrong.

And yes, restring the whole thing.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

comes along bort posted:

I've been using something called Burny Mesa OS. It came in a giant rar with the guitarhack, sperimental, some lame Andy Sneap stuff, and a bunch of other things.

e: this place has a ton http://www.halifaxmusicians.ca/impulses/files/

Thanks so much for that link... that is an amazing resource!

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Southern Heel posted:

I bought a cheap interface the first time around (2i2 1st Gen) and it was a pain in the arse - it didn't have padding so any hot microphone or guitar signal would cause clipping. I just spent the extra 50 to get the 2i4 and honestly it's fantastic.

I've found that with DAW/recording/audio equipment really the quality-of-life differences when you go above the bare minimum is pretty significant. For example, the FocusRite has proper ASIO drivers so you don't need to gently caress around with ASIO4ALL.

I have a 2i2 and it works well for me, but I guess I don't have hot pickups? How would you tell if you are being clipped by your interface?

Lumpy fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Aug 29, 2016

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Serotonin posted:

I've done some research and apparently the 2nd gen 2i2 and Solo has fixed the clipping issue. 2nd gen Scarlets have the Focusrite logo on the top in white , first gen black.

Cool. I have a 2nd gen and saw in their specs / blurb about how they addressed clipping (apparently by adding 8db headroom or something) before I picked it up, but it still doesn't have an explicit "pad" button I guess. I'm still a total n00b so I'm glad for the confirmation on what I sort of kind of thought.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

jwh posted:

Try SublimeText or Atom.

You can also use TextEdit, making sure to select "Make Plain Text" in the format menu.

Comedy option: MacVim

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

muike posted:

I just need it to make a protective layer over a cavity cover...I got it signed, even though i've literally never cared about signatures before

get a super thin piece of transparent acrylic / whatever and cut a top layer pick guard to go over it!